Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:53:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772948
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 468
Total: 468

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Psychiatrists' Personality  (Read 3693 times)

Offline RobbyR

Psychiatrists' Personality
« on: February 09, 2014, 11:54:32 am »
Am I expecting too much from my psychiatrist? I began seeing him in August, & interested to find out that he is also gay, so that made me feel more comfortable, our first visit went decent, he took time to ask me questions, what brought me in, etc..Then he began putting me on meds, so I was hopeful. The meds have made a big difference, I am Bipolar & have Anxiety, so they have helped me improve my life a great deal. But each visit since, my psychiatrist is very standoffish, barely spends more than 2-5 minutes with me, & seems very hurried & preoccupied. He basically just keeps his head buried in a notepad, barely looks at me, & comes off very standoffish.

I don't get it. I know psychiatrists aren't therapists, but given my mental health issues, shouldn't he spend a bit more time with me? My counselors & case workers have told me that it's kind of the nature of the beast, that most psychiatrists are like that..But I'm not so sure.

Don't get me wrong I'm grateful to be able to see a psych, my doctor basically got me referred to him on his/her friendship. I certainly couldn't have afforded to see one on my own, although now I am on the affordable care act (medicaid).

Btw, when my psych found out I'm now on the affordable care act, he seemed rather hostile to it, which I found strange.

Anyway, I'm a very intuitive person, & I just find it odd that he keeps his head buried in his notepad & basically just comes in & throws meds at me then leaves & doesn't even talk to me much.

I recently had what I think was a mild manic episode (even on meds) & I tried to tell him about it but he just threw a new med at me.

So what should I do? Should I stick him out for now? I'd hate to leave him & go to someone else who maybe was more personable but less likely to prescribe meds, which I definitely need for my issues. Thanks for any input.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Psychiatrists' Personality
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 12:09:57 pm »
1) yes, if a psychiatrist is just keeping you on the same meds you've been on there's little to the visit than getting your refills. If you have some change that needs to be addressed then they will spend more time with you if there's a need to alter your medication.

2) are you supplementing all of this with regular therapy visits? If not, why not? That's really where gelling with your therapist's personality is more important.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Psychiatrists' Personality
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 01:44:42 pm »
There are psychiatrists who do talk therapy, all different kinds, and there are psychiatrists on staff in a heath care network with the job of prescribing and monitoring psychiatric drug treatment.

It sounds like you are hooked up to your psychiatrist through the prescription route.  If so, the both of you are not there for therapy, and that is the nature of the set up.

However, you are perfectly justified to communicate your observation about your relationship to him.  That doesn't mean he is going to be able to change anything, but you do have a right to expect some eye contact and a response to your observation. 

If you want therapy, you have to figure out what kind of therapist is available to you - via the ways that the therapist will be paid...

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.