Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:04:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 444
Total: 446

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bad step  (Read 4624 times)

Offline lucas clay

Bad step
« on: November 28, 2007, 07:06:02 pm »
Last night i tripped on a towel in the bathroom, did the stupid dance and stopped when my foot went under the door and smashed my little toe and the one next to it on the door jam. then the silent scream when you tense up and are unable to make a sound, mouth hanging open.

Got out of bed and it hurt like the dickens, the shoe was going to make it hurt worse. sometimes its only for a bit till you get use to it. so I'm drinking coffee at 3:30 a.m. reading email in my tee shirt bloomers socks and workshoes. left for work 2 hours later ( yes i put my pants on before i left home) and it hurt just as bad. but no bruise and i could wiggle it OK. worse come to worse i could beg a vacation day and go home. i was armed with a good supply of 800 Motrin so off we go.
what a day foot hurt all day but i made it. ( i was proud of myself) went to take a shower and looked at the toes and man, there are some pretty reds and blues and even a little bit of purple. all the way around the little toe. both sides top and bottom.

sho nuff hope it feels better tomorrow, i am on my feet walking between two machines for 10 hours a day. glad to be home and get that damn shoe off.

Lucas

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
Re: Bad step
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 07:28:37 pm »
OOOOOOOOoooooooohhhhhhhhh Whoopsie!
The bad news is that you probably broke your toes. The other bad news, is that there is not a thing in the world you can do for it.
So......here's wishing you ice pack dreams, and Motrin/Naprosyn lullabies......
Lisa...(who would kiss your booboo, but doesn't do toes.) ::)   ;D
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 07:38:53 pm »
Hey, !

Man, I hate stubbing my toes, seems I've been doing it a more often lately, so I am just trying to be a little more careful these days, watch my step a little more and slow down a little. I am just a little more cautious about my movements these days.  About a month ago, I really stubbed the small toe, on the right foot pretty hard. Felt as though I rammed it right into the heal   :o !! Not only did it feel as though I may have fractured something, but it was also bleeding around the nail. So I knew it was a hard hit !!

Anyway, it gave me some misery for about a day and a half. Kept putting some ice around it the best I could which seemed to help and do the trick. Also avoided excessive movement.

A couple weeks ago I slipped down the last two steps, while coming downstairs. I was wearing a heavy pair of boots, which I think may have saved my ankle from being broken, or sprained !! More Ice !!

Fortunately nothing was broken or fractured !

Sounds like you bruised it pretty good. Mine also bruised slightly. Since your job requires you to be on your feet, you may want to get that checked if it doesn't get better.

Take care------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 08:29:07 pm »
OUCH!

I'm with Lisa...Motrin and Naprosyn can be your best friends in these situations (i'm particularly fond of Vicodin, but sadly,  it's hard to obtain).

Unfortunately it doesn't sound like you can even stay off and elevate the foot with your job, B.

Fortunately there's a beautiful little lady that will no doubt smother you with so much affection that you'll forget there was ever anything wrong.  ;)

Take care buddy,
John

Offline BirdBear718

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 08:30:16 pm »
Daaaaaaaaamn.  Your story made me cringe.
Ouch!

I hope your toe feels better soon!

Offline Basquo

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 10:12:19 pm »
Man, I am reading my future here--on my mom's matriarchal line there's one in every generation who stubs their toes to the point of breaking them at least once every five years.  My grandmother is to the point of breaking footbones recently, Mom is due for a broken toe any day now and since my sister's hit her mid-40's but not her toes...I'm afeared I'm doomed!

What everyone said--ice if you can stand it, Motrin or Aleve or similar at work, something stronger when you home.

Best,
Creighton (who knows about the silent scream already, usually comes from the elbow at this stage)

Offline lucas clay

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 04:10:39 am »
Well the little toe looks a bit less colorfull. this morning.
On the flip side its puffed up a bit more, and hurts worse than it did yesterday.
No way i can do 10 hours of work on it today, maybe a day of rest will do it some good. i was sure it would feel better today ???

Lucas

Offline mjmel

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 04:27:44 am »
you're not going to the doc about this, i bet. you're gonna hope you didn't break it and hope it heals on it's own--but i think you should have it looked at because if it's broken and it heals wrong then the pain & discomfort will endure or reoccur. don't you union guys have workmans comp up there? maybe i'm assuming too much.
get it examined, Lucas.
noteworthy: in that moment you had the lock-jaw silent scream....you had an AQUALUNG!
 :D
Mike M
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 04:29:38 am by mjmel »

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 08:19:28 am »
Dh pulled the same trick a few years ago.  We had the crazy idea of bathing our 90lb chow / lab mix in our bathtub.  Long story short: Huge wet furry dog jumps out of tub and runs for our bed.  Dh grabs her tail and is pulled acrossed the linoleum floor.  Piggy toe hits door jamb and does an immediate 90 degree turn.  Dh is squalling on the floor in the doorway and I stand helplessly in the bathroom as said big wet furry dog wallers all over my nice clean bed.  Dh didn't go to the doc either.  Back then we were poor college students.  So, I did the loving thing by straightening it back to a normal angle and taping it to the piggy next to it.  It turned his whole foot purple on that side.  He was working at Sam's club and was walking on concrete floors all night.  But, lessoned learned - we found a local place to bathe Shelby for us.

www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline lucas clay

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 10:07:47 pm »
Just a bit of a update.
 The colors are gone from the little toe.
It felt just a little better each day for a couple of days,then last night it started to hurt just a bit more.
Hurt today at work, but now the damn thing is throbbing.
 Don't want to go to the doctors as there is not much they could do, even if it were broke. No funny bends in it , or any strange angles so i don't think it is broken. Cant drive a stick shift with one of those walking casts on.
As with the Dentist, pain will drive you to see the Doctor even when you dont want to

( don't feel like dancing)
                                                                                                Lucas

Offline bear60

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 09:52:39 am »
Lucas
My partner Kurt has broken toes like this several times... in the past few years.  (I think the number of times he has broken bones is related to loss of bone density or osteoporosis). None the less......he never had a cast or anything.  What was done was the toes were taped with surgical tape into place so they could not move around...( and re break the healing bones).  You may be having more pain because you have not immobilized the toes in question. ........and they are not going to heal that way.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 10:08:12 am »
Hey, quit kicking the dog. Like Bear said tape both toes together you need to immobilized them.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 08:24:58 am »
I have broken every single one of my toes a few times, Lucas.  I never immobilized them like I should have, I would suggest doing that if it's still bothering you.  I hope it heals well and is feeling better.  Broken toes (or even sprains) are such a painful bitch.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 08:36:50 am »

Who would have ever thought. "Fred and Betty?" I was sure it would be, "Fred and Barney." :D

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 10:35:32 am »

Who would have ever thought. "Fred and Betty?" I was sure it would be, "Fred and Barney." :D

Well, Rod, you know what a slut that Betty was! :D
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 10:56:33 am »
Well, Rod, you know what a slut that Betty was! :D

I heard BamBam was serving 10-20 for getting his rocks off in public. ;)

Offline lucas clay

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 06:55:51 pm »

Rod i cant see the picture.
knowing you i don't know if i want to, oh well you only live once. please send the picture.

( lord help me)
                                                                                   Lucas

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 06:59:21 pm »
It was linked to Betty's post so I don't have a picture. Sorry.

Offline mjmel

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 07:11:23 pm »
Just a bit of a update.
 The colors are gone from the little toe.
It felt just a little better each day for a couple of days,then last night it started to hurt just a bit more.
Hurt today at work, but now the damn thing is throbbing.
 Don't want to go to the doctors as there is not much they could do, even if it were broke. No funny bends in it , or any strange angles so i don't think it is broken. Cant drive a stick shift with one of those walking casts on.
As with the Dentist, pain will drive you to see the Doctor even when you dont want to

( don't feel like dancing)
                                                                                                Lucas

RE: Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 04:27:44 am
 ::)
Mike M

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.