Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 02:34:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772996
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 173
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 164
Total: 164

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Needle Exchange Funding!  (Read 3282 times)

Offline AndyArrow

Needle Exchange Funding!
« on: December 18, 2009, 11:43:31 pm »
From the Aids Foundation of Chicago --

Twas two weeks before Christmas, in the Senate and House, and a victory was afoot,
chagrining many a louse. While many will wish for dolls, balls, and trucks,
all we desire is syringe exchange bucks.

How about this for a Christmas story – Congress voted and President Obama agreed to save hundreds of thousands of lives. A tremendous victory for the HIV/AIDS community occurred this week when Congress passed and the President signed the Appropriations “minibus” Bill that lifts the 21-year old ban on federal funds for syringe exchange programs (SEPs). Local jurisdictions will now have the freedom to use federal funds to support these lifesaving programs. Thankfully, the bill did not include the onerous 1,000 foot rule, which would have barred federal monies for SEPs operating within 1,000 feet from several locations such as parks and schools. Currently, 12% of all new HIV infections in the United States are the result of injection drug use. 

Among the good tidings included in the Appropriations Bill the President signed yesterday were funding increases for HIV prevention and research, the Ryan White CARE Program, and the Housing Opportunities for People Living with AIDS.  Additionally, Congress voted to eliminate the abstinence-only funding and instead fund teen pregnancy prevention programs. 

While there is much to be thankful for this holiday season, AFC continues its tireless work to ensure that the HIV/AIDS community does not end up with a lump of coal. In that spirit, AFC, along with 34 other AIDS organizations, sent a letter to President Obama with recommendations for core points essential to creating a National AIDS Strategy that will advance our nation’s HIV prevention response and lead to lower HIV incidence rates.

http://www.aidsconnect.net/content/blog/congress-ends-twenty-year-federal-funding-ban-syringe-exchange
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Needle Exchange Funding!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 05:52:31 am »
Syringe exchange was mandated by law in New Mexico in 1997.

I consider the program a great success. I could be biased though, because I operate one of the exchange sites.

But I think it has saved many lives, and even helps to protect the cops as well.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 11:44:12 am »
Fantastic news - better late than never, I suppose. It's also great news on the hep C front. Hep C is much more likely than hiv to be passed on through needle sharing. Hep C can be a pretty devastating illness too, but it gets talked about even less than hiv. Thanks for sharing this, Andy!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 12:12:56 pm »
Woww   great news , so many naysayers in congress these days with all sorts of "moral" judgements and not backed up by real stats... I supported my congressman to vote for this... glad so many others seem to have done the same...  thanks for posting    .

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 07:37:46 am »
That's great news.  I hope they get one started up around here, but it's doubtful.  A lot of people think that needle use has been totally replaced by smoking crack and meth.  But, it's still a huge problem.  A few years back, the police found a shit load of needles at a local park.  But still people are in denial that it's a problem here, as I'm sure happens in many places.  Great news, though, Andy.  Thanks for posting.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 01:20:11 am »
... But still people are in denial that it's a problem here, as I'm sure happens in many places.  Great news, though, Andy.  Thanks for posting.

Ain't it the truth!

Even in an area with a small population, such as where I live, we see a lot of syringe use. I take in about 4,000 used syringes a month in my little office.

In larger cities, like Albuquerque, the numbers are quite large.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.