Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:39:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 665
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 624
Total: 624

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The new normal  (Read 6050 times)

Offline Handydan

• Since 1994
The new normal
« on: August 07, 2014, 11:35:56 pm »
I had treatment for anal cancer 3 years ago and I continue to be cancer free today. However, my bowls have never completely healed, and I am starting to settle into the idea that this is the way it's going to be. I have little control when I need to go, so I need to be near a bathroom almost always. This happens between 4 and 8 times a day and occasionally I bleed some. Many days I take ibuprofen or naproxen sodium for the pain and it doesn't keep me from doing the things I want to do, in fact I need more to do. I used to complain to my oncologist about how long my healing is going to take, but now I realize that with the treatment I received, this is probably my new normal. We recently moved back to the states and I want to work, but I am not sure I'm ready for full time and and finding work that won't leave me away from a toilet too long is not easy. My normal line of work is carpenter, electrical, and plumbing etc. I'm very lucky to not have to work to get along because my hubby makes a good living and he doesn't want me work or do anything unless I will enjoy it.

I love being a house husband but it's not enough. I have a spotless house, and hobbies but they are not enough. Also, I'd like to contribute to our financial life more.

So, I'm looking for a small startup company idea that I would be able to run from home or even the bathroom. I need something that allows me to work with my hands and make or fix something, and that I can work at as much or as little as I am able. Any ideas or suggestions?
I'm still here!

Offline weasel

Re: The new normal
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 09:01:17 am »

Hi HandyDan  :) 

I hope you healing up , have you talked to your I.D. Doctor
     about taking something like Lopaprimide  < sp > 

It's the only way I am able to have a somewhat normal  bowel .

Also I have been taken off Reyataz  , Possibly a MED change could help ?

On the job idea ,   I worked in Cabinet Shops in Las Vegas , NV. for years .
     I was always able to have my work bench  close to the Toilet room !

It really made working easier knowing a 6 foot dash to the tiolet was available , my boss just thought  I spent too much time on some days , but it worked well for many years  ;)

I hope you find  a job you like  , I loved working construction . If I ever
   finish our new home I would love to try and get a cabinet job , shop work only , I do not care to deal with customers anymore  :o

Be well ,  Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 04:01:43 pm »
It very well may be your new "normal", Dan.   My partner went through a similar experience in 2007.   I can tell you from experience, that even though it SEEMS like it never will, it will eventually get (some) better.

Normal?  Not really in our vocabulary much, as LTSers.  Normal is a setting on the dryer, that's about it!

Hope you can find some satisfying work, that brings in extra $$$ and allows you to be near the john.  I have one a few yards from my office, and I don't think I could work here part-time if I did not have it.

Best regards, Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 11:34:27 pm »
Hey Dan,

I don't know where you are living, but here we have a government office called the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation.

It doesn't seem carpentry, etc., would be a good fit for your "new normal."

So, maybe an agency like the DVR might be able to steer toward something you would enjoy and make the accommodations necessary for you.

It may be worth a shot.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Handydan

• Since 1994
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 02:43:53 am »
Thanks Alan and Mark. I hadn't thought about DVR. I'll have to look into it here in Illinois. Thanks for the suggestion!

Danny
I'm still here!

Offline LongTimeSurvivor

• I don'no...there may be Zombears...in theres...
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 07:22:22 pm »
You didn't mention what the pain is from...the act or the clean up. For me it's both but found that using baby wipes, in my case Lansinoh, helps immensely when it comes to wiping. Using toilet paper was like using sand paper, the big grain type, but the baby wipe I use is soothing because it's alcohol free and moist (really almost wet) and doesn't irritate.

Hope this might help with the pain...should it match what I deal with on a daily basis.
Of course it's important. It's an email...

Offline Handydan

• Since 1994
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 02:31:01 am »
It's painful when going, wiping, and then aches after. I also have learned to use wipes instead of TP, but I go so frequently, as much as 8 times a day, that it just gets abused. And, not in a good way. I am now going through a good stretch the last week, not much pain or bleeding and not going so often. However, this seems to go in phases that are all over the map. It does seem to get better when I'm busy doing things I enjoy.

Overall, this has been my only major problem since seroconversion some 20 years back. All in all, I feel very lucky.
I'm still here!

Offline deibster

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 08:20:29 pm »
Hi Dan,
I really feel for you. The 1st time I had a rectal Pap smear it was abnormal. The 1st time they did a biopsy, I bled for 6 weeks. Now I get an exam twice a year and the doc cauterizes a surface area in my rectum, before it gets to the point of needing to be biopsied.

Do you have room for a small wood shop where you live? Have you considered making wooden key chains, or toys, cars, planes to sell at holiday time? I look on Etsy,
www.etsy.com for ideas of what sells. You can also sell your wares on that website.
Big hugs from Provincetown, Deiby
Poz since Dec 1992. Meds since 1995. Disability since 2005. Constantly fighting the Lipodystrophy 'beer gut.'

Prezista/Norvir, Epzicom, Cytomel, Prevacid, Coumadin, pravastatin, Fenofibrate, Remeron, Zoloft, Concerta, Flomax, Allegra180, Nasacort, Centrum, Flax Oil, Fish Oil

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 06:20:22 am »
HI,

Understand 100 % what you mean about having to adapt to a new normal after 2 bouts off Chemo for Hodgkin Lymphoma.

With your skill set you are well set to be a self employed Handy person , which I desperately need so contact me if you and Hubby plan to visit London.

Back to you -having spent many months on the Ward got to meet a couple of folk with Anal Cancer. this will not surprise you as you will know the rates are statistically higher for those off us with HIV. All off them had to deal with the problem off trying to heal some where that got a lot off use there by making healing very very slow.

All the medics are trained to "keep the Patient,s Hope high" and in my viewset up unrealistic expectations in that process , that has been my experience with the problems I have had through 2 lots off aggressive chemo.

However here we are discussing these problems and that's the bit I try to hang on to.

All the Best
mhtv
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline guitargal

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 02:45:57 pm »
the voc rehab sounds good. I did it in my state and I went back to school for a few terms..they were able to help with books and some of the course costs.

accepting the new normal is hard..I have not worked in 4 years and the depression gets to me.

Last year I made evergreen wreaths and sold some on ebay. The only problem with that is the mess and having to get them packed and mailed in crappy weather..also the hand work is painful…I may do a few again this year..but I now know my limits now.

I also tried to start a sewing business. alterations, teaching people how to use their machines and sewing machine repair/cleaning. only a few calls and gave up on that. Then I started to make bath mitts and back washers from terry cloth, and quilted pot holders.
no sales on line and none at the craft show where i rented a table..ugh..I did have lots of christmas gifts to give that year!

I became discouraged..

I too am trying to come up with some kind of side work.

good luck to you!
What a long strange trip it's been

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.