Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:01:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 233
Total: 235

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: AMG and THE SUMMER OF LOVE......  (Read 10493 times)

Offline Robert

AMG and THE SUMMER OF LOVE......
« on: May 20, 2007, 01:05:18 am »
Forty years ago I went to City Park to a "Love-in" where a band called Jefferson Airplane was playing.  That same summer at a bar on S. Broadway somebody called The Doors was playing.  Chuck Berry was playing at The Sink in Boulder.  This was in Denver and as a summer job I was handing out towels at the Globeville Park public pool in N. Denver, just blocks away from the stockyards. (It could get pretty ripe at times.)

Anyway, that's what I was doing 40 years ago.  And in San Francisco it was the Summer of Love.  Big time in the Haight Ashbury.

For those of you going to AMG or thinking of going to AMG. I think you might enjoy reading this little bit of Recent San Francisco History and Popular Culture.

Offline Nadine

Re: AMG and THE SUMMER OF LOVE......
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 06:11:37 am »
I do plan on going to Haight Ashbury while in SF

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 10:20:58 am »
Oh lord Robert now what a delightful voyage you've started me on here!

Loved Jefferson Airplane when I was a kid, still do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g0MDjrl32M&mode=related&search=

"One pill makes you larger, one pill makes you small" 

Boy isn't that true with HAART!   ;D

RAB

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 11:30:55 am »
I do plan on going to Haight Ashbury while in SF

I want to get in to that Vapor Room!  For medicinal purposes, of course.

Hmpfh!  But fat chance my doc would give me a written recommendation for that one.

Phooey.

I'm still on for 710 Ashbury Street. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 11:38:34 am by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 03:46:13 pm »
If I come ---sticks tongue out at RAB :P--- I will be coming alone (unless I can work on some other UK-ers to accompany me), so I will require someone to take me under their wing and show me around. As a rule I don't do cities; they freak me a little. And as it will be only my second time in the US, well, the US freaks me a little too...!

Melia :)
(who doesn't really care for big busy places but is willing to overlook that to meet certain folk ;))
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline Blixer

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 09:27:39 pm »
Just thought I'd toss these in!

"If You're Going to San Francisco"  Mammas and the Pappas
http://youtube.com/watch?v=U2kT87EoHog

Another Version, a bit on the wilder side... flashes of nudity... so be warned...  Global DeeJays
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TB_3oqxzSms
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06
8/27/2007 CD4 598, 29%, VL 58 (72 wks)
11/19/2007 CD4 609, 30%, VL < 50 (84 wks)
2/11/2008 CD4 439, 27%, VL <50 (96 wks)
5/5/2008 CD4 535, 28%, VL <50 (108 wks)
10/20/2008 CD4 680, 28%, VL <50 (132 wks)
Changed to Atripla in 2012
1/14/2013 CD4 855, 35%, VL <40

Offline Dennis

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 09:56:33 pm »
Love the Global Deejays mix.  Heard for the first time on XM Radio and immediately thought of the gathering.

Offline Blixer

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 10:27:35 pm »
I searched out their CD after I heard it the first time 1 1/2 years ago.  I loved it.  The CD has about 5 versions, some in French.
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06
8/27/2007 CD4 598, 29%, VL 58 (72 wks)
11/19/2007 CD4 609, 30%, VL < 50 (84 wks)
2/11/2008 CD4 439, 27%, VL <50 (96 wks)
5/5/2008 CD4 535, 28%, VL <50 (108 wks)
10/20/2008 CD4 680, 28%, VL <50 (132 wks)
Changed to Atripla in 2012
1/14/2013 CD4 855, 35%, VL <40

Offline Robert

Re: AMG and THE SUMMER OF LOVE...... PART II
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 12:10:53 am »
Nadine.

I had you and little Luke in mind when I started this thread.  I don't know much but I do know Luke enjoys playing the guitar and something tells me it's not an air guitar. 

Anyway, here is PART II with quotes from a number of notables of the era.  One of my favorites is Wavy Gravy, a true Bay Area character.

robert
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 01:35:42 am by Robert »

Offline Robert

Re: AMG and THE SUMMER OF LOVE...... PART III
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 01:57:42 am »
Here is PART III of the SF Chronicle's Summer of Love 40 years ago.  Flower Children of the world unite.

And here is PART IV  Forty years later, the ripples from the Haight-Ashbury are still being felt in our culture. The Summer of Love had a profound and lasting impact on American life  -- in pop music, human relationships and sexuality, racial and ethnic diversity, a whole agenda of social thought. 

« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 02:05:05 am by Robert »

Offline Nadine

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 07:27:52 am »
Thanks Robert...I've really enjoyed the trip down memory lane.

:-*

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 02:21:11 pm »

I want to get in to that Vapor Room!  For medicinal purposes, of course.

***you need to be a California resident for that***
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 07:32:21 pm »
Robert, I haven't read all the links yet, but since 1967 was my first Summer, I am already packing my flowers and butterflies for this Summer.  I think we should all wear flowers one evening!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Robert

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 03:22:56 pm »
Hey Creighton:

Did you check out David's (Blixer) Global Dee Jay's mix of "If You're Going To San Francisco"?   I love it.  Of course I like the Mama's and the Papa's too. I think it's a great idea of putting flowers in our hair.  I have a pair of bell-bottm zodiac  pants.  They are every color of the rainbow with all the signs of the zodiak.  Of course they don't fit anymore.  A friend made them for me back in the day when I wore beads and sandals and I could just never, ever, make myself throw them away.

Will 'Mama" be coming with you?  I would love to see her.

robert 

Offline Basquo

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 06:37:09 pm »

Will 'Mama" be coming with you?  I would love to see her.

robert 

Hmmm...not so sure about that!  I guess prancing around SF in fat hippie drag would be one way to make sure I don't have a chance in hell of cheating on my boyfriend!! :o ;D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.