Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:05:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 346
Total: 346

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Young KY Guy Unexpectantly Dies; Leaves Wish To Help Others  (Read 2550 times)

Offline tednlou2

Young KY Guy Unexpectantly Dies; Leaves Wish To Help Others
« on: August 22, 2012, 12:18:38 am »
Had to share this, because it is a nice story in a sea of bad.  But, also, because he and his family are from Kentucky.  The story was featured on the "Today Show" today.

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/48736377#48736377

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Young KY Guy Unexpectantly Dies; Leaves Wish To Help Others
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 08:40:48 am »
The brother is a cutie.
There is something nice about the whole thing, but also a smarmy side.
The nice side is clear.
The smarmy side I dunno.  How about that he gets to decide who to tip.  How about all the waiter and waitresses hoping they will get it, too.  Also, now they know what the family looks like.  Also, it solves nothing really about the hideous wages and absent benefits of waiters.   Also since when do 30 year old have Wills?   
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline wolfter

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 09:38:06 am »
  Also, it solves nothing really about the hideous wages and absent benefits of waiters.   

Yeah, I guess it would have been better to have done nothing since they couldn't solve this problem.  GEEZ

I have been following the story and I found them to be a very delightful family, carrying out their son's wishes and receiving gratitude from others' is helping them deal with the grief of loosing a young loved one.

Not every action has a nefarious motive.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline weasel

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 08:33:23 pm »

That is very nice .

Carl  :)
" Live and let Live "

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 09:14:41 am »
The brother is a cutie.
There is something nice about the whole thing, but also a smarmy side.
The nice side is clear.
The smarmy side I dunno.  How about that he gets to decide who to tip.  How about all the waiter and waitresses hoping they will get it, too.  Also, now they know what the family looks like.  Also, it solves nothing really about the hideous wages and absent benefits of waiters.   Also since when do 30 year old have Wills?

I don't get the "smarmy side". Basically the guy instructed his family to do an unexpected act of kindness and charity and people were inspired by it. I think that is great. As far as a will, the video says he died unexpectedly, not instantly. He could have just told his family to do this before he died.

Offline mecch

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 12:48:27 pm »
I guess you are all right.  Maybe it was the news story production and "narrative" that irks me. 

I get nervous when the genuine and remarkable charitable nature of Americans is taken by boilerplate journalism and potentially used by the political right, or by people, to support an idea, that it is by personal giving and charity that the poor, sick, or underpaid are going to have a chance at a better life.  Its kinda related to the "lottery" and "internet action" memes.  Like that poor lady bus monitor who got a windfall. Nobody begrudges her the windfall.  Its fine with me if a waiter or two or 10 or 50 get one time big tips. Don't want people to think this is the solution for bigger problems.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 03:03:57 pm »
I think one of the nicest aspects of the story is that this action is helping the mother cope with the loss of her son. The "big tip" seems to have been more than just a opportunity to make someone's day better or even a distraction from grief. It has given the family an opportunity to talk about Aaron Collins and the type of person he was.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 04:01:39 pm by GSOgymrat »

Offline mecch

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 04:10:57 pm »
Yes good points. Im sure you all understand it better than I. I tend to react to media portrayals as that's my specialty.  Thanks for the insight.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.