Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:49:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 556
Total: 557

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Arthroscopic knee surgery  (Read 5236 times)

Offline +/-

Arthroscopic knee surgery
« on: November 30, 2012, 03:20:19 am »
Hi all,

Here goes my story:

Yesterday the 29/11/12, I underwent an arthroscopic knee surgery. The pain started years ago when I recall once I was doing some leg stretching and felt a sharp, uncomfortable pain on my right knee. I took anti inflammatory pills until the pain subsided and also called at the clinic to have it examined.

I was told that I had a torn cartilage and needed to be operated. At that time, considering the fact that I was younger I thought I should give it some time and not undergo the operation. Things were OK for years but recently the pain started cropping up again. I decided that this was the time to be operated.

The operation itself costs 1800 Euro if it's done in a private hospital and free of charge if done at the local hospital. As one can assume, yes, there is a waiting list if the operation had to be performed in a local hospital, however it did not take them long to call me in, in fact it was quicker than I have expected, perhaps the reason being was that the operation was now considered semi urgent.

Being notified:

I was notified on the 27/11/12 to call in for a PREOP on the 28th and the operation will be held on the 29th. I panicked on such a short notice since I had to inform work and also my Infectious Doctor regarding any complications, taking meds, etc. He asked me if I could visit prior the PREOP and so I did, We discussed matters out regarding any complications, meds, etc. and was also handed a note regarding my condition in case I felt uncomfortable revealing my status.

Off to the PREOP:

Once in, I gave the doctor the note - she barely could read what was written and heard her saying "Let me try to identify what is written here". I answered: Basically what is written is that I am HIV positive - on treatment - doing well (all the stuff that was written on the note which I could clearly read) LOL

After several questions asked, she examined me, took blood samples and informed me that I should call in at 0800HRS for the operation however due to my condition I will be the last person to be operated. I managed to sneak peek the how many persons had to undergo this sory of operation and I noticed that I was the 3rd in last but when I revealed my status I found myself last - 8th! I understood and did not even complain about it, this also happens when I visit my dentist, I'll always be the last to leave the clinic.

I had some concerns about confidentiality issues and also who will be the person giving the general anesthetic. A family member is an anesthesiologist and was feeling anxious that he will be present during the operation. No one knows about my condition except my wife and as long as I am healthy, I don't feel to disclose to other family members.

The doctor was kind enough to check who the anesthesiologist will be and NO, thank God it was not the person I knew. Also she told me that things will remain as confidential as possible.

D Day:

Off to the hospital, no food/drink as from midnight - was so hungry >:(  - Was admitted to be registered and asked again several questions, most common one "Do you take any meds" - Yes, I take meds for HIV!

Once registered I went out to the reception near my wife and waited. They called me in about noon - undressed and wore the gown and off to the theater room. Once in I was approached by the anesthesiologist. Again he asked the usual questions, showed me my sign on the consent form and started the procedure to be infused with anesthesia.

Once in the theater, I was approached by a very polite staff. All were asking questions and being hilarious (well that was until I was conscious - not sure if things remained the same after being asleep).

A man in his late 40's approached me and told me that he'll be performing the surgery. He uttered "You know, because of .. I know what he was coming with and immediately replied - Yes because of my condition, please advise everyone to be extra cautious and he just nodded.

I recall wiggling my toes on the stretcher and a nurse told me that I should be asleep very soon. I have noticed that after a while I was still wiggling my toes and thought - damn the anesthetic did not work yet! I remember when I was a child and was given anesthetic it took some time for it to be effective but it was not like this, this time.

When I was wiggling my toes the second time, the operation was done and I was being taken again to the ward to rest.

Being spoken afterwards about the operation:

I was informed that I had a tear in my cartilage. My cruciate ligament was intact and all that had to be done was to trim around the tear, inject some sort of gel which will eventually seal the tear and eliminate the inflammation. I was instructed to exercise at home as per instructions on the leaflet given until they call me for physiotherapy in 2 weeks time and also to remove the surgical suture.

The staff:

All of the staff appeared to be kind (at least in front of me) except for a foreign nun who was assisting in the Day ward, who kept pointing out my status on the file to the staff approaching me. May God give her peace!

Tags noted on file:

BIO-HAZARD
HIV Positive
HIV POZ
HIV +

There's no need of the bio-hazard tattoo, LOL.

Resting:

I am at home now resting and doing therapy as instructed. I shall be increasing my pace as normal within a couple of days and so far, it seems like there aren't any complications to discuss about.

It's true, living with HIV is not like a walk in the park but thanks to my wife, I have managed to move forward and also not let the stigma brought along and about this condition affect my life.

Also I would like to thank all of you for taking time to read my story and provide answers related to my questions when I needed them.

Regards

+/-

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 01:59:27 pm by +/- »

Offline bufguy

Re: Arthroscopic knee surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 09:15:02 am »
Great write up...Thank you for sharing with us what is a very routine procedure, but has a whole number of "complications"...usually not medical or technical for those of us who are HIV+.
The only procedure I have had is a colonoscopy. The doctor and staff couldn't have been better....They had my complete medical history and never once even brought my status up.....A none issue!
5/29/08 confirmed HIV+
6/23/08 Vl 47500  CD4 511/29% CD8 .60
start atripla
8/1/08 Vl 130  CD4 667/31% CD8 .70
9/18/08 Vl un  CD4 not tested
12/19/08 Vl un CD4 723/32% CD8 .80
4/3/09 Vl un CD4 615/36% CD8  .98
8/7/09 vl un CD4 689/35% CD8 .9
12/11/09 vl un CD4 712/38% CD8 .89
4/9/10 vl un CD4 796/39% CD8 1.0
8/20/10 vl un CD4 787/38% CD8 1.0
4/6/10 vl un CD4 865/35% CD8 .9
8/16/10 vl un CD4 924/37% CD8 1.0
12/23/10 vl un CD4 1006/35% CD8 .9
5/2/10 vl un CD4 1040/39% CD8 .9
8/7/13 vl un CD4 840/39% CD8 .
11/29/18 vl un CD4 1080/39% CD8  .86

Offline 2manyquestions

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 08:10:46 pm »
Thank you for the story, hope you have a full recovery!

I've been wondering myself if anesthesia or anything else in medical procedures really matters in terms of the pozzie patients health or interactions?  Assuming that we're talking about a patient with modern meds, adherence and reasonable lab #'s.

From the answers I've found, it's just about letting staff know so they can be super careful.  Although, they should be anyway since they are exposed to more than just this bug.

I would appreciate any feedback where Pozzies found out that disclosing their status helped them or prevented ?something? medically that would have affected them.

My doc also seems to think that you don't *need* to disclose but that it's the right thing to do.  The exception perhaps being a life threatening emergency, where some of the strong drugs and treatments may interact, even then he says that it likely will not change their course in life threatening matters, just potentially have a negative effect that will be outweighed against the possibility of death.

Thoughts from experienced Pozzies?

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 08:26:49 pm »
If you're going in for surgery, you absolutely must disclose your status and the medications you're taking.  There are some possible interactions with anesthesia and HIV meds.

I had a severe reaction to Versed during a operative procedure a couple of years ago and it's my fault for not speaking up sooner.  The anesthesiologist met me just moments before the procedure and looked up and asked about my HIV status.  Didn't occur to me at the time that he didn't have time to check the possible interactions between the drugs I listed and the anesthesia. 

Wolfie

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline 2manyquestions

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 09:27:20 pm »
Thanks Wolfie, would you share the meds that interacted?

I'd love to get a proper list of interactions with my meds to know what to avoid.  Nobody is as concerned about my life as me.

I know they are posted but its really hard to tell what's real and what's the CYA for the pharms because one guy one time reported a problem that may or may not have been attributable.  I've read labels for meds, freaked out, not taken them because an interaction is listed, contacted a doctor and then been assured that there would not be a problem.  That was a hard pill to swallow!  But he was right, no interaction.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 09:33:06 pm »
If you click on the treatment tab at the top, one of the options is drugs.  Click that and you'll see all the meds listed.  Just click on each med you're taking and it'll give an overview.

Wolfie

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 07:00:14 am »
Thanks Wolfie, would you share the meds that interacted?

I'd love to get a proper list of interactions with my meds to know what to avoid.  Nobody is as concerned about my life as me.

Versed must not be given when the patient is taking Sustiva or Rescriptor.

Caution should be used with the other NNRTIs as well as the PIs.

You can find out about possible interactions between most hiv meds and many commonly used meds for other conditions (including some herbals and recreational drugs) at http://www.hiv-druginteractions.org/
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wolfter

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 12:10:38 pm »
Versed must not be given when the patient is taking Sustiva or Rescriptor.

Caution should be used with the other NNRTIs as well as the PIs.

You can find out about possible interactions between most hiv meds and many commonly used meds for other conditions (including some herbals and recreational drugs) at http://www.hiv-druginteractions.org/

Thanks Ann, I looked for that specific site but my brain wasn't working.  Time to bookmark it.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.