Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:54:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 608
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 598
Total: 599

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I plan on getting off of medicaid when I return to work...  (Read 3562 times)

Offline idee

• Hi...
I plan on getting off of medicaid when I return to work...
« on: July 07, 2014, 01:00:54 am »
I finish my program this December 2014. I plan on looking for volunteer work if I am unable to find a paying position right away to gain work experience in my career field.
I have looked into the Affordable Care Act and Medical Insurance Plan quotes seem expensive, does anyone here have experience in how the affordable Care Act works and have regular Medical Insurance not Medicaid or Medicare.
I am looking for a way off welfare to be able to live free of the property and income limits.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: I plan on getting off of medicaid when I return to work...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 09:18:02 am »
Idee, every state has their own "versions" if you will, of the ACA plans/costs. 

I know how you feel about wanting to get off state benefits, but think about it very carefully.  Also, check to see if your state has a Medicaid for working disabled people.  Indiana does, it's called Med Works, and one pays a premium for it based on income, and it's always active.  I believe there is one here where I now live, in Michigan.  So check into that.  Your assets are allowed to be higher on this type of Medicaid also. 

I would think carefully about wanting off Medicaid.  Think of everything it pays for you.  Of course, I'm not trying to discourage you from working etc., I work part time myself.  But, just think about it for a while, then make a decision.  And please, check into that type of Medicaid for working adults I was talking about.  Good luck.

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 05:17:16 am »
Idee, every state has their own "versions" if you will, of the ACA plans/costs. 

I know how you feel about wanting to get off state benefits, but think about it very carefully.  Also, check to see if your state has a Medicaid for working disabled people.  Indiana does, it's called Med Works, and one pays a premium for it based on income, and it's always active.  I believe there is one here where I now live, in Michigan.  So check into that.  Your assets are allowed to be higher on this type of Medicaid also. 

I would think carefully about wanting off Medicaid.  Think of everything it pays for you.  Of course, I'm not trying to discourage you from working etc., I work part time myself.  But, just think about it for a while, then make a decision.  And please, check into that type of Medicaid for working adults I was talking about.  Good luck.

Betty

I have been told that Montana has a Medicaid program where I can pay a premium when I work. The problem is regular Medicaid can put a lien on my home. So if I die it does not go to my daughter. I am not sure if Medicaid for working people does put a lien on their home. That is what I need to find out. Keeping Medicaid, I feel, invades my privacy. I have been on Medicaid since 1995. I am tired of hiding things or making excuses for why I am able to afford any thing. My daughter receives free lunches at school, so they already asked my daughter how come she has a laptop. Many people treat people on welfare as dumb.

Offline Since1993

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 03:17:25 pm »

I have been told that Montana has a Medicaid program where I can pay a premium when I work. The problem is regular Medicaid can put a lien on my home. So if I die it does not go to my daughter. I am not sure if Medicaid for working people does put a lien on their home. That is what I need to find out. Keeping Medicaid, I feel, invades my privacy. I have been on Medicaid since 1995. I am tired of hiding things or making excuses for why I am able to afford any thing. My daughter receives free lunches at school, so they already asked my daughter how come she has a laptop. Many people treat people on welfare as dumb.

How did they know your daughter had a laptop?  What they don't know won't hurt you.  As long as you pay for things with cash, don't have extra verifiable income by way of W-2, don't transact a lot with your banking, there's really not a lot that can be questioned in that regard.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.