Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 05:33:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772996
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 212
Total: 212

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: AIDS cure research for everyone  (Read 10956 times)

Offline veritas

AIDS cure research for everyone
« on: August 16, 2010, 07:14:53 am »

Offline ElZorro

Re: AIDS cure research for everyone
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 10:17:02 am »
Very interesting stuff, V.  Also, very disappointing when one reads the sections about how disgracefully underfunded the research community is.

Thanks for posting.

Offline tkeyspet

• TK its me lol
    • http://comsoftlimbe.yolasite.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 11:04:17 am »
Very interesting but from what i read and what is currently here is difficult to see why we should Expect HAART to provide for a cure when all it does is to disturb the life cycle of the virus at some stage, correct me if i am wrong but the current medicines fail to do the following 1, Going  after the virus like targeting the virus itself and destroying it (rather interrupts some stages), they don't make the Vulnerable cells immune to the virus, so if the source is not controlled its obvious that stopping the med will also lead to rebounds, even if the rebound of the virus were to happen and we had immune cells then the virus would have no target, if we want a cure we have to  consider that.

Thanks

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 11:20:16 am »
The way I read the information (and other information posted here) is that HAART is successfully "controlling" viral replication (so long as one adheres). The next step is to clear the reservoirs that can continue to produce new virus so that HAART is no longer needed. As the information that Veritas posted stresses, though, without adequate funding, it's going to take a long time for that to be accomplished....  :-\

Offline veritas

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 04:17:54 pm »

Right on  Zorro !

tkey, research is looking at many ways to eliminate the virus (many of which have been posted in this forum). However, like everything , it takes money.

v

Offline tkeyspet

• TK its me lol
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 04:27:08 am »

Offline veritas

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 05:04:02 am »

tkey,

I knew poly-peptides were being used in hiv research, but to use them directly to kill the infected cells sounds, well, cool. Thanks for the link.

v

Offline tkeyspet

• TK its me lol
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 08:45:52 am »
more info on that one

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100818205306.htm

http://www.aidsrestherapy.com/content/pdf/1742-6405-7-31.pdf

when u read my earlier post i think you agree with my argument -  :D this is excellent stuff
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:47:59 am by tkeyspet »

Offline veritas

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 04:24:07 pm »

tKey,

Yea, I have to agree. I especially liked the following in the abstract:

"A correlation between increase in the integration of Human Immunodeficiency
virus-1 (HIV-1) cDNA and cell death was previously established. Here we show that
combination of peptides that stimulate integration together with the protease inhibitor
Ro 31-8959 caused apoptotic cell death of HIV infected cells with total extermination
of the virus. This combination did not have any effect on non-infected cells. Thus it
appears that cell death is promoted only in the infected cells. It is our view that the
results described in this work suggest a novel approach to specifically promote death
of HIV-1 infected cells and thus may eventually be developed into a new and general
anti-viral therapy"

I know the stuff is preliminary and still has to be proven safe as well as therapeutic in humans, however, this type of research shows there is a pathway to a cure.

Thanks again for the follow up!

v

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 05:38:25 pm »
This is great stuff. I can't help but believe that the end is in sight. There are so many postings that are referencing "in lab" eradication and cures that something has to happen.

Keep 'em coming!  ;)

Offline xman

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 07:07:44 pm »
Are there any studies about the reason why some cells activates? I mean those cells which carry inactive HIV. Why they activate only when you stop HAART? Is it the virus itself which escapes those cells because it feels that no more drugs are in the bloodstream? Perhaps a stupid question and probably answered in the past but what is the mechanism that activates those cells harbouring the virus once you stop the meds? It seems more reasonable that low amount of virus still present during treatment present in the blood starts again replicating.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 07:09:21 pm by xman »

Offline tkeyspet

• TK its me lol
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 09:32:20 am »
i think a clear understanding of the way the drugs work is verry important, like what happens after infection- i think when hiv infect a person it integrates its DNA into the host cell, now all the drugs called HAART does not remove or destroy the blueprint for making the virus this make the virus becomes latent (pro virous particles) they active when the environment is ripe, like when you are taking drugs your constantly making the environment difficult for them to activate.

thanks i hope this answers your question  :D

Offline veritas

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 09:52:36 am »

Here is why some latent cells activate:

http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/recent/2010/0312_2010_a.html

Although difficult to eradicate, it might be possible.

v

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 10:14:52 am »
I am OK with treatment for the rest of my life but will never give up my hope for a cure.  Advances are likely to continue and I do believe that success is eminent in the future. 

Offline AIDSPolicyProject

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 12:59:27 pm »
Hi,

I'm one of the authors of AIDS Cure Research for Everyone. I just want to encourage you to check out our web site at www.AIDSPolicyProject.org and our Cure blog at http://aidspolicyproject.blogspot.com/

On the blog (a simple & humble blog so far), we'll be interviewing leading researchers, and following folks who are participating in cure studies.

You can subscribe to the blog by clicking one of the links at the top. Also, we have a Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-AIDS-Policy-Project/187761083716  . All these things have different information on them.

You can also sign up for updates from our group at list@aidspolicyproject.org

We're organizing AIDS cure town meetings around the country, including one soon in Philadelphia that will be lead by a leading researcher (still working out the details).

Please spread the word.

Thanks,

Katie

Offline alliance

• hmmmm. . .
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 08:00:46 pm »
I am OK with treatment for the rest of my life but will never give up my hope for a cure.  Advances are likely to continue and I do believe that success is eminent in the future. 

I agree with you. There could be a worse treatment than my Atripla, (like none)  but I hate this shit and I want this crap done. For good.! >:(    :)
Let's kick this crap's ass, people!
"The influence of each human being on others in this life is a kind of immortality."
10/10/12   CD4=378  %=32   VL=UD
5/10/12     CD4=426  %=32  VL=UD
11/15/11   CD4=296  %=29  VL=UD(20)
6/15/11     CD4=345  %=29  VL=UD(38)
3/15/11     CD4=317  %=31  VL=UD
12/1/10     CD4=315  %=28  VL=UD
8/11/10     CD4=250  %=25  VL=UD
6/10/10     CD4=380  %=24  VL=UD
3/4/10       CD4=340  %=22   VL=UD
1/11/10     CD4=312  %=22   VL =130
11/30/09   CD4=228  %=19  VL=1726
11/20/09    started atripla
10/15/09   CD4=281  %=18   VL=85,000

Offline veritas

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 09:33:15 am »

Katie,

"On the blog (a simple & humble blog so far), we'll be interviewing leading researchers, and following folks who are participating in cure studies"

Thanks for posting and a BRAVO for launching your "cures blog". Many POZ people are interested in  up-to-date research, especially concerning cures, when told by those doing the research themselves. It's really about time that such research comes out of the "closet" with forthcoming information to show that this disease will finally be defeated. This plague has lasted too long!

I wish you well in your endeavor and I ,for one, will be checking out your blog as it develops. I hope you will come back to post now and then here on AIDSMEDS forum.

v

Offline lmdo

• 35 years old
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 09:29:42 pm »
I hope there is a serious groundswell of support in the community for work like this that is going on. I agree with the guy who posted that he is thankful for Atripla but there are so many other side effects associated with taking it, that talk of a cure brings tears to my eyes.

Bring on the cure!

Offline AIDSPolicyProject

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 04:01:18 pm »
Hi,

We're about to launch a letter-writing campaign to the head of the NIH. Please check out our Facebook page and web site for information (starting in the next couple days). We need a LOT of letters calling for $240 million for AIDS cure research. So far, the NIH is spending only 3% of its AIDS research budget on a cure.

Also, coming up in Philly, there's:
Town Meeting on AIDS Cure Research
November 18
7 pm
15th and Cherry Streets
Philadelphia, PA

Thanks for the encouragement,

Katie
AIDS Policy Project
www.AIDSPolicyProject.org

Offline lmdo

• 35 years old
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 05:55:04 am »
Excited to hear about your new push for cure research!!

Go for it people!

It takes people with drive, and vision to achieve things and it seems you are trying your hearts out!!

Well done,

XX

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.