Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:12:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773290
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 658
Total: 660

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Taking Action  (Read 4668 times)

Offline Ravhyn

• Nerd Alert
Taking Action
« on: February 05, 2011, 06:25:15 pm »
I hope this doesnt come out the wrong way...but when I found out that I had Aids.  I was hoping amongst all the crumminess that maybe at least I'd loose a few pounds...

a year later, I'm the heaviest I've ever been (Yikes!)

It got me to really thinking. Tonight my husband leaves for Afghanistan for a year long tour, and for this next year. I really really want to make a lot of changes. Weight, being the biggest one.  So Instead of investing in a gym with income tax I am buying some equipment (treadmill, bike, etc) and also will be getting out more and doing some real running.  I'm going for a complete life change. (Hair, Clothes, Weight) and I'm even giving up smoking (that one I think will be the hardest)

So I was just curious with losing weight what helped you guys a lot?  or what would you recommend from others experience (please note with PCOS, I can't have a lot of carbs because of that syndrome) 

and Just two quick questions, instead of making two different threads with Rayatez, Norvir and Truvada can I go to a tanning bed? and can I eat grapefruits? I've heard different stories. and I just want to clarify because I do plan on hopefully visiting a tanning bed for the second time ever in my life lol. 

I just didnt want to bother my doctor with these questions, because she always seems like she's in a hurry and I hate bugging people. 

and I will try to respond, I know I have a bad habbit of not responding a lot of times because I multi task and get caught up in other things but I do promise I read everything =).
April 2006 - Sero-Conversion
December 2009 - Diagnosed
Jan 2010- VL 3,800 CD4 152
Summer 2010 VL UD, CD4 over 200
September 2010 VL UD, CD4 324
March 2011 VL UD, CD4 477
May 2011 VL UD, 338

Offline Gio

Re: Taking Action
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 10:37:34 pm »
Ravyn congrats on the new choices...  i changed the way i cooked my meals and less frying more broiling reduced my sugar intake actually replaced it with a healthier sugar...  it started slowly and before i knew it i pretty much had cut alot of unhealthy stuff..  Dont frett if you fall off the wagon just get back on... one more thing avoid avoid fad diets they dont work the in the long term...

Offline mdh26

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 11:16:10 pm »
gluten intolerance is common in women with PCOS. and eliminating wheat is a great way to lose weight. So if I were you, I'd go gluten free for a few months to see if the PCOS improves (and any other gluten related symptoms, of which there can be many). You can get a blood test for celiacs, and a positive would be useful in letting you know you have it, but the test has a very high false negative rate (i tested negative as did my mother who had been having chronic daily migraines for 30 years - my body started working again after going gluten free and she is migraine free for the first time since her 20s) so the only real way to find out is by eliminating it from your diet and seeing what happens.

As far as losing weight in general, eat less processed food, less carbs, cut out sugars/sodas/juice. Eat more meat and fish, eggs, veggies and nuts. Fruit in moderation. When you do eat carb heavy sources, assuming you don't mostly get rid of them, it's best to say have them with one meal a day (not spread out), since spreading them out throughout the day can lead to you having elevated insulin levels throughout the day, which prevents fat loss.

And for exercise, I would recommend that you start doing resistance training. The reason exercise is useful for weight loss is not primarily because of calories burned, but because it increases insulin sensitivity in your muscles and liver, which decreases the amount of time that insulin levels are elevated after meals. So lifting weights/doing pushups/pullups etc. is significantly more beneficial than walking or jogging for a few miles a day (although that's still very good as well).

Obviously start with something your comfortable with and work your way up. The key to long term success tends to be taking it a step at a time, and this applies both to exercise and diet changes.

Those are the basics. I found out I had celiacs a couple years ago, I'm a nutrition geek, and I'm a big proponent of the paleo diet, so if you have questions on any of those topics or want anything more in depth for weight loss just ask.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 02:10:04 am »
The most effective way to cut calories out of your diet is to eliminate soda or any sugary beverage.  I don't know if you partake but I know a lot of people ingest upwards of 500 calories a day from drinks alone.  If you can handle only water I would do that, for some added flavor coffee (no sugar) or diet coke are also options.  Once I'd been drinking water and only water for a while I began to crave it often.  That's my number one tip for anyone who wants to lose weight.  If you can do that (because some people who claim they are serious about it cannot) then you move onto the harder stuff:  watching the content and portions of what you're eating at mealtimes, exercising regularly and with increasing difficulty.  No matter how difficult it is for you to lose weight if you cut calories and increase exercise you will.

Offline Hoover

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 09:20:45 am »
After a lifetime of working out, my best advice is to find a workout partner.
The days when one of you doesn't feel like working out, the other will force them to participate.
We have all seen people who buy the machines and bikes then only use them to hang clothes on.
Joining a gym and going with a friend makes exercise a more social event that has meaning.
Walking or running with a friend (or dog) is also great. It is hard to turn down your dog (or friend) when they get so excited about going out with you.
Don't think of the change of lifestyle as a bad thing, it can be great.

Good luck,
Hoover and ......
Infection date: March 16, 2010
20/05/10 - CD4 348  VL 58,000  Lymph nodes in jaw painful!  Antioxidants started.
01/06/10 - CD4 428  VL?
24/06/10 - CD4 578  VL 9,800
13/07/10 - CD4 620  VL?
04/09/10 - CD4 648  VL?
01/11/10 - CD4 710  VL?   CD8 972
16/12/10    CD4 738  VL?  CD8  896   
02/02/11    CD4 520 (month of parasites and new lab)
14/03/11 started Truvida and Sustiva (Efavirenz)
04/07/11 CD4 686 VL 75 CD8 588  41%
10/10/11 CD4 757  45%  VL UD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.