Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:15:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 476
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 332
Total: 332

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Scared that I might be reinfected  (Read 6417 times)

Offline barbch2

Scared that I might be reinfected
« on: December 28, 2010, 06:10:04 am »
I was having sex with somebody who was poz as am I, and the condom broke almost 10 seconds into him putting it in, I told him to get out and he did, I am really scared that I might be reinfected. If i am, does this mean that I am going to die faster, or my medication wont work anymore, or will any meds work at all. i am so scared. Somebody help me.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Scared that I might be reinfected
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 06:36:13 am »
Barach,

I've moved your thread into the I Just Tested Poz forum as the Am I Infected forum is only for those people who are hiv negative or questioning their hiv status.

You are highly unlikely to end up reinfected over this brief incident. And even if you do end up reinfected from it (again, highly unlikely) it will not necessarily mean any of the things you're worrying about. There will be meds that will work.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline barbch2

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 06:41:57 am »
Thank you so much Ann, I looked for precum, but I literally had to squeez his euretha to get it out, and he was not even fully erect. I am really new to this hiv thing, and it is doing a number on me mentally,

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 06:46:20 am »
OK, to elaborate further, there are several reasons why you are unlikely to end up reinfected over this.

For a start, there have only been a very few documented cases of this happening. It's rare.

For another thing, you are on meds and those meds will help protect you. In the cases where reinfection occurred they were new infections - but not necessarily new diagnoses . As you are already on meds, the likelihood is that you are not dealing with a new (less than six months) infection.

And last but not least, you say this was a protected receptive (for you) incident where the condom broke almost at the beginning. It doesn't sound as though he came and that is a big plus in your favour. Put it this way, if you were hiv negative I would not expect you to end up positive over this situation.

Relax, you're going to be ok.

Ann

edited to correct a grammatical error that was driving me bonkers
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 08:08:14 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline barbch2

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 06:49:51 am »
It has been less than six months for me. I was diagnosed in july, and only been on meds for 2 months.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 06:55:51 am »
I just realised that I omitted some information when I talked about new infections. To the best of my knowledge, the people who became reinfected were not on any hiv meds. As I mentioned, the hiv meds will help protect you.

And again, let me stress how rare reinfection is in the real world. It seems to me that some doctors like to use it as a boogie-man because they don't really like to think of poz people having sex lives. This reinfection boogie-man is also used to discourage barebacking amongst pozzies.

The main thing you need to worry about in either the case of a condom break or outright barebacking is the OTHER STIs. You don't need syphilis, gonorrhoea or any of the other more easily transmitted infections on top of your hiv. Some infections, like syphilis, can be more difficult to treat when you also have hiv.

You can use this site's search engine to find the plethora of previous threads on the subject of reinfection or "superinfection" as it is also called. (that's super as in superimposed, not super-dooper)

I really don't think you have anything to worry about with this brief broken-condom incident.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline barbch2

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 07:00:05 am »
Ann, I dont know who you are, or where you are, but you are an Angel sent from God himself. I have not been able to sleep for days thinking about this. I actually feel a sense of relief and I think I am going to head to bed. Thank you from the bottom of my heart Ann.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 07:21:03 am »
I really have nothing salient to add to Ann's spot-on reply except to fully second it (for whatever that's worth). Your other post and this one makes me think that you are really struggling with this new status. Have you thought about counseling?

HIV, until it is cured, is going to be with you for the rest of your long life. And the sooner you can throttle that fear, the sooner you can find - and enjoy - the happiness (sex, friends, self esteem, etc) that you truly and richly deserve.

You have found a remarkable site with a whole lot of accurate information. I suggest you take it in at a pace comfortable to you, and forgive yourself for not knowing everything all at once. It's a marathon, not a sprint, they say.

Regardless, you are among friends, and things are going to be okay. again, welcome to the forums :)

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 07:36:43 am »
You're welcome, Barb. Relax and get some rest.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 08:32:36 am »
I knew there was something else I wanted to mention....

A correctly used (and stored*) condom rarely breaks. The two main reasons for condom breakage are:

1) Not using any or enough lube (especially for anal) and/or not using water-based lube with latex condoms. You must always use water-based lube with latex condoms and you really do need to use lube for anal.

2) Not making sure there is no air bubble at the tip of the condom once it's on. The tip of the condom should be pinched between the fore-finger and thumb while putting it on and rolling it down in order to expel any air. Once it's on, stroking along the length of the condom from head to base will pull it snug against the head and help you to see if there is an air-bubble trapped in the top.

*Condoms should be stored away from heat and this includes body heat. Unless it's only going to be there for a few hours, your wallet is the worst place to carry condoms if you keep it in your ass pocket. Heat degrades latex (as does oil) so if your condoms are subjected to much heat, you might end up with a broken one. Also, do not store condoms in your car. The extremes of hot and cold that you get through the seasons will do a number on the thin latex.

Read through the condom and lube links in my signature line to learn more.

edited for clarity
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 08:37:19 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.