Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:29:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 368
Total: 372

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Diet for Men  (Read 30141 times)

Offline NycJoe

Diet for Men
« on: February 21, 2010, 10:01:13 am »
Does anyone have any tips on losing weight?  What diet plan worked for you etc?  My parents are both thin but for some reason my siblings and I are cursed with a few extra pounds.  Let's see,  I get HIV, I gain  weight, get kidney cancer I gain weight despite golf ball sized tumor removed, then diverticulitis, lose then gain weight plus some!  I am in school full time along with a clinical rotation and work so little time available.  I know different diets work for different people but I would love to hear of anyones success stories.  I am 5'10" and 218 and for my build a good weight is 185-190.  I am 43 and want to take care of this now!  Thanks..Joe

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: Diet for Men
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 10:50:58 am »
Bottom line, increase caloric output, decrease caloric input.

General rule of thumb for me is....

1) Don't eat anything deep fried or overly processed
2) Drink only water/juice/milk
3) Exercise every day

Do not starve yourself, your body will basically dig in its heels and lower your metabolism in response.  There is no magic diet that will make the weight come off if you eat more than you're supposed to and don't exercise.  You want to eat regular small meals to keep your body under the impression that it has plenty of fuel and can burn the excess.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 11:48:05 am »
Exercise. And see a nutritionist.
Avoid: hydrogenated fats always, saturated fats too often, anything with fructose on the ingredient list.
Read a book about nutrition and understand you are what you eat.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 11:53:19 am »
Read a book about nutrition and understand you are what you eat.

That's actually a very profound statement that people don't always think about.  You literally are the physical components of the things you put in your body.  If all you eat is complete trash, then guess what your body has to build itself out of.  Eating fresh fruit and vegetables is so good for you, anyone who doesn't eat them in my opinion is condemning themselves to serious health issues eventually.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 01:13:03 pm »
Hey Joe,

I hear you regarding the weight loss dilemma.

I am 5'11", weigh 185 pounds. The doctor wants me to lose 10-15 pound, placing me at between 170 and 175.

I am having a hell of a time dropping the weight. When I was younger, I could drop weight without a thought. Now, it takes effort and I still have minimal success

I like the suggestion regarding reading up on nutrition. I did that and have had some success on other levels.

I had to drop my cholesterol/triglycerides or face more meds. I did it by switching to a more Mediterranean diet.

It is really not difficult. More vegetables and whole fruits, whole grains (not just stuff "made with" whole grains), and more fish, skinless, boneless chicken or sometimes pork, and only in modest amounts.

I managed to drop my lipids, but I didn't lose any weight. Now, I want to lose the weight.

I guess my best bet is to alter my diet, or be more restrictive when it comes to portions, and to exercise more. often.

This may be something you may want to look at.

Edited to add: Start reading labels, they can sometime scare you!  :o  Also, watch sugar intake. Whether its sucrose, fructose, etc., its the same stuff. While fruit can be beneficial, be judicious with fruit juice. It is loaded with carbs and doesn't contain the fiber that the whole fruit does.
I find I do better having a small glass of skim milk. It tides me over better and I am not dumping a lot of empty calories into my body.

Just a thought.

Good luck and happy eating! ;)

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 01:24:02 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 01:23:42 pm »
Hot water with lemon and lots of cigarettes always works for me -- I learned this from working with Jean Doumanian in the 90's.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline aztecan

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 01:26:02 pm »
Hot water with lemon and lots of cigarettes always works for me -- I learned this from working with Jean Doumanian in the 90's.

I was 155 pounds until I quit smoking three years ago. Then I ballooned! :P

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 01:32:09 pm »
I was 155 pounds until I quit smoking three years ago. Then I ballooned! :P

I'm going to need visual proof of this I'm afraid.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 01:48:32 pm »
The tapeworm diet worked wonders for Maria Callas

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 02:12:59 pm »
I know nycjoe probably doesn't want to hear this, but isn't 190 lbs. for 5'10" still on the overweight side?  I'm 5'11" and 180 lbs is still 5 lbs overweight unless it's a lot of muscle.

But back to seriousness, perhaps it would be helpful if the OP could provide us with a weekly diary of what he's consuming as far as food goes -- you'd need to provide this to a nutritionist anyway so you might as well start writing it down.  And don't fib on the diary!

Also, I'll assume from your screen name that you live in NYC.  When I lived there I didn't own a car (for obvious reasons) so I actually consumed more calories even outside of a gym environment than your average person that lives elsewhere.  And it's not just the walking on the street, but it's the fact that many buildings are so old they lack elevators depending on where you live, so going up and down stairs keeps your really healthy as well.  Same with subway use, etc.  Or do you live out in Queens and use a car?  Little changes in lifestyle like that can help, but you have to combine both calorie intake control and increase in cardio activity.  And if you want to work in free weights at the gym go lighter with higher reps, and move from one thing to another quickly without resting so much -- read up on "circuit training".

The bottom line is you can't just do some lame fad diet and expect the fat to melt away.  If you apply yourself at a gym, and change some daily things like I just described which should be easy in an urban environment, you shouldn't have to starve yourself to lose 30-40 lbs over the course of a year.  I know you say you are in school and working and don't have enough time, but the gym really only requires an hour a day.  Really the more difficult part is shopping for better food and cooking instead of ordering take out and grabbing bags of potato chips.  I guess basically for you the choice is a major decrease in free time for social activity and an increase in gym time and cooking at home.

When I did my major gym bunny years I simplified things by eating grilled chicken breasts, brown rice and steamed broccoli almost every night, or at least that was my fall back simplified meal.  You can easily switch in other grilled items (mostly fish, sometimes a small steak), and of course there are many other vegetables to steam, but this is all simple to cook.  It's kind of bland, yes, but you can use some dried spices on the chicken and cook the rice in low sodium chicken stock.  But really this is about as low fat as you can get.

Offline mecch

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 02:49:42 pm »
Also, watch sugar intake. Whether its sucrose, fructose, etc., its the same stuff. While fruit can be beneficial, be judicious with fruit juice. It is loaded with carbs and doesn't contain the fiber that the whole fruit does.

Fructose as a sweetener in processes/prepared foods is not the same as sucrose.  Sucrose is used the day you eat it, for energy - fructose is easily stored as fat.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 06:12:42 pm »
NYCJoe, you can also visit a nutritionist (at no cost) at GMHC...the nutritionists there are really great.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 09:11:23 pm »
Lots of great suggestions on here.  Everybody's metabolism is different.  For me, I have always been thin framed, but am getting a bit of a stomach.  For the most part though, I eat whenever and whatever I want --- the key for me is to only eat when I am really hungry.  I don't follow the whole breakfast, lunch, dinner thing.  There was a researcher in Washington who studied this type of eating and found that it does work for some people.  Funny thing is my brother eats fairly healthy and always has trouble with weight and cholesterol/triglycerides.  I have many times in my life been a big junk food eater, but weight has stayed good and cholesterol/triglcerides always perfect.  Don't know yet what effect my Atripla will have on that.  Since being diagnosed positive, I notice that I am getting more of a pouch in my stomach.  When I started eating a little more healthy --- i.e. more vegetables, less fat -- I got diagnosed with diverticulitis -- go figure.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 10:20:42 pm »
Humm.........let me see?  went to My ID Doctor, I said I Think I'm too fat , she says NO, your not,
at 6'3 and age 53, I weigh-in at 197lbs, doc says, you shouldn't be under 185lbs, if you get lower than that
you will look thin for your age, height, cause your big boned, and have a large tall frame, doc also says I can weigh up to 214lbs, so your well under that, so, your not fat at all, does that sound right to any one of you?  ;D  so I found this chart, seems like she's correct, here's the chart:

http://www.d21c.com/AAALynx/2pr/heightweight.html
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 10:30:30 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline mecch

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 08:41:48 am »
6'3" and larged framed - you're not fat. I think she looked at you threw normal doctor eyes and normal women's eyes.
Gays can get a warped perspective on this.
Its in to be fleshy

Offline denb45

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 09:29:38 am »
6'3" and larged framed - you're not fat. I think she looked at you threw normal doctor eyes and normal women's eyes.
Gays can get a warped perspective on this.
Its in to be fleshy

No, I'm just OLD, most of you on this forum are at least 1 to 2 generations after me, so, yeah, I'm fucking old  ;D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 09:31:14 am by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline weasel

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 11:39:21 am »
Hey Joe ,
              Two weeks ago my I.D. Doctor told me to loose  FIFTY pounds !!!!!!!!!!!!

I am  6 foot weighed  240  pounds !

Mostly belly  :-[

Moving on ......

I eat Mediterranean style , We have NO fast food here in the woods .

The  BIG  CHANGE I made  was to take the advice of my Doctor and make a food journal !

and to use   SMALLER  plates and bowls . NO  seconds !

I cheat either Saturday or Sunday .

I have LOST  10  pounds in 12 days .

When I explained how much food i consumed my doctor was in AWE  :o

For some reason  a quart of spaghetti and meat balls is not a good breakfast ?

I eat a very diverse amount of food .  Mostly home made .

I have  also started to exercise ! NOT FUN yet .  I like the feeling of well being

that  activity brings on !

Be well   , good luck with your  reductions  :)

Carl

P.S.  I AM concerned with facial wasting , time will tell .....................
" Live and let Live "

Offline aztecan

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 03:53:08 pm »
I'm fucking old  ;D

Does this mean you want to literally be? ;) I qualify, regardless. :D

I love your chart. It shows me as underweight.  ;D

I still might like to lose about 10 pounds, but I'm not going to sweat it. I started back at the gym, or rather, at a new gym.

Damn, did I get out of shape fast! :o

I hope nycjoe is able to find a happy medium of diet and exercise for his weight issues.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 03:55:02 pm by aztecan »

Offline denb45

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 06:36:02 pm »
Does this mean you want to literally be? ;) I qualify, regardless. :D

I love your chart. It shows me as underweight.  ;D

I still might like to lose about 10 pounds, but I'm not going to sweat it. I started back at the gym, or rather, at a new gym.

Damn, did I get out of shape fast! :o

I hope nycjoe is able to find a happy medium of diet and exercise for his weight issues.

HUGS,

Mark

Yeah I liked that chart too, an 18 yr old and a 53 yr old isn't EVER gonna be the same weight, and You know, Mark......the only draw-back to working out ( and I do it 4 to 6 times a week) is you'll eat more, that is the only thing I DON'T like about doing it so much, but, I must admit tho, it keeps me in shape, except for my lipo-belly, I'm afraid, I'm gonna have to just live with that, as doing 100 tummy
crunches per day really does NOTHING for it  :-[ plus being 53 doesn't really help much, but I'll take my in-shape 53 yr old self ,and just be fucking old, it's the best I can hope for  LOL! ;)   NycJoe 43 isn't old at all, and I think if you just adjust your diet a little, adding some good cardio and strength training, you should do fine  ;)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 06:52:26 pm by denb45 »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 07:46:07 pm »
Humm.........let me see?  went to My ID Doctor, I said I Think I'm too fat , she says NO, your not,
at 6'3 and age 53, I weigh-in at 197lbs, doc says, you shouldn't be under 185lbs, if you get lower than that
you will look thin for your age, height, cause your big boned, and have a large tall frame, doc also says I can weigh up to 214lbs, so your well under that, so, your not fat at all, does that sound right to any one of you?  ;D  so I found this chart, seems like she's correct, here's the chart:

Wow, this chart says I should weigh 197? That's never going to happen. I'm 5'11 and 156, and I already eat anything that crosses my path and I can barely sustain my weight as it is.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline denb45

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 07:57:25 pm »
Wow, this chart says I should weigh 197? That's never going to happen. I'm 5'11 and 156, and I already eat anything that crosses my path and I can barely sustain my weight as it is.

-Will

egats.............I was you about 3 yrs ago, (could  barely sustain my weight) until my doctor changed all of my Meds, then I started eating EVERYTHING in sight, and working out, and eating some more, if i had sex as much as I worked out and eat, I'd be VERY SATISFIED  :o

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 07:58:02 pm »
I'm 5'11" as well and at 162 I was skin and bones so I guess some of it is your build.  I can't even imagine what I would look like at 156.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 08:01:53 pm »
The chart says 208 for me at 6'1 --- I'm 174 -- problem is when I do gain weight it all goes to my stomach and sometimes my body counteracts my weight gaining efforts in its own devious way (translate: mucho bathroom breaks)  :o
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline aztecan

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 12:39:48 am »
I'm 5'11" and, up until three years ago, weighed between 153 and 155 pounds.

I once dropped to about 140 pounds after becoming quite ill once. But, once I recovered, I bounced back to a robust 150 in less than a year.

The funny thing is, everyone says I look better now, at 185 pounds and 30 pound heavier than I used to be.  ???

HUGS,

Mark

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 08:43:03 am »
I'm 5'11" as well and at 162 I was skin and bones so I guess some of it is your build.  I can't even imagine what I would look like at 156.

I'm the same height.  You should have seen me at 142 lbs in 2002.  I looked like a crack addict in those Intervention series.  But hey, at that point I was also at year 14 of infection and still hadn't suppressed my viral load.

Offline denb45

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2010, 10:17:21 am »
I'm the same height.  You should have seen me at 142 lbs in 2002.  I looked like a crack addict in those Intervention series.  But hey, at that point I was also at year 14 of infection and still hadn't suppressed my viral load.

Well the thing is with HIV...........and this is what my doctor told me, she said you really don't want to be skinny or too under weight, if you have LIPO you will look EVEN WORSE, and lets like face it, NOBODY even on this Forum wants to go around looking like some strange-lipoed-out-crack whore, a nice healthy look is a hell of a lot better  ;D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 10:20:14 am by denb45 »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2010, 10:44:03 am »
Well the thing is with HIV...........and this is what my doctor told me, she said you really don't want to be skinny or too under weight, if you have LIPO you will look EVEN WORSE, and lets like face it, NOBODY even on this Forum wants to go around looking like some strange-lipoed-out-crack whore, a nice healthy look is a hell of a lot better  ;D

Oh, I agree.  But like anything there's a fine line.  I could stand to lose 5-10 lbs, but no more than that.  Very easily achievable, but obviously not anything crucial if I don't feel like doing it.  My doctor is actually happy with my weight being where it is and tells me not to lose any.  My only interest is fitting in certain pants that I've had to retire to storage bags.  It's a shame to have those fab multi-hue pant splattered Westwoods from 2001 sit unused.

Offline denb45

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2010, 10:57:01 am »
Oh, I agree.  But like anything there's a fine line.  I could stand to lose 5-10 lbs, but no more than that.  Very easily achievable, but obviously not anything crucial if I don't feel like doing it.  My doctor is actually happy with my weight being where it is and tells me not to lose any.  My only interest is fitting in certain pants that I've had to retire to storage bags.  It's a shame to have those fab multi-hue pant splattered Westwoods from 2001 sit unused.

If you don't use them anymore, give them too the Goodwill, if you cannot wear them anymore, someone else can, nothing wrong with giving something to others who can't afford to buy, one persons trash, could be another persons treasurer , every few years my hubby and I get rid of things and give them to our local ASO, for someone else to use :D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 10:59:12 am by denb45 »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2010, 11:08:24 am »
If you don't use them anymore, give them too the Goodwill, if you cannot wear them anymore, someone else can, nothing wrong with giving something to others who can't afford to buy, one persons trash, could be another persons treasurer , every few years my hubby and I get rid of things and give them to our local ASO, for someone else to use :D

I'm not about to donate a pair of $500 pants to anyone, I don't care if they fit me or not.  I can squeeze in them if I have to, I'm only really one size to large.  I'm well aware of how to manage my extensive wardrobe, but thanks for your concern.

Offline denb45

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2010, 11:12:53 am »
I'm not about to donate a pair of $500 pants to anyone, I don't care if they fit me or not.  I can squeeze in them if I have to, I'm only really one size to large.  I'm well aware of how to manage my extensive wardrobe, but thanks for your concern.

WOW you paid $500 I didn't even know that a pair of pants could even cost that much, but what the fuck do I know about a wardrobe as I've never had one before , are you in show business? ;D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:14:44 am by denb45 »

Offline MarkB

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2010, 08:11:23 pm »

a quart of spaghetti and meat balls [for] breakfast ...

You say that as if it's a bad thing  ...  :D

Offline Okealyshire

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2010, 12:33:02 am »
so I found this chart, seems like she's correct, here's the chart:

This chart looks pretty fucked. I'm 5'10 and over 40; my weight is 135. The chart says I should weigh 192 -- seriously? That's a BMI of 27.5, definitely in the overweight category.

Offline aztecan

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2010, 08:50:09 am »
I was joking when I said I liked this chart. It would have me weighing as much as 197 pounds.

You might as well butter my butt and call me bisquit. I would be huge.

For the record, I fully intend to lose, not gain, weight.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2010, 09:10:01 am »
You may have noticed that the chart says HIGHEST (maximum) weight.  It's not a target weight for your height.  Anything at or over the shown weight is actually considered "overweight." 

Here is a better chart, which includes BMI and shows different weight ranges.

Offline veritas

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2010, 09:16:55 am »

GNYC09,

The chart you posted is a lot more realistic and helpful. The other chart seems to show the highest weight for insurance purposes. I'll stick with a BMI of 21.

v

Offline denb45

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2010, 10:11:11 am »
I was joking when I said I liked this chart. It would have me weighing as much as 197 pounds.

You might as well butter my butt and call me bisquit. I would be huge.

For the record, I fully intend to lose, not gain, weight.

HUGS,

Mark

I like hot buttered bisguits, I'll butter your bisquits anytime you want Mark, your place are mine  :P
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 11:10:05 am by denb45 »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2010, 12:45:42 pm »
This chart looks pretty fucked. I'm 5'10 and over 40; my weight is 135. The chart says I should weigh 192 -- seriously? That's a BMI of 27.5, definitely in the overweight category.

I agree that the linked chart is giving weights that are much, much too high.  But seriously, 135 lbs at your height is rather emaciated.  I'm 5'11" and went down to 142 once, and that was Auschwitz territory with a wasting diagnosis.

Offline denb45

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2010, 12:48:03 pm »

WTF?  that chart says I'm over weight @ 197lbs w/ a BMI index of 25.9  WTF?  I'm 6'3 TALL w/ a very large frame and size 13 to 14 shoes, I don't like this chart............I'm not over-weight for as tall as I'm ???
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 12:52:02 pm by denb45 »

Offline Okealyshire

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2010, 12:57:58 am »
I agree that the linked chart is giving weights that are much, much too high.  But seriously, 135 lbs at your height is rather emaciated.  I'm 5'11" and went down to 142 once, and that was Auschwitz territory with a wasting diagnosis.

Heh...I used to be only 120! My entire family has always leaned (har har) toward the thin side. I think the eight years I spent doing all that international travel helped put on the extra weight -- restaurant food around the world seems loaded with too many calories. I'm glad the travel is over. It was wearing me down. I feel so much more energetic these days.

Offline tommy246

• Standard
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2010, 07:34:37 am »
Diets dont work it has to be a complete lifestyle change where you eat healthy foods for ever. Once your weight is down to required weight then have treats say on a weekend . Healthy food can be tasty as well so get some recipes . Bottom line is lots of friut veg salad white lean meat, fish, fibre skimmed low fat milk ,no sugar ,brown bread , execise a little if only walking ,lots of water ,main meal at lunchtimes not in the evening and dont go hungry in between meals when this happens grab a glass of water and some fruit . These are my general guide lines but were human so i often cheat but i have been the same weight for 15 years since i was 34 years old 225 lb muscular build 6 ft 2 " and im not to keen on the gym but try to swim or walk further by often parking my car further away from my destination ie bank supermarket etc. Remember all the little things add up to the big picture . I have my treats on a weekend a meal out eating what i want and a few beers and wines maybe a cake or some chocolate.
jan 06 neg
dec 08 pos cd4 505 ,16%, 1,500vl
april 09 cd4 635 ,16%,60,000
july 09 ,cd4 545,17%,80,000
aug 09,hosptal 18days pneumonia cd190,225,000,15%
1 week later cd4 415 20%
nov 09 cd4 591 ,vl 59,000,14%,started atripla
dec 09  cd4 787, vl 266, 16%
march 2010  cd4 720 vl non detectable -20  20%
june 2010  cd4  680, 21%, ND

Offline tommy246

• Standard
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2010, 07:36:41 am »
WTF?  that chart says I'm over weight @ 197lbs w/ a BMI index of 25.9  WTF?  I'm 6'3 TALL w/ a very large frame and size 13 to 14 shoes, I don't like this chart............I'm not over-weight for as tall as I'm ???
These charts dont take into account body sizes most athletes and superfit boxers would also come out as being quite overwieght
jan 06 neg
dec 08 pos cd4 505 ,16%, 1,500vl
april 09 cd4 635 ,16%,60,000
july 09 ,cd4 545,17%,80,000
aug 09,hosptal 18days pneumonia cd190,225,000,15%
1 week later cd4 415 20%
nov 09 cd4 591 ,vl 59,000,14%,started atripla
dec 09  cd4 787, vl 266, 16%
march 2010  cd4 720 vl non detectable -20  20%
june 2010  cd4  680, 21%, ND

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2010, 11:46:39 am »
Have you tried Dr. Oz plan.  he has a book out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline denb45

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2010, 12:02:21 pm »
Have you tried Dr. Oz plan.  he has a book out.

I don't believe in the whole diet thing, however, in the past 3 yrs. I've cut our sugars, salt, sodium, Trans-fats, you can't really cut them out completely, but you can limit your intake, I feel so much better
doing this, and as a result is this, I my NOT need anymore BP meds anymore, as well as other meds that control high-triglycerides/cholesterol, I cannot say that I do, I haven't seen my Doctor yet (until MARCH 17th) but, I think I may find out a BIG difference in how high they used to be than what they may be now , just by simply limiting my intake of the above things ;D  
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:04:35 pm by denb45 »

Offline aztecan

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2010, 09:33:35 am »
Hey Dennis,

I also cut down on the sugars recently, in an effort to drop a few pounds. I already am gluten free (Celiac disease made this necessary), and I eat vegetarian meals several times a week, plus eating fish rather than red meat.

I do cheat occasionally, but I consider those my treats.

I managed to eschew the statins, at least so far, and my Celiac disease is under control.

I think the most important change I made is to join a gym. I find that if I exercise at least three times a week for just two hours, plus I reduce my calorie intake just a smidge, I can slowly reduce and still feel good.

Fad diets are useless. Yes, you can lose weight fast, but you won't keep it off because you really can't keep living those fad diets

HUGS,

Mark

Offline denb45

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2010, 10:04:41 am »

YES , exercise  helps a lot, I have a home Gym, so no need to pay someone else to use there stuff, cheaper that way......but my problem is ( as I stated before) the more I work out, the more I eat, my doctor says not to worry, as my metabolism may be somewhat different, that stops me form getting Fat, she says if you can burn-off your calories-intake, then you really have nothing to worry about  ;D and she also tells me, at 53 you are very FIT. she says my father is 55, and I wish he looked as good as you  ;D

Offline pozcanuk

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2010, 12:01:33 pm »
If I can offer a bit of advice and this is for everyone ... not just men!
1)  Increase fibre intake ... either through supplements, a spoon of ground flax in a shake, all bran cereal etc.  No matter what form, it helps immensely and is the most important when it comes to managing those all too frequent bathroom breaks.  Fibre is balancing and will help if you can NOT go or if you go TOO often. 
2)  Increase protien intake.  It takes far longer for your body to digest protien than anything else.  The longer your body takes to digest one thing ... the longer it will take to want something else.
3)  Cut out anything made with white ingredients ie white flour, white sugar, salt.  These are all highly processed and essentially have created this diabetic disaster we are now seeing.
4)  Eat small meals often though out the day.  By meals, include snacks such as almonds, cut up veggies and low fat (LOW SUGAR) dip if needed.  You should consume 5 or 6.  This will keep you metabolic rate at an high even pace.
5)  Food combining.  Your body will breakdown meat and veggies A LOT easier than meat and potatoes/rice.  If you want potatoes or rice, have it with veggies. 
6)   Exercise.  No matter how old, tired, out of shape, etc you think you are, there is no excuse not to get 15 - 30 minutes of exercise per day.  Go for a walk (yes walking is considered exercise) play catch with friend, familiy, gym, run, bike, even sex!  Every little bit counts!
7)  Balance.  No one is perfect.  Allow youself a treat for doing well.
8)  WATER ... soooooooo importan especially for people on any type of medication.  Your liver with thank you!  It also keeps you hydrated (important for those too frequent bathroom breaks)
9)  A good multi vitamin.  I truly believe that no one really gets what the need from food sources any more.  Taking one will just insure you are being topped off.  I like ones with a boosted B complex.  Helps with extra energy.
10)  Finally .. oils.  Omega 3, 6, 9 are so important for everything in your body.  Hair, skin, areteries, brain .. you name it, these oils help.  Take a simple supplement if need be or eat raw olive oil, fish oil (little hard to stomache for me).  They really do wonders!

Hope all this helped.  It took a loooooong time for me to learn all this .. so hopefully I can help a few people with it.  And remember, its not all or nothing, any little bit helps and one will lead to the next and then to the next.  This is all pretty basic.  If anyone needs more dtailed info .. just message me, I would be glad to help.  OH .. and btw, it is better to say you are changing your lifestyle as opposed to saying going on a diet.  A diet assumes there is an end, changing your lifestyle is forever.  Train your brain to realze this is for ever!

Offline Fondoo

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2010, 09:28:02 pm »
years back I came across a trippy article. They talked about weight loss and theorized that walking in terrain compared to walking on a track or swimming in current compared to swimming in a pool actually burned way more fat then calorie expenditure could account for.
  These guys suggested that the current or terrain presses physiological buttons telling your body that you are hunting and gathering in rough terrain and your body responds by dropping weight dramatically to be a more safe and effective unit.
   It was an interesting article I did not think to much about until I moved to Hawaii and did allot of walking and swimming exploring my new environment and bam I lost 65 pounds and gained muscle without dieting. I still ate what I wanted and didn't do supper amounts of hiking/swimming but the terrain was rough and the weight fell off.
    I also had started avoiding heavily processed and chemical additives as much as I could. I think it helps with craving a lot
    Good luck mate
              Tracy

Offline Nestor

• What we love, we shall grow to resemble.
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2010, 01:47:51 pm »

Pozcanuk,

Thanks for that list--it's fantastic!  I really, really agree with number 3; I've almost banished refined foods from my daily life, although on special occasions a croissant or a dish of spaghetti is not something I'll say no to! 

Two things that do not work for me, although I know they do work for others, are 4 and 5.  Every time I've lost weight, it's been by eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and nothing else.  That's probably because when I snack, I don't control portions.  I like becoming hungry again before the next meal; it reminds me that every slight hunger pang is not a good reason to eat something.  I think the key is for each of us to figure out how our own bodies work; we're all different. 

As for food combining, it would pretty much cancel out almost every traditional cuisine in the world, which all seem to love some combination of carbs and protein.  I know I would find it depressing. 

Omega-3 oils and GLA: About half a year ago I started having rather bad dermatitis, and I started taking cod liver and evening primrose and flax oils; the dermatitis really did improve.

Fondoo--this is really interesting.  I think the closer our lives are to nature, the stronger we'll be; what you say about walking on natural terrain supports that.  I think you're also on to something about how chemical additives, in addition to all the other bad stuff they do, increase cravings.  When I eat natural food I enjoy it but I never want more and more and more the way I used to with junk food!
Summer 2004--became HIV+
Dec. 2005--found out

Date          CD4    %       VL
Jan. '06    725    25      9,097
Nov. '06    671    34     52,202
Apr. '07    553    30      24,270
Sept. '07  685    27       4,849
Jan. '08    825    29       4,749
Mar. '08    751    30     16,026
Aug. '08    653    30       3,108
Oct. '08     819    28     10,046
Jan '09      547    31     13,000
May '09     645   25        6,478
Aug. '09    688   30      19,571
Nov. '09     641    27       9,598
Feb. '10     638    27       4,480
May '10      687      9    799,000 (CMV)
July '10      600     21      31,000
Nov '10      682     24     15,000
June '11     563    23     210,000 (blasto)
July  '11      530    22      39,000
Aug '11      677     22      21,000
Sept. '12    747     15      14,000

Offline jcelvis

« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2010, 01:07:26 am »
You need to find what works best for you, and doesn't make you feel guilty. Rule, number one is if you're happy than it's easy to get to and maintain the weight level you want. Every diet plan wants to offer something different, and it's not that any are wrong or that any are right. Certain things have a higher success rate of helping you loose weight, but if you find it difficult to stick with though particular rules/plan you aren't going to see any results.

I looked over various diet plans and created my own, to find what suited me, my personality, and my lifestyle.

Just so you know however, study after study show, that key to begin controlling your weight is getting enough SLEEP and eating BREAKFAST.
Change the way you view the world, and the world around you changes.

Offline kevykev110

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2010, 03:36:35 pm »
Does anyone have any tips on losing weight?  What diet plan worked for you etc?  My parents are both thin but for some reason my siblings and I are cursed with a few extra pounds.  Let's see,  I get HIV, I gain  weight, get kidney cancer I gain weight despite golf ball sized tumor removed, then diverticulitis, lose then gain weight plus some!  I am in school full time along with a clinical rotation and work so little time available.  I know different diets work for different people but I would love to hear of anyones success stories.  I am 5'10" and 218 and for my build a good weight is 185-190.  I am 43 and want to take care of this now!  Thanks..Joe

I just joined this forum so idk if im responding too late... but i am  5' 5 130 and i use to be 160 with a size 34-36 waist. Now im  29-30. U dont need a jenny-craig diet or spending money on expensive supplements. Take charge of your eating habbits.

Here are some tips:

No late nite eating. this is huge. Try not to eat after 8pm.
Instead of eatling one large lunch during the day, better you break it up into 3. it increases ur metabolic rate.
Exercise--Mostly cardio. Runing, or if u play basketball or any sport that would be good. increase ur phyisical activities.
Drink alot of water
Avoid mcdonals/bk/wendys/ and highly fat fast food
avoid soda
Try to do anything that increases ur metabolism and you willl loose weight.  the first two advice is the most important.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.