Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:47:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 661
Total: 661

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Online gamers crack AIDS enzyme puzzle  (Read 7077 times)

Offline next2u

Online gamers crack AIDS enzyme puzzle
« on: September 19, 2011, 11:16:25 am »
http://news.yahoo.com/online-gamers-crack-aids-enzyme-puzzle-175427367.html

Online gamers have achieved a feat beyond the realm of Second Life or Dungeons and Dragons: they have deciphered the structure of an enzyme of an AIDS-like virus that had thwarted scientists for a decade.
The exploit is published on Sunday in the journal Nature Structural & Molecular Biology, where -- exceptionally in scientific publishing -- both gamers and researchers are honoured as co-authors.
Their target was a monomeric protease enzyme, a cutting agent in the complex molecular tailoring of retroviruses, a family that includes HIV.
Figuring out the structure of proteins is vital for understanding the causes of many diseases and developing drugs to block them.
But a microscope gives only a flat image of what to the outsider looks like a plate of one-dimensional scrunched-up spaghetti. Pharmacologists, though, need a 3-D picture that "unfolds" the molecule and rotates it in order to reveal potential targets for drugs.
This is where Foldit comes in.
Developed in 2008 by the University of Washington, it is a fun-for-purpose video game in which gamers, divided into competing groups, compete to unfold chains of amino acids -- the building blocks of proteins -- using a set of online tools.
To the astonishment of the scientists, the gamers produced an accurate model of the enzyme in just three weeks.
Cracking the enzyme "provides new insights for the design of antiretroviral drugs," says the study, referring to the lifeline medication against the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).
It is believed to be the first time that gamers have resolved a long-standing scientific problem.
"We wanted to see if human intuition could succeed where automated methods had failed," Firas Khatib of the university's biochemistry lab said in a press release.
"The ingenuity of game players is a formidable force that, if properly directed, can be used to solve a wide range of scientific problems."
One of Foldit's creators, Seth Cooper, explained why gamers had succeeded where computers had failed.
"People have spatial reasoning skills, something computers are not yet good at," he said.
"Games provide a framework for bringing together the strengths of computers and humans. The results in this week's paper show that gaming, science and computation can be combined to make advances that were not possible before."
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Online gamers crack AIDS enzyme puzzle
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 04:59:51 pm »
Well decide with thread it goes into already.

I think this is brilliant and would nominate the professor who came up with the idea of using gamers, for a Nobel Prize.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Raf

• Bald by choice
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 05:44:54 pm »
As a gamer and an HIV+ person, I'm very happy for these news. I went to the foldit site, maybe in the weekend I'll download the game and try the beginner puzzles.
Dx: 05/14/2008
Latest HIV Meds combo I've been taking:

Kaletra + Combivir (since 05/16/2008 - 05/09/2019)
Acriptega (05/10/2019 - today)

Offline mecch

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 06:03:13 pm »
It makes me think of Temple Grandin.
Maybe you could get another unexpected group of creative people to come up with new ideas for universal affordable health care. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Since2005

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 09:21:32 pm »
new ideas for universal affordable health care.  
Dream on, I hate to say that.. but if Obama could not do that then I could see the looonnng way coming..

*** I gotta say...Its brilliant to see see AIDS and the online game going hand in hand!

Edited to add: I am not a real gamer but thought I would say it anyways :D
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 09:35:48 pm by Since2005 »

Offline LM

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 09:29:18 pm »
As a gamer as well, it's great to see that. I couldn't do it though, I hate puzzles, they give me headaches.  ;D

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 09:38:34 pm »
I went to the foldit site, maybe in the weekend I'll download the game and try the beginner puzzles.
http://fold.it/portal/info/science
no problem downloading the proggie; but registering is tough with their servers overloading due to all the press and media going on right now
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 10:40:03 pm »
Dream on, I hate to say that.. but if Obama could not do that then I could see the looonnng way coming..

Don't blame Obama, blame that very large segment of the American population who doesn't think that health care is a basic human right.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 11:34:12 pm »
blame that very large segment of the American population who doesn't think that health care is a basic human right.
blame the very vocal, small segment of Americans that doesn't think health care is a right and the very large segment of apathetic Americans who don't vote, voice their opinions, or speak to their legislators. ;) Polls have shown that 70-75% of Americans are for some sort of universal health care. However our society, which tries not to squash the the voice of a minority, is currently being held hostage by a vocal minority who are opposed to what a majority of Americans want.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Since2005

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 12:44:48 am »
I would not and never in million years blame Obama. Because of him (he wanted the universal healthcare damn it!!!), US got the next best thing (some even may urge on that since single payer system would have been way better).YES ANN, universal healthcare is a human right. I would not blame the American population (large or small), I don't blame Republicans either (well, I do , but at least to their support they do have a stand). I do blame THOSE MODERATE DEMOCRATES, pick your fricking boat!! What a chance on Universal Healthcare System has been missed because of them!! Sometimes, I wonder why do they even call themselves Right/Moderate democrats, they should just identify themselves as Lefty republicans. For those types of democrats frustrate me ( not sure why may be because I have been living here in US for sooo loonng). Well, whatever, I got few words for them - make up your damn freaking mind!!

There should have a online game for Universal Health Care and it's affects on AIDS victims in USA!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 03:33:25 am by Since2005 »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 01:56:21 am »
Hey Since,
I saw our moderator Ann earlier "admonishing" (advise or urge earnestly) someone about implying that having an HIV/AIDS diagnosis somehow was the dark ending of our lives.
people like us who are just moving in dark towards an end
Good lord, speak for yourself. It's attitudes like yours that perpetuate the stigma we have to deal with.

In that vein, I feel I should politely warn you about the tone of the words you posted:
it affects on AIDS victims in USA!

We are not victims, we are simply people living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA)
I know that it's semantics; but it's an important difference in words and meaning. Living WITH hiv, one must cultivate a positive attitude :) and attack the unfounded stigma that is heaped on this illness by friends and enemies alike. While HIV can definitely complicate one's life, you should never feel like you're a "victim" of AIDS because then you have given it power over your life that it does not deserve. ;)
THE DENVER PRINCIPLES
We condemn attempts to label us as "victims," a term which implies defeat, and we are only occasionally "patients," a term which implies passivity, helplessness, and dependence upon the care of others. We are "People With AIDS."
http://www.denverprinciplesproject.com/

when the Denver Principles were written many people were still dying from AIDS. I have taken the liberty of telling you to call us "PLWHA" because here in 2011 we are no longer at the mercy of HIV, we are not just "PWA"; because of HAART, we are people LIVING with our HIV diagnosis. ;) :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_With_AIDS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV-positive_people
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Since2005

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 04:03:55 am »
I would not and never in million years blame Obama. Because of him (he wanted the universal healthcare damn it!!!), US got the next best thing (some even may urge on that since single payer system would have been way better).YES ANN, universal healthcare is a human right. I would not blame the American population (large or small), I don't blame Republicans either (well, I do , but at least to their support they do have a stand). I do blame THOSE MODERATE DEMOCRATES, pick your fricking boat!! What a chance on Universal Healthcare System has been missed because of them!! Sometimes, I wonder why do they even call themselves Right/Moderate democrats, they should just identify themselves as Lefty republicans. For those types of democrats frustrate me ( not sure why may be because I have been living here in US for sooo loonng). Well, whatever, I got few words for them - make up your damn freaking mind!!

There should have a online game for Universal Health Care and it's affects on AIDS victims people living with HIV/AIDS in USA!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 06:31:49 am »
I agree that the words we choose to use really do have a psychological effect on both yourself and others, whether we consciously realise it or not. It's more than "just" semantics. It's a well-known concept and one utilised in CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy).

cue much whistling
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 10:22:22 am »
There should have a online game for Universal Health Care and it's affects on AIDS victims people living with HIV/AIDS in USA!
thanks for the edit, and the understanding ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Since2005

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 08:57:37 pm »
Why thanking leatherman? Its well said and I wasn't thinking it that way but as Ann also implied 'look at the bright side' :)

Even though I am not a gamer but I think by doing HIV/AIDS related games people could learn a lot be educated that way.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 09:08:22 pm by Since2005 »

Offline LM

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 09:19:25 pm »
But all this makes you think, no? I mean, scientists can't crack an enzyme puzzle in years, while gamers took 3 weeks. What the hell are scientists doing?? I support them and stuff, but it's kinda embarrassing that they get their ass kicked by lazy, pot-smoking gamers (I'm joking, just joking!).

That's why we need fresh, young scientists with bold, new ideas, new approaches, because if we rely on grey-haired scientists who keep saying "this is impossible", we won't get anywhere.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 10:35:14 pm »
But all this makes you think, no? I mean, scientists can't crack an enzyme puzzle in years, while gamers took 3 weeks. What the hell are scientists doing?? I support them and stuff, but it's kinda embarrassing that they get their ass kicked by lazy, pot-smoking gamers (I'm joking, just joking!).

That's why we need fresh, young scientists with bold, new ideas, new approaches, because if we rely on grey-haired scientists who keep saying "this is impossible", we won't get anywhere.

Um, it was a "young scientist" who developed the foldit program at the University of Washington.  Who's relying on "old scientists?". That doesn't even make sense, and is quite naive and insulting.

Besides I prefer "mad scientists" myself. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline LM

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 11:13:27 pm »
Um, it was a "young scientist" who developed the foldit program at the University of Washington.  Who's relying on "old scientists?". That doesn't even make sense, and is quite naive and insulting.

Besides I prefer "mad scientists" myself. 

Don't be so bitter, it's not healthy for you.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 07:52:09 am »
If online gamers can lead the way to a cure, then the geek shall truly inherit the earth.

Offline mecch

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 08:11:00 am »
well with Gates and Jobs the geeks are halfway there

Offline Since2005

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2011, 03:49:27 am »
well with Gates and Jobs the geeks are halfway there

Surprisingly that's almost true!

Online gamers crack AIDS Enzyme Puzzle is still amazing
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 03:52:12 am by Since2005 »

Offline joemutt

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 11:42:11 pm »
If online gamers can lead the way to a cure, then the geek shall truly inherit the earth.
love it.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2011, 04:30:28 am »

What this took was a serious amount of manpower.  The designer of the game just basically laid out the rules in a gaming format that anyone would use to solve these problems.  The gamers then learned those rules due to constraints of the game and applied them in most likely some sort of strategic team effort so that they were doing large quantities of problem solving in their off time as a leisure activity.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.