Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:26:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 351
Total: 351

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: so a doctors office canceled my appointment after I arrived ???  (Read 8734 times)

Offline ATLANTACHUCK

so a doctors office canceled my appointment after I arrived ???
« on: September 16, 2013, 06:36:17 pm »
can I charge them ?? It is a huge well known hiv medical  chain
called me 5 min before my appointment and told me there
was no doctor in to see me today .. need advice ....

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: so a doctors office canceled my appointment after I arrived ???
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 06:39:01 pm »

Welcome to the forums ! . It cant hurt to mail them a bill and see what happens , one things for sure and that's they will never forget you again  ;) .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 06:46:31 pm »
Welcome to the forums ! . It cant hurt to mail them a bill and see what happens , one things for sure and that's they will never forget you again  ;) .

I agree with Jeff, send them a bill. They wont pay it but you will get your point across. ;)

I've had appointments cancelled a couple times when I checked in. It's annoying. But I've also typically wait for up to 2 hours to see my doc. So regardless It's not a fun time for me on doctor day.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 08:56:30 pm »
The bill idea is cool and all, but have you called them back and talked about this?

What doctor was it? Your screen name suggests Atlanta. Have you tried Absolute Care?

There is also Pride Medical if your insurance takes it.

Doctors are still people, and can have emergencies. I can't believe the clinic did not profusely apologize and reschedule though.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 12:27:10 am »
I'm understanding, if they are understanding when I have to cancel, or if I'm running late.  I have one doc, where I'm always waiting an hour just to go back to a room to wait longer.  He's also cancelled on me a few times, at the last minute. 

I am always on time 99.9% of the time.  One time, I was 20 minutes late.  They said I would have to reschedule, as their rule is anyone 20 or more mins late won't be seen.  I put up a stink how I've always been understanding, and that I would not reschedule.  Once, I sat in the waiting room for an hour, only to be told the doc wasn't there.  Why the receptionists didn't tell me that, I don't know.  I began to think he just decided to leave early, after I was already there. 

This reminded me of the Seinfeld episode, where George demands payment for the doc canceling, so that she could go skiing.  He was charged for missing a previous appointment. 

http://youtu.be/ECmtCdUtEMI

Offline buginme2

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 01:00:08 am »
I've had to wait up to a couple hours before however, the doctor was with a patient who wasn't in very good shape.  I actually was rather impressed that he spent the time with a patient that needed it (I was just there for a regular appointment).   Another time I accidentally no showed (a Google calendar mistake on my part), then showed up three weeks after my appointment date.   Point is shit happens.  If you like your doctor and are getting good care otherwise why make a federal case out of it?

Maybe there was a valid reason for canceling.

Sending a bill sounds short sighted.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 01:21:16 am by buginme2 »
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 08:03:10 am »

Hey, shit happens.  If this isn't a pattern, but a one-off - I'd say drop it.  Maybe the doctor had an accident on the way in, maybe he had a dying patient at the hospital that needed his immediate attention. 

Many doctor's offices will be understanding with you if you have a last minute emergency and no pattern of missing appts.  Not all, so spare me your horror stories folks, but many.

M

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 10:22:43 am »
Just let it go, it's not like it was personal, you should have asked why, most likely the doctor had an emergency.  But do make a point to note it on your records in case you ever have to cancel your appointment and they want to charge you.
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.