Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:55:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 215
Total: 217

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sad News about Bob  (Read 6752 times)

Offline bear60

Sad News about Bob
« on: January 21, 2011, 02:17:44 pm »
As we Long Termers know, there is the flip side to all the posts that say "I am feeling so well that I may go back to work."  Indeed, many long termers are doing very poorly.  Often due to complications from drug abuse, resistence problems, or Hepatitis they are frequently homebound and marginally able to care for themselves.
Our friend Bob, who recieved a new liver this past year, has been told that his kidneys have failed.  He will have to go thru a year of Interferon on top of the dialysis, in an effort to clear his system from Hep B.  He told me that "the main side effect from interferon is feeling suicidal.  But that is when you know the drug is working". Good lord. Really?
Since his partner has posted this on Facebook, I dont feel any problem with talking about it here.
Quote:
It's been a while since I posted a Bob update. His liver is working great but the kidneys were also damaged by the HepB & he now will need a kidney transplant. We went back to UPMC in Pittsburgh this past weekend for evaluation. Once he is listed, then it's a wait for a kidney to become available unless a living donor that matches is available. Of course, I will be tested to see if I am a match.

Additional Bob update; Bob goes to HUP today to have an access port inserted and to begin dialysis. We are hoping to do home dialysis, either 2-3 hrs a day, 6 days a week, or 8 hrs, three times a week and avoid going to a dialysis center."
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Sad News about Bob
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 02:32:47 pm »
Sorry to hear of the setback . Your friend Bob sounds like a real fighter , at least he has that and good friends like you to help him through . Im wishing all of you peace and the best of luck .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 08:03:13 pm »
Dear Joel

I'm so sorry to hear about Bob, thinking of him, you and all his friends and family.

{{{hugs}}}
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 09:11:36 pm »
Joel,

Very sorry to hear this latest news. I Will keep Bob in my thoughts.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 05:30:33 am »
Oh Joel, that's very sad.  I hope a match can be found for Bob, without him having a long wait period.  Boy, just when you think things are looking up.......
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline bear60

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 11:00:43 am »
Thanks for the thoughts guys.  Well, on the bright side, his liver is working!!!!  I hope he can survive this latest setback.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 12:49:02 pm »
Hey Joel, 

Sorry to hear about Bob.

I will be sending lots of positive energy his way.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 11:21:54 pm »
Bob is a brave man. I can't imagine what he is going through. I just want to say: What an amazingly strong individual he is.. We are all better for having BOB in our lives.

Thanks so much, Bob!
Positive since 1985

Offline bear60

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 01:19:10 pm »
Thanks Jeff.
If it wasnt for the wonderful support Bob gets from his life partner, he would not have survivwed to this point.  In fact, Don has offered him a kidney if he is a match.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 02:30:46 pm »
Wow Joel, he has had a rough time, hasn't he?  Tell him he's in our prayers...

Alan  :'(
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline decayingsinner

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 07:48:12 pm »
My hopeful thoughts are with you. I hope everything works out for the best.

Offline sorryass

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 09:22:59 pm »
As a new member, I do not personally know "Bob", but please know he is in my thoughts and prayers.  As is his partner, a very brave and compassionate soul.

As my wonderfull sister inlaw would say "Blessings"
Once a gardener,...............er!

*Ritonavir 100mg 2-Day
*Etravirine 100mg 2-Day
*Raltegravir 400mg 2-Day
*Prezista 600mg 2-Day

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 05:01:38 pm »
Sorry to hear that, what a battle ,I remember when you told us about the liver transplant being pleased to hear that news.
mhtv
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 09:11:35 pm »
Hey Joel-

Sorry to hear the bad news about Bob. That dialysis can be a bitch for sure. Having been through a liver transplant myself, I can totally identify with that part of Bob's issues. Done the Interferon thing too. Made me suicidal as well, but in my case it didn't work. Did two regimens of that shit, and have to say Never Again.

I will send good thoughs Bob's way. I know what a struggle he has gone through. The dude could really use a break at this point. Good luck to both Bob, and all those close to him who are pitching in to et him through.

CaptCarl
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.