Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:35:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 188
Total: 188

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: KS and recreational drug use  (Read 4494 times)

Offline veritas

Offline J220

Re: KS and recreational drug use
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 09:46:03 am »
Let me paste here the "bottom line" of that particular study, until others have the time to go through the whole thing:

"These findings do not support a biological association between use of these substances [Marijuana, Cocaine, Poppers, Amphetamine]and KS development in HIV- and HHV-8-coinfected homosexual men."

Although they did find a higher incidence of KS in individuals with 3-5 years prior poppers use, they attributed that to unsafe sex practices rather than a biological connection. This should help put to rest the myth that popper use itself, biochemically, causes KS. This study clearly shows that it doesn't.
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 10:46:52 am »
Again, it's NOT the substances that cause damage, it's the accompanying (for many) lifestyle practices (not eating well, not sleeping enough, barebacking x10, etc.)

Let's put it this way -- if you snort poppers daily but ride up and down on a gargantuan dildo by yourself I seriously doubt that this will give you KS.  But hey, I heard drugs are bad so let's just blame them for everything.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline dearestgrandson

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 04:20:45 pm »
"Poppers" are not drugs. They are a form of nitrates, and if I remember correctly they were once prescribed to lower blood pressure. I think you would be hard pressed to find any credible person other then an "AIDS dissident/denialist" who would compare them to heroin or cocaine.

Offline J220

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 01:22:14 am »
"Poppers" are not drugs. They are a form of nitrates, and if I remember correctly they were once prescribed to lower blood pressure. I think you would be hard pressed to find any credible person other then an "AIDS dissident/denialist" who would compare them to heroin or cocaine.

Of course it's a drug, by definition. So is aspirin, alcohol, etc....but the purpose of this study was not to make any statement that poppers are as potentially harmful, either physically, socially, or emotionally as, say heroin (clearly they are not, you are correct there) . It was to specifically see if there was a correlation between the use of the substances they selected for the study and KS. And there isn't, which is great news.
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 02:37:41 pm »
Poppers use has definitely elevated my cd4 counts.  Trust!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.