Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:32:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 338
Total: 340

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Third day on Atripla  (Read 4186 times)

Offline Seeking_the_one

Third day on Atripla
« on: January 10, 2014, 06:22:22 pm »
Hi there..

I was recently diagnosed with HIV (October) and have found this forum very helpful in understanding my circumstances, accepting myself and the situation and regaining my confidence.

I have just started on Atripla on the 7th of January 2014. The first night the nightmares were just horrible. Over the last two nights, not that they are getting any better, I have been sleeping better. I have a few questions.

1. I have been an alcoholic, enjoying my 6-pack of beer every night since last 14 years. And suddenly I have stopped drinking since the day I started on my meds. Could that possibly be making this worse? My liver function tests were fine, so do you think I could continue with my beer, though reducing it for sure!

2. I also smoke about 10 cigarettes a day. I know I must quit this for sure and have been trying hard to do so. In case I smoke these new electronic cigarettes, does it make any better for me?

3. I used to smoke weed regularly till about a few months back and am thinking about starting again, since I am not drinking! Is weed better than beer?

4. I have noticed three pimples on my face this morning. Does it have to do anything with Atripla?

I would appreciate any suggestions that you guys might have.

Thanks.

Offline MadisonTeddy

Re: Third day on Atripla
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 07:13:03 pm »
Good evening...I am on day 25...The first week is a little tough, but all of that will go away or at least it has for me...I have not been drinking on the Atripla, except the occasional glass of red wine, so no suggestion there. I don't smoke weed so can't help you there.I do smoke, and have not felt any change there, and I too have to quit that. One day at a time....Have not experienced any skin issues with pimples either. All in all, do all you can to help your body assimilate to the medicine and to keep on it without unnecessary interference from other substances would be my suggestion...Reach out to the amazing helpful people here and just stay with your program...Good luck!!

Offline Seeking_the_one

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 08:10:55 pm »
Thanks… I think the most difficult part of adjusting to the medical regimen is leaving all old habits and getting discipline in life. Something which is required anyways! But still trying to grasp a few fun things I can get away with!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 08:15:18 pm »
I once knew an old old very very old wise woman who said all things in moderation including moderation .

You might want to get used to the meds a few weeks and then try the moderation in moderation thing .

Welcome to the Forum !
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Seeking_the_one

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 08:19:06 pm »
Thanks Jeff,

I have been checking out this forum for over two weeks before I finally joined today. It has been a great source of information and, like I said before, has helped me gain my confidence in dealing with this situation. Hats off to you guys for this initiative!

Cheers!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 08:26:29 pm »
Thanks Jeff,

I have been checking out this forum for over two weeks before I finally joined today. It has been a great source of information and, like I said before, has helped me gain my confidence in dealing with this situation. Hats off to you guys for this initiative!

Cheers!

That's the beauty of this forum, every member here a something to offer as I'm sure you do and will too . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Reggie

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 12:49:37 am »
Thanks… I think the most difficult part of adjusting to the medical regimen is leaving all old habits and getting discipline in life. Something which is required anyways! But still trying to grasp a few fun things I can get away with!
I too am on my 60th day of atripla and side effects have improved from the early weeks. Yet to get my cd4 and VL since beginning but started only cd4 79 and over a million viral load.I've put back the 6/7 kilos of weight had lost in the past months before starting meds and feel much stronger and better but still wait nervously for my tests in 3 weeks. I also like my beer and have been having a few at night to relax, just think better to get a cleaner stats on health before having too many. Thanks for sharing

Reggie

Offline Jay007

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 06:17:16 am »
Hi Guys,
Been on Atripla 28 days, I was pretty scared about the side effects. The first week went well, week two and three not too well. The famous nightmares, itchiness (localised places) kicked in. By end of week three, the side effects disappeared. I must say 'am sleeping well, no trouble at all. I am hoping they don't re-appear.
I was so lucky to find this forum, there is so much helpful information. I found the forum two days before I started taking HIV meds.
Good luck to everyone!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 06:22:15 am »
Hi Jay and welcome to the forum . I'm happy to hear you have successfully adjusted to your treatment regimen . There is piece of mind knowing you are on the right track to kick the crap out of this virus with a good well tolerated combo .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jay007

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 07:12:21 am »
Thanks Jeff G,
This forum has been indeed a good source of information. Found out I was HIV in 1987 but never had the opportunity/access to any medication (long story).
My tests results before the meds a month ago were CD4 /420 & VL 120.000. After almost one month on Atripla am going for a follow-up tomorrow. Very curious about the results after almost one month on Atripla.

Cheers.

Offline Reggie

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 09:08:45 pm »

Hello

Good to see my treatment is working after 10 weeks on Atripla.my cd4 count jumped from 79 to 355, was wondering if anyone knows what can expect in future numbers? My VL which was over a million dropped to 450 , hope will be undetectable by next tests? Have been reading and looking for info on cd4%, when diagnosed was 14 but my first tests was 25. Still not sleeping as well as could but has been getting better, I'm wondering how much may be physiological and how much treatment on atripla may be effecting my sleep? Love to hear any experiences or info on the above. I'm still in a bit of a depressive mood at times but has gotten better, again not sure if this is due to physiologically or taking my meds or maybe both? Sharing with others in my situation may help I'm thinking.

Reggie

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.