Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:38:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 324
Total: 326

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Need a poz friend  (Read 10789 times)

Offline hmb4him

• I love to throw staplers!
Need a poz friend
« on: August 07, 2006, 12:24:40 am »
I've been poz for almost 14 years and I have never really sought a support group.  My heart is pounding just writing this.  I don't know why I didn't, maybe that would make it too real.  My husband obviously knows and my parents and siblings know, but none of the rest of my family does.  My grandpa died 2 months ago not knowing.  A lot of my friends know and are very supportive of me.  But they really don't understand.  They call and ask how I am and I say, "I'm really tired today" and they so "Oh, me too!"  But what I mean is "I'm so tired my kids are going to make their own PB&Js today because I can barely get off the couch to pee!" 

Anyway, I just need someone that I can talk to when crazy things are happening to me.  I've never even posted on a board before, so I don't know if this is the right place or what!   Anyone else out there who just needs a friend that is positive that you can relate to?
Hannah

"I love golf.  I hit the ball as hard as I can, walk 6 feet, and hit it again!" --Greg Hahn

Offline Sdgirl

Re: Need a poz friend
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 12:28:26 am »
What part of the country are you in?
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves.."Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?  Actually, who are you not to be?"

Offline hmb4him

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 12:40:21 am »
I live in Missouri.  I know there are support groups available, but I don't really want to do a group thing.  Maybe too personal?  It seems like when I try to talk about dying, everyone freaks out.  My family, I can't talk to them at all.  Especially my dad.  He only once in a great while makes any reference to my health.
Hannah

"I love golf.  I hit the ball as hard as I can, walk 6 feet, and hit it again!" --Greg Hahn

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 12:40:52 am »
You have come to the right place...welcome.

Hal

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 02:37:23 am »
If postive friends are what you seek.... My lady, you have found them in abundance here at the forum.
Welcome to the family and RELAX...  Most of us don't bite.  :P   We are rather chatty sometimes however.
{{{{ BIG HUG }}} :)
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 02:44:28 am »

hmb,

Welcome to the forums.  We're here for you whatever you need.  I don't live in MO, but I know some members do.  Nonetheless, we all LOVE you :)

take care,
brian

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 06:52:35 am »
Let me add my welcome here. These boards are pretty incredible. I'm very glad you've found this place. Whatever craziness or un-craziness you're going through, we're here to listen, and to help if we can.

Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 06:57:36 am »
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 01:39:54 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 08:03:22 am »
Hi HMB4HIM!  Curious name for sure ???

Missouri eh? What part? My lady and I live here in Kansas City.  Ya got friends now gerfriend!

It is amazing how our circle of friends change.  I was diagnosed over a year ago, and being a coach for most of my kid's lives, the friends(?) that were so buddy buddy to me now look at me like I am about to eat their kid.  I guess we find out who the real ones are.

There is a program out there called LIFE (Learning Immune Function Enhancement).  It is a 17 week group meeting that I highly recommend.  Not only will it change your outlook on HIV, it is also a wonderful support mechanism.

Welcome again and I am sure Trish will chime in here when she wakes up! ;D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 08:06:38 am by kcmetroman »

Offline purpledragonfly

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 08:50:43 am »
Hello and Welcome to the forums. You found a great place here, i have been here since this last spring and i love this place. These people are my family and they will become yours too, if you let them. If you need advice or just a place to rant and rave you found it.
I too didn't want to go to support groups, i have been poz for 18 yrs. I have never gone to a support group, but now i am getting ready to start one up in my town. It is funny how things change in ones life. Now i can't wait to get startted and 2 yrs. ago i wouldn't go at all.
Well if you wanted friends you found them. If you ever want to talk just pm me i will talk your ear off lol.
Again welcome to the family and now sit back and relax and enjoy your new family.

Love Wendy

Offline Teresa

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 09:11:29 am »
Hello and WELCOME!

Glad you found us. There are a great bunch of people here.

We will all be here for ya so you are never alone.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Trish

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 09:33:32 am »
Hello HMB, and welcome aboard.

I'm awake now...

You've come to the right place.  We're all positive here, we understand and you're definitely not alone.

Like you, I have supportive family & friends, but they really don't understand what it's like living with HIV.  Whenever there were family functions or we got together for holidays, I always felt alone even with all these people around me.  I never felt like I fit in.  I found that I had to find other pos people so I felt that I belonged somewhere.  Coming to this site was the best thing I ever did for myself.  There are many wonderful people here who are knowledgeable, caring & extremely supportive.  So, you have hit on something fantastic here, and you should take advantage of it.  I'd like to get to know you better and I hope you stick around with us cause you'll make some great friends.

A little bit about me... I'm 42 years old and have been HIV-positive since Nov. 1989.  My husband died of AIDS in Oct. 1989, and I tested after burying him.  No children.  I'm originally from Brooklyn, NY and moved to KC, Missouri about 5 months ago to be with John (KCmetroman)... that's right, we met here on these forums and well, the rest is history. 

As John mentioned, the LIFE program is a well worth giving a shot.  We made friends while attending and it's a great support system.  If you'd like more info, just let us know and we'll pass it on to you.  What part of Missouri are you in?  Perhaps one day we could meet and shoot the breeze.

Welcome again, and I look forward to hearing more about you.  If there is anything you need, just ask... we're all here to help you through your days.

All the best,

Trish
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 09:57:26 am »
Greetings hmb4him,
welcome aboard, have you talked with your doctor about your tiredness? Do you have access to a nutritionist or dietitian? When you get your next results have your doctor go over it with you so you clearly understand what it means and bring up this problem of fatigue. Do you have any sort of depression as well?
Ask if there is some medication causing it, what options do you have , what changes can be made, etc. Keep asking and keep posting.
Tiredness can be caused by many different things including side effects of your meds. Most docs want only to spend a minute amount of time with patients so have your questions ready.

If the doc doesn't know or gives you an answer you aren't satisfied with, ask if you can see someone like a nutritionist.  Do you keep a record of your past results?
You can get a lot of insight from the different forums here, just remember since your body is very different from everyone else you should talk with your doctors about adding supplements to your diet.
It might me also a woman's problem in which case the ladies ( and don't mean the diva's) can help you
Knowledge is empowerment
Cheers
Johnny
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 10:37:20 am by alisenjafi »
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline Brian360

• Just livin' it up until the sun goes down.
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 10:32:24 am »
Amen brother, I'm in the same crappy situation.  I moved back to Washington to reconnect with family. Plus after loosing a well paying job, couldn't find another one I settled in a major depression. Lay infront of the TV all day and most of the night for nearly a year. Ran out of unemployent.  I choose my friends carefully but they started dragging me into crystal meth. so while I was laying around I never had anyone to talk, ok but anyways.   

I live in a Redneck town of 2500, population hasn't changed much since attending high school here in 1988.  Portland, Or is the biggest city around but it's nearly 50 miles away.  With todays gas prices who wants to make that trip two or three times a week.  One of these days I'll feel I would feel well enuf to make a move closer to PDX.  Because I HATE living with my mother again.

Good luck Man, I just thought I would share the fact that there's someone out there like you!
July06: Tcells 0, VL >+750,000
Aug06: TCells 22, VL 214,000
Sep06: TCells 32, VL 34,500
Oct06: TCells 92, VL 9,560
Dec06: Tcells 27, VL 25,000
Jan07: Tcells 43, VL - un-detect
Jan10: TCells 111 - popped to 160 fall 09, VL  undectable since Oct. 07

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 10:36:29 am »
hello, to you in missouri, from me in the uk  :)

Kate

Offline hmb4him

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 10:37:03 am »
Wow, thanks so much for all the love guys!  What a great thing to have people who know what I'm going through!  

Trish and KCmetroman, I live in Springfield area, but I am originally from Lansing Ks.  When my friends from there found out I was  poz, they kept "losing my phone number".  I have found friends here who accept and love me!  I am almost 33 (Friday) and I have a wonderful husband who is negative and 2 amazing children, who are also negative.  My son is 8.5 and my daughter is 5.5 (starting kindergarten soon).  Right now I am not working, but I have to go back when the kids start school because my  husbands job doesn't offer insurance!  

I believe the tiredness I was experiencing was from Sustiva, because about 24 hours after I quit taking it, I felt so much better!  I also started exercising, so that has helped tremendously.  

It feels so good to know that I am no longer alone.  I appreciate you all for sharing your most intimate secrets!

Thanks!
hannah
Hannah

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 10:42:03 am »
Hi Hannah, I too am on Sustiva and Truvada,  you might want to look at this ;
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=1988.0
But make sure you aren't allergic to bees!
Cheers
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline Trish

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2006, 10:50:50 am »
Hannah,

There is a LIFE program in Springfield.  However, the class started for the fall already.  As a matter of fact, one of the members here "richinsm" lives in Springfield also, and he is attending this class.  Maybe when the next one starts up you'd like to give it a whirl.  Just let me know if you're interested and I'll send you the info.

Good luck to you in finding work.  It's unfortunate, but you'll really need the insurance to cover you.  But you already know that.  All the best...

Trish
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Christine

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2006, 10:58:34 am »
Hi Hannah,
Welcome! I am glad you found the forums. There are wonderful, supportive people here who want to help. I understand tired....Has the doctor ruled out any underlying condition for your tiredness, or is it just the good old hiv tired?

I have been married for 12 years, found out I was pos in '93. Some of my family, and a few close friends know about it. They are supportive, but don't completely understand the tiredness, or the running to the bathroom, or the side effects of some of the meds.

But the people on the forums can relate, and it is good to know that one is not alone. Glad your here!
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2006, 11:19:46 am »
Hannah....

Welcome to your safe haven... I was born in "Dodge City then "got out of Dodge."  Lots of relatives still in Kansas.  I am so glad you have ventured "out" and found us..   There is no need to suffer in silence and I to understand what is like not to be able to share what it is like to have this delema.  Sure you can talk and talk and answer questions, but if you don't have others who know what its like, you might as well be talking to a mogul of snow.   I live in a remote area with no support and I use this forum to find peace in knowing others share the same fears, worries.  As well, celebrate the fact that we are here, we are alive and living.   As for your being tired, I would listen to others.  There is no reason to "Suffer in Silence" thinking that "this is the way its suppose to be".   Quality to your life is what we all search for and demand.   We are no different than anyone else.  Given only the fact we have this fucked up protien mucking us about, makes no difference...

Welcome and stick around...  You may find your solution or at least, make some really knifty friends who actually do give a shit about you and your health.... ;)

Love
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 12:02:37 pm by Eric »

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2006, 11:44:36 am »
I am not TOO far away from ya!  I live up here in KC!  Trish and her main squeeze KCMetroman(john) are extremely knowlegable and have HUGE hearts!  You ever need a weekend away let me know!

On a side note---- Trish, I would like to talk to you a little bit about what you are doing with the community, I may be in a place to help out on the career side of things for those of us who find it tough to find work.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline angels4kelly

• IT JUST IS!!.....OKAY!
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2006, 12:23:05 pm »
Hello Hannah, ;D
I'm so happy you found this place! I only found it about a month ago and I already feel much better emotionally!
I live in South Florida.

I have learned alot about HIV/AIDS here even though I've been poz for 16 years and the people here are just awesome :)
Every day someone here says something SOOOO funny!

It's just a great place!
I hope you'll stay around. You'll see what I mean 8)

WELCOME HANNAH!
Peace,
Kelly
POSITIVE SINCE-10/1990
CD4-610
CD4%-29.3
VL-UNDETECTABLE
VIREAD,VIRACEPT, EPZICOM

MOST RECENT...
10/9/2006
CD4's-714
CD4%-30%
VL-Undetectable
DIAGNOSES POSITIVE 10/90
SAME MEDS, VIREAD, VIRAMUNE, EPZICOM.

SHOOT FOR THE MOON! YOU MAY MISS,
BUT YOU'LL LAND IN THE STARS :)

Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power.

Failure is not in falling down,
but the staying down

Offline joyluckclub

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2006, 02:22:03 pm »
Hey!

Welcome to the forums! I'm so glad you found us!
"Honey, be who you is"  Madea.........

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2006, 02:31:09 pm »
I'lll take a guess that HMB4HIM is an amalgamation of your maiden and married initals ;) Sorry, but I'm too inquisitive for words!

Welcome to the forums. If you want to let it all hang out, this is the place. A quick read of any of the threads in this category will likely show just how candid people are. I hope that you can feel comfortable in asking and sharing whatever is on your mind. I've found it to be a great uplofting resource in the short time I've been here and have little doubt you will as well!

Offline Eldon

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2006, 09:30:59 pm »
Hello HMB4HIM, it is Eldon. As our members has said it; Welcome to the forums where you will find answers to many of your questions, a lot of love, support and encouragement. John and Trish are a great team and you should definitely give them a holler!!!

I do encourage you to stick around and share with the other members, it makes a world of a difference as it has in my life! Again, you will be happy that you have found the AM family!

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2006, 03:51:49 am »
I would be all for meeting people in person, like a support group, but I don't know where any are here.  Any suggestions?  I live in south east Alabama, near Dothan and near Columbus, Georgia.  Thanks.  Love.

Offline hmb4him

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2006, 11:23:13 am »
guyinsouthala,
I would check with your local aids organization.  Here we have AIDS project of the Ozarks.  They are my case managers.  They help me with everything I need.  They are the ones who told me about the support groups here.  Surely there is some sort of non-profit organization there that you keep in touch with?
Hannah
Hannah

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2006, 12:12:11 pm »
Hello, Welcome to the forums. There are many wonderful people here and usually they can answer any questions you have.I  am a 34 Year old female living in NC and if you want to talk Just PM me.  Cristy

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2006, 05:41:17 pm »
Hello Hannah,

a warm welcome from across the atlantic ocean.

I am glad you found this place, as I did a couple of months ago. It is not just the info but the support and concern of other people who understand our situation that makes me spend a lot of time here. I am hoping to be of help too, when someone needs it.

Hugs,

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline Beatz4me

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2006, 04:21:49 pm »
Hannah..welcome

I just joined and have already met some pretty amazing people.

Hugz

Offline loverboy32

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2006, 11:14:45 am »

Welcome Missouri

I was feeling in need of the same.  I have a few friends on the east coast of Canada who are POS.  I have relocated to Vancouver about a year ago,  dont know any POS people here. 
My friends are great, partner is great but not sure people can relate on an emotional level.

Hope all is well this week.

LB

Offline clarke

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2006, 02:01:30 pm »
Lotsa fun (a little craziness) and a huge amount of info around here.  ;D

Take your time and enjoy your life.  w'ere here for the ups and downs.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.