Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:10:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773193
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 236
Total: 238

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: L.A. Center ad campaign: "AIDS is a gay disease"  (Read 23555 times)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Re: L.A. Center ad campaign: "AIDS is a gay disease"
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2006, 12:55:53 am »
You could just use the old ad that used to be on t-shirts back in the 80's. The one with the RAID insecticide can that says "AIDS kills fags dead". Then you could stir nostalgia and controversy at the same time.

There are lots of things you can say to be provocative but it doesn't necessarily lead to intelligent discussion or a change in attitudes or behavior.

Offline Peter B

• Ways to Make Money Online
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2006, 06:43:26 am »
I'd heard of the add and seen a headline here in South Africa saying "AIDS is a gay disease"... my personal opinion is that the add is  utter CRAP, dangerous, and starting up antiquated beliefs again, and those saying that its true for where the add is placed in LA or where ever are damned naive if they really think the add will only be known there..... I'm in SA and its already been seen here, except we only read about the "aids is a gay disease" part.  I'm stunned that people with brains on this site actually defend such total bullshit as this add!

AIDS effects everyone and anything stating the contrary for whatever purpose is just dumb and dangerous.   I can not even begin to fathom some gay peoples want to "own" a disease that effects the human (ANY human) immune system!

Thats my opinion as a hetero South African and I don't particularly want to debate it,  just giving my point of view, take it or leave it.

And that will most likely be my post for the next few months if not forever, hope everybody is well, expecially those i've known from this site since way back when it began....... and I liked it more then.  I Don't feel like I remotely fit in anymore and this advert, and peoples defence of it is kind of why, seems like AIDSMEDS is now mostly meant for gay americans.... I have no problem with that tho and hope it serves you all well.... just not for me anymore!

Cheers
Peter B.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2006, 08:12:10 am »
I tend to agree with Peter S  regarding provacative ads.

A few years ago here in New Mexico, the state had a prevention campaign that included billboard of various types. The one that stuck in my mind, and still does to this day, was one of a corpse on a gurney, with the focus being on an exposed foot replete with toe tag.

The ad said something along the line of "HIV kills. Do you know your status?" or something like that.

It caused lots of controversy - and got people talking.

Isn't that what ads are supposed to do?

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline joemutt

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2006, 08:23:16 am »
I feel the ad is trying to reach a target group but as an unfortunate result will stigmatise the target group again in the eyes of the general public opinion. a knife that cuts both ways, as it were. not really well thought-through.

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2006, 08:26:02 am »
I agree with people we should also point out that it is not a gay disease either, or just as controversial, have a bunch of 6 year olds, much like the campaign in NY where the question show a father and baby and asks,"would you love him/her less because she is gay?"
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 10:02:12 am by alisenjafi »
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2006, 08:52:45 am »
I'd heard of the ad and seen a headline here in South Africa saying "AIDS is a gay disease"...

I'm stunned that people with brains on this site actually defend such total bullshit as this ad!

AIDS effects everyone and anything stating the contrary for whatever purpose is just dumb and dangerous

Cheers
Peter B.

Thank you Peter!!
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2006, 11:19:15 am »
You are making too much out of this ad? What does the first sentence say in the ad, after the lead in title? Does it, or does it not say, "OK, diseases don't have sexual orientation?" Then in the second sentence it says, "We know that HIV isn't just a gay disease." Then it gives the facts about gays and bisexuals have borne the blunt of it. That is a true statement, is it or is it not? Not only is that statement true for L.A., but all over. This is not a national ad, this ad is directed toward the people of L.A..So why are some of you reading more into this ad than what is there? They did not try to deceive anyone. I see nothing wrong with the ad at all and  I believe it was well written.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2006, 12:23:26 pm »
Iggy,

Your totally uncalled for post has been removed. We will not tolerate that kind of thing here and if you do anything like that again, you WILL be given a time out. You were this close to one today. I trust you will heed this warning (and that everyone else will too). We do not want to give you a time out, but will if you become abusive again.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Iggy

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2006, 12:32:23 pm »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 08:30:26 pm by Iggy »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2006, 04:18:45 pm »
Your point is still incorrect. If the above paragraph would have been printed in the same size font as their sponsored by. Then there would have been a possible point to deceive, but this wasn't the case. I'm farsided, and have astigmatism and that paragraph stood out like a sore thumb and I didn't have to use my glasses to read it. If news papers and other written documents would not have a Topic Line, people would over look the article. You can't say that you would read a news paper or article that didn't have a line to catch your attention and that is exactly what they did in this ad.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2006, 06:01:35 pm »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 08:30:10 pm by Iggy »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2006, 09:35:35 pm »
Never mind Iggy, I can see you don't understand marketing concepts and there is no more use in discussing the issue.

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2006, 09:49:04 pm »

This morning on local L.A. news channel and covered on CNN/Fox/MSNBC was an HIV positive forty-four y/o single mother of three, who was irate/furious over the ads that she and her children came across in the south of Los Angeles area. The ads claiming “AIDS is a Gay Disease.” Basically what she said was, how do I now explain to my children?  That  “No, because you’re not gay, doesn't mean you can’t get AIDS.” The other question, that her 14 year old asked her was “Mom, are you gay?” 

Misinformation, for whatever reason or purpose is the wrong way to go for teaching people about HIV/AIDS. I do not  agree with Peter’s rational  (Getting gay men to take seriously the issue of HIV again will be a very hard nut to crack. I think a few shocking ads might get people talking again -- a necessary first step.) Most gay people that I’ve met do have a brain and most of them use it.

(Sexually, Gay’s might be foolish/promiscuous/careless)  but most know exactly what they are doing.

For the past ten or more years, Gay-bashing has become an extremely popular sport among our fellow citizens and especially our elected officials. To label AIDS as a gay disease is to put the advances that we’ve made as a community back to way before the Stonewall Rebellion of 1969.   >:(

And that will most likely be my post for the next few months if not forever, hope everybody is well, especially those I've known from this site since way back when it began....... and I liked it more then.  I Don't feel like I remotely fit in anymore and this advert, and peoples defence of it is kind of why, seems like AIDSMEDS is now mostly meant for gay Americans.... I have no problem with that tho and hope it serves you all well.... just not for me anymore!

Cheers
Peter B.

Peter B.  ???

I agree with you somewhat. But changes can be good. This site is definitely not the same as it was years ago. It’s now more gay friendly than it is actually about AIDS and health issues. But please don’t go and hide again. The experiences that you share might just help someone who needs the help. Just ignore the crap. The tantrums and childish egotistical behavior like that above, just skip over it.

This is still the best site WW (Worldwide) for information pertaining to HIV/AIDS.
 ::)

Offline jntmax39

« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2006, 03:18:17 pm »
I agree with you PETERB.
Everyone has an opinion.But this site has been a life saver for me. I was diagnosed in Jan 05. And if it wasn't for the people and the lessons I would feel lost.

Offline bear60

« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2006, 06:08:48 pm »
If the purpose was to get people talking or thinking.....it worked.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Iggy

« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2006, 07:57:59 pm »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 08:29:33 pm by Iggy »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.