Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:39:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 339
Total: 340

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sunday "Special".....  (Read 7177 times)

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
Sunday "Special".....
« on: July 10, 2007, 04:29:27 pm »
First off, yes, I do still lurk.....  ;)

As some of you might recall, I started one of the first Gay car clubs on the planet, the "Freewheelers Car Club", back in March of 1978.  Well, on Sunday, Sept. 16th, they are having their 23rd Annual Benefit Car Show.  The location will be in Collingwood Park, just one block from 18th and Castro (please talk to Allang for directions).  They are limiting the show to only 50 cars this year, and none of them can be any newer than 30 years old.  The benefit this year is the "Positive Resource Center" which helps HIV+'s with Counseling and Employment Services.  I have no idea what the entrance fee is, but if you tell them you know the founder, Tim, they might possibly let you in, but be sure your money is going to support other HIV+ people, so it isn't an expenditure, but an investment.

Their website is www.thefreewheelers.net if you would like to take a peek.  I think those of you who are car nuts might just be a bit impressed at some of the iron included in the members "corrals". 

Have a wonderful trip and please feel free to attend the  car show.   On top of being a wonderful show of cars, the "camp" is priceless.

Yours,
Tim.

The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline mjmel

Re: Sunday "Special".....
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 04:49:11 pm »
I once owned a '57 Chevy & a '60 Impala. Think I may attend this just to shake your hand and then visit the Castro area on Sunday. I would love to see the cars also. How will I find Tim (aka Moffie) because that avatar of yours doesn't give me an idea of a face to search for.
xxx,
Mike

« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 05:03:44 pm by mjmel »

Dan J.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 05:54:38 pm »
Daddy Tim,

You know I love cars & if theres a small chance that I might see Y.O.U.  I'll be there! They won't be able to keep me away! & I would be glad to pay any fee  it it helps other people with HIV/Aids.

In LOVE & respect,

Dan

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline allanq

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 06:10:49 pm »
Tim,

I love the 59 (?) Plymouth convertible on their website. It looks like it's ready to take off.

What are the hours for this event?

Are you going to be there?

I hope you're doing well.

Allan

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 06:46:10 pm »
Well guys, first off, I won't be there this year, just too many health issues, and I didn't want to take away from the grants committee for a third year, as my budget doesn't cover travel of most any sort, except to Phoenix and Tucson for medical care.  I used to live in San Francisco, and if you go to 437 29th street, you'll see the four unit I used to own.  It is just up the street from the Convent, where Sister Act took place.  Across the street from the Convent, is the Star Bakery, where you can buy the deadliest Cream Puffs on the planet, and it is seen several times in the movie, and it is all very available using the Church Street trolley line.....  OK enough of all this.  I will have to wait till next year to decide for another trip.

Make sure to ask Allan about Metro passes that will work for the whole day, because the public transport in San Francisco will allow you to see the whole city, in one form or anther.  The cable cars are still the cheapest, most fun filled entertainment in North America; in my humble opinion.

http://www.thefreewheelers.net/some.html

I screwed up and should have included this link to the Freewheelers Gallery, to see more of the cars.  There are more than hundreds of cars in the club now, and the membership is now around 300.

Allan, the schedule is a promotional "Stop and Stare" on Sunday, September 9th, from 7AM to 4PM.  They will be parking some of their cars on Market Street, between Noe and Sanchez, and everyone is invited to cruise by and ogle the cars.  This is a promotion of the show the following weekend.

The Freewheelers Car Club show schedule is from 10AM to 4PM on Sunday, the 16th. 

Once again, thanks for reading, thanks for supporting the club, and I will try to see you all again next year.

Tim...
Lynn Lavne

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 07:16:31 pm »
Hey Moffie,

I love a car show and the Positive Resource Center is one of the greatest organizations in support for people living with HIV.  I will be there.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline mjmel

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 05:26:42 am »
Moffie writes, "Well guys, first off, I won't be there this year,..."

What?  :(
xxx,
Mike

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 04:31:45 pm »
The Positive Resource Center web site can be found at www.positiveresource.org They help people living with HIV to get training and jobs.  Have the best day
Michael
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 04:35:35 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline mjmel

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 07:03:37 am »
I'm going to include this in my plans on Sunday, Sept. 16th. Definitely a good cause.
San Francisco bound in six weeks!
xxx,
Mike

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 05:32:28 pm »
Hi Guys,,,

I see Dennis is doing a smashing job with putting this trip together, which doesn't discount those others of you who are helping, but I needed to thank all of you, even though I am not going to be there.  Dennis, you rock!

I just got off the phone with Todd Jackman, who was the President of the club for about five years and is on the committee to put together the show this year.  While it would be nice to get you all into the show for free this visit, he told me they lowered the gate fee to $5;00 this year, which is really a low fee for seeing 50 of some of the finest antiques anywhere, plus all the camp...

As an update, and a reminder for those of you who are bay area residents; Sunday Sept. 9th is the Stop and Stare in promotion of the show the following weekend.  It will be located on Market, just below Noe Street.  There are three shifts of cars, starting at 7a.m. and running through the day to 4p.m.  This is a fabulous opportunity to meet and greet some of the owners of the cars you might have seen in the Pride Parade, so make sure you cruise upper market that day and enjoy a changing show...

Dennis, and Allan, when any of you get to the show on the following weekend, Todd asked me to make sure you introduce yourselves to him, and he would be more than happy to show you around and welcome you to the club event.  As and aside, he was in High School when I lived a street away from him, and his mother was one of my buddies and also my insurance agent.  She and I used to cruise the avenue and do the drive ins along the El Camino, every time I changed cars or added one to the collection.  She looked best in the '68 Cadillac Convertible with the 6ft. scarf that was d'regure for a top down drive.  Ah the good old days...  Now he is all grown up and semi retired and just the most incredible man I have known in a long time. 

OK, been busy and keeping tuned in here also, so just wanted to let you all know.

Love.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Dennis

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 11:51:23 pm »
Thanks Tim!  This event is most definitely an assett to this years schedule. 

I just noticed I placed this event under Saturday on the AMG info thread.  Everyone please note the event is on SUNDAY and not Saturday.  I'll have this updated as soon as possible. 

For those of us doing the trip over to Sausalito this day, I'm thinking it may be possible to do both.  Begin the day with lunch and some window shopping in Sausalito and end the day in the Castro for the car show. 

Peace,
Dennis

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.