Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:19:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 612
Total: 613

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Was This the Worst Decade Ever?  (Read 4721 times)

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Was This the Worst Decade Ever?
« on: December 21, 2009, 07:26:28 pm »
http://www.sphere.com/the-point/article/rate-the-00s-worst-decade-ever/19289185

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1942834,00.html

Good Riddance 2000's, this was the Decade form HELL, the worst I've ever experienced (I'm 53)
Good-bye you fucking Decade form HELL, you won't be missed :-X

Personally, the last 2 Decades were the worst ever, for me 1990 to 2009 to be exact  :-[
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 07:41:24 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline AndyArrow

Re: Was This the Worst Decade Ever?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 07:44:08 pm »
2010 can't get here fast enough!
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline denb45

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 07:52:21 pm »
2010 can't get here fast enough!

Yes, I do hope it's a New Beginning  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Texan38

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 08:21:36 pm »
Worst decade ever? Mmm, I wouldn't say that but GOD I'm glad this year is over! 2010 can only get better...it just has to!
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 08:57:07 pm »
This was the worst decade ever? Really?

How about the 1340s when half of Europe's population dies of the Black Death? We had been in the Dark Ages for hundreds of years and people lived in horrible conditions.

How about the 1940s? Remember a little thing called World War II? An estimated 40-70 million people died. The atomic bomb was unleashed.

The Great Depression of the 1930s made our current financial situation look peachy. Ask my father if he would rather the country go back to that decade.

To even suggest that this was the worst decade of this generation, much less "ever", shows how ignorant and pampered some people are.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 09:07:44 pm »

How about the 1340s when half of Europe's population dies of the Black Death? We had been in the Dark Ages for hundreds of years and people lived in horrible conditions.

How about the 1940s? Remember a little thing called World War II? An estimated 40-70 million people died. The atomic bomb was unleashed.

The Great Depression of the 1930s made our current financial situation look peachy. Ask my father if he would rather the country go back to that decade.

To even suggest that this was the worst decade of this generation, much less "ever", shows how ignorant and pampered some people are.

Hey Ford,

8 Years of George W. Bush.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline denb45

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 09:14:59 pm »

Well, I didn't write the article, and that doesn't mean I agree with it, I can only draw on my own life experiences, and the last 20 yrs of my life ,and how it's gone, with the deaths of a lot of loved ones, and, having Full-Blown-Aids, losing my career, life, and a lot of financial loss,  because of this , now living way below the Federal Poverty-Line is now my reality after 20 yrs. the good news in all of this, that has happened to me, is 'I'm still alive" to see it good or bad..... ;)

Offline tokyodecadence

• A one room disco.
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 09:50:15 pm »

That turns me on.
[.Fodão.]

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 10:18:55 pm »
Worst decade ever, music-wise.  Other than that I can't agree.

Now, 2009?  Worst effin year in a long while.  Glad it's almost ovah.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 10:26:53 pm »
it could be the dumbest decade ever. last time I did the math jan1, 2000 to dec 31, 2009 was 10 full years aka a decade  ::)
After a decade marked by discord, people can't even agree on when it's over. One camp says it's the end of this year. The other insists it's not until Dec. 31, 2010. If that's true, it could mean another year like the ones we've just lived through.

Hey, GSOgymrat, the second article actually took your considerations in, although I don't believe they didn't go all the way and actually limit their evaluation to the "modern era"
the first 10 years of this century will very likely go down as the most dispiriting and disillusioning decade Americans have lived through in the post–World War II era.

This decade was as awful as any peacetime decade in the nation's entire history.

after reading the articles and thinking about my own life this decade, and previous decades, I could only think of the beginning quote from Charles Dickens's "A Tale of Two Cities", which was written 150 yrs ago about a time of history 220 years ago:

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 11:36:27 pm »
http://www.sphere.com/the-point/article/rate-the-00s-worst-decade-ever/19289185

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1942834,00.html

Good Riddance 2000's, this was the Decade form HELL, the worst I've ever experienced (I'm 53)
Good-bye you fucking Decade form HELL, you won't be missed :-X

Personally, the last 2 Decades were the worst ever, for me 1990 to 2009 to be exact  :-[
All I know is that Nell Carter died in 2003 and life has never been the same...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 12:10:32 am »
I'm not referring to individuals, I'm referring to the claim of the article that this was "the worst decade ever." Personally my worst decade were the 1980s and I would think for LTS the 80s would be worst because that's when our peers were dying left and right. AIDS=death back then and "manageable condition" was not in the vocabulary. Not to mention my parents divorced, I was gay in a redneck high school, I went to a college I didn't like... all kinds of crap that applied to me and no one else.

As the Time article acknowledges the bad decade applies primarily to the United States. Overall I suspect more people on the planet have it better on average now than 10 years ago-- I could be wrong about that but there are a lot of people living in Asia.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 12:52:10 am »

Have you ever seen those war documentaries?  Not only did 40-70 million people die, but they also had to endure living in a world with no color.....  everything was in black and white. :D
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 01:05:00 am »

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I read the article a few weeks ago while at the gym. I can't stand to be on the treadmill without doing anything else, I subscribe to TIME just to pass time.

The article does make a good points that a lot of bad things happened, like 9/11, Katrina, the asian tsunamis, 2 recessions. Those were bad things for sure. And there is little question the last decade was worse than the 90s. But when you put in perspective, there have been far worse times before - even if we haven't all lived them personally.

Offline tokyodecadence

• A one room disco.
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 05:53:59 am »
Have you ever seen those war documentaries?  Not only did 40-70 million people die, but they also had to endure living in a world with no color.....  everything was in black and white. :D

lawl.
[.Fodão.]

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 07:22:41 am »
Hmm. The worst decade personally lived, or the worst decade in history?

Well for personally lived - I've never had a bad run for more than a few years so no decade can qualify as a disaster.  High points and low points in each. I'd say the same for humanity in general.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline bear60

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 11:02:27 am »
Remember the Y2K bug?
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline carousel

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 11:18:39 am »
I think it started going bad around the time of Liza's wedding to David and went downhill from there.

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 12:11:54 pm »
Remember the Y2K bug?

It's fun to look back on apocalyptic predictions that never happened. There always seems to be a segment of the population who is convinced the world is going to end. Here is A Brief History of the Apocalypse: http://www.abhota.info/end1.htm

I'm sure in 2013 we will be adding 2012 to the list of failed prophesies.

Offline fearless

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 06:13:44 pm »
but did the Y2K catastrophy not happen because it was never going to happen, or because of the billions spent around the globe ensuring it was not a catastrophy?

2012 being the end of the world is a western construct anyway. the mayan calendar may end in 2012, or thereabouts, but the Mayans didn't necessarily believe it to be the end of the world. makes good cinema though.

worst decade ever though - well, the article only makes that claim for the US. There was no 9/11, Katrina or global financial crisis in Aus
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline elf

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 09:35:45 pm »
I really liked 1990ies, and I hate(d) 2000ies  :-[

Offline Jody

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 10:22:42 pm »
Hi denb...You certainly have had so many of life's most difficult issues affecting you, regarding your living with AIDS and struggling financially, loved ones mortalities and other stuff life throws at us, all at once or a little at a time.  Here's hoping for this next decade to bring real hope back, optimism is tough to muster sometimes. Life does seem to have so many uncertainties now, with so much still spent on weapons world wide instead of the health and well-being of it's inhabitants, job training, college scholarships, hospitals, and on and on.  I guess no one heard "Where Have all the Flowers Gone" or they heard but didn't listen or didn't care.

Hoping 2010 brings good things to you all the way around.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.