Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:52:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 230
Total: 230

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV out in Public and trying to Have a good time with Non - HIV @ Happy Hour  (Read 19033 times)

Offline Dachshund

Funny how it's always a cracked out stripper or a welfare Queen driving a Cadillac that's mentioned milking the system. Nary a word on corporate welfare's screwing of the American taxpayer and they don't need a second job to do it.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Word up.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Shut up, commies
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
 This topic kinda makes me nuts , Its personal to me . Ive been stuck in the system so long now I have lost my perspective and my objectivity on the subject .  
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
You can still work and be able to receive disabilty. Depending on how much you've put into the system, meaning how much money you earned prior to being put on disabilty, they formulate that information some how and determine how much money you would be able to earn monthly while still recieving a disability check.

Did that make sense? Not sure I got it from the brain onto the computer in the right way.

Oh well...
I'm sure I'll find out soon after I hit post.

This guy doesnt fit my post but I love him.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
One can only make up to like $400 a month while receiving disability (at least that's what it was at the beginning of this year).  But, for one such as myself, I would get screwed for every dollar by the public assistance system pulling Medicaid and food stamps (although I only receive $10/month of these) from me.  And though Medicaid for me is screwed up, it does pay my Medicare premiums, and if I meet the spend-down every month, it will cover what Medicare doesn't pay.  I can ill afford to lose that. 

If I were to go back to work, I would have to find a job making an ungodly amount of money to change out what I receive now, albeit a pitence.  No one would cover me on their insurance right away-how would I afford my prescriptions, doctors visits/test etc.?  There's a lot of 'ifs' to think about etc. which cause me a lot of stress to even consider. 

For anyone who can successfully work, get off the system etc. good for them.  I, for one, cannot afford to at this point, or maybe even ever.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
My boyfriend got a much, much higher number for the amount of money he would be able to receive monthly if he used the Ticket to Work Program from the department of Social Security.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
 The ticket to work program can be used effectively if you are able  to make the move back to employment . The program is designed to wean people off the system , Some one like me that will never be able to financially afford my health care can use the ticket to work program for awhile but eventually you will have to choose to work or be disabled. What I'm saying is the work program can ease your financial burden for a number of months but its not a long term answer to this dilemma .

In the last few months I have been sending emails out to Senators about this issue . I'm asking them to consider the benefits of allowing people with long term chronic illness that are disabled and most likely to be  in the system for life to be able to work pay taxes while retaining full benefits when we feel able to do so . I was surprised at how many positive responses I got from senators on this matter . I even got a hand written note from President Clinton regarding me plea on this subject .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
An enraging fact of life American life today is the absolutely inverse ratio of proportion in matters financial:

Poor and struggling = as many insurmountable (and degrading) obstacles as possible to collect an insufficient sum for even a very modest existence.

Wealthy and bloating up to richer =  obscenely structured tax laws which routinely mask as "trickle down system" (read as pissing on the peasants) that make the rich even richer, (while they mouth off about all the welfare scams).

Just sayin... even though I've wandered off topic here. Consider myself warned. 
Andy Velez

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
The ticket to work program can be used effectively if you are able  to make the move back to employment . The program is designed to wean people off the system , Some one like me that will never be able to financially afford my health care can use the ticket to work program for awhile but eventually you will have to choose to work or be disabled. What I'm saying is the work program can ease your financial burden for a number of months but its not a long term answer to this dilemma .

In the last few months I have been sending emails out to Senators about this issue . I'm asking them to consider the benefits of allowing people with long term chronic illness that are disabled and most likely to be  in the system for life to be able to work pay taxes while retaining full benefits when we feel able to do so . I was surprised at how many positive responses I got from senators on this matter . I even got a hand written note from President Clinton regarding me plea on this subject .

True, its not a forever deal and once your off SS disability its near impossible to get back on it. Or at least from my experience it has been.
I'm moderately ok right now for the most part. My tcells are around 122 at last check and I do have problems with your everyday HIV related illnesses frequently but I am able to work part time.
I've had times where I needed to be back on SS disability but of course I was not able. I'm thinking I'd have to be hospitalised and 3/4 dead before they allowed me back in the system.
I use a county hospital HIV clinic so my medical needs are paid for with taxes and programs if I provide all the paperwork required to the endless line of social workers who never seem to be able to keep copies of what you give them and act as if you never gave them a copy of what ever document they need on the day you are in the clinic.
Medicaid would be nice. Last time I applied <years ago> they told me "sorry you make 9 dollars too much a month to be eligible."

Allrighty, I can see I am rambling now...

I'll shut up.

Offline hartiepie

Miamiguy: It seems you can get several things accomplished at once if you play your cards right.

If I am understanding you correctly, an eligible woman wouldn't have to work - but "contributing" would be nice.

You are distressed by the number of people on disability who are not working.

Keeping in mind that most people I know with who are using any form of welfare would love to be off welfare if a different situation were available where all their needs could be met (and a loving environment would be so welcomed, too), an answer presents itself here:

Date a woman on SS / SSI and you can get your romance and politics addressed at the same time!

Offline next2u

haha, i think hartie pie has found a solution!!

wini, 9 dollars too much? wow, bureaucratic nonsense at its best. talk about a need for discretionary judgement. hmm, things are working for me right now and i loathe having to deal with mounds & mounds of paperwork. this situation is always exacerbated by inept admin assistants, county workers, or asses just collecting a pay check. sorry, currently trying to jump some hurdles at school & the dr's office.

anyhow, miami, good luck with the dating thing. i signed up on pozmatch yesterday and things have gotten off to a swell start.

best,
d
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991

Ha!

that was funny enough to make me squirt iced tea out my nose.

Modified because I forgot to write...

The 9 dollars thing. I even requested a appeal and spoke to the uppity ups about the situation. didn't do me a bit of good.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 01:10:16 pm by Winiroo »

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
Hartie did have a good solution. From reading what everyone is saying about SS,those 9 months that they let you work w/o interrupting your check will bite you in the ass when it comes to the medical? My doctor was saying the same thing when I was talking to him about trying to work again. He doesn't think I would be able to do it long without my medical being affected and with the health problems I have. So this is one Queen who hates the damn system but is stuck with it.

Now I know I am far from being Miami's type for a few reasons...I smoke the good green, I am thick and not skinny, and he couldn't pay me to get on his boat. Now if the woman doesn't have to work, uh, what is she contributing? Good conversation? Great sex? Something has to make up for not being able to put anything down financially. Unless of course, it is some reality show and you're going for the 15 minutes of fame. Just saying.

(who is bitter, jaded and pissed with the fucking system) ;)
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
You see, for someone like Wini, who has someone else that contributes to the finances of the home, this might not be a bad idea (working again).

But, for myself, and it seems jg1962, this is not a feasible solution.  Jg, I did find interesting that the people in government in your area responded favorably.  I once e-mailed my congressman (Donnelly) about the whole disability/medical insurance/going back to work thing, and never got a reply.  I just wonder for the ones who have replied to you, what's going to be done about it.  I think your idea is a good one.

Yes, I get reviewed by the local housing authority every 6 months.  Which isn't so bad.  Then every six months I get reviewed by welfare.  That's a whole ordeal in itself.  I always have to send them things they already have copies of (ss card etc), bank statements, the form from social security about how much disability I get, any medical bills etc. etc. etc.  It's crazy.  Last year, I worked for a month and a half at some stupid telemarketing job.  When I started, I fully intended to send my caseworker at welfare a copy of my first paystub.  Well, three days after I started the job, I got a letter from her about being 'redflagged.'  She already knew about the job before I had the chance to tell her.  I lost the $10 food stamps for a month, so what.  It's the principle of the thing, sometimes.  

I've heard horror stories about people who have gotten off disability and need to get back on.  I just don't think it's worth it (at least, not for me).
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
 I was hoping that I was going to hear how wrong I am on this subject from you guys . I was hoping that you know something Ive missed that was going to allow me to go find a job tomarrow . Adversity sometimes builds character . In my case poverty has changed me , hopefully for the good . I would rather give extra money that may come my way to an organization such as KIVA , Kiva is my pet charity . There are many things I need and some things I just want . knowing what $25 can do for a family in a third world country is empowering to me . Though things are tight for me I know $25 isn't going to get me much I know it can change someones life elsewhere . This is just one way I cope .

The letters I have written to senators regarding SSI and medicare most likely have fallen on deaf ears . I received polite and concerned replies back but I'm not naive to take them seriously.
IF our government would acknowledge and change the rules so people with disability's could help ourselves
out of poverty we could give back to the system that until now we have only been allowed to take from.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
The whole SS Disability thing needs to be reexamined with regard to people wih HIV / AIDS because the bottom line is that it is never cut & dry / all or nothing with us in terms of our wellness and ability to work.  You can go from fit as a fiddle to flat on your back (and back again) on a dime, and even something like med changes can potentially take you out of the game for awhile.  But then you can recover again and be ready to go - but stuck from the fear of losing your safety net.  It keeps people frozen even in the times that it shouldn't. 

jg's proposition is a good one, in my opinion.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
[jg's proposition is a good one, in my opinion.
[/quote]

I just love it when the pretty boys agree with me
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline dgr20002

I like jg's proposition too.  I am not on disability or SS but some days I feel like I should be. I am trying to word an ad for my local HIV support group in which those that are working could offer little jobs to those that need the financial help for meds co-pays or whatever and paying cash for the work.  I myself for example need someone to come in from time to time to walk my dog and other odds and ends that I just don't have the time or energy some days to get done, I would give the person cash to do it. The concept is good but implementing it isn't. And I hope to find such work too if I am able to do it in time of need in the future.

I know I am way off topic here but this has been on my mind for a while. Of course I can get a service or someone from Craigslist or the like but I would rather help someone that needs it to get by in the doughnit hole or whatever.  Maybe something similar already exists and I am out of the loop.

David

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
 I don't think you are off topic at all.... I think we or I have hi jacked this thread quite successfully
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 04:16:13 pm by jg1962 »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Also, keep in mind how much HIV treatment has been changing.  With longer life expectancies the government is just shooting itself in the foot.  If someone is currently diagnosed at 25, it's quite possible that at several times in their working life they may need to go on and off SS.  It's a disease that, for the most part, hits people young and at the beginning of their work life.   
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
Working under the table can solve some of the financial strain. Trick is finding said positions.

Yes, I think this thread has been hijacked quite well.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Yes, I think this thread has been hijacked quite well.

I can't speak for Miami, but if it was mine I would be pleased.  It's gone from a flare up to a welcoming and then on to one of the more earnest and insightful discussions that has cropped up lately.

Oh...and a few potato jokes, too.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Snowangel

I love him!  It reminds me of that song that goes something like you ain't got nothing, if you ain't got that swing, do-wop, do-wop  ;D

9 bucks????Win- That is crazy!

I checked out Poz Match yesterday to see if there any poz women in Mass to hang with but I didn't have any luck  :-\

Good Luck, Miami!  I met my guy on the internet but there are a lot of wierdos out there.
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
My ex is in Mass. Or at least he was last time I heard from him. He was a good guy.

Dig that fro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9T7i7KP3cU

lol love the mental picture. dont mean a thing if you aint got that swing....
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 07:09:34 pm by Winiroo »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.