Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:47:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 358
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 334
Total: 336

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How often do you get blood drawn?  (Read 11818 times)

Offline SecretKeeper

How often do you get blood drawn?
« on: July 31, 2007, 11:57:51 pm »
My husband had his first blood draw in mid to late June and his docs are waiting 3 months before doing another one.  I'm concerned his docs aren't being as vigilant as they could be, but maybe I'm just an over-concerned wife.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
Re: How often do you get blood drawn?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 12:03:45 am »
Welcome to the Forums. Honestly, it may be hard to say but it could also be that your husband's number are pretty decent...cd4 and viral load along with some other things. I'm sure one of the other members can give you more information than me. I know when my numbers look good my doc usually schedules me every 3 months. And there is nothing wrong with being concerned about your husband. I suggest you read through some of the other threads. I'm sure you will find some information that could be helpful in understanding what is going on with your husband and this virus.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 12:30:57 am »
I get my drawn every four months!

Offline SecretKeeper

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 12:36:45 am »
His CD4 is a low 300 something (I think maybe 319) and his VL was 9000 - he was at 17%.  My concern is that he's developing all this "little" problems with his mouth - red spots all over the roof of his mouth.  He actually has had thrush for awhile now - that's what made him decide to get tested.  He's very obsessed about looking in his mouth and weighing himself every day - several times a day.  I'm worried there are things going on that he's not even telling me about.  He's very guarded about the whole thing and I never know if I'm getting the whole truth or only bits and pieces.
One day he tells me he's going to the doctor to ask them to start him on meds - the next day he tells me he feels like a million bucks and the pomegranate juice & 18 vitamins he's taking must be working miracles.
Do you think the doctors would draw again just to put his mind at ease - October is so far away!

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 01:14:40 am »
Hi Secret, welcome to the forums.

Your husband is newly diagnosed and going through ups and downs. The first test is usually setting a baseline so that you can see a trend with future tests, unless the first test is really bad, which is not the case here.

Being newly diagnosed it's very possible that his CD4 may jump back, and 319 is not bad anyway! The VL is low and the doctor is doing the usual thing, waiting 3 months to get a second draw and start getting a trend. Unless there is a dramatic change, you can't really tell much before the 3rd or 4th draw.

It's very tempting to get tested every day, every month, every week, but that doesn't help, he needs to let his body naturally fight the virus, and this takes time before you can actually see how the body reacts.

Taking meds at the beginning of the infection is being talked about now in the scientific community, but there have not been enough studies to really show a serious benefit of doing it that soon. Also, when you start meds, you cannot stop, and you must balance the potential side effects of using meds versus letting your body fight by itself and give it a boost if needed, later, and that could be in 6 months or a couple of years. Adherence, also, is a key to successful treatment, and this has to be discussed with his doctor, because those meds are very timing dependent, and missing doses can lead to virus mutation.

Drawing again may make things worse because as you may know the CD4s go up and down all the time during the course of the day, or show very good numbers and so he may think the pomegranate is the cure.

It is great that you seek the help on those forums, I'm sure many others will have good insight for you. I'm not familiar with thrush so I will let others chime in on that.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 04:39:17 am »
SK,

Although your husband may be newly diagnosed, his numbers don't really look like he's been newly infected.

What this means in terms of how often his has his blood drawn is that his doctor probably thinks his infection is already into a "stable" stage and checking his blood more often won't yield much new information. As long as he's being monitored at least once every three months, he should be fine.

You haven't mentioned in any of your posts so far, have you been tested? I'm hoping your silence on this aspect means that you tested negative.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline boylikertampa

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 09:46:58 am »
Since seroconverting 7 years ago, I have had blood drawn and tested every 3 months.  This seems to be the standard, according to my friends and medical people.

Offline racingmind

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 10:35:47 am »
My blood draws were fairly frequent at first, because I was newly infected....it seems the better my numbers are, the longer the period between the draws.  If I wanted to test more often I don't think my doctor would mind. In fact, I was consulting with him over the phone a few times when the tests were really close together to avoid office visits.  My doctor is cool that way....

I would say that if you want to test earlier than October, contact the doctor....I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem, but you'll never know unless you ask.   ;)
Tested Negative: 5/06
Tested Positive: 9/06 
9/06: CD4: 442 (28%) VL: +100,000
10/06: CD4: 323 (25%) VL: 243,440
11/06: CD4: 405 (28%) VL: 124,324
12/06: CD4: 450 (29%) VL: 114,600
1/07: CD4: 440 (27%) VL: 75,286
3/07: CD4: 459 (30%) VL: 44,860
5/07: CD4: 353 (24%) VL: 50,852
7/07: CD4: 437 (29%) VL: 39,475
9/07: CD4: 237 (32%) VL: 372,774
10/07: CD4: 324 (27%) VL: 115,454 
Started Atripla: 10/07
11/07: CD4: 524 (?%) VL: Undetectable!
2/08: CD4: 653 (35%) VL: undetectable
5/08: CD4: 822 (40%) VL: undetectable
8/08: CD4: 626 (35%) VL: undetectable
12/08: CD4: 619 (36%) VL: undetectable
3/09: CD4: 802 (38%) VL: undetectable
7/09: CD4: 1027 (43%) VL: not tested
10/09: CD4: 1045 (43%) VL: undetectable

Offline ubotts

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 12:56:46 pm »
When  I was living in NYC. they took bloodwork every month..
Now i live in NJ and they take blood every 3 months..
Boy was i relieved when i didnt have to go every month for bloodwork..Maybe NYC was just milking the
medicade system..Iam not sure... ???
Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 05:25:39 pm »
My husband had his first blood draw in mid to late June and his docs are waiting 3 months before doing another one.  I'm concerned his docs aren't being as vigilant as they could be, but maybe I'm just an over-concerned wife.

Hi. It's nice that your Husband has an "overconcerned" partner. There is no one-size-fits-all interval between blood work---depends on many factors, and varies at different times for the same individual patient. Being on top of things might not meet your criteria of "vigilance". It's not like HIV can be knocked out or killed off, so generally a few weeks here or there is of no importance. There's a balance between what can be achieved through intervention and what the body needs to accomplish on its own. I'll get my latest results tomorrow. I am concerned not that my VL will have grown, but by how much it may have grown. After 16+ years with HIV I will still sleep like a baby tonight. Trust me, you guys will get to that point as well. One healthy method of not worrying is doing something positive like walking, dancing, or biking together. Helps the psyche as well as immunity, good for both of you. In answer to your question, I get blood draws every 3-5 months.

8)  -megasept

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 05:49:10 pm »
Hello,

I get mine drawn, once every three months.( see below) It didn't start off that way though. As far as weighing oneself, Once a week for me is enough. I weigh myself the same day of the week, on the same scale at approx. the same time. Tell your husband to do that. And then write his weight down on the calendar, and if his weight fluctuates a couple pounds, one way or the other, he shouldn't be concerned about it. I can go up or down to or three pounds from one week to the next, but it usually remains pretty consistant. I've been marking my weight for years now, even before medication.

Is your husband  taking something for the thrush. It can be a persistant little bugger to get rid of. If he has been diagnosed with thrush, he should be taking something for it. ( Diflucan-for example)

How many blood test has your husband had? Can you post those results. Viral load, t-cell count and his percentage.

Take care of yourself-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 05:53:00 pm »
Too much. I'm surprised I have any left for myself.

Lately it's been every 2 months or so for labs, and then inbetween that I have blood taken for my thyroid junk and a couple of other things. You'd think I'd be used to it now, but they still have to give me Vitamin Water or orange juice and some crackers afterwards because I get woozy if they take more than one vial. I don't think it's the blood really, because shots/injections do it to me, too. I think I have a needle phobia thing going on.

I don't. Like. Needles. And my veins aren't very visible. My mom always cheerfully remarks that she never has to worry about me becoming an IV drug user on blood-drawing days. =D

Offline SecretKeeper

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 10:17:42 pm »
This was his first test.  We're pretty sure he got it early November, seroconversion occurred early December, and his first blood was drawn mid to late June.
CD4 319? (or close to that), VL 9000, 17%
(He's more obsessed with the numbers - I'm more obsessed with how he's feeling - mentally and physically)

Offline mjmel

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 09:59:29 am »
My labs: every 3 months.
Monthly testing: not usually done unless there is a need for an immediate follow-up when a new med(s) are introduce, or lab results show something spiking or dropping continuous or severely--developments of that nature.

Mike

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 02:30:02 pm »
I had many, many years (try a decade at least) where my blood was drawn and inspected on a monthly basis.  I'm an exceptional case, in so many ways.

A side benefit of my lipo is that the veins on my arms are so easy to see that eyes open in delight at my doctor's office.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Dan J.

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2007, 04:00:14 pm »
3 months

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 06:12:39 pm »

I was getting checked every month the first 3 months after diagnosis. Since the numbers were good, the doc switched me to every 3 months.
My bf didn't have as good numbers as me, and started treatment, so he had to keep getting checked every month to see if the meds worked. Now that his VL is undetectable, the doc is going for every 3 months for him as well, despite the fact that his CD4 aren't going up.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.