Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:20:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 226
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 195
Total: 196

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Is his rash kaposi?  (Read 6342 times)

Offline pauleddy

Is his rash kaposi?
« on: April 29, 2013, 12:30:33 am »
We live in Thailand and my BF is Thai.

He had a poz test 8 weeks ago and bad PCP and thrush which is now a lot better. his CD4 was 54. he is now fatter, stronger and more relaxed since starting HAART. He will have another CD4 check in 1 month--the Thai medicaid is not very efficient and won't spend money on poor people, except providing Combivir and other regular meds.

My BF has a raised irregular reddish rash all over his neck/upper torso with a couple of patches in the groin. Some of the spots are 1cm and elongated, but to me they have the grape colour of KS. There were 2 or 3 on his groin which were quite large grapes.

the HIV doc sent us to the Medicaid Dermatologist who saw us for about 2 minutes, said "keloid" and gave us Fucidin cream. My BF is quite dark skinned so keloid is a possibility after cuts or accidents.

I cannot find anywhere on the web which says that a new HIV diagnosis gives keloid scarring. Has anybody any ideas about this?

If it is KS, will it just get better when the CD4 goes up? Or will there be scars? My BF meets clients in publishing, but he can't wear a full shirt collar in this heat.

I probably need a second opinion, but we are not rich. I was shocked to have no biopsy done, but this is medicaid in Thailand we are talking about.

I am caucasian and was an RN for many years. but, my knowledge is not good enough to relate KS to keloid with a new diagnosis.

If we do not have biopsy, laser or whatever, will the KS (if true) just go away? How long? When? we are so worried. The whole thing is very depressing for both. If anyone can provide clues, i have enough knowledge to grasp.

I can only guess that the neck and groin must relate to lymph glands--which surely means KS?

thanks

Eddy :-\

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Is his rash kaposi?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 12:48:27 am »
Hi Paule , welcome to the forum  . I have moved your thread into the appropriate forum so that you might get more reply's .

I would talk to a doctor again to confirm whether your BF has Kaposi Sarcoma but I can tell you that many times KS does resolve and can eventually fade over time .

I had KS and my lesions were pretty stubborn and resistant to treatment but after my CD4 count improved they did fade , in my situation it took years to get where I am now .

Best of luck and again , welcome .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline pauleddy

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 01:03:08 am »
Thanks Jeff

Hope that I get replies. we really don't know what to do.

I think that the Dermatologist was a bit phobic, and just said something to make us go away.

Some Thai people do get keloid, I think, but it is normally a result of cuts or nose piercing. I really can't see a link to keloid if someone had a rash and PCP for 2 months and then gets a Poz test.

Glad that your KS went. Did it just fade over many years? If this is KS, we are not sure that Fucidin antibacterial cream is doing anythg---but is there anything else to be done? Surgery? Laser? Or wait?

thx

eddy

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 01:27:39 am »
The preferred course of action for external KS lesions is to get the viral load down and the cd4 count up and in most cases it resolves that way .

I had a pretty bad lesion that took radiation treatments and chemo therapy . If I had it to do over I probably wouldn't have treated mine so aggressively or just had the one bad one treated with radiation .

KS is frightening and I do not want to add to your concerns and make it sound as if any two cases of KS should be treated the same . Its understandable and a good thing you are educating yourself about this but I would be remiss if I didn't urge you to seek out a doctor who has experience diagnosing and treating KS ... I wouldn't be surprised if it is KS that your doctor would take a wait and see approach .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline pauleddy

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 01:38:30 am »
Thanks again Jeff

The lesions are still red, but the groin ones, which were larger, have turned smaller and more plum or chocolate in colour.

Obviously, you are correct in advising us to get another opinion.

If we are speaking of lesions going away with CD4 upping, are we talking months or years? If the KS just goes with the CD4 going up, are there scars for most people?

i know it is hard to say, but any clues are better than none.

eddy
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 01:40:56 am by pauleddy »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 01:51:12 am »
It would only be guessing if I were to try to predict a time line for a remission because it all depends on ART therapy success or how long it takes to achieve success .

Unless KS is effecting vital organs , waiting for the immune system to recover is most likely the course of action ... I have lived with it since 94 or 95 and with treatment it got better , so you are going to have to look at this as something that's going to take time , how long I don't know .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Pozdudesh

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 06:03:47 am »
Hey Eddy,
I have similar issues about a year ago, I am a Chinese living in shanghai...
If u want to talk in private ,send me ur messenger or email..
Cheers
Chris

Offline pauleddy

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 06:06:13 am »
mail  pev100@live.com

skype paulbangkok1

Thks

Offline Pozdudesh

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 06:20:16 am »
Added u on skype...

Offline pauleddy

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 09:37:31 am »
Very useful Chris, thanks.

a medical book says that keloid KS is very rare

I didn't know that there were variations of KS.

But, it seems that things will get better when the CD4 goes up, even though it could be months.

If anyone else has any ideas, pls msg me here

Thx

Eddy

Offline Pozdudesh

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 12:57:25 am »
You're welcome! Glad to help... It took me a year to recover from my fungal rushes.. I think a test still needed... My diagnosis is confirmed after they drilled a hole and sucked some fluid from my bone  :o
Seems only around 10%cases have skin complication caused by fungal related OIs,and the treatment is recommended for 12months,coz the possible relapse .
It's just my experience ,if this is the case for ur bf... The hospital and the doctor I mentioned , I think she could help to confirm..
I am going for diving in Malaysia via bkk in July with my hubby, let me know how it goes ,wish u guys all the best!
Chris

Offline Pozdudesh

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 01:01:36 am »
Btw U need to bring ur bf to see a eye doctor to rule out possible issue due to his low cd4 counts.

Chris

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.