Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:51:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 330
Total: 331

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Working on Will and been directed to Neptune Society. Any comments!  (Read 9309 times)

Offline jm1953

Hey Members:

Not sure which thread this falls under, but updating our Wills and preparing I guess falls mostly in the Long term survivor category of which I am one.

While updating my Will, which I seem to do a lot these days, I was looking at setting up a pay on death account for funeral/cremation arrangements at my local bank.  Then I was directed to The Neptune Society where you prepay upfront and they take care of everything.  The thing I liked most is the plan travels with you where ever you go so you aren't restricted to one particular funeral home or plan in a city you don't even live in.  I've heard both good and bad about prepaying for these arrangements.  And have heard good and bad about this organization.

Just wondered if anyone might have some more information on this before I make a decision, or have had direct dealings with The Neptune Society.

Any information would be appreciated.

Again apologies if this post does not belong on this thread.

Thanks,

Jeff
Positive 29 years. Diagnosed 10/1987.  Current CD 4: 720: Viral load: almost 100.  Current drug regimen, Tivicay, Emtriva, Endurant, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam, Uloric, Losartan Potassium,Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Offline joejoe1972

• Loving living life!
Re: Working on Will and been directed to Neptune Society. Any comments!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 01:42:05 am »
This is a forum that us LTS are able to talk about things unique to our situations. We are the ones who have wills and have to deal with end of life issues. Unfortunately I do not know about The Neptune Society so I have no advice there. I do think we all should have wills and health directives.

Best Wishes,
JoeJoe
Hiv+ since 1991, AIDS since 2001

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 05:41:43 am »
Jeff, I would say this very much belongs in the LTS'er forum. 

I don't know anything about the Neptune Society, but I do have a cremation service paid for; have had for years.  But, you reminded me that the will I made out isn't current, and needs to be updated.  Good luck!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 11:27:49 am »
Hey Jeff,

I have heard good things about the Neptune Society. I remember people using them quite a while ago when I lived on the West Coast.

The only caveat I can think of is to make sure it won't infringe on any benefits you get while you are alive. I know that having a prepaid burial plot can disqualify you from some Medicaid programs.

I never could figure that out, but it seems to be the case.

But having a prepaid cremation service shouldn't fall into that category. You aren't purchasing property, which I think is the stipulation for the burial plot. You are just prepaying a service.

I will ask the local director whether that would or would not disqualify someone, just for my own edification if nothing else.

You have reminded me I need to make out a will, though. I also need to update my Advanced Directives - because I have no idea where I put them.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 03:19:13 pm »
I know that having a prepaid burial plot can disqualify you from some Medicaid programs.

But having a prepaid cremation service shouldn't fall into that category. You aren't purchasing property, which I think is the stipulation for the burial plot. You are just prepaying a service.

You have reminded me I need to make out a will, though. I also need to update my Advanced Directives - because I have no idea where I put them.
having a prepaid cremation is ok for SS, disability, medicare, medicaid, etc. All that stuff  ;)

dang! I need to dig out my papers too I guess. Since I just moved back home to SC, I guess I need to change all those people named on the papers (eek. Especially since Jim passed away. I don't think he'll be very helpful if I'm unconscious in the hospital  :D )
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline jm1953

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 01:40:38 am »
Thanks everyone for your help.  And to Mark giving me a heads up about the Neptune Society.   I also just found out a contact to another similar organization.

Also thanks for the info concerning how a prepaid arrangement could disqualify me from some government services I am currently on.

It's all kind of depressing, but I just feel I need my house in order when the time comes.  And knowing my family they will not want anything to do with it, with the exception of my 94 year old dad who obviously has limited capabilities 

Thanks again to all,

Jeff

Positive 29 years. Diagnosed 10/1987.  Current CD 4: 720: Viral load: almost 100.  Current drug regimen, Tivicay, Emtriva, Endurant, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam, Uloric, Losartan Potassium,Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 01:49:29 am »
don't forget a living will and/or medical power of attnry papers too ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 08:48:37 pm »
I have had a "will"  of both kinds..( living, medical directive) and a prepaid cremation  agreement for many years.  the prepaid plans vary so much from city to city that I found it was best to choose a provider with the widest area coverage. and the most participating providers (  like a franchise) in my city,   I have no expectations of moving so I am hoping the greater Metro area is sufficient to get the service I paid for....  look at who the participating providers are in your most likely area.. actually go see what they offer.  do they have their own facilities/ vehicles ?? many so called funeral services subcontract some  essential parts of the needed service,   like transporting bodies from point to point , or the actual preparation of the body for whatever  type of service you want, ...I chose one that "owns" all required services and facilities that I wanted in the contract.    things change and I check every few years to be sure nothing has drastically changed...

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline jm1953

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 08:42:08 pm »
Thanks again for all the advice.  Really appreciate it.  You guys have reminded me everything needs to be updated, Will, medical directives, power of attorney, etc.  Also I appreciate the information you shared PozNiceGuy about how you are handling prepaid funeral/burial expenses.  For me, I move around so much I really need one, I think, that travels with me.  I don't plan on living in this city much longer.  No real ties here except my elderly Dad who is doing great thankfully.

Thanks again to all and happy 2010!

Jeff

Offline bear60

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 11:47:57 am »
The cremation plan I bought includes shipping my body from anywhere in the USA to Harrisburg PA to be cremated.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 01:24:12 pm »
an additional thought, for whatever plans/ documents you make.  be sure to include  ultimate disposal of whatever remains......  those who have any honorable Military service are entitled to a place in a National cemetery... but you/ whoever handles the details  have to request that.. I have specified that desire in two places... the basic will and the prepaid agreement..trying not to leave too many decisions to remaining persons.., let them off the hook about why they did whatever I wanted...

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 04:10:02 am »
Jeff,

Thanks for posting this whenever I've been in the hospital and they ask about a living will or medical directive I always think I'm going to do that as soon as I get home.  Once, I'm home and feeling better I forget all about it.  This is the just the reminder I needed to get working on a will. 

My grandmother, whose 103 (104 in April), has 3 burial plots and when she passes the extra 2 will go to me so I at least have that covered but I really need to start making further arrangements and start pre-paying a little at a time.

AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline mudman8

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 02:19:36 pm »
I did all that 5 years ago and settling things helped ease my mind as good friends will know how I want to be cared for.  I've just gone in for surgery and changed my directive to friends in LA and my Dr to advise.  I need to do a trust now that I have more money.

I've thought of Neptune also I think it the most ecological instead of wasting ground space.  But now I think that donating my body to science so some medical student can learn from my body would be most important. For that you don't have to pay anything. Neptune tho once you pay the service fee doesn't go up and it's anywhere that you end up.  I hold no value in my body once I"m dead.  I guess Vincent Price movies creeped me out too much as a kid.
Life is analog

Offline weasel

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 11:39:39 am »

How would one donate their croaked body to Science ?

I think I would like that !

Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline mudman8

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 12:58:23 pm »
I'd call your health provider or if there's a teaching hospital in your area they always are in need. I'm sure there's  form to fill out and they'll put copies in your file.  I feel it's a real education for a med student to see someone with  a medical history like mine.  It is a bit creepy but helping others is the best way.  At first I was going to do cremation as the ecological way.

I have one friend who has a nice house and amazing collection of paintings yet he hasn't catalogued the paintings, insured them or done his will.  He says with a laugh, "but that would finalize everything!" He wants to help a woman friend who has a disabled child yet he's done nothing toward paperwork. She ain't getting crap once the family descends.

I felt setting everything in order relaxed me and I could help a few HIV friends that benefit me, tho they can't be in my Directive.  One good friend spent about 8 years unemployed and he moved in with other friends taking them to hospitals, shopping and cooking. When the guys died they hadn't given him a fat check and the families came in, kicked him out and didn't even say thank you. 3 times in a row....
Life is analog

Offline poztoo

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 08:24:21 pm »
Actually, as a LTS, we have alot to offer in the way of knowledge re how HARRT effects the body, not to mention HIV. As for LTNP's, well, there's much mystery in that also. The recent report of HIV hiding in bone marrow is one example.

As for things like antiques and Art, once insured, those would effect benefits. Maybe not before. Be careful you don't disqualify any beneficiary for that matter.

I haven't done any of these things, other than naming beneficiaries of my various accounts. I've received a windfall myself and must probably buy a condo or house and live in it to keep Medicaid. But, it's a problem I'd gladly be stuck with.

Unfortunately, as a Gay male, one must be bothered my all this if "married" since the IRS et. al. will not offer any help to one's SS spouse.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.