Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:47:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772964
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 144
Total: 144

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Chantix Anyone  (Read 197304 times)

Offline poz1970

Re: Chantix Anyone
« Reply #150 on: August 31, 2007, 06:32:47 pm »
Any australians in here know whether this is available in australia yet?

J
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #151 on: September 11, 2007, 02:25:14 pm »
bump -  I want to hear updates!   :)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: September 11, 2007, 02:51:07 pm »
OK, it's my second day being smoke-free.  I feel great, however the cravings are there sometimes.  I'm using Chantix.  I tried that way of quitting about a month ago, but with everything that happened with my mum (she passed Aug. 10) I didn't follow through with it then.  But, I know the health benefits are enormous, as is the cost-saving.  I can't afford $7/day for cigarettes.

Timmy, I wish I could smoke like you, just socially.  I can't do that.  Probably not only the physical, but I have such an addictive nature anyways.  I haven't been around anyone yet who smokes, but I'm sure that'll be hard.  It's hard if I'm watching a movie and someone smokes.

Of course, this is just day two.  But it is huge for me.  With my mom dying of lung cancer (from second hand smoke) and my dad having emphysema and chronic bronchitis, my chances, along with having AIDS and being diabetic, are slim and none that I would live a long healthy life if I continued to smoke.  Anyway, wish me luck.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
« Reply #153 on: September 11, 2007, 03:03:15 pm »
Good Luck Betty. Also any others that try to kick the habit.

I could really kick myself in the ass for starting back but it is just so hard when the people you are around everyday like your family and they smoke. I could do it if I really wanted too. But living beside someone that smokes and others in my family that smoke it can be hard. I started at the age of 25 after I had a boyfriend that smoked like a freight train and we broke up a few months later I started after that.

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #154 on: September 11, 2007, 03:24:51 pm »
good luck Betty,

I know it is hard but it is a conscious decision you make and it can be done...I was a smoker for over 20 yrs.. I started smoking at 14 and smoked 1 pack of Camels a day.
I believe I will always be a smoker, although I have not smoke a single cigarette since March of this year (using Chantix), I still get cravings and like you Betty, I can't smoke "socially" like Tim.  One puff and I know I will go back to smoking full time.
Chantix worked great for me, the craving diminished and I was able to turn my attention to something else.  My roomate smokes still, but always outside.
It is funny, sometimes the smell of cigarette smoke is horrible and sometimes it just makes me buy a pack of Camels.  But I always opt to go for a walk with the dogs or do something else to get my mind off the cravings.
I also joined the online support that is on the Chantix website and that did help me for the first month ( it is an incentive to see that everyday and log your progress, at least for me it worked.)

Anyway... I wish you all the luck and remember, after some 4 weeks without any cigarettes the cravings are totally psychological, MIND OVER MATTER , that's how it works.

edit to correct spelling
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline atxpozguy

• POZ+ 32 year milestone reached for Austin man
« Reply #155 on: September 11, 2007, 06:15:43 pm »
Chantix does work as it made it possible for me to quit smoking completely, I am into my 7th week without a cigarette and now actually can mow my entire yard without stopping for a break.  :o

32 years poz LTS with no expiration date

Diagnosed HIV 1982
Diagnosed AIDS 2001

As of June 2015, VL <20 CD 435 26%

Currently taking a daily total of 17 meds while only two meds for AIDS, the rest for other body organs effected by years of retrovirals. Diagnosed with Lung Cancer 2012, COPD Stage 4 2015, IBS 2013, Chronic Cystitis, Chronic Renal Failure, Hearing Loss, Depression and everyday comes with different health episodes which has sent me to the Er via EMS on a regular basis.  My quality of life has been impacted dramatically.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #156 on: September 12, 2007, 12:04:56 am »
Hey gang,

Well, I quit using Chantix. I stopped smoking Jan. 27. I did cheat twice, when I started Sustiva and it made me a bit crazy.

But, the cigs tasted so bad I never finished either of them and gave the rest away. So, I have been more or less smoke free for going on eight months now.

Chantix really does work. I was never able to kick the habit before, often never lasting an entire night without having a cig.

I stopped taking Chantix about a month ago now and am still smoke free. I am around a lot of other smokers and there are times I would really like a smoke.  Not a craving, mind you, but a real desire to smoke. It feels more like a rose-colored memory than a craving.

All I have to do is stand near someone smoking and the smell drives me away - and kills the desire for a cig.

So, I am am committed non-smoker at this point. Never thought I would do it, but I did.

I have gained 16 pounds since January. I don't like it, but everyone else says I look better a bit heavier. It hasn't helped my sex life any, but at my age, I'm not going to kvetch.

So, to all of you who have decided to take the plunge pack off the cigs, you can do it. I did, and my dear people, if someone who has smoked for 34 years can do it, I know you can too.

HUGS,

Mark

(Who also likes the fact he can really smell the rain now.)

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #157 on: September 12, 2007, 04:05:37 am »
Picking up my starter pack of Champix (the Canadian version of Chantix) today. I have to pay out of pocket for it but who cares. I am SO bloody fed up with wanting to stop but caving in again and again.

Google led me to this alarming bit of info:

Apart from being a non-nicotine smoking cessation treatment, Champix is also beneficial because it reduces the smoker’s urge to smoke and soothes exasperating withdrawal symptoms. Smoking is the worst of all habits and can be really difficult to give up. But if you really want to quit smoking and are serious about it, go for a safe smoking cessation treatment.

Your decision to quit smoking will yield many benefits such as:

• live longer and better
• lower your chances of having a heart attack, stroke, or cancer
• improve your chances of having a healthy baby
• save people you live with especially your children
• more money to spend on things other than cigarettes

So I have to get pregnant now and live with children. Great! My doctor neglected to mention this.  :-\
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 04:57:19 am by DanielMark »
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #158 on: September 12, 2007, 07:51:54 am »
This is day #3 for me without the cigarettes.  Mark, your story is inspirational.  I know the feeling of the Sustiva fog, as I've been on Sustiva now for a year and I still sometimes get that. 

Last year I quit smoking using the nicotine patches for like three months, but then was around people who smoked a lot and I started back in again.  For me, Chantix works better than the patches, as they were just replacing the nicotine.  (And Medicare Part D quit paying for the patches, but they pay for Chantix).  I did start exercising.  Nothing strenuous, as my left kneecap is broken and the cartilage in it is collapsed.  Just some easy pilates.   I wonder if we should start a quit smoking support thread in O.T.?  It seems many of us are going that way (smoke-free). 

Good luck everyone.  I think the benefits will be enormous.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline PRMike

« Reply #159 on: September 13, 2007, 07:35:53 am »
hi everyone, today makes 6 days without a smoke and I am so happy..
I want to say thank you because I would have not tried to quit if it were not for the good things that were said here about Chantix,  after reading what was posted I asked my Doctor and she was so happy because she had been after me to quit,  so anyway I just want to say thank you to everyone and please hang in there..  STAY STRONG
PRMike

Offline PRMike

« Reply #160 on: September 13, 2007, 04:53:28 pm »
I just got a call from my Doctor and she called my health plan and did a Prior Authorization Request  which from what I understand is that I have been trying to quit smoking but I have failed in my attempts so now they will pay for the rest of the Chantix that I will need...  I am so happy and I thank GoD for my Doctor she is so cool may God bless her...
anyway bye and stay strong
PRMike

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: September 14, 2007, 07:31:10 am »
This is day #5 for me with no cigarettes.  Last night was hard because after class, there were three students smoking in the parking garage and one of them smokes the same brand of cigarettes that I smoked.  But, I just stuck a toothpick in my mouth and kept quiet about it.  I still have urges, but tell myself "it will pass" when they hit.  I wonder how everyone else is doing? 

Offline PRMike

« Reply #162 on: September 14, 2007, 07:47:14 am »
Hi BettyTacy  well I'm on day 7 and I'm feeling pretty good, I sometimes want a smoke but it is not a bad urge like I used to have before the Chantix now I just think of the benifits I will have by quitting smoking...
so my hats off to you and stay strong ok
PRMike

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: September 14, 2007, 09:24:05 pm »
A friend of mine took me to Outback Steakhouse tonight to celebrate my not smoking.  So that was nice.  I'm feeling better already and know that will improve as time passes.  Hang in there PR, and let me know how it's going!

Offline PRMike

« Reply #164 on: September 15, 2007, 11:52:07 am »
Hi Betty well so far so good,  I just went and picked up my continueing packet and I'm soooo  glad that I did not have tp pay for it,  now all I have to do is wait for the paper work in order to get reimbursed for the $120.oo that I paid for my starter kit...  Ok girl stay strong  bye
P.S.  to everyone else keep up the good work
PRMike

Offline komnaes

« Reply #165 on: September 15, 2007, 12:01:35 pm »
Wow.. it sounds like it's time for me to jump on the Chantix train too!

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

Shaun
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #166 on: September 16, 2007, 09:14:43 pm »
This makes day #7 for me.  How are ya PR?  I'm doing alright.  Still getting urges, but not quite as strong.  Hope you're staying quit.  I know I'm planning on it-for today anyway! ;)

Offline cayucosguy

« Reply #167 on: September 17, 2007, 02:38:58 pm »
Beginning month two... no real urges, no real desire, but I still have a puff or two if someone else is.

However, when will the dreams/nightmares stop?!  Sustiva was never this bad!

Anyone else still having bizarre dreams or nightmares?

Offline PRMike

« Reply #168 on: September 18, 2007, 10:06:49 am »
Hi today is day 11 for me and I am feeling pretty good, I'm not getting the urges like I used too but every once in awhile I think of it and I compare it to the time I was on drugs and to be honest with everyone quiting smoking has been harder for me than getting off drugs and thank God I have been clean 5 yrs now..

Betty thank you for your concern and please hang in there ok.

Cayucosguy-  I have been having some very vivid dreams but no nightmares so I like them so far
PRMike

Offline Gary85741

• Native Virginian living in Tucson AZ
    • Good guy, good heart
« Reply #169 on: September 27, 2007, 09:37:03 am »

Today is day eight of Chantix for me...the first day I am not supposed to smoke at all.
     I was smoking two packs a day for many years...I loved smoking.  The first week of Chantix I just smoked five cigarettes a day.  When I smoked them they didn't seem to give me any 'rush' like they would normally.
     I'm going to sincerely try to beat this habit and be smoke-free.  My initial inducement was a nodule detected on one of my lungs from a recent CT chest scan...talk about scaring the daylights out of me.  I don't know yet whether it's benign or malignant...waiting for authorization for a lung biopsy.
     Anyway...I will never be a non-smoker who criticizes smokers...I got my fill of that for years and wouldn't be that way to others now.

Gary
Poz since '89. 
Current regimen: Rescriptor, Emtriva, Kaletra, Invirase, Acyclovir, Lisinopril, Lipitor, Prilosec, Valium, Testim, Nandrolone, Loperamidr, Marinol.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #170 on: September 29, 2007, 08:15:24 pm »
I'm going on week #3 being smoke-free.  Can't believe it.  I use a lot of hard candy, mostly mints since I love the taste of something fresh rather than the nasty taste of the cigs.  Sometimes I still want one, and I don't hang out with anyone who smokes, because if I see someone smoking, I want one.  I can really tell when a smoker comes by me now; it smells horrible.  I wrote down the reasons I wanted to quit and I look at them frequently.  I wonder how everyone else is doing.  Oh, I won't be a non-smoker who preaches to everyone either.  I called those the worst kind of reformed smokers.  It never worked for me and it was irritating.

Offline bear60

« Reply #171 on: September 30, 2007, 01:18:17 pm »
I wonder when Milker is going to try quitting again.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #172 on: September 30, 2007, 01:25:45 pm »
Soon I hope. Anyone getting a bit nauseous 10mn after taking chantix? Seems to be getting worse for me, about 10mn after I take it for 30mn.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #173 on: September 30, 2007, 02:48:11 pm »
No nausea for me Milker, in fact no nasty side effects at all. Are you taking them with enough water?

I'm on day 20 of Champix (Chantix in Canada) but only day three of not smoking after a slight setback last week. All we can do is keep going forward, right?

Hang in there!
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Basquo

« Reply #174 on: September 30, 2007, 03:30:37 pm »
I got my script in July and I'll fill it and start taking it the first week of November.  I really enjoy smoking but I've really started noticing the odor on my clothes and certain things in my house, and on other people too.  I'm really looking forward to the $$ I will save--Beson & Hedges is NEVER on sale!

Now about that 30lb weight loss...good thing I hung on to some of my 'fatboy' pants, may need them come Christmas.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #175 on: September 30, 2007, 07:55:33 pm »
Milkie, I don't get nauceous anymore, but I found out that I have to eat when I take the Chantix.  I didn't the first time I took it and I threw up.  I hope you quit soon!  Tomorrow will be week #3 for me!

Creighton- I've noticed that I've put on a few lbs.  I think it's the whole oral fixation thing.  You will be surprised about the money you save. 

Offline PRMike

« Reply #176 on: October 02, 2007, 05:54:12 am »
Hi everyone day 25 and i'm still smoke free and it feels great. No urges but I do think about them..anyway I just wanted to check in stay strong bye
PRMike

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #177 on: October 02, 2007, 07:58:03 am »
Hey Mike, have you noticed your sense of taste improving?  Or your sense of smell?  I'm still waiting for mine to improve.  It's day #22 off cigarettes.  I do feel better a little.  And the craving isn't nearly as bad as it was.  Of course, I'm staying away from people who smoke right now also.  That's what fucked me up last summer when I quit for like two months, was hanging out with a heavy smoker.  I'm not going to put my head in the sand, so to speak, just being cautious because I really don't want to smoke anymore.  Hey Milkie, what's happening with you?

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
« Reply #178 on: October 02, 2007, 06:34:41 pm »
I got nausea when I took Chantix, but I notice I didn't get sick if I ate before taking it, so I recommend taking your Chantix with a full meal or at least a good snack.
Just stick to it guys..I was a smoker for 22 years and I have no desire to pick up smoking cigarettes again. ;D

Basquo...just find something else to do besides eat....or eat healthy snacks like apples, carrots, celery, etc...and go walking or something if you get the urge to smoke.  Now, quitting during the holidays...hm mm, the weight gain will probably be there, but blame the holidays and all that food, even I gain weight between Halloween and Christmas   :-*

Rich
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline PRMike

« Reply #179 on: October 02, 2007, 06:41:43 pm »
Hi I really have not noticed any improvement on any smells or taste and I too am staying away from my brother when he is smoking because when I see him smoking my mind starts playing games with me and I feel like asking him for one, I did that when I first started the Chantix and I do not want to make the same mistake again.. otherwise I am feeling pretty and I think I have gained a couple of pounds because my shorts fit tighter..ok bye for now and stay strong
PRMike

Offline PRMike

« Reply #180 on: October 03, 2007, 06:27:28 am »
Hi Betty and everyone else what I meant to say was that I'm feeling pretty good not that I'm feeling pretty  LOL LOL.
anyway I hope everyone is well and still going strong on their quits, ok bye for now have a great day
PRMike

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #181 on: October 03, 2007, 06:33:07 am »
Still not smoking.  My sense of smell has improved, but not so much my sense of taste.  (I do expect that to improve however).  Last night in class, this guy came in after the break and I immediately smelled cigarette smoke on him. It smelled awful and it made me re-affirm my decision to not smoke.   I find yoga helpful also, as the whole breathing thing that goes along with it seems to help a lot.  I am gaining some weight, but I just expect that to even out.  And yes, I do gain weight around the holidays.  Just comes with the territory.  I wonder how Milkie's doing.

Offline PRMike

« Reply #182 on: October 03, 2007, 07:02:21 am »
Hi Bettytacy I'm glad to hear that your still doing good, hang in there it can only get better right.
ok bye for now always Mike
PRMike

Offline PRMike

« Reply #183 on: October 04, 2007, 05:55:16 am »
Good morning everyone, I would like to know if anyone knows of this other forum called ( Has anyone heard of Pfizer's chantix ) I used to go on it every day and there was alot of surport on it but today for some reason I can not find it, I always go to my search history and log on that way but it's no longer there.
if anyone can help me I will be grateful.  thank you and may you have a great day
PRMike

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #184 on: October 04, 2007, 07:14:40 am »
Hey Mike, I think it's getquit.com.  I'm not sure, but I think that's it.  I get e-mails from them quite regularly..

Offline PRMike

« Reply #185 on: October 04, 2007, 11:36:00 am »
Hi Bettytacy,  thank you but I was able to find it, I just had to put Topix at the end ( Has anyone heard of Pfizer's Chantix - Topix ) I always check this site and that one also in the morning and today I kind of felt alittle lost with out it.
I am still doing good even though today when my brother & I went shopping and he always smokes 2 or 3 on the way to the store I kept thinking to myself I kind of want to ask for one but then I said to myself if I do it will only put me back to where I was before and I do not want to do that..
ok bye for now please stay strong :o ;D ;)
PRMike

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #186 on: October 06, 2007, 09:02:19 am »
OK, I went to my dad's yesterday.  He has emphysema and still smokes.  Not that if he quit, it would cure him.  He's 79 yrs old and has been smoking for 61 years.  His lungs are beyond repair.  But listening to him trying to breathe, yet still lighting up, is another good reinforcement for me to stay quit.  Milkie, oh Milkie, have you quit yet?  How is everyone else doing?

Offline PRMike

« Reply #187 on: October 06, 2007, 09:11:38 am »
Hi BettyTacy I know how you feel, I recently went with my Brother to the VA hospital for his check up and I saw this man putting a cigarette to a hole in his neck and I could not beleive that he would still smoke after going through that,  I think that image also had something with me wanting to quit smoking and today is day 29 smoke free.  I hope that you and everyone else are well? ok bye for now please stay strong
PRMike

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #188 on: October 08, 2007, 03:05:30 pm »
Go Mike Go!

I quit Jan. 27 using Chantix and have done pretty well.

Hang in there!!!

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
« Reply #189 on: October 08, 2007, 03:21:28 pm »
Congratulations Mike, 

You are doing great!  I am happy for you.
I received an email from the get quit support from Chantix just the other day and I thought it was cool.  It asked me if I had smoked any cigarettes since my quit date and a BIG CONGRATULATIONS message one I checked the NO I HAVE NOT SMOKED box.  I made me feel good...Yes I did it!!!!
Keep strong and you too will get your Congratulations email from Chantix on day 199 without a cigarette.

Rich

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: October 08, 2007, 06:05:30 pm »
Hey Mike, great going.  Yesterday made day #30 for me being smoke-free.  I'm really happy about it.  Hopefully many more days to come for us.

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
« Reply #191 on: October 08, 2007, 06:49:59 pm »
well shame on me  >:( 
Congratulations are in order for you too Betty.  :D :D :D :D :D
great news, you are doing great, I am happy for you.
another thing that really helped get excited about quitting is how much money I have saved, so far I have saved over $700.00 and I will use this money towards something really good, just not sure what.
Rich
(an ex smoker)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #192 on: October 08, 2007, 07:01:51 pm »
I recently went with my Brother to the VA hospital for his check up and I saw this man putting a cigarette to a hole in his neck and I could not beleive that he would still smoke after going through that

The first time I saw a person doing that was enough to convice me to quit smoking...That was years ago.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline PRMike

« Reply #193 on: October 08, 2007, 07:11:32 pm »
Hi aztecan, pozattitude,Bettytacy & everyone else thank you for your words of encouragement and Congrats to you all, Bettytacy I think you & I quit on the same day my first smoke free day was on Sept 8th
and I am so happy that I have quit, the smell of my brothers smoke is begining to bother me now but I wont give up...ok bye for now  and may you all have a great day
PRMike

Offline PRMike

« Reply #194 on: October 08, 2007, 07:18:56 pm »
Hi J.R.E.  yeah that was a trip seeing that man put the cigarette to the hole in his neck, I just pictured myself doing that and I think that had alot to do with it, plus my Doctor told me that a weakness that I had in my legs could be a cloged vien and I found out that I do have a small clog, she also told me that it could affect your sexual performance which I was really surpised to hear and I really do not want that to happen to me.  LOL  anyway nice meeting you.
P.S. how long have you been smoke free???
PRMike

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #195 on: October 09, 2007, 04:56:01 am »
Unfortunately, I have not been able to actually put money aside that I save from not smoking.  I never budgeted for it before and don't know how I actually afforded cigarettes and kept myself from drowning financially!  Anyway, today is day #31. 

Mike, cigarette smoke is really offensive to me anymore.  I cleaned out my car when I quit.  When I cleaned the inside of the windshield off, I couldn't believe how much yellow stuff came off and I thought "Good lord,wonder what that did to my lungs!"  So glad that I'm not doing that now.

Offline komnaes

« Reply #196 on: October 12, 2007, 05:22:27 am »
Just got my starter pack today!

We call it Champix here for some reasons and it costs more than what you guys pay for in North America! Two weeks cost like USD60, and I am supposed to do it for 2 months, a total of USD420!

Glad to hear all the positive stories here! Let's hope I kick this one soon...

Shaun
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #197 on: October 12, 2007, 05:59:58 am »
Shaun, good luck.  I know it's a lot of money, but think of all the money you spend on cigarettes!

Mike, how are you doing? 

Today makes day #35 for me.  Feeling better all the time.

Offline PRMike

« Reply #198 on: October 12, 2007, 08:13:51 am »
Hi Betty, Today is truely a great day to be alive and smoke free, I'm on day 35 also and yesterday I got the greatest gift anyone could of giving me,  I FOUND MY SON  after 28 years of searching for him and yes he was alittle reluctant to speak to me and I undrestood that but we ended up chatting until 1:30 am so I am very greatful that I am clean & sober and now smoke free, I have a Granddaughter and my son back in my life and I really want to be around to get to know them.
God works in mysterious ways and today I feel so good..
I hope that you are well and to every one else I want to say please hang in there tomorrow is worth living for.
ok bye for now and may you all have a great and smokeless day  bye
PRMike

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
« Reply #199 on: October 12, 2007, 08:52:52 am »
Mike and all the others that have taken the time to quit I wish you luck and sucess in this product. Keep up what you are doing. I will try and start back very soon. At the present I have too much on my mind too stop. I took the leap and quit for 30 days and started right back it is hard but it takes a lot of well power to quit.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.