Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:55:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 664
Total: 665

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The NYCDC Aids Ride for Research....what happened to me!  (Read 2190 times)

Offline sacinsc

The NYCDC Aids Ride for Research....what happened to me!
« on: September 16, 2008, 10:44:41 pm »
Well, as some of you know I decided to do the bike ride from NYC to DC to raise money for AIDS research. The ride started Friday in NYC and ended yesterday (Monday) here in DC. Got to tell you, I was afraid when I started. First I raised the money to do the ride. All the money is going to a researcher named Dr. Wu who has discovered how the virus attacks the T Cell. He is developing a new treatment that will stop the virus permanently from attacking our T Cells, it won't kill the virus but the virus will never be able to replicate. We will all still test positive, but it won't be able to attack our immune system anymore. Dr Wu and his research staff were part of the road crew for the ride. I really enjoyed talking with them and learning more. They are going to use the money we raised to begin working towards clinical trials in Africa. One of the researchers, who also biked, and I road with her through Cape May, NJ...she updated me on the research. I did the ride because I wanted to do something to help end this epidemic, but more on that later....here is what happened....

Day 1, We started in NYC at Pier 11. After watching a strange man in short overalls and tape over his mouth jump around wearing boxing gloves....we boarded a boat and went over to NJ.  From there we biked though the horse country. Along the way, it rained...a lot. I got wet....a lot. Saw some horses, a donkey, some white tail deer, and a llama. The llama looked at me like "What are you doing here" I looked at the llama like "What are you doing here?" Think my look made more since, llamas live in South America not NJ. Anyway, after 85 miles we camped...in the rain.

Day 2, We started out heading for Cape May. About 20 miles in my knees started giving out. They pulled me off the course, much to my protest and iced me. The sagged me ahead to the afternoon rest stop, where I started going again. It was hot, very hot and humid. We biked out to the lighthouse, where they forced me to ice up again. That night we camped out again. We hung out talking until what seemed like late in the night....about 9:30 pm. You bike all that way and 10 is like 4 in the morning. This was also Pirate Day. The road crew dressed as pirates and decorated their cars.

Day 3, We biked to the ferry that took us into Deleware. Along the way my knees gave out. They pulled me again (bastards) and took me to the rest stop. So I missed 15 miles. At the rest stop they iced me, and the awesome bike guy looked at my cleats and fixed them. Then he watched me ride. Turns out my seat was WAY TO F'ING low. He raised it nearly 4 inches...those of you who cycle know this is beyond a lot.....and viola I was biking liking a fiend. My knees were still damaged but I could bike with the best of em! It was hot as hell Sunday. And Delaware is full of nothing but wilted corn stalks and soybeans. Fun. We wound up near the Bay Bridge in Maryland. There we had a hotel room with an awesome shower! We had a great dinner and yeah I drank.... :)

Day 4, We biked down to the Bay Bridge Marina. We took a yacht over to Annapolis. We then biked into to DC. Amazing to bike into Washington to finish this 300 + mile trek.

In closing, I made friends that I will have for life. I met people who were biking in honor of people, people who like me have the virus, people who were just wanting to help others, and people who just care. We became a family for 4 days. I can not wait to do this again next year.

I can say now that I have done something to help end this virus' reign of terror. In the process, I learned a lot and found new people to love. I encourage you all to do something like this. If it isn't something physical like I did or supporting someone who is. If it is volunteering to help those less fortunate than you do it.

Nothing and I mean nothing has made me feel more valuable and rewarded as raising this money and following through with this ride. I did this for myself and for all of you. I am proud of myself and all those that did the ride with me. And the fact that I can now say I did something to end the epidemic means so much to me.
March 07 - Negative
May 07 - Exposed
June 07 - Seroconversion
September 07 - CD4 402 VL 118000 25%
October 07 -     CD4 294 VL 124000 22%
November 07 - Norvir, Triuvada and Reyataz
December 07 -  CD4 355 VL  550 .... guess the meds are working.
January 08 - CD4 446 VL <48 undetectable!
April 08 - CD4 554 VL <48 undetectable!
July 08 - CD4 666 VL <48 undetectable! Hporay...I have devil CD4's

Offline atlq

Re: The NYCDC Aids Ride for Research....what happened to me!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 10:46:49 pm »
Wow...what a great experience you must have had...congratulations and thanks!...
“Keep up the good work....   And God bless you.”
  --  Sarah Palin, to members of the Alaskan Independence Party, 2008

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 10:57:04 pm »
Saw some horses, a donkey, some white tail deer, and a llama. The llama looked at me like "What are you doing here" I looked at the llama like "What are you doing here?" Fundraising researchers have learned that with some riders early on, the Ace Ventura Syndrome can set in. Some shake it off within 24 hours, while others require therapy.

In all seriousness, thanks for posting the story and for choosing to support research which might benefit all of us. 

Offline bear60

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 08:53:10 am »
Good for  you! and....thanks. I wish I could do what you did.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 09:02:57 am »
Wow, what a inspiring treat to read this morning. What personal growth you've shown from your first shaky days at AIDSMEDS. Inspiration for us all! No bells, no whistles, just activism at it's best.

Good on ya!
Hal

edited for typo
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 09:37:19 am by Dachshund »

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 10:44:09 am »
Yeah Buddy!

At first glance I thought you were fed "nothing but corn and soybeans.." and then I thought poor Matt, they are starving him....(knowing your love of vegetables and all...anyways)

I am so proud of you! It is so good to see you so up-beat and inspired.

Go Matt Go!

Sharkie

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 12:08:15 pm »
Matt, what a great story to read.  You've come a long way.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.