Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:48:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 223
Total: 223

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Curiosity Question  (Read 10967 times)

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
Curiosity Question
« on: May 20, 2008, 09:17:47 pm »
First a little background.
I've been positive for roughly 16 years. 14 of them I have had an AIDS diagnosis. Currently my tcells are 139 and I am undetectable. To be clear I want to say I'm not looking for anyone to give me a diagnosis.

For the last 6 months or more I have had a low grade fever every evening starting sometimes at 4 or 5 pm. Its always under 100 degrees. I've never gotten an answer as to why this is happening from my doctor. 
I have one right now of 99.8 degrees. I take Tylenol and it usually knocks it back down.

Have any of you had this happen?

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Curiosity Question
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 09:32:54 pm »
Hi Wendy

I've had this happen a couple of times a week where I always think I coming down with something but wake up feeling fine the next morning...I wish I had some answers for you but I really don't.

Hopefully someone will be able to come in and explain why this is happening.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 09:34:14 pm »
 I have sometime had slight fevers when allergy season is at its worst or even from cutting the grass without a dust mask .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline kayakinteddy

• I live for this!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 10:00:32 pm »
Pretty much ditto-

Been diagnosed for 13 years.  On and off I come down with random low grade fevers, it is never tied to the other reasons I get a fever, like others said it doesn't turn into anything and is more apt to come on in the evening.  No one has ever been able to explain it and in the past doctors have looked at me like I was making it up.  Now I just chaulk it up to the funky things one's body goes through when it is always battling to maintain balance.  YMMV,
teo
If we seek a just world, we must work to create a merciful one.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 10:04:55 pm »
LOL I'm going to add evening fevers on the list of wierd HIV crap. That and mystery pains.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 10:11:23 pm »
 I thought I was the only one and the king of mystery pains until I read other peoples threads about it .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline northernguy

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 10:22:15 pm »
LOL I'm going to add evening fevers on the list of wierd HIV crap. That and mystery pains.

Are you sure your "normal" temperature is exactly 98.6?  I've heard there's variations (my "normal" is always under 98.6)
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 10:28:16 pm »
My normal is 97.6 if I have a temperature of 98.6 I dont feel good.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 10:28:46 pm »
The only time this happened to me it ended up being an allergic reaction to Bactrim.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 10:35:57 pm »
The only thing that I can coilate with the fevers is that I started taking meds again at the beginning of the year. I've changed the time of day when I take the meds but the fevers still come at the same time.

Maybe it is the meds? No clue.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 10:38:13 pm »
I think low grade fevers are a symptom that don't get a whole lot of "discussion" for some reason...I don't know why, because it's very real and gets really OLD in a hurry.

Several times back in the 90's I was hospitalized for "unexplained fever" or "Fever of unknown origin".  At that time my doctor told me "Don't say you have a fever unless it is over 101" (which I thought was bullshit, because my temp is usually slightly lower than 98.6 anyway)

Sorry this is happening to you Wendy, wish I knew something to say to help but I don't.   I know we're not supposed to take a lot of Tylenol, or so I've been told.

Hope you get some answers and/or relief, or both!

hugs,
Alan

« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 10:40:23 pm by AlanBama »
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 10:43:00 pm »
I'm not going to hold my breath when it comes to getting an answer about the fevers. I use a county clinic and I don't have any faith in my nurse practitioner. I rarely see a real doctor. So I really have to be proactive in my health care.

But I appreciate all of your support and its nice to know other people have had the same issue.

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 12:43:06 am »
That's odd. Mine is normal at 98.6.  Sometimes when I have been eating too much sugar for a few days my blood sugar drops really low a few days later around 4 or 5 and I feel feverish and sick. Weird. Sorry that's been happening to you.
Jan 08       321/23%  VL 92,000 (very mild shingles)
Feb 1 08    Start Truvada+Viramune
March 08    470/33%  VL 320
mid-May     Start Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada
June 08      571/ 40%     VL   80
August 08   585/ 33%     VL >50
Nov  Lab error!!!!!!!!wah.
Jan 09        535      Undetectable
March 11     756

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 03:19:41 am »
I often run a low grade fever. Frau Eva calls it "an AIDS thing" and notes that fevers are to be expected with chronic viral infections.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 05:59:14 am »
I've been poz eleven years, no meds. I get low-grade fevers in the evenings too, but usually only when I'm run down or stress out or similar. I've always put it down to being an "aids thing" too and so has my doc. I usually just ignore it.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 10:38:56 am »
I often feel "flush" but then I take my temperature and it's just normal.  Are all the rest of you (aside from Wendy) who are saying they get this actually taking your temperature these times, or are you just saying that you FEEL like you have one?

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 10:44:48 am »
I often feel "flush" but then I take my temperature and it's just normal.  Are all the rest of you (aside from Wendy) who are saying they get this actually taking your temperature these times, or are you just saying that you FEEL like you have one?

Good point.  Anyone who touches me, and particularly my bed partners, would claim that I have a raging fever 24/7 by the amount of heat I seem to throw off.  However, my body temperature taken in any number of ways will ordinarily come out around 98.0F.
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 12:54:06 pm »

I used to and it would usually be just under 100F. These days I normally just ignore it unless it feels more like a full-blown fever - that's the only time I actually take my temperature now. It's rarely above 100.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 03:56:09 pm »
The other thing is, like right now, I can feel flush in my face, but then my hands and feet are freezing.

It's quite annoying.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 04:06:24 pm »
The average normal temperature is 98.6. But I've never been average. LOL

I have cold hands and cold feet most of the time. If my hands or feet get warm its uncomfortable for me.
I'm just starting to get that run down feeling. I took my temp and its only 98.4 so aside from my hands being pink and warm and me being tired I'm ok.

Guess I should expect to feel like I have AIDS considering its been 14 years since they gave me the label. LOL
Plus 139 having tcells. I think I look fine. I know I have more ambition than my body will allow sometimes.

Sucks to be held back by your own body.  ;D

This too shall pass.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 11:07:06 pm »
My normal temp is 97.6 too! Last summer I started having those low-grade fever in the afternoon, and it's happenning again starting a couple of weeks ago. I believe mine are caused by allergies. I seem to do better when I've been on Claritin for a couple of days.  And I also had a doctor who thought I wasn't really having fevers.

Offline Patrick

• Where the determination is, the way can be found.
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 01:24:14 am »
Sorry to hear about the constant fever Wendy.  What angers me about your situation (anger on your behalf) is that the doctors have allowed your cd4 count to linger under 200 for 14 years.  To me that is unacceptable considering IL-2 has been used with success in raising cd4 counts since the early 1990s (maybe earlier than that).

I wonder if someone in your situation could get into a trial so you could get access to this.  Call it a hunch, but if you were able to boost your cd4 up to say, 500, I would bet good money on you feeling a lot better.

My heart goes out to you.
Seroconversion - late October 07
11/14/07 - CD4 190   VL >750,000
11/14/07 - Started Truvada & Kaletra
12/5/07 - CD4 851     VL 710
2/19/08 - CD4 604     VL Undetectable
5/8/08 -   CD4 829     VL Undetectable
8/12/08 - CD4 915     VL 80 (blip)
11/11/08 - CD4 967    VL Undetectable

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 04:57:37 am »

For me it's fever. Chills, flushes and an elevated temp. I don't take my temp anymore coz I just know what it is, but I used to. Often accompanied by swollen glands.

MtD

Offline dvinemstre

• hot in carolina
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2008, 07:08:10 am »
not sure how old you are, but is it hot flashes?  ;)

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2008, 07:10:20 am »
I'm 32, and I don't think I'm menopausal.

Yet. :)

MtD

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2008, 07:42:41 am »
I'm 32, and I don't think I'm menopausal.

Yet. :)

MtD

What a relief. I don't wish to live so long as to witness the writings that will result from your men-o-poz. Being within range of your cramps and bloating has been sufficent.  :P

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2008, 04:25:09 pm »
Oh man LOL you all are so funny.

Seriously though I failed to mention my tcells have not been under 200 the entire 14 years. They have bounced back up to around 600 before. In the late 90's I took a 2 year drug holiday and somehow was able to maintain a decent tcell count and undetectable viral load.
Well, I did it again a couple of years ago and stupidly chose not to keep tabs on my counts. By the time I went back in to see the doctor my tcells where something like 22 with a viral load of 750,000.
So needless to say I wont be trying to be an enigma again and tempt fate by taking another drug holiday. It was stupid and I'm paying the price for it now.
I'm occasionally hard headed and have to learn things the hard way.      hard to believe I know LOL

Menopause?  I have had problems with my hormones for the last 5 years or so and they do say I fit into some of the classifications of premenopausal. I'll be 36 next week so its slightly early but we all know persons living with HIV for an extended amount of time don't always fit into the mold of normal with health issues. So that could be a reason too. I hadn't considered it before.

Thank you all for your input. Its really helped me to know I'm not alone in this.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2008, 04:40:18 pm »
Wendy, there does seem to be some anecdotal evidence that women who are poz tend to experience menopause earlier than usual. However, I don't think the hot flushes of menopause are actually accompanied by a fever. I was on a drug years ago to induce artificial menopause (to treat endometriosis) and I took my temperature a couple times during a hot flush out of curiosity and it was never elevated.

I was a commercial fisherman at the time and sod's law, damn near every time I had to put my oilskins on and go on deck to haul the catch, I'd get a hot flush. My skipper would be in the wheelhouse roaring with laughter as he watched me frantically trying to get my oilies off. They never come off easily when you're in a rush.  >:(  :-\   ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline zizi_88

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2008, 12:08:04 am »
What is a viral load of 1550?

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2008, 09:14:09 am »
Zizi -- check out our lesson on Viral load here:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/VLTest_4728.shtml

And when you get a chance, start a new thread in this forum using the "New Topic" button, and introduce yourself.

Welcome to our forums!

Peter Staley
Founder
AIDSmeds.com

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2008, 02:06:05 pm »
Thanks Peter. LOL confused the heck out of me.

Ann, do women having hot flashes get a fever? I mean I know they get all sweaty hot but that doesn't describe what I'm feeling.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2008, 06:15:40 pm »
Wendy, when I'd get a hot flash, I'd feel like I was burning up from the inside out. That's why I took my temperature during a few of these flashes - out of curiosity - but it was never elevated. Sure felt like it was though although it felt different from an illness-related fever. They also didn't last too long, certainly not a whole evening. It could be anywhere from five to thirty minutes or so, but never for much longer than that.

The low-grade fevers I get now days are totally different. I don't think anyone could mistake a menapausal hot-flash for a low-grade - or even high - fever.

Ann

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2008, 06:17:43 pm »
Thank you Ann. Thats what I thought.

I think these fevers are just my body fighting. Its just funny how its nearly always the same time of day.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2008, 06:35:43 pm »
It is weird. Is the evening when you relax? Maybe that's when your body has a chance to do some "housekeeping" so to speak. I've always thought that might be a simple (or simplistic ;D ) reason why nightsweats tend to come at night instead of suddenly pouring sweat in the middle of the afternoon. Does that make sense?

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2008, 06:40:15 pm »
Yeah, makes since to me. I typically wake up at 7 am and go to work for a couple of hours then go cart my kid to the college and do any errands for work or home I need to do. So by the time 4 o'clock comes around I've usually been doing as little as possible for a couple of hours at the least.

Makes good since to me. I've worn my AIDS butt out all morning and when given a chance to chill for a couple of hours it retaliates. LOL

I like that answer. Its a good one.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2008, 07:02:18 pm »
I don't think anyone could mistake a menapausal hot-flash for a low-grade - or even high - fever.

Oh, I doubt I'd get that one correctly.

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2008, 08:28:40 pm »
I've been similar, and currently get low grade fevers in the evenings, even when im feeling "well".  Most of the time I will feel my face and forehead and it will be very hot, but when I take my temp, half the time it is normal, the other half, low grade fever.  I've been having these for a couple years on and off, and just live with it as one of those hiv things, or perhaps my blood sugar was high and I was feeling flushed. 

Our bodies do have a virus, and a fever is the body's way of fighting a virus by raising the core temperature as many viruses can't live in a warm environment.  Sadly HIV seems to ignore this little and futile effort our bodies do to protect itself.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2008, 08:39:28 pm »
I haven't given myself any real time to slow down and sit on my rump doing absolutely nothing today.
My temperature is 99.3 right now. When I am done with this post I'll go take something.
But since I haven't been lying on the couch watching TV and vegetating I'm not feeling half as crummy as I normally would.

My hands are hot, I am achy and tired but somehow it just doesn't seem as bad.  Maybe I'm just nuts.

Well, I am nuts but I'm not scary nuts. At least thats what the voices say...

LOL

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2008, 11:21:39 pm »
What else do the voices say?  :D
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2008, 10:16:09 pm »
All sorts of nasty things I usually dont say out loud.  ;D

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2008, 02:51:42 pm »
Maybe it is coincidence.  Maybe not.  I don't know.

But...

I started drinking a glass of chamomile tea around lunch time for the last week and since have had less intestinal pain and my fevers have not gone above 98.7. Or at least I haven't noted any above 98.7.

I went out today and purchased ginger capsules. It supposedly helps with digestive issues. So that is going to be my next experiment.
I also bought cranberry capsules. I have experience with those. They work wonders for urinary problems.
My bf has had kidney stones before and here lately he has complained a few times about pain in that area so I'm going to make him take these capsules and maybe it will help.
I know it works for infections and clearing debris from the urinary tract. No clue if it helps with stones.
Or even if that is what he has...

I'll let y'all know if the ginger seems to help with my intestinal pain.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.