Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:56:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 242
Total: 243

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ATRIPLA (DEPRESSION/LONELY/UNHAPPY)  (Read 12517 times)

Offline Blackandbeautiful11

ATRIPLA (DEPRESSION/LONELY/UNHAPPY)
« on: September 12, 2011, 12:43:19 am »
 My name is Tia and I been hiv+ for almost 5 years and I been on meds for two months. I've been talking atripla and I hate the way it makes me feel. I'm a single mother of two girls and I'm grateful for them. My love life sucks and It's hard to find someone who's in the same situation. I work fulltime and I'm in college as well. I lost my car gave so we have to ride the bus which sucks. It's hard to be around my daughters because, I don't want to show my unhappiness and depression around them. I have to wait to my girls go to sleep at night so I can cry and question myself why. I've been depress, sad, fatigue and very unhappy. I lay around the house on weekends and I have no more social life. I've went to church and I pray but alot but, at the end of the day I'm sad and depress all over again. I ask of you all to pray for me and my daughters. Every since I've been taking atripla it cause me to have negative thoughts, sadness, being lonely and down. I'm crying as I type this and I feel so all alone. This atripla took alot from me and sometimes I find myself crying at work. I just want to stay strong for the sake of my daughters. (MY REQUEST IS TO PLEASE KEEP ME AND MY TWO DAUGHTERS IN YOUR PRAYERS PLEASE) Thank You Tia!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 12:54:11 am by Blackandbeautiful11 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: ATRIPLA (DEPRESSION/LONELY/UNHAPPY)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 08:20:21 am »
Tia, all the prayers in the world won't stop what Atripla is doing to your emotional state. One of the meds in Atripla is called Sustiva, and Sustiva is well-known for causing depression in some people. It would seem that you are one of them.

You need to speak to your doctor and ask that you be put on a different combo. There are many you can choose from that will do just as good a job on your hiv as Atripla, but won't cause the depression. The other two meds in Atripla are often combined in one pill, called Truvada, and you could keep these two and change the Sustiva portion out for something like Reyataz/Norvir, or Isentress, or other meds.

You do NOT have to put up with the side-effects of Sustiva. For your sake and for your girl's sake, please talk to your doctor about a change ASAP.

Hang in there girl! You sound like a really strong woman - taking care of your girls, working full time and going to college too - wow! Don't let Sustiva get in your way. Please, let us know how it goes with the doctor. If he or she doesn't seem concerned about your depression, you may have to put your foot down and insist on a combo change, but you can do it. Keep us posted, ok?

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 09:32:05 am »
Thank You

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 10:09:55 am »
You're more than welcome, Tia. Let us know how it goes, ok?

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 04:23:41 pm »
Tia, just wanted you to know I totally agree with Ann.  You need to get off the Atripla.  I can't take Sustiva (which you've read is in Atripla) for the very reasons you describe.

You've got a lot going on, and don't need these side effects.  Insist on a change!

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 08:36:27 pm »
* I went to the doctor yesterday and the Atripla is working good for my body. I decided not to be depress and sad. I manage to stay happy and surround myself around positive people. I've been depress free.
My daughters are my rock and they keep me grounded. I'm no longer crying and I've been busy more then ever. Maybe I need to work out because I gain weight and I don't want to get fat. My CD4 increase from 420 to 677 and my VL decrease from 120,000 to 463 undetectable. I don't want to change meds because a different med means a new side effect. I'm so excited and I thank god for all his blessings.  Thank you Ann and Betty. *

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 04:47:39 am »
Hi Tia,

I'm glad you are feeling better.  But just so you know, there are other meds you can use which won't give you the side effects of depression/anxiety.  I take Truvada and Isentress, and so far am virtually side effect free. 

I'm not trying to talk you into switching meds if you want to stay on the Atripla. Just letting you know you have options.

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 11:23:57 am »
Tia, I'm also happy to hear that you're feeling better. BUT - when Sustiva causes depression, it isn't always possible to "think" your way out of it. It's no reflection on you or your strength, it's simply the effect of the drug on your brain and even with the best will in the world, that isn't something you can control.

Like Betty says, there are other meds out there you can take and many of them are virtually side-effect free.

Of course, it could be that your body is finally adjusting to the meds, as you have only been taking them for two months. But please, if you find your depression returning despite your best efforts, please consider a switch. Many people have done it with good results and you can too.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline camps

Re: ATRIPLA (Extreme loss of weight)
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 08:06:52 am »
Good Day ladies

I've been + for the past 13 years and started going on ARV's since June 2010 (vl=450). Dr started me off on Truvada and then changed my meds in march to Artipla. I've always been skinny (45kg) but over this past year I've lost more than 5kg's. I always had a strong mind with coping with this disease, but eversince I've started losing so much weight I'm becoming stressed out and depressed. Besides following a good diet as do you have any suggestions what I can do to start gaining weight. I don't even feel like seeing the Dr anymore cos since Sept 2010 my vl has been undetectable and cd4 over 1000. Only problem is the weight loss and constant tiredness. Dr said there's nothing much he can do cos my body is responding well to treatment, though I don't feel that way.

Plse help.

Luv
Lynn
THERE’S NO MARKET FOR YOUR SORROWS IN THIS WORLD, SO NEVER ADVERTISE THEM

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 08:31:04 am »
Hi Lynn, welcome to the forums.

If you haven't had labs done since September 2010, then you need to have them done again.

What's concerning me is that you started out on Truvada only and this is not an optimal treatment as it contains only two drugs from one class. You should have been on three drugs from at least two different classes (such as Atripla) right from the beginning. You may have developed resistance to one or both of the drugs in Truvada due to being on them alone at the start.

If you did develop resistance, your VL may no longer be undetectable and that may be the reason for your weight loss and fatigue. You went around eight months on a sub-optimal combo and it's very likely that you DID develop resistance. PLEASE do your labs again!

You may want to also post in the Treatment and Side-Effect Forum as you will get more responses there. Only women can post in the Women's Forum, so that limits possible responses. To start your own thread, click on the "New Topic" button that appears at the top right-hand side of the page I just linked you to.

Again, welcome to the forums.

Hugs,
Ann
xxx

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline camps

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 08:48:55 am »
Thanks Ann, I've posted on treatment & side effects.  :)

All of d best 2 u Tia

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 09:44:21 am »
Lynn, after reading your re-post in the Treatment forum, I noticed you added Sustiva to your first combo of Truvada, so you probably don't have a resistance problem after all, provided you're been adherent. Atripla is the same combo as Truvada and Sustiva, with the only difference being that it is one pill instead of two.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline camps

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 04:54:57 am »
Good day

Do u hve any idea wotz d cause of my tiredness and losing of weight?
Because I don't look good anymore, it causes me to be worried and depressed, & make me dispondent 2 go for tests & 2 d Dr, cos what it reveals is not how my body feel. I'm supposed 2 b "healthy", but don't feel that way.

I definetely don't wanna b fat, but want atleast some meat on my bones.

After reading some of d post yesterday, I thought maybe I should take a break from d meds, cos now I look as if I've got Aids already.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 10:09:01 am »
Lynn, do NOT stop your meds without your doctor's supervision. This is particularly important with the combo you are on as suddenly stopping it can cause resistance issues VERY quickly.

As I mentioned in your thread in the Treatment forum, it could be the Sustiva portion of your combo that is causing your depression. The depression in turn could be causing the fatigue and wanting to sleep all the time.

I'll send you a PM (Private Message - you'll see a link to your PM box in your profile links in the top left-hand corner of any forum page) - please look for it.

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.