Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:28:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 568
Total: 568

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Increase in Cavities with HIV?  (Read 8677 times)

Offline Maestro

Increase in Cavities with HIV?
« on: March 21, 2007, 05:14:49 pm »
My Uncle saw the dentist and he has 3 cavities.  Any thoughts on this being related to HIV in any way?  I tend to think the acid in the 15+ diet sodas a day he is drinking is eating away his teeth, along with his osteoporosis..

M

Offline bear60

Re: Increase in Cavities with HIV?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 05:17:42 pm »
How is his dental hygine?  Does he forget to floss and brush?
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Maestro

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 05:44:29 pm »
Umm...er...well...I know he has an electric toothbrush!  AND...he lives next door to a dentist...lol...

If I ask him about his teeth, he yells, IM FINE!

Steve

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 05:45:10 pm »
I'm going with the 15+ sodas.  HIV negative people go to the dentist every day for cavities.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 05:54:09 pm »
Unless HIV starts attacking tooth enamel in the way... oh say, 15 sodas a day does... I'd blame the soda.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 06:49:28 pm »
Maestro, he's quite up in years isn't he? I mean as in ....things wear out. I don't know that I would look for an HIV source for those cavities. Sounds like a not unusual happening to me. Just sayin'.....
Andy Velez

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 06:51:51 pm »
15 sodas a day is just bad on so many different levels
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 06:52:40 pm »
Maestro, he's quite up in years isn't he? I mean as in ....things wear out. I don't know that I would look for an HIV source for those cavities. Sounds like a not unusual happening to me. Just sayin'.....

Exactly... it's like someone (say, me) putting up a thread that says, "I smoke a pack a day and have emphysema... could it be HIV-related?"

Blessedly, there are some body parts where this virus gives us a wide berth to let us damage them ourselves.  I think it likes for us to feel proactive like that.

Offline Maestro

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 07:31:46 pm »
Exactly... it's like someone (say, me) putting up a thread that says, "I smoke a pack a day and have emphysema... could it be HIV-related?"

Blessedly, there are some body parts where this virus gives us a wide berth to let us damage them ourselves.  I think it likes for us to feel proactive like that.

Not even close.  Tooth decay is ultimatetly caused by bacteria in your mouth and the acids they release.  It's not a stretch to think that HIV would have some kind of effect in fighting off bacteria, wherever they might be.

I wasn't saying HIV causes tooth decay.  I was asking if anyone with HIV noticed an increase in cavities because they are the result of bacteria munching on sugars in your mouth and producing acids that eat away the tooth.  I did not ask if the HIV was attacking tooth enamel.  Anyways, apparently the answer is no.

Steve

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 07:41:50 pm »
Not even close.  Tooth decay is ultimatetly caused by bacteria in your mouth and the acids they release.  It's not a stretch to think that HIV would have some kind of effect in fighting off bacteria, wherever they might be.

I wasn't saying HIV causes tooth decay.  I was asking if anyone with HIV noticed an increase in cavities because they are the result of bacteria munching on sugars in your mouth and producing acids that eat away the tooth.  I did not ask if the HIV was attacking tooth enamel.  Anyways, apparently the answer is no.

Don't worry... I know it's not a stretch to think that at all... hell, my dentist even told me that cause I'm poz that I need to take extra-good care of my teeth (I'm already obsessed with flossing anyway)... but he also told me that proper oral hygiene would make me have no more problems with my teeth than I would otherwise.

Offline bear60

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 08:28:19 pm »
Benj
 HIV dental problems usually do NOT include cavities. Yes, blame the sodas.
 HIV related problems (its the drugs as well as the HIV) include bone loss and gum disease and eventual loss of the teeth. I have a friend who went to a dentist and had all of his remaining teeth extracted and the same day....all new implants put in. It makes me sick to think about what he went thru. But he looks great now...to the tune of 40,000 dollars.

Offline bsboy

• New Years 06
    • My space
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 10:36:24 am »
If your uncle is on HIV meds, they have proven to cause breakdown in teath, or of course the other side .. not accusing!! but drug use will also do the same...just my 2 cents worth, ...llol
We cant control the wind..... but we can direct our sails.........

Offline puertorico2006

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 01:41:44 pm »
hehe i went to the dentist the other day and had 0 cavities :-D

but she did say my teeth were pretty filed down already and that could cause problems later on....

but i chew ice constantly and drink probably 10+ diet sodas daily so i think that could be the problem.....i think the soda eats away at the enamel on the teeth

Infected Probably: may 2005
Diagnosed: 11/2006

11/28/2006 CD4:309 / VL: 1907 No meds yet
12/27/2006 CD4:339/  VL:1649 No meds yet
  4/28/2007 CD4:550/  VL:1800 No meds :-)

Offline bear60

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 04:17:13 pm »
but she did say my teeth were pretty filed down already and that could cause problems later on....quote
Dude.... could be you are grinding your teeth and that you need a "night guard" to wear to protect your teeth from being ground down.

Offline puertorico2006

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 04:19:00 pm »
yea she did mention that to me so maybe i will need a night guard....but nobody has ever mentioned me grinding my teeth at night (i know if someone else does that when i sleep with them it drives me nuts lol)
Infected Probably: may 2005
Diagnosed: 11/2006

11/28/2006 CD4:309 / VL: 1907 No meds yet
12/27/2006 CD4:339/  VL:1649 No meds yet
  4/28/2007 CD4:550/  VL:1800 No meds :-)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 04:23:34 pm »
If your uncle is on HIV meds, they have proven to cause breakdown in teath, or of course the other side ..

Do you have a link to support this assertion?

link

The teeth are fully formed by the teenage years, and are not affected directly by HIV or anti-HIV medications. Reduced bone mineral density seen in people with HIV does not affect tooth enamel (the hard surface of exposed teeth), and it is unknown what affect, if any, it may have on the underlying bone that supports the teeth.

Offline way.out.west

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2007, 02:02:43 pm »
There is evidence that soda may be the culprit.  Here's an excerpt from an article in the Science section of today's (03/27/07) New York Times:

"Furthermore, some soft drinks contribute to other health problems. The American Academy of General Dentistry says that noncola carbonated beverages and canned (sweetened) iced tea harm tooth enamel, especially when consumed apart from meals. And a study of 2,500 adults in Framingham, Mass., linked cola consumption (regular and diet) to the thinning of hip bones in women."

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 03:01:54 pm »
anything in excess will fuck up your teeth but HIV does cause saliva gland problems(parotid glands) in some of us. Saliva cleans teeth. Lack of saliva can cause cavities. I brush my teeth twice a day and floss and have cavities everytime I go in.  Didnt have a cavity for twenty years.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2007, 03:07:57 pm »
Well, I just took my teeth out and looked at them and I don't have any cavities. ;)

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2007, 03:15:47 pm »
I don't think so.

Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2007, 08:19:37 pm »
There seem to be a few conflicting thughts re this. My ID doc has said the meds CAN cause dental problems (and the fact they sugar coat a lot of them doesn't help). i've certainly had more problems since diagnosis, but that may also be due to fear/difficulty in finding a dentist, and osteoporosis
have you had your bone density checked? men get it too!
x
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 08:42:45 pm »
x

I had it.  No joke.

I had osteoporosis.

Thank you, lactose intolerance.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2007, 12:01:46 pm »
There seem to be a few conflicting thughts re this. My ID doc has said the meds CAN cause dental problems (and the fact they sugar coat a lot of them doesn't help). i've certainly had more problems since diagnosis, but that may also be due to fear/difficulty in finding a dentist, and osteoporosis
x

The question originally however was NOT "dental problems" but specifically cavities.  All I've ever been warned about being more HIV related are other dental issues aside from normal cavities, the gums specifically.   The gum issue is certainly in line with what I've personally experienced during my 15 years of acute infection.  An increase in cavities is not.

Offline bear60

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2007, 02:32:29 pm »
Quote Philly 267: "The question originally however was NOT "dental problems" but specifically cavities."
Thank you.  Please, people, this is very important to remember. There is a big difference between osteoporosis and gum disease and "cavities".

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 08:38:12 pm »
Sorry, too general. apologies
J
x
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.