Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 07:16:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 157
Total: 158

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Nurse...Disclosure?  (Read 4375 times)

Offline twz90s

Nurse...Disclosure?
« on: May 12, 2011, 01:50:11 am »
Hey everyone.

I am in a bit of a bind.  I am HIV+ and a Nurse.

I have just received an amazing written job offer at one of the top hospitals in the country...so far so good.

However, one paragraph in the offer letter really bothered me considering my status:

"In addition, in the interest of patient and staff safety, we require that you make an appointment with Workplace Health and Safety via an intranet computer.  Do this within (3) working days of commencement to make an appointment to have a baseline health assessment."

I live in Canada and am pretty sure that I do not have a legal obligation to notify my employer or answer questions regarding that.  I have thought about getting legal advice from the Human Rights Tribunal and the local HIV Resource Centre.

Anyone able to ring in about this? I'm a little paniced and apprehensive about this "baseline health assessment"  :-\
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 02:19:59 am by twz90s »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Nurse...Disclosure?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 03:18:03 am »
Hey everyone.

I am in a bit of a bind.  I am HIV+ and a Nurse.

I have just received an amazing written job offer at one of the top hospitals in the country...so far so good.

However, one paragraph in the offer letter really bothered me considering my status:

"In addition, in the interest of patient and staff safety, we require that you make an appointment with Workplace Health and Safety via an intranet computer.  Do this within (3) working days of commencement to make an appointment to have a baseline health assessment."

I live in Canada and am pretty sure that I do not have a legal obligation to notify my employer or answer questions regarding that.  I have thought about getting legal advice from the Human Rights Tribunal and the local HIV Resource Centre.

Anyone able to ring in about this? I'm a little paniced and apprehensive about this "baseline health assessment"  :-\

The Nurses Union? Seems like they'd be the first port of call. Possibly a peak HIV advocacy organisation.

I would be very surprised if you'd be compelled to disclose your HIV status. Especially in Canada.

MtD

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 04:14:09 am »
Get information.

In Wwitzerland for certain jobs you must sign a sort of "I am fit to work and don't have alcoholism, drug addiction nor chronic diseases" clause.   I asked my ID and he said everyone who is HIV pretty much checks the chronic disease box.  What happens is this. The form goes to a state medical DOCTOR, who contacts the treating doctor to get the story.  The state medical doctor then judges, or not, if the person is fit to work.  The state doctor NEVER tells the company the applicants medical secrets.   In Switzerland the state doctors consider HIV+ fit to work like anyone else if there are no big problems.  LIke any other "chronic" disease.

Maybe it works that way in Canada.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline jb1973

• To thine ownself be true
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 06:41:27 am »
In the US, at the hospital where I work, we have something similiar.  All new employees report to work health for a health screening.  I havent been a "new" employee for somet ime, but, I just think it is an overall assessment of your ability to perform your job.  If I remember correctly, it was mostly silly "simple" exercises that need to be performed to assess body mechanics?  I can't imagine them even being permitted to ask about your HIV status.  Good luck with the job!
??Infected - 08-09??
3/3/11-tested POZ
3/18/11 - CD4-534 VL-6,600
6/24/11 - CD4-642 VL-10,800
10/11 - CD4-580 33% VL-9,900
1/12 - CD4-602 ?% VL-9,700
3/12 - CD4-552 27% VL=10,684
8/12 - cd4-550 24% VL=9.865
Started Isentress/Truvada
10/12- CD4-613 31% VL=UD

Offline karry

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 06:45:46 am »
Hi,
I also live in Canada and faced a similar issue a year ago when I applied for a job and they contacted me for a baseline medical examination. I contacted an organisation(COQ SIDA) and they helped me understand my legal rights. When I went for the exam finally, there was no mention about HIV/ AIDS in the questionaire.

Goodluck!
K.
Take it a day at a time....and be positive about it too!

Offline littleprince

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 07:13:29 am »
I don't work in the medical field but my assessment consisted of drug testing and checking if I had any existing problems like bad back, knees ect. I gave a urine sample and proved that I could touch my toes and that was pretty much it.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 11:30:03 am »
In the U.S.  You do not need to disclose your HIV status to your employer and it is against the law for them to discriminate against you if they find out you have it.  It is covered under the ADA.  Remember the film Philadelphia? Im sure its the same in the 51st state of Canada. Good luck.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 07:05:06 pm »
Hi there

The guys are right you don't have to disclose your HIV status.

I know a couple of  nurses that are HIV+ and work on the wards, one chose to disclose, the other didn't but both are doing fine and doing a good job, the only place they are not able to work is in Theater, for obvious reasons.

Don't stress out about this.

Aroha
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 07:24:35 pm »
When I worked for a large hospital system, I had to undergo a pre-employment physical prior to starting work - the biggest reason was that they wanted to establish baseline and ensure that I did not have anything that could be transmitted to patients (i.e. TB and the like).  Working in a hospital environment they wanted to be extremely careful in regards to employee wellness and safety of patients. 

While the medical clinic that did the physical did not ask about my HIV status, I voluntarily disclosed it for a couple of reasons: 1) they wanted me to get an updated measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine - however, my ID doc said that it would be contraindicated and she would not advise that someone with HIV get the vaccine; b) I am on Atripla - which can cause a false positive for THC (marijuana) unless a more sensitive test is done - my doc provided a letter saying that I was on a medication that could cause a false positive.  I thought it was just easier to disclose knowing that I was protected under the ADA.

When I went to my new employer, I was also required to answer a questionnaire and one of the questions was whether I had any type of disability that was covered by ADA - once again, I choose to disclose.  The place I work for has a clear policy which prohibits discrimination based on HIV status (and once again it is covered by ADA).  My supervisor knows my status and I remember she even wondered if I should put it on the questionnaire - as she said "well, you don't seem to be disabled." - But, I didn't want it to come back on me anytime down the line.  I have found - and it is solely my experience, others may have different experiences - that telling my employer my status has actually given them a better understanding.  Particularly, when I have to go to the doc every three months and for labs every three months.  They also are more understanding with me when I am feeling "under the weather" and realize the importance of me ensuring that I don't let what might otherwise be a simple cold to others get out of control with me because of my status.

In the end, it is an individual decision on whether to disclose or not - only the person in the situation has the best read on all of the factors that impact on whether to disclose or not.  I think the feedback you are getting here is valuable and should help assist you in this process.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 07:42:59 pm »
I also found this information helpful. 

Thanks everyone!
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline twz90s

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 08:49:46 pm »
I'd like to really thank each and everyone one of you for your support and calming my nerves.  Not much gets to me, but I guess once-in-a-while we're always reminded about the burden we carry.

Thanks again!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.