Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:59:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 222
Total: 224

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: oral question  (Read 17018 times)

Offline scaredguy2

oral question
« on: October 16, 2006, 01:40:58 pm »
Hi,

About 4 weeks ago, I had oral sex with another guy.  I was the insertive, and did not suck him.  Prior to him going down on me, there was some aggressive masterbation.  After the episode, i noticed kind of a rough patch on the shaft of my penis, no blood.  I guess it was more less chapped or chafed.

9 day later I had an HIV test, routine, yearly.  I have not sucked a guy of have never had anal sex, or anything else which would be unprotected.

This one thing has made me very nervous.  About 10 after this, I woke up in a panic and soaked from sweat.  I have had night sweats in the past, maybe they can be brought on by anxiety?

Should I be restested?  how long should I wake.  This is hurting my entire life, sleepless nights, loss of wanting to eat and just general nerves.  Please advise.
Thanks!

Offline RapidRod

Re: oral question
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 01:53:00 pm »
You do not need to test for receiving a blowjob. All your symptoms have nothing to do with HIV. If they persist see your doctor. This is not an HIV situation.

Offline scaredguy2

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 02:01:45 pm »
Thanks for your reply.  I guess my main concern was the possible exposure through broken skin.  I was not in him very long at all, and there was no other unsafe play.  Thanks for your time.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 02:18:59 pm »
Whatever the specifics you have described, you need to know that in the entire 25 year history of the epidemic and uncounted millions of blowjobs later, there has never been a single documented case of anyone becoming infected by getting one.

And you aren't going to make history by becoming the first. Discuss your symptoms with your doctor. Among other things possible, there are other STDs out there which can be passed by skin-to-skin contact.

For sure, whatever is going on has nothing to do with HIV.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline scaredguy2

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 05:46:26 pm »
thank you both for your reply.  I didnt realize that the risk was that low ..almost 0 for the insertive partner.  Thanks again.

Offline scaredguy2

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 09:13:52 am »
do you think I should test as there was broken skin on my penis?  Is that a way for HIV to enter the system.  I am just scared and confused about this,  Thanks for your help.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 10:12:32 am »
scared,

Saliva is not infectious. Getting a blowjob is not low risk, it's NO risk for hiv infection.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline scaredguy2

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 12:32:02 pm »
Ann,

thank you so much for your replay.  what if the guy had blood in his mouth...could that get into broken skin?  Is there really no risk?  i dont mean to be a pain Ann, thanks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 12:55:11 pm »
scared,

Saliva contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and hiv cannot be successfully transmitted when it is damaged. This guy's mouth would need to be absolutely dripping with blood before it posed even a theoretical risk to you. You'd hardly put your penis in a mouth dripping with blood, now would you.

Getting a blowjob is NOT a risk for hiv infection.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline scaredguy2

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 10:35:34 pm »
Ann,

Thanks for your reply.

Offline scaredguy2

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 05:50:34 pm »
Ann,

there really is no reason to test over this event?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 06:31:35 pm »
scared,

No.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scaredguy2

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 08:15:36 am »
I am reading the different questions and educating myself.  What is the average time for someone to test positive after an exposure?  I know 3 mos is the window....but is there an average as to when most would test +?   Thanks!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 08:57:10 am »
Scared,

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. A negative result at six weeks must be confirmed at the three month point, but is unlikely to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scaredguy2

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 01:41:48 pm »
so if someone seroconverts at 22 days they would test positive?  I am still trying to understand all of this.  thanks Ann.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006, 02:27:00 pm »
scared,

The term "seroconversion" refers to the fact that a person's "serum" (blood) has "converted" (turned) positive. Their blood has turned from testing hiv negative to hiv positive. So the short answer to your question is YES.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scaredguy2

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2006, 02:37:01 pm »
thanks Ann...and the others.  I am learning about this, and am hopeful your answers will educate others too.
a big thank you for your time.

Offline scaredguy2

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2006, 10:26:40 am »
Ann,

Why is 3 months the time for 'cut off'.  Would it really take someone that long to detect the antibody?  With the more sensitive tests, do you think the time would/could change to 6 weeks?  It seems that if most are going to test +, it would happen between 4-6 weeks.  am I off track?  Thanks.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2006, 10:39:49 am »
No, you're not off track about the increased sensitivity of tests which can deliver a reliable result within 6 weeks. The CDC has always been conservative about this testing point. It took them a long time to move from 6 months to 13 weeks as the point they accepted/endorsed for a reliable result.

It's perfectly feasible that we will eventually have a shorter testing time. Until then, for the sake of uniformity and because the issue of test generations jangles people, we continue to recommend sticking with 13 weeks. At that point any generation of test will give an accurate result.

Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2006, 10:41:26 am »
scared,

The three month window period exists to catch the RARE person who takes a bit longer than six weeks to seroconvert and test positive. Hiv is a serious illness and nobody wants to miss an infection. While a six week negative is highly unlikely to change, it is far better to be safe than sorry and get that conclusive result at the three month point.

I am in total agreement with Andy and I expect the window period to end up being six weeks sometime within the next few years.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scaredguy2

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2006, 10:48:07 am »
one thing I did forget to ask,  are the quick 20 min tests as traditional blood lab tests?  would they still be highly reliable at 6 weeks and conclusive at 3 mos.  Thanks again. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2006, 11:13:04 am »
scared,

Yes, the rapid tests are just as reliable as the others. Any of the FDA approved tests are - otherwise they wouldn't be approved. They are very sensitive tests.

I'm getting the feeling that you want to test over your no risk incident. That's up to you, but don't be surprised when you get a negative result. Saliva is not infectious. Getting a blowjob is not low risk, it's NO risk for hiv infection.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scaredguy2

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2006, 12:11:02 pm »
It is in the back of my mind...but I will wait until my yearly doctors appmnt. next Feb.  I think it is wise to test a few times a year.  I guess the thing that really freaked me out was the broken skin. I am now educating myself, instead of just going in for the test and not thinking much of it.  Thanks for your help.

Offline scaredguy2

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2006, 03:41:22 pm »
why would someone take more than 6 weeks to show anti-bodies and test positive?  Is it just that each person is different, or would there have to be other factors involved?

Offline scaredguy2

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2006, 01:00:46 pm »
Andy or Ann,

Why does the state of Massachuettes have a window period of 6 weeks for testing, and most other...if not all other have 3 months?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2006, 03:05:36 pm »
Contact Mass. Department of Health and ask them. We go by the CDC guidelines on HIV testing and until they change their guidelines it willl continue to be 13 weeks.

Offline scaredguy2

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2006, 11:16:17 am »
Would there have to be extream issues for someone to test positive after the 6 week mark?  Would there have to be a medical issue?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2006, 11:56:09 am »
scared,

For a start, they'd have to have a risk in the first place. YOU have not had a risk. You got a blowjob off another bloke. Get over it.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scaredguy2

oral sex
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2007, 05:21:06 pm »
A few weeks ago a guy was giving me oral sex.  I was the insertive partner.  During the course of this, he inserted the head of his penis in my mouth,  VERY briefly, I am talking 10 seconds.  I could not taste any precum.  I had dental work a few days prior (and there was bleeding)  is this a cause for concern?  I did ask him his status, and he told me he was neg.  Is this something I need to be tested over?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: oral sex
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2007, 05:32:47 pm »
Getting oral from another guy is not a risk to you.

Giving oral, particularly without ejaculation is considered to be very low risk. There have been some anecdotal reports of transmission through giving oral. But there have also been several longterm studies of sero-discordant couples who had lots of protected intercourse and lots of mutual oral. The results were that none of the sero-negative partners became infected which points to the very, very low level of risk.

It comes down to what level of risk are you prepared to accept.

I don't see testing to be warranted in relation to this incident. Your own saliva acts as a natural inhibitant to HIV, even IF the fellow you were with is HIV+.

In general we do recommend that anyone who's sexually active should regularly have a full STD panel done. That means at least annually and every six months is even better for someone who is very active.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2007, 05:36:20 pm »
scared,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

I agree with everything Andy just wrote to you as well. You don't need to test over this incident.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scaredguy2

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2007, 09:47:10 am »
Andy,  how does saliva prevent possible HIV infection?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2007, 09:56:27 am »
Saliva has an inhibitory element which neutralizes HIV, if in fact it's even present.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2007, 10:26:36 am »
scared,

Not every person living with hiv will have detectable viral particles in their saliva. It has long since been established - without doubt - that saliva is NOT infectious.

Saliva also contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv. Hiv is very fragile and the mechanism by which it latches onto and infects cells is very easily damaged.

Hiv can only latch onto certain very specific cells. These cells are NOT found in any great quantity in the mouth.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scaredguy2

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2007, 06:54:43 pm »
When did the CDC in the US change from a 6 month window to a 3 month window?  Was this due to a change in the sensitivity of the tests?  It almost seems like a 3 month window is over doing it a bit, but I guess it is better to extend it out a bit....
I assume, in countries that have a smaller window period are using the same tests (universal)?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2007, 07:06:39 pm »
2001 was when it went from 6 months to 3 month except for the exceptions.

Offline scaredguy2

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2007, 08:53:35 am »
is there a difference in the sensitivity of a finger prick test and a test where they draw a tube of blood?  Or are the rapid test just as sensitive?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2007, 09:03:31 am »
The rapid tests are just as sensitive.

Offline scaredguy2

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2007, 05:14:42 pm »
Can someone explain the different tests used for hiv detection?  I find it all very confusing.  What is Elisa Test, what is western Blot....and such?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2007, 05:50:03 pm »
scared,

Read through the Welcome Thread and follow the Testing Lesson link. Read that, then ask questions.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scaredguy2

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2007, 06:12:44 pm »
So the rapid test is an ELIZA test?  That would be the same test as drawing an entire tube of blood?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2007, 06:52:12 pm »
It's the same test as Ann has mentioned.

Offline scaredguy2

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2007, 10:18:59 am »
What is a duo test?  I could not find that on the Testing Lesson.  Is a rapid test a duo test?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2007, 10:23:00 am »
It's a combination test which tests for antigens and antibodies. Usually consisting of a P24 test and a ELISA test. No, it is not a rapid test.

Offline scaredguy2

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2007, 11:59:04 am »
why would someone need a duo test rather than just a rapid test?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2007, 12:05:51 pm »
That is something I haven't figured out. If you are newly infected, you're more than likely not going to start meds for years and if you've been infected for any length of time the P24 won't pick up antigens unless one would be in late stages of HIV when antigens can be picked up again. I think it's just a money getter.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2007, 01:09:33 pm »
The main reasoning behind uncovering hiv infection in the very early stages has nothing to do with going on meds. It's to try and stop any onward infections from happening. If a person knows they are definitely hiv positive, they are more likely to be careful about using condoms.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scaredguy2

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2007, 07:05:47 am »
I have a question about ARS.  Do symptoms all happen at once, or do they come and go over a period of a few weeks?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2007, 07:44:45 am »
scared,

You didn't have a real risk by any stretch of the imagination. As you already know from last autumn, getting a blowjob is not a risk. And having the head of some guy's penis in your mouth for ten seconds isn't a risk either. Not only do you NOT need to test over this specific incident, you're not going to experience ARS, which does happen to come on at once and go at once, not come and go and come and go and generally faff about.

You only need to test if it is part of your yearly sexual health care check up and I do fully expect you to test negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scaredguy2

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2007, 06:43:43 pm »
Has the opinion been changed on insertive oral sex?  I had insertive oral sex with a guy 2 months ago (again).  About 6 weeks later i came down with a sore throat and sinus drip.  Now I am freaking that I could have exposed myself.

I read there is a .05/10000 chance or something like that.  Is that for both hetero and homosexual relations?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.