Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:07:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 214
Total: 215

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: CA DMV rejecting HIV license plate  (Read 35460 times)

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
CA DMV rejecting HIV license plate
« on: September 06, 2008, 04:17:36 pm »
OK, so I'm not really sure where this topic belongs. But I don't think it's really "off-topic".

Back in June I placed an order online for an environmental license plate from the California DMV. I tried several plates with the letters "HIV" until I found one that was accepted by the DMV web site and available. They took my money.

Today I received a letter from the DMV stating they denied my request and are refunding me the money. The reason is :

1. Per California Vehicle Code, Section 5105, the department may refuse any combination of letters and numbers that may be considered offensive, which could be misleading, or in conflict with any existing license plate series issued.

I know it doesn't conflict because the site checked it. And I don't think it's any way offensive or misleading (how could a license plate mislead ?).

There doesn't seem to be any possibility of appeal. Do I have to sue them ? And who would be best to contact ? ACLU ?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: CA DMV rejecting HIV license plate
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 04:48:53 pm »
Was this rejection an impersonal computer's decision or did a person tell you that you cant advertise your status on your bumper ?   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 04:58:02 pm »
Administrative rights or wrongs aside, why would you want to? I am intrigued to know - matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 05:08:48 pm »
Maybe you are being to ambitious with this huge of a disease , start with someting smaller like a plate that says " ButtWARTS4U " 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 05:16:49 pm »
Was this rejection an impersonal computer's decision or did a person tell you that you cant advertise your status on your bumper ?   

No, it's personal, and there is the name of a real person at the bottom of the letter.  The rest of the letter clearly implies that this was a human review.

Another quote from it :

"I am sure you can appreciate how difficult it is to balance an individual's constitutional right to free speech and expression, while protecting the sensibilities of all segments of our population. Please understand that this is a very difficult area to regulate and that not everyone feels the same way on any given subject."

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 05:22:32 pm »
Administrative rights or wrongs aside, why would you want to? I am intrigued to know - matt

I just want to make a statement that it's OK to have HIV and that I will not hide it. I think it's kind of a cool way to make that statement. Oh, and I'm helping the environment at the same time too ;)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 05:24:13 pm »
Sounds to me the someone at the DMV made a judgement call  .
If you really want the plate why not just apply again , chances are the person that rejected it the first time around wont be involved this time .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 05:25:16 pm »
Maybe you are being to ambitious with this huge of a disease , start with someting smaller like a plate that says " ButtWARTS4U " 

LOL

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 02:04:50 am »
What about the person who wants HIVLIES or HIVCURE or somesuch? I rather see the point in the rejection, actually. Open the door, the crazies walk in.

Won't a red ribbon on your car or a bumper sticker be sufficient?

At the very least, it will give you some memorable, if lengthy, moments in rural areas with the local populations and police.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline komnaes

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 03:44:09 am »
I remember I wore the "Nobody Knows I am Gay" t-shirt back to school when I was 17..

I am surely not ready to do it now but I figure you can make your own tee that says something along that line.
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline David_CA

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 10:37:59 am »
"Protecting the sensibilities" of a population is so important!   :D  I wonder if you asked for one that said 'HERPES' or 'CANCER' would be acceptable and that if mentioning that it was for AIDS awareness would make any difference.  Personally, I see nothing wrong with what you chose (although I don't have a plate like that on any of my cars).  Perhaps something a bit more discrete would work...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 10:42:36 am »
I'm a firm believer in non-personal license plates and in leaving the ringer setting on "default."
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Robert

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 11:13:54 am »
why don't you go to the local newspapers?  That usually stirs things up.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 12:08:47 pm »
Back in June I placed an order online for an environmental license plate from the California DMV. I tried several plates with the letters "HIV" until I found one that was accepted by the DMV web site and available. They took my money.

Today I received a letter from the DMV stating they denied my request and are refunding me the money.   

Maybe they fear for your safety - like they don't want you to become a magnet for gay bashers or something

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 12:23:12 pm »
OK, so I'm not really sure where this topic belongs. But I don't think it's really "off-topic".

Today I received a letter from the DMV stating they denied my request and are refunding me the money. The reason is :

1. Per California Vehicle Code, Section 5105, the department may refuse any combination of letters and numbers that may be considered offensive, which could be misleading, or in conflict with any existing license plate series issued.

I know it doesn't conflict because the site checked it. And I don't think it's any way offensive or misleading (how could a license plate mislead ?).

There doesn't seem to be any possibility of appeal. Do I have to sue them ? And who would be best to contact ? ACLU ?

You could contact the ACLU, if you wanted to stir things up a bit, but, if you live in the BIBLE BELT like I do, I wouldn't DARE put anything like that ANYWHERE on my Truck, not even a Rainbow Sticker,unless I wanted to pick a FIGHT every time I went somewhere in my Truck, but since you happen to live in LIBERAL California, BTW (I use to live in SACRAMENTO 6 or 7 yrs ago)  I don't see a real problem with it, I also find it odd, that it was denied, but at least the DMV is offering a "Refund"  but you do understand, that if you accept that "refund" then you will have no-recourse to complain, just something to consider?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 07:59:29 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 06:48:19 pm »
Hi,

You could contact the ACLU, if you wanted to stir things up a bit, but, if you live in the BIBLE BELT like I do, I wouldn't DARE put anything like that ANYWHERE on my Truck, not even a Rainbow Sticker,unless I wanted to pick a FIGHT every time I went somewhere in my Truck, but since you happen to live in LIBERAL California, BTW (I use to live in SACRAMENTO 6 or 7 yrs ago)  I don't see a real problem with it, I also find it odd, that it was denied, but at least the DMV is offering a "Refund"  but you do understand, that if you accept that "refund" then you will have no-recourse to complain, just something to consider?

I am puzzled by the denial given where I live also.

The DMV is not giving me a choice of taking the refund or not. The letter also states that the fee will go back to my credit card within sixty days.

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 06:50:52 pm »
I remember I wore the "Nobody Knows I am Gay" t-shirt back to school when I was 17..

I am surely not ready to do it now but I figure you can make your own tee that says something along that line.

Yes you could. I don't like to wear the same t-shirt every day, though. I do drive the same car every day though.

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 07:00:26 pm »
Hi,

What about the person who wants HIVLIES or HIVCURE or somesuch? I rather see the point in the rejection, actually. Open the door, the crazies walk in.

As far as those plates, I'm not sure about the first one you listed (it doesn't make sense, but I don't think it's offensive), but I certainly wouldn't see anything wrong with the second one.

Won't a red ribbon on your car or a bumper sticker be sufficient?

At the very least, it will give you some memorable, if lengthy, moments in rural areas with the local populations and police.

Different ribbons get used for so many things. Not everybody knows what a red ribbon means. So no, I don't really think it would get the message accross.
I have never really been a fan of bumper stickers for some reason.
And neither of them accomplishes the goal of helping the environment.

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 07:01:18 pm »
why don't you go to the local newspapers?  That usually stirs things up.

I'm thinking about it. But first I'm trying to find out which of the 3 reasons listed in the letter the DMV denied me for, since they didn't specify. I have been on hold with the DMV for a while and so far no luck.

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 07:09:17 pm »
Maybe they fear for your safety - like they don't want you to become a magnet for gay bashers or something

Well, a plate with the word HIV in it doesn't necessarily mean I am gay. The plate I chose did not actually imply that.

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 07:12:38 pm »
Sounds to me the someone at the DMV made a judgement call  .
If you really want the plate why not just apply again , chances are the person that rejected it the first time around wont be involved this time .

Well, the letter has a 3-digit case ID associated with the plate name so I bet it would come back to them. I didn't try to reapply yet, not until I figure out their exact reasons.

Offline denb45

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 08:02:55 pm »
Well, the letter has a 3-digit case ID associated with the plate name so I bet it would come back to them. I didn't try to reapply yet, not until I figure out their exact reasons.

I doubt the DMV will ever tell you why? I'd be very supprized if they did, cuz you could sue them, so, I sure don't think the DMV is that dumb  ??? but then again, it's a State Govt. Agency, so, maybe they are?  ::) that would be better for you (if they were) only if you really wanted to push-the-issue.............
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 08:07:28 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 08:14:11 pm »
I doubt the DMV will ever tell you why? I'd be very supprized if they did, cuz you could sue them, so, I sure don't think the DMV is that dumb  ??? but then again, it's a State Govt. Agency, so, maybe they are?  ::) that would be better for you (if they were) only if you really wanted to push-the-issue.............

Well, they listed 3 reasons in the letter (offensive, misleading, conflicting), all I want them to tell me is exactly which one of the 3 it is that I was denied for. If it's one the first two, I'm not asking for the whole reasoning about why it might be offensive or misleading, I don't expect them to tell me that. But it would determine what my next course of action is - try to sue them about this plate, or apply for another one.

I was on hold with the DMV for about 1/2 hour and just hung up on without ever being able to talk to anyone . Business as usual for the DMV .

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 08:56:30 pm »

I just checked on the DMV web site and the plate I chose is now listed as "unavailable". So clearly they have reserved it permanently after denying me and it's not possible for me to apply again for the same plate. Other plate combinations with HIV still appear to be available.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 09:10:18 pm »
Well, a plate with the word HIV in it doesn't necessarily mean I am gay. 

yeah well, we certainly know that 'round here. ..but you know how the general public loves to assume.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 08:51:32 am »
Here's a thought, instead of tilting at windmills over a vanity plate and the DMV. Why not slap a Honk If You Have HIV   bumper sticker on your car and donate the time, energy and money you're wasting to a worthy HIV related cause?

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 02:22:16 pm »
While I admire your willingness to be so open about your status, I wonder if there might not be a better way.  I think one needs to choose their battles wisely and is a stink over a license worth it. Just a thought could you have a special license plate holder made to accomplish the same thing?
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 03:25:49 pm »
Here's a thought, instead of tilting at windmills over a vanity plate and the DMV. Why not slap a Honk If You Have HIV   bumper sticker on your car and donate the time, energy and money you're wasting to a worthy HIV related cause?

As I said, I don't like bumper stickers. And I wouldn't want anyone to honk at me for any non-traffic releated reason.

I have already given thousands of dollars to HIV related causes. I don't think it's exclusive of having the license plate I want.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 03:48:35 pm »
And I wouldn't want anyone to honk at me for any non-traffic releated reason.

Huh?  Are we to believe that they wouldn't "honk" with this license plate?  I don't get that one.

Offline denb45

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2008, 05:21:37 pm »
Huh?  Are we to believe that they wouldn't "honk" with this license plate?  I don't get that one.

Oh they would honk (where I live) they would also follow you, and BASH you to  ??? depends on where you live, is what they might do to you........

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2008, 05:27:59 pm »
Have you posted the actual plate number you asked for?  If so I missed it.

Perhaps there is an alternate reading that you hasn't occurred to you that someone else would spot if you posted it?
Hi,

As far as those plates, I'm not sure about the first one you listed (it doesn't make sense, but I don't think it's offensive), but I certainly wouldn't see anything wrong with the second one.

5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2008, 07:01:23 pm »
Have you posted the actual plate number you asked for?  If so I missed it.

Perhaps there is an alternate reading that you hasn't occurred to you that someone else would spot if you posted it?

No, I did not post the full plate here. I have contacted the local newspaper though, and they told me they are interested in doing a story.

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2008, 07:03:33 pm »

I wouldn't expect it, but I will report on it when I finally get my plate.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2008, 07:12:52 pm »
I wouldn't expect it, but I will report on it when I finally get my plate.

Let me get this straight.  An HIV bumper sticker would elicit "honks" but an HIV license plate would not?  That's what you're trying to express in this thread, correct?

Offline denb45

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2008, 07:16:13 pm »
Let me get this straight.  An HIV bumper sticker would elicit "honks" but an HIV license plate would not?  That's what you're trying to express in this thread, correct?

ROFLOL  ;D

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2008, 09:52:35 pm »
m.b.

I think you totally missed the point JK is trying to make.  I agree with him 100%.

The examples he tried to give you were what someone who might be a HIV denialist might ask for on a tag.....so you can see how it could be dangerous.

I'm all for people who can be totally out with their status, but I must admit, I have NO IDEA why you would want it on a license plate.  (but I'm with Philly here, I like just the numbers and think 'vanity' plates are absurb; most of them are nonsense to most people anyway)
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2008, 10:02:47 pm »

A bumper sticker that says "honk at me if you have HIV", as suggested, yeah, I would expect it might generate honks.

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2008, 10:07:19 pm »
Well, I just got a phone call from the San Jose Mercury News. They will run a story about my plate, I'm not sure which day this week.

Good news - the paper was able to sort things with the DMV. The writer told me on the phone that it was an error from an inexperienced DMV clerk. The DMV letter is going to be rescinded, and I will be getting my plate after all.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2008, 10:09:52 pm »
Congrats madbrain , HIV high fives all around .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2008, 10:39:56 pm »
Well congratulations I guess.....

Please tell me you didn't get "HIV ROCKS"......cause it doesn't.
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2008, 11:23:36 pm »
A bumper sticker that says "honk at me if you have HIV", as suggested, yeah, I would expect it might generate honks.

Hard to have a discussion if you insist on being willfully obtuse.

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2008, 06:08:13 am »
Well congratulations I guess.....

Please tell me you didn't get "HIV ROCKS"......cause it doesn't.

No, I did not, I got something more positive than that.

The article is up, at http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_10422911?nclick_check=1

Offline Basquo

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2008, 08:04:28 am »
Good for you for not backing down, and thanks for sharing your experience.

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2008, 09:09:22 am »
Cool story.  I couldn't get the link to work at first, and think this one might work better:

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_10422911

Bravo on this stigma-busting effort.  I've told the POZ.com folks about this, so they might just post their own story about it.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2008, 09:24:29 am »
Good story! I hope you hit the national and international newswires. May I offer a headline to Poz.com (in keeping with their usual light, word play style)?

Licensed to Thrive

Offline David_CA

« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2008, 09:54:47 am »
Good news - the paper was able to sort things with the DMV. The writer told me on the phone that it was an error from an inexperienced DMV clerk. The DMV letter is going to be rescinded, and I will be getting my plate after all.

That part I don't believe.  Always blame it on the 'new guy'.  Congrats on getting it, though.  (make sure you have good insurance coverage on your car, though!  ;)  )
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2008, 04:46:39 pm »
Thanks Peter !

I just did a TV interview for CBS5 also . It will be on the 6pm news in the bay area.

Cool story.  I couldn't get the link to work at first, and think this one might work better:

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_10422911

Bravo on this stigma-busting effort.  I've told the POZ.com folks about this, so they might just post their own story about it.

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2008, 04:47:35 pm »
That part I don't believe.  Always blame it on the 'new guy'.  Congrats on getting it, though.  (make sure you have good insurance coverage on your car, though!  ;)  )

Yeah, I don't know if I believe it either, but I'm happy to be getting my plate.
And I do have full coverage, and an umbrella policy on top of it even.

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2008, 09:09:43 pm »
Just saw the headline on the homepage here.  Congrats on getting your plates and not giving up.  :)
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2008, 09:13:09 pm »
Just saw the headline on the homepage here.  Congrats on getting your plates and not giving up.  :)

Thanks !

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.