Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:17:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773204
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 516
Total: 516

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hi everyone  (Read 6067 times)

Offline bradwill

Hi everyone
« on: August 02, 2007, 10:11:51 am »
Hi all,
I am new here and am beginning to read the threads in this forum.  I can tell it will be good for me.  I am a middle-aged male, new to the gay community.  I have been dating an HIV+ man for about 9 months.  I really care about him deeply.  He and I have SO much fun together and I love being with him.  I am HIV- and am trying to learn as much as I can. 

He is not only on meds for HIV, but also is battling leukemia (again) and has been on chemotherapy since January.  He never talks about his HIV numbers (he has told me he never really wants to know unless there is something to be concerned about), and I've learned not to push him about his health.  That's been very hard because I want to know everything that is going on, but I understand his need to not have to talk about it.  He is able to do most anything he wants to do.  He forces himself to stay active and involved in life....even bought his first house a month ago.  He is such a strong-minded person - he amazes me!  I think he does hide his struggles from me.  I definitely hide my crying times from him.  I don't want him to feel like he is making me upset.  Although he already knows that I tend to worry about him.  I'm not always sure how much to share my own struggles with his personal health issues.  I suppose I need to just let him talk when he's ready to talk about it.

We had been dating for about a month or so when he told me he was positive.  I told him that it didn't affect how I feel about him...and it still doesn't. 

I think having some feedback from all of you will help me to be the best kind of friend that I can be for him.  I'll continue to read when I can...but thanks so much for making this site available.

Until later,
Brad

Offline tornado

Re: Hi everyone
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 09:25:12 am »
hey brad,

i think you're a little like me.  hiv/aids really just doesn't bother me.  visiting a hiv doctor helped a lot.

i've educated myself about it, and it's actually been very interesting (i'm a biologist by education and a funning nutcase by life experience and a water scientist by trade).  a really bad fatal genetic disease runs in my family, so i'm used to overcoming medical challenges, disease and death issues.  my sister and her daughter has the genetic disease and my dad died early from it --- i don't have it, lucky me.

from the moment i first saw my new gf, i knew there was something very special about her.  at first, the hiv deal deterred me a little bit, but you can't shake or deny love no matter how you try, especially if it's genuine.

so far it sounds like yall are doing the right thing and especially you.  if we, all of us, could be open and mindful like that, we'd live in a wonderful world.

good luck and maybe sooner or later, your bf will open up to you, just as you have opened up to him.

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 11:23:30 pm »
Brad: You sound like a fine partner, and a reminder that "gay life" is whatever two people of the same sex develop together. Folks that are very close are often quite different in personalities---a wonderful balance. When challenged  by difficulties, sometimes becoming a little more like your "opposite" can be beneficial. I suspect your partner could share a bit more with you, but in his own way, according to his own timetable.

I am poz and my ex, is and was, negative. It is more than possible to love your :P  fun  ::) and keep one partner uninfected. Welcome!

8)  -megasept

Offline bradwill

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 09:34:56 am »
Hey -

Thanks for the replies.  I'm trying to learn and yet remain sane about the whole situation.  I can get myself all tied up in knots, emotionally, if I think too much about it.  I wish he would have never contracted HIV and wish that I'd have met him before that occurred.  But I tell myself that we both wouldn't have been ready anyway, so "it is what it is."  If I concentrate on the "what ifs" then I won't enjoy the here-and-now.  I'm working on that one.   ;D

Thanks again for the notes.  I appreciate it.
Brad

Offline tornado

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 12:35:41 pm »
hey brad,

something about your last post made me think of "what if's" and "shoulda woulda coulda's" regarding our poz partners and meeting them before hiv.

i really think, and know, that every human being's trials and tribulations, and life experiences, mold the personality and identity, to which we are attracted.  i.e. if your bf was neg, then he wouldn't be who he is today.  like, i've been through a lot of bad things in my life, but i wouldn't have it any other way, honestly.  i know that sounds corny, but it's true.  maybe hiv is the same....i can't assume it, but i think hiv has made my gf a stronger person, and i really like-like her for that!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.