Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:51:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 243
Total: 246

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Call to Action - HIV Travel Ban - One Click to Communicate!  (Read 24993 times)

Offline emeraldize

Call to Action - HIV Travel Ban - One Click to Communicate!
« on: December 30, 2007, 03:40:17 pm »
Hello Everyone

We have Gerry to thank for creating a letter and link that makes it incredibly easy to send your concerns to legislators regarding the HIV Travel Ban.

Click this link to send your e-mail: http://www.rallycongress.com/am/954/ and encourage your family, friends and others to participate as well.

When the first thread was pulled together with instructions to send letters, it was labor-intensive. A couple of us were concerned that this timesaving link was buried and deserved a thread of its own.

Now, it's easy to communicate quickly and accurately. You can also opt to add comments if you wish.

Repealing the current ban and implementing new legislation is important for all of us; foreign visitors because of travel and US citizens because of stigmatization and confusion.

Gerry also shared a link to Congresswoman Barbara Lee's letter to DHS which will be of interest to you. http://lee.house.gov/index.cfm?ContentID=1165&ParentID=0&SectionID=4&SectionTree=4&lnk=b&ItemID=1160

This is a great way to start the New Year...by uncorking your bubbly Activism!

Best regards
Em

(Please forgive the unsophisticated links. They're not copying in as I'd hoped, but they do work!)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 03:48:58 pm by emeraldize »

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Call to Action - HIV Travel Ban - One Click to Communicate!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 04:20:31 pm »
Thank Em and Gerry

I have sent off the link to my fellow board members at "Positive Women Inc" and other members some of whom have family and friends in the U.S.

Lets hope 2008 will see this ban lifted.

Happy New Year to you and your family.

hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 05:12:35 pm »
Thanks to you for the extra work , it made it much easier to send the letters to congress this time......this will be my third message to the congressmen about this subject but the easiest to send and personalize....I like the "hand deliver" option....I know how much more respect that gets from the congressional aides over the ton of emails they get everyday.

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 11:05:46 pm »
Hello Jan and Nick!

Thank you for the feedback.

Passing this along to those whom we know is a large part of the success of this campaign. So often, our friends, ASO staffers, medical team members and other natural advocates aren't necessarily aware of such opportunities to lend swift support.

Great to hear from both of you. Gerry made this so easy for all of us. We owe him the gratitude.

Happy New Year.

Em

Offline Jody

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 08:38:23 pm »
Thanks Em, Gerry...My e-mails have been successfully sent to Senators Clinton and Schumer and Rep. Weiner.

Happy New Year and let's hope for some big, good news changes this year!!!

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 06:40:15 am »
Hello Gerry and Em,

Thanks for getting this together. Makes it a lot easier. I sent out three Emails, to my representatives, they were all verified.Went out to Bill Nelson (D-Fl),  Mel Martinez (R-Fl), And Gus Bilirakis (R-Fl)

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 02:43:21 pm »
em and gerry
thank you so much for doing this
xxxx
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 10:29:26 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  Thanks to Em for resurrecting this in a new thread.  The automated e-mail was pretty easy to create after I learned about the website.  We can easily do any future calls to action as well.  Hope we get more people to join in.

Gerry

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 08:16:37 am »
Super bump.

This is one of the most important things all US AMsite members can do to favorably affect our brothers and sisters worldwide and to influence the way in which those with HIV/AIDS, whether in the US or elsewhere, are viewed.

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 12:10:55 pm »
how apt you bumped - cos i was sent an article from the body today on this very issue:

http://www.thebody.com/content/art44728.html?mtrk=5197324

Housing Works
HIV and Travel
600 Groups and Individuals Respond to the Feds' Call for Comments on Policy Barring People With HIV From U.S.

January 4, 2008

Better not have any HIV meds in there ...
Some speculated that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) was trying to pull a fast one when it gave the public a mere 30 days to respond to its proposed changes on a 20-year-old policy banning foreigners with HIV from entering the U.S. However, advocates and individuals weren't so easily had: Some 600 organizations and individuals responded to the DHS' December 6 comments deadline.

You can check out all the comments here. Among the organizations that weighed in were AIDS Action, the American Public Health Association, AIDS Project Los Angeles, the American Immigration Lawyers Association, Gay Men's Health Crisis (GMHC), the HIV Law Project, Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund, the International Women's Health Coalition. the International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI), National Immigration Forum and Physicians for Human Rights.

DHS' rule changes were ostensibly intended to ease travel restrictions for non-U.S. citizens with HIV but actually created new barriers.

Just before Congress went into recess for the holidays, Sen. John Kerry and Sen. Gordon Smith proposed a bill that, like similar legislation in the House proposed by Rep. Barbara Lee, would strike a provision in the Immigration and Nationality Act that renders people with HIV inadmissible to the U.S. and return authority for that determination to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).

On Christmas Eve, the Boston Globe ran an eloquent editorial in support of lifting the ban.

It's a tad disheartening that like Lee's version, it was released just minutes before Senate recess so it couldn't gain any momentum. Regardless there is only so much Congress can do -- HHS does not have to overturn the ban on HIV-positive travel and immigration. A change in the Oval Office may be the faster route to justice: Clinton, Obama, Edwards, Richardson, Dodd and Kucinich responded to the AIDSVote.org survey question, "Do you support the repeal of the ban against people living with HIV entering the United States as travelers or immigrants, and which bars those in the U.S. from legalizing their immigration status?" with a resounding "Yes."

"A Step Short of a Yellow Star"
The Update combed through the comments on the travel ban on regulations.gov. Below is a round-up of well-reasoned and passionate opinions from elected officials, organizations, and concerned citizens opposed to the new DHS regulations:

Sen. Edward Kennedy: "The proposed rule offers little value to HIV-positive applicants. Instead, it imposes strict requirements that unfairly limit travel to the United States in a manner that is inconsistent with the best scientific understanding of the disease. It is mired in the past, a past where people feared HIV as a contagious disease could not be controlled or effectively managed."

Gay Men's Health Crisis and the Lift the Bar Coalition (28 signatories): "The HIV entry bar fails even by its own logic: It undermines public and individual health and drives up the cost of health care. ... It forces HIV-positive immigrants to go underground, and discourages them from seeking care until they end up in the emergency room with full-blown AIDS. It is no wonder that the American Medical Association, the American Public Health Association and two Secretaries of Health and Human Services have all acknowledged that HIV entry bar is unjustifiable on public health grounds."

Elizabeth Wilkes (individual): "Every behavior that is associated with this damaging and discriminatory regulation is also associated with non-HIV illnesses. To single out HIV to demand these restrictions and behaviors is to open the door to any other illnesses and/or deformities that would be considered "non-desirable" -- identifying and dogging many innocent people. It is one step short of demanding that HIV-positive people wear a yellow star."

Julie Beschta (individual): I am writing to urge you to reconsider your current ban on the travel of HIV-positive persons to the US. Let us be a (positive!) leader in international policies!"

Human Rights Watch: "This law is contrary to international human rights protections against discrimination and serves no justifiable public health purpose. The United Nations International Guidelines on HIV/AIDS and Human Rights note that there is no public health rationale for restricting liberty of movement or choice of residence on the grounds of HIV status."

Seth Berkly, president of IAVI: There would be a real cost to be paid, in progress against AIDS, for this new policy. IAVI's scientific team, for instance, researches and develops AIDS vaccine candidates and conducts HIV clinical trials and clinical research through partnership with more than 40 academic, biotechnology, pharmaceutical and government institutions around the world. IAVI's work requires constant collaboration with scientists, policymakers and advocates from, among other places, those parts of the world hardest hit by the epidemic. Our headquarters staff travel to their home regions; they travel to our headquarters and laboratory in New York. If this exchange of people and ideas is hampered any more than it already is by further restrictions in immigration policy, the global effort to develop a vaccine will suffer.

To join GMHC's Lift the Bar coalition, contact: Nancy Ordover at nancyo@gmhc.org / 212-367-1240 or Vishal Trivedi at vishalt@gmhc.org.

This article was provided by Housing Works. It is a part of the publication Housing Works AIDS Issues Update.

----
boston globe editorialreferenced in this article: http://www.boston.com/news/health/articles/2007/12/24/a_ban_that_helps_no_one/

Globe Editorial

A ban that helps no one
December 24, 2007
TWENTY YEARS ago, when fear and uncertainty still marked the public's reaction to AIDS, the federal government banned HIV-positive travelers from entering the United States. Since it has long been established that the virus cannot be transmitted through casual contact and can be successfully managed, the ban serves no public health purpose. It is merely discriminatory, and it has disqualified the United States as a site for some international AIDS conferences. It should be dropped.

more stories like thisA step in this direction is a bill by Democratic Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts and Republican Senator Gordon Smith of Oregon. They would repeal a 1993 measure that enshrined the ban in federal law. Authority over the admission of HIV-positive visitors and immigrants would return to the Department of Health and Human Services.

Although the bill calls for the department to review the public health aspects of restrictions on persons with the disease, some AIDS activists are skeptical that the department will come up with a policy that genuinely opens US doors to HIV-positive individuals. If the Kerry bill passes, he and other members of Congress must ride herd on HHS to make sure that any policies it adopts are in line with the UN guidelines on HIV/AIDS and human rights, which state that it is discriminatory and unjustifiable on public health grounds to restrict a person's movement or choice of residence based on HIV status. The United States is one of just 13 nations that have HIV travel bans. Others on this list include China, Iraq, Libya, and Sudan.

A particularly harmful effect of the current ban is that it undercuts the efforts of US programs in Africa and elsewhere to end the stigma associated with AIDS. Stigma often keeps individuals from getting tested for HIV. Testing is the first step toward treatment, and it can prompt people to stop practicing unsafe sex or using contaminated syringes.

In 2006, President Bush recognized that the ban was self-defeating and called on the Department of Homeland Security to improve the current waiver process, which is extremely difficult to negotiate. Critics of the ban, however, believe that the proposed new requirements for waivers still put applicants through humiliating hoops that shred their privacy rights. The proposals place much authority in the hands of consular officials with little medical expertise.

"There have never been public health grounds for denying people living with AIDS admission to the United States," said Frank Donaghue, chief executive of the Cambridge-based Physicians for Human Rights. At a time when public health officials all over the world are doing their best to normalize the treatment of this disease, ending the ban is just what the doctor ordered.

© Copyright 2007 Globe Newspaper Company.
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 12:44:00 pm »
OK.  They've now all heard from me via both email (thanks, Em!) and regular mail.

EDIT:  and special thanks to Gerry!
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 03:29:09 pm »
I am absolutely wowed by what Gerry did with this and am very grateful.  I've sent letters via email in the past but just took adavantadge of the new set-up to send again (actually had missed a local person)

Gerry - this was wonderful and I thank you for your hard work.

Em - thanks for letting everyone know.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 03:39:50 pm »
I am absolutely wowed by what Gerry did with this and am very grateful. 

Testify. 

Folks, it absolutely DOES NOT get any easier than this.  Great work, you two.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 10:16:15 pm »
Thanks Tim!

Like Iggy, I re-sent another letter using this template and received confirmations of receipt from the three legislators to whom it was sent asap. It's very slick.

Tomorrow, I'm going to compose a short e-letter to family members, medical team and friends who know my status and ask them to participate in this campaign. Included in the letter, I'm going to ask them to then create their own letter and invite their family members, friends and colleagues to participate.

Would that be called viral viral marketing?

Em

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 10:51:06 pm »
Hello Everyone

We have Gerry to thank for creating a letter and link that makes it incredibly easy to send your concerns to legislators regarding the HIV Travel Ban.

Em

(Please forgive the unsophisticated links. They're not copying in as I'd hoped, but they do work!)

THANKS, Gerry, Em, EVERYONE! Super Easy. Fine software! Please don't forget to add your email friends as a Forward request at the end (You'll be prompted)8)  -megasept

Offline srmn98

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 11:17:26 am »
Thank you for this. It makes it very easy to have a voice and to pass the message along. Thank you.

Sara

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2008, 02:53:45 pm »

I just received the following Snail-mail letter today, in regard to the above :

Dear Raymond,

Thank you for contacting me to share your support for HR. 3337, the HIV nondiscrimination in travel and Immigration Act.  I appreciate hearing from you.

H.R. 3337, sponsored by Representative Barbara Lee, would remove from the Immigration and Nationality Act a provision rendering individuals having HIV inadmissible to the United States.

H.R. 3337 has been referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary and is awaiting further legislative action.  Since I am not a member of this committee, I will only be able to vote on H.R. 3337, when the entire house considers it.  You may be certain That I remember your support for this bill should I have that opportunity.  I will also share your support for the HIV Nondiscrimination in travel and immigration Act with my House colleagues, who will benefit from your views.

As a resident of Florida's Ninth District,  your comments and opinions are an important source of information to help me carry out my duties as your federal representative.  In that regard, please do not hesitate to contact me in the future on any issue important to you.  Also, if you would like to be informed more frequently about my work in Congress and in Florida's Ninth Congressional District,  please visit my website at   http://www.bilirakis.house.gov    to sign up for regular email or send me a message.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.

Sincerely yours,

Gus M. Bilirakis

Member OF Congress

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2008, 03:10:18 pm »
I've emailed my letters!  Thank you both for the helpful link!
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline strykern

• Oh. I see...
    • Strykern Journey
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2008, 09:23:33 pm »
Thank you for this!
It is what it is...

I am what I am...

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 01:35:31 pm »
This is really cool to see folks unite and participate.  Thanks for all the feedback!  Keep it coming!

And if you happen to reside in any of the districts represented by these members of congress, be sure to send your letters because their subcommittee will the one that would decide if this bill goes any further into the voting stage.

Hon. Zoe Lofgren (D) California, 16th
Hon. Luis Gutierrez (D) Illinois, 4th
Hon. Howard L. Berman (D) California, 28th
Hon. Sheila Jackson Lee (D) Texas, 18th
Hon. Maxine Waters (D) California, 35th
Hon. William D. Delahunt (D) Massachusetts, 10th
Hon. Linda T. Sanchez (D) California, 39th
Hon. Artur Davis (D) Alabama , 7th
Hon. Keith Ellison (D) Minnesota, 5th
Hon. Anthony D. Weiner (D) New York, 9th
Hon. Steve King (R) Iowa, 5th
Hon. Elton Gallegly (R) California, 24th
Hon. Bob Goodlatte (R) Virginia, 6th
Hon. Daniel E. Lungren (R) California, 3rd
Hon. J. Randy Forbes (R) Virginia, 4th
Hon. Louie Gohmert (R) Texas, 1st
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 01:49:06 pm by gerry »

Offline srmn98

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 10:42:03 am »
I emailed my senators last week regarding the travel ban -- funny, I got an email back from one of my Senators this morning. It was just one word:  "True."

Odd, huh ?  A few friends of mine that I asked to send the letter got the same response. I'm going to take it as an affirmative response I suppose.

Sara

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 12:04:05 pm »
I sent the email, and I put the link to the email letter on my web site!

Lets get this ban ended!
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 04:14:52 pm »
Sara

I agree, that's a strange sort of response, but I would take it as affirmative, too.

Em

I emailed my senators last week regarding the travel ban -- funny, I got an email back from one of my Senators this morning. It was just one word:  "True."

Odd, huh ?  A few friends of mine that I asked to send the letter got the same response. I'm going to take it as an affirmative response I suppose.

Sara

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 02:57:29 pm »
Can I make a little proposal?  This thing that Gerry has brought us is really amazing.  So incredibly easy to use.  I'm wondering if it can be tweaked a little and a "blank slate" version of it be created, making it reusable by us for future issues and always handy.

In other words, make a standard reusable version that we can sticky to the top of this Activism forum. 

Is that doable?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 03:35:45 pm »
Can I make a little proposal?  This thing that Gerry has brought us is really amazing.  So incredibly easy to use.  I'm wondering if it can be tweaked a little and a "blank slate" version of it be created, making it reusable by us for future issues and always handy.

In other words, make a standard reusable version that we can sticky to the top of this Activism forum. 

Is that doable?

I'm very much in favor of this idea...and maybe taking it one step further.

When the Travel Ban Project began, I searched for the very kind of site/module that Gerry found, and I just couldn't locate it myself.  I am grateful for the sake of this action that Gerry is better at knowing how to get things to work and which websites to use than I.  Truly he took what was something that was only be kicked around and engaged in by a few and made it a group project.  I truly give him credit for the success of this action so far.

Back to Tim's point, The site in question already offers a template here: http://www.rallycongress.com/  with a few additional tools, however I think we could take this a little further with some help from the moderators.

What would be great is a sticky thread, as Tim suggested that not only includes the above mentioned site, but perhaps tools for campaigns that are not just U.S. specific or even U.S. congress specific.  I admit I don't know what exists out there, but think maybe we can set up a thread (non-sticky) that firsts asks people for suggestions to other sites and modules and then someone (Any volunteers?) work with the moderators on actually developing a sticky thread that lists all the information in a clear and concise format.

I really would love to see this area (AIDS Activism) become more active and think Tim's idea could fuel that.

Offline Jody

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 08:16:52 pm »
  Senator Clinton's response to e-mail I sent to her re: call to action:

Dear Mr. Barnofsky:

Thank you for sharing with me your thoughts and concerns regarding immigration reform. This is an important issue, and I appreciate hearing from my New York constituents on this critical matter.

Our immigration system is in crisis, and we need to find a thoughtful and effective solution that combines a number of reforms. A comprehensive reform to our immigration laws must have, as essential ingredients: a strengthening of our borders, greater cross-cooperation with our neighbors, strict but fair enforcement of our laws, federal assistance to our state and local governments, strict penalties for those who exploit undocumented workers, and a path to earned legal status for those who are here, working hard, paying taxes, respecting the law, and willing to meet a high bar.

Along with these changes, it is imperative that we repair those broken portions of our immigration system that irrevocably damage families and force citizens and lawful immigrants to live apart from their spouses and children overseas. This is why I introduced an amendment during consideration of the immigration reform bill that would have taken steps to protect the sanctity of families. Our American values demand no less.

I am deeply disappointed that we still have not solved our nation's immigration crisis. We need comprehensive immigration reform, and I hope that we can achieve legislation that secures our borders, respects the rule of law, and honors both our history as a nation of immigrants and our core American values of respect and compassion. Balancing all of these interests is not easy, but it is a debate we must take on. That is why I voted for cloture on the immigration bill, a procedure that would have kept the immigration reform process moving forward in the Senate. Unfortunately, the bill failed to achieve the 60 votes necessary to continue.

The thoughts and concerns of my constituents are very important to me and I thank you for taking the time to write. For updates on this and the many important issues being considered by the United States Senate, please check my website at http://clinton.senate.gov .

Sincerely,

Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton

Grateful Dead

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2008, 12:54:54 am »
Hi Tim and Mark:

Anyone can create a "campaign" through the Rally Congress website.  The caveat to that is the person who created it earns the privilege to be the "admin" for that campaign and part of that is the function that can download information submitted by participants onto a spreadsheet.  So this can potentially create issues depending on if the participating member does not want his or her information accessible to the person who created the campaign.  I just found out about this feature yesterday (when I was trying to learn the stats function).  I deleted the spreadsheet that got downloaded to my computer.  So if members have issues with me knowing about the information they submitted, please keep this in mind.

I have managed the AMG Grants Committee account the last couple of years and folks have entrusted me with their money and the personal info that came with it.  I haven't (I hope) broken any commitments to these folks.  I intend to honor the same commitment to this e-mail vehicle that I initiated (and would actually just not download that function again).

If in the future, folks want or need to initiate other calls to action, I can easily do so and it will be assigned a different HTML.  I'm open to doing that if folks would continue to entrust me with the information that they share.

They used to have a feature that allows anyone to just write a letter to their senators and representatives without creating a call to action.  I can't find it now.  But I think I can create a blank "call to action" and that will allow people to write their own letters.

Gerry

P.S.  Hillary's canned response above seems off the mark!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 01:04:28 am by gerry »

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2008, 05:01:38 am »
P.S.

I didn't realize there is a Senate version of the same bill (S 2486) sponsored by Senators John Kerry and Gordon Smith introduced on December 14, 2007.

http://kerry.senate.gov/cfm/record.cfm?id=289214
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 05:31:39 am by gerry »

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2008, 05:30:43 am »
UPDATE:

There are now 2 versions of the campaign:

House version: http://www.rallycongress.com/am/954/

Senate version: http://www.rallycongress.com/am/992/

To those who sent the earlier version to both the house and senate, if you wish to re-send the senate version to your senators, please click on the second link.

Thank you.

Offline Jody

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2008, 08:26:57 am »
Hi Gerry...Thanks for the links...I too was disappointed in Senator Clinton's response, that it did not get to the heart of the discrimination issue which specifically was the prejudice that exists towards travellers to the United States who have HIV.  It was an overall immigration response that did not get to the heart of the e-mail sent to her and was too broad with no distinctions made.

Jody 

Grateful Dead

Offline Iggy

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2008, 10:00:23 am »
P.S.

I didn't realize there is a Senate version of the same bill (S 2486) sponsored by Senators John Kerry and Gordon Smith introduced on December 14, 2007.

http://kerry.senate.gov/cfm/record.cfm?id=289214

Wow - The senate introduced this!  That is actually fantastic and this seems to be moving along at a much faster pace than I assumed it would.

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2008, 03:26:25 pm »
UPDATE (Again)

I updated the original campaign to include both Congress and Senate bills.  The reason for doing this is because the original link (http://www.rallycongress.com/am/954/http://) has gotten substantial views that it now appears on page 2 on Google search (search phrase: HIV travel ban).  It will probably take more time for the newer link to catch up.

Hopefully, that will generate more participation in addition to views.

Gerry

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2008, 03:40:58 pm »
What an excellent update!!! Thanks for letting us know, Jerry.

Offline EricMPLS

• trying to keep up that smile..
    • myspace.com/justeric1977
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2008, 04:47:55 pm »
Thanks so much for the information.   I was unaware such a bill was pending, and have sent emails to both my senators as well as Rep Ellison (member of the subcommittee on Immigration, Citizenship, Refugees, Border Security, and International Law).

I'll let you all know if I get any meaningful responses.   :)

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2008, 07:41:06 am »

Also received this Email from Mel Martinez (R) Senator Florida, yesterday, As to the above

Below is a response to the recent comments I received from you:

Dear Mr.....:

Thank you for letting me know of your concerns regarding new regulations proposed by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) regarding travel restrictions on HIV-positive individuals seeking to visit the United States. I appreciate hearing from you.

For more than a decade, the federal government has maintained strict rules regarding travel and immigration to the U.S. by individuals who are HIV-positive. These rules are intended to reach a balance between the openness of our society and the legitimate public health concerns associated with the HIV/AIDS epidemic. I believe that people must be treated with respect, as we strive to achieve a difficult balance on such a delicate issue.

In an effort to satisfy concerns of unfair treatment from these travel restrictions, the Administration has proposed new regulations to simplify the visa process for HIV-positive persons seeking 30-day stays in the U.S. I understand that some have expressed reservations about this approach, and I trust that DHS will give full consideration to the numerous public comments sent in as part of the regulatory process.

Again, I appreciate hearing from you. Please know that I will keep your thoughtful comments in mind should the Senate address U.S. restrictions on HIV-positive people visiting our nation. Do not hesitate to contact me with any additional questions or comments. For more information about issues and activities important to Florida, please sign up for my weekly newsletter at http://martinez.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

Mel Martinez
United States Senator

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2008, 09:49:39 am »
Bump. Because this issue is important.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2008, 11:00:17 am »
Jeromy made a linked button right on his website homepage.   
http://web.mac.com/jeromy.dunn/iWeb/POZitively_Speaking/POZitively%20Speaking%20Home.html

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2008, 02:00:48 pm »
US Drops Ban on HIV-Positive Diplomats

By MATTHEW LEE – 15 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Under pressure from a lawsuit, the State Department is changing rules that had disqualified HIV-positive people from becoming U.S. diplomats.

Effective Friday, the department removed HIV from a list of medical conditions that automatically prevent foreign service candidates from meeting an employment requirement that they be able to work anywhere in the world.

The change was made after consultation with medical experts and in response to a lawsuit filed by an HIV-positive man who was denied entry into the foreign service despite being otherwise qualified, the department said.

Prospective diplomats with HIV will now be considered for the foreign service on a case-by-case basis, along with those with other designated ailments like cancer to determine if they meet the "worldwide availability" standard, it said.

Officials denied that the policy had ever intentionally discriminated against HIV-positive people and noted that the policy had applied only to incoming diplomats, not those who had contracted the virus or other diseases while in the foreign service.

"We have a policy requiring that all foreign service officers be worldwide available as determined by a medical examination at the time of entry into the foreign service," said Gonzalo Gallegos, a State Department spokesman. "That has not changed."

The department's chief medical officer had "revised its medical clearance guidelines on HIV based on advances in HIV care and treatment and consultations with medical experts," Gallegos said. "The new clearance guidelines provide that HIV-positive individuals may be deemed worldwide available if certain medical conditions are met."

The decision was hailed by Lambda Legal, a New York-based group that advocates for the civil rights of homosexuals, bisexuals, transgender people and those with HIV and represented the plaintiff in the lawsuit against the State Department.

"The new guidelines mean that candidates for Foreign Service posts who have HIV will now be assessed on a case-by-case basis, as the law requires," said Bebe Anderson, the organization's HIV project director. "At long last, the State Department is taking down its sign that read, 'People with HIV need not apply.'"

The change in policy came less than two weeks before the trial in the lawsuit brought in 2003 by Lorenzo Taylor, a trilingual international affairs specialist who passed the difficult foreign service application process but was rejected after he told the department of his HIV status.

"Now people like me who apply to the Foreign Service will not have to go through what I did," Taylor said in a statement. "They and others with HIV will know that they do not have to surrender to stigma, ignorance, fear or the efforts of anyone, even the federal government, to impose second-class citizenship on them. They can fight back."

Lambda Legal said the suit had been settled "partly due to the new guidelines," but the State Department said the policy switch was not part of the settlement.

"The change simply reflects medical advances in the area of HIV care and maintenance," Gallegos said.

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.