Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:04:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773290
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 697
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 395
Total: 396

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I Want a Medication With The least Side Effects.  (Read 6463 times)

Offline greenapple23

I Want a Medication With The least Side Effects.
« on: September 21, 2014, 04:06:44 pm »
Hi Everyone!!!! Newbie here.

I was Diagnosed HIV Positive 8/29/2014. i will  be starting meds soon, as soon as i get my genotype and my health insurance covered. i Just want to know which meds have less side effects. i am particularly concerned about lipoatrophy and complications with organs. I'm a young attractive 23 year old guy. i dont want to have a gaunt face or damaged organs from the drugs. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

**Side note**
I already know AZT or any drug containing AZT is out of the picture for me. I have heard lots of horrific stories of longterm survivors of HIV who are disfigured and damaged internally because of AZT.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: I Want a Medication With The least Side Effects.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 05:18:46 pm »
I have heard lots of horrific stories of longterm survivors of HIV who are disfigured and damaged internally because of AZT.
hmmm, you're starting treatment in 2014? There really is no sense in you comparing the results that people experienced taking meds that were first thrown at HIV to the experiences someone would have now with the highly refined meds in the present, nearly 2.5 decades later. No doctor is even going to start you off on AZT when there's atripla, stribild, complera, etc. So you needn't be worried about AZT.

i Just want to know which meds have less side effects.
there really is no perfect answer, sorry. According to the studies, 80-90% of patients experience few short-term side effects and even fewer long-term effects. And anyway it's all based on you, the mutations in your HIV (and you're getting the genotype for that), and your genetics. Best bet? Let your doctor, looking at your lab work, suggest what s/he thinks is a good option for you. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline greenapple23

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 05:41:08 pm »
there really is no perfect answer, sorry. According to the studies, 80-90% of patients experience few short-term side effects and even fewer long-term effects. And anyway it's all based on you, the mutations in your HIV (and you're getting the genotype for that), and your genetics. Best bet? Let your doctor, looking at your lab work, suggest what s/he thinks is a good option for you. ;)

ok cool. If she starts me on a particular med and i start getting serious side effects, i can just ask her to switch?

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 05:46:17 pm »
What country are you in -- determines what drugs are available to you.

Welcome to the forum.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline greenapple23

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 05:47:31 pm »
What country are you in -- determines what drugs are available to you.

I'm in the United States ....NYC

Offline mecch

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 05:54:38 pm »
ok cool. If she starts me on a particular med and i start getting serious side effects, i can just ask her to switch?

when someone starts a med, there is a few week adjustment period when one watches for serious "reactions". These are probably not what you are referring to - when you say "side effects".  The only "side effect" i have heard of happening in a serious and quick way in the last few years is people discovering efavirenz has a psychological side effect within a few months of starting. This is why someone with any depression or anxiety should not take that in a combo (e.g. atripla). 

If you are worried about "organs" and body changes, lipos, it would not happen suddenly and quickly... Very very rarely.  If you have access to the newest generations of drugs you are not going to worry about many side effects.  But yeah of course if something presents itself you might eventually be offered a change of medicine.

Most doctors do not change combos instantly at the first side of a "side effect" - depending on what it is.  For example if a combo might be causing sleeplessness or diarrhoea there might be an attempt to lesson and/or treat the "side effect" and thus a trial period, before a treatment change is recommended.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 05:56:40 pm »
yep! but I would suggest giving it the good ol' college try. Stick to whatever it is for at least 4 wks. Remember your body will be adjusting to the meds and the HIV will be dying off - and your body will have to adjust to that too. Of course, if you're one of the unlucky 2% and get the rash or some serious immediate side effect you might need to change sooner. It's just like taking aspirin or some sort of antibiotic - each person has a different body and "might" have a different reaction. So "your mileage may vary". ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline mecch

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 05:57:02 pm »

So usually you will have access to the newest molecules and these fears of "side effects" should be kept within reason as it's not so likely.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 06:09:04 pm »
be thankful you're not in SC. LOL ;)

it'll be easy to get support and access to health care in a city with such a large HIV+ population.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Dan0

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 07:58:34 pm »

You've never been on meds before, so I'll wade carefully in here. SERIOUS side effects and side effects are very different. Some people have no side effects, zero, zilch, nada! Some have serious side effects where they switch their regimen. Then there are those pesky 'annoyances' that somehow take on some ominous tone and have people freaking out.

You might get gas - it will probably go away
You may have vivid dreams - some people don't mind them and some just go away
You may be groggy - when your body adjusts you won't be
You may get ...scientifically speaking....the shits. It will probably get better

Keep everything relative and keep a cool head about this. You're going to have to take pills and, yes, you may have some annoyances and short-term effects. Roll with them and wait them out....and meanwhile discuss with your doctor which serious side effects would be considered something out of the normal. You may be surprised that it's just a pill and you very well may not experience anything.
"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
10/2013 Stribild Still UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline gotoverit

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 04:57:34 am »
Hey young attractive green apple :)
I was diagnosed in 4/2014 in my 40s.
Im trying to get the courage to tell my crazy story. (married w/kids yikes)
Started tivicay and epzicom in may. Its now combined into triumec.
My VL went from 6000 to 20 in 2 weeks . VL is 0 as of 9/22/14
Cd4 went from 756 to 1022 in 2 weeks. CD4 is 1066 as of 9/22/14
ZERO side effects. felt much better right away after starting meds.  Liver, kidneys  and all my blood tests are great. My attitude went from fear and wtf have I done to totally positive and determined to not let this dumb chronic illness affect my life!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 05:00:48 am by gotoverit »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.