Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:34:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 345
Total: 345

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Equivocal Test  (Read 12645 times)

Offline cbcheah9

Equivocal Test
« on: September 03, 2006, 12:00:37 pm »
 Going out of mind,

Hi this is my problem, i went for a med check-up because of some rashes om my penis.. Doc says is most likely contact dermatitis but ask if interested to do blood test for STD n HIV.
I Agreed to the testing n was told results wil be out in 2 days. That afternoon itself i received a call to do a HIV conformation test as doc says my initial test for HIV was equivocal   n for other STD was negative..

I tried seeking help from local AIDS counsellar who told me that 99% of equivocal results are +ve n is so mentioned to protect hospital's against lawsuit from false +ve. The thing is over the past 3 years in all my  sexual contacts i was wearing condoms!!!

Am still waiting for the 2nd test results to be out n the torture its getting worst by the minute.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Equivocal Test
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 12:12:42 pm »
I can't comment on your test result which is unclear.

Have you ever had  either unprotected vaginal or anal intercourse? Those are the highest risk behaviors sexually. When were you last tested for HIV?

If all of your incidents of intercourse have been protected the odds are in your favor that you will test negative no matter what you have been told thus far.

Please clarify if there is anything which may have thrown your HIV status into question whether sexually or because of IV drug use.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 12:15:32 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline cbcheah9

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 12:26:39 pm »
Dear Andy,
thanks for the reply..
Thats the things you c, I never  used drug oral/ iv  in my lifetime & the only addiction i have is to sex. Admittedly it has been commercial sex most of the time but never ever without condoms, even 80% of my oral sex is with a cap... I got the test done on last wed morn( 30th Aug 2006) n was requested  to come back to do a HIV comformation test in the evening that day. The doc says the reason is my first test is equivocal i.e. indeterminate n i need to do further test..

Doc wont comment further N thur was an off day in my country.. So on fri went to a local aids counsellar n was told of what i mentioned earlier...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 12:49:08 pm »
OK, then despite what the counselor said I would NOT assume the worst by any means. Given what you have reported reason dictates expecting a negative test result.

Indeterminate can happen for any number of reasons. So hold tight and stay busy until you get the next result. 

By the way, in general I always recommend that anyone who's sexually active should have a full STD panel done regularly -- at least once a year and twice a year is even better.

But as far as the current situation goes sit tight and focus your attention on other matters. You'll be amazed at how helpful that can be with making the time pass.

Keep us posted.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline cbcheah9

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 12:59:57 pm »
Dear Andy,
Thanks Andy, men i really hoped u r right coz its been hell for me the past 4 days. I know based u the postings   that my risk r relatively low but its what the counselar said thats really getting to me.. Her mentioning that all private hospitals will give an indeterminate results till the 2nd test is +VE has made life a living hell for me. N to add she is suppose to be an AIDS counsellar..

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 01:02:05 pm »
Yah, well I can't promise the test result but if you have had only protected intercourse -- well, condoms provide very effective protection.

So let's keep our fingers crossed for a happy result.
Andy Velez

Offline cbcheah9

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 01:16:26 pm »
Thanks Andy, am hoping & praying hard....

Offline cbcheah9

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 01:22:13 pm »
Hi Experts,

BTW Do any of u out there have any experience with this so called "equivocal results"???

Offline cbcheah9

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 03:20:30 pm »
Hi Andy & all other experts,
Am back Its actually 3amplus where i am but i jus couldnt sleep. This is the 4th day of me waiting for the results n suddenly i am so depressed, ive spent the last 3 days reading about being +ve to prepare myself jus incase but suddenly i feel that my whole world i collapsing under me... these weigh & burden of wating coupled will all the things that i've been told is realli killing me inside... Each time i try to stop thinking bout it the term EQUIVOCAL will always pop up..
I thought all this while i've been practicing safe sex(heterosexual) but i feel so lost with regards to my status now.. Pls tell me that there is still hope irregardless of the results...

Offline Ineedhelp

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 03:35:08 pm »
Hi, I know that I am hi-jacking you post, but I hope and pray that you feel better.
All the expert are off-line, I think some of them live in the UK(it is nighttime over there).

Offline james

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 03:41:41 pm »
Hi all the moderators are probably asleep,try and get some rest you will receive answers  tormorow,take a deep breath and  dont surf the net for answers it does more harm than good, the odds are in your favour since you dont practice unprotected sex,and dont worry too much right now about what the aids counsellor said.AS MY NURSE TOLD ME WHEN I WAS GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING YOU ARE "WE WILL CROSS THAT BRIDGE WHEN IT IS TIME"...and theN  deal with the situation,right NOW you  certainly dont have a situation,your mind is going in the wrong direction right now.......it seems you are worrying too much....get some rest and your post will be answered soon,they are really nice people here who will help you out and be there for you.I KNOW THIS FOR SURE.

Offline cbcheah9

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 03:46:04 pm »
Thanks u guys both of u. U r rite i've been thinking 2much of it n no good will come out of all this pessimistic thinking except the asylum

Offline Ineedhelp

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 03:49:41 pm »
I am not an expert in HIV in any form.
How long would that test result come in?

Offline cbcheah9

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 04:01:48 pm »
1-2 weeks time but on the lab form its written HIV conformation Test...Scary...

Offline Ineedhelp

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2006, 04:23:10 pm »
this may be a crazy idea, and you need to have the expert of the forum agree on this.

I don't know where you live, but are there testing center in your area where they provide result in 20 minutes?
If there are testing center that provide this test near you, and if you want to, you can go get this test when the sun comes up and end the wait. Again it is just an idea. Finally, i know I have no right to comment on post, but I just want to end your pain and anxiety.

Offline cbcheah9

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2006, 04:41:03 pm »
ya thanks for your sympathys i don think that a 20 min test is available here. Anyhow decided to check with the Doc concern about the outcome of the 1st test n to check whether the counsellor view that all  first test that is +ve is termed as equivocal until a conformation test is done.  Where you are   if the Elisa results are +Ve do they straight away say that it is +ve or will they termed it as equivocal until the WB test is done??

Offline Ineedhelp

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2006, 04:45:38 pm »
Where I live, if it is indeterminate on the ELISA, they will do a western blot.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2006, 05:59:11 pm »
While your concern/upset is totally understandable it's  all speculation on your part. Understandable but still speculation.

It might be worth your while to call any ASO in your area and ask if there is any speedier test available.

Inderterminate is just that....indeterminate. And by the way a positive is always confirmed by a western blot. The western blot is highly sensitive and if that turns out negative it is considered the definitive result.

Frankly, with the information you have given about your protected experiences it wouldn't make sense to me that you would get anything other than a negative result.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 06:00:55 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline cbcheah9

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2006, 10:03:28 pm »
Hi guys,
Am back after sleeping for 3 hours, this 2 days have been a nightmare as i've been on a very depressive state.. I call up the hospital today to tried to speak to the Doc(not a ID Spec) that recomended that i took the test.. Bloody hell she wouldn't even speak to me personally but instead ask me to speak through her nurse..

So i had to  ask everything through her. .When I ask what was the actual results that was written on the test results, this time she says it "weak +ve" n chances are it will be -ve for the 2nd test anyway   I've to wait for the outcome of the 2nd test to get a definate answer. So proceeded to ask that if the 2nd test is negative then what does this mean, she says the its consider -ve..

When i tried to probe further nurse ask me to speak to lab manager. Proceeded to try to pass the line to   the lab manager but he isis not around... Talk about being indifferent......Guess i expected more from the doc concern especially since its private health-care that i am personally paying for..

So my prognosis have gotten worse i guess from equivocal  to weak +ve...
What the hell is weak +ve am i +ve or -ve ?? Or am i in the seroconversion stage??.. Last possible exposure was 3 weeks ago from 2day again it vagina sex with condom...If i am at seroconversion are there any treatment methods that i can start early on?

Am so confused right now bout my status n yesterday i begin to think maybe i should end all this misery men.....

PLS PLS help anybody with experience....

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2006, 10:51:38 pm »
You need to put some serious effort into shifting your focus. Please don't tell you can't do that. You have a challenging waiting period to get through. Stay productively busy and do the good, deep and slow breathing everytime you become aware you're tensing up and you will amazed at what a difference it will make.

You're having feelings. Scary feelings will stick like crazy glue whenever you try to avoid or change them.

Stop with the giving up stuff. This is a hard life and it was even before this incident happened. And it will be again after it's over. That's just a part of the deal.

Now get busy with what I suggested. You and your life are not the thoughts that are scaring you. THey are only a part of your life. And there's no magic wand to wave in dealing with this. It takes effort on your part.

Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.