Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:21:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 360
Total: 360

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Need help from other cat people......  (Read 22889 times)

Offline mitch777

Re: Need help from other cat people......
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2013, 06:05:45 pm »
Good luck Mike!

No words of wisdom here.
Cats are more complicated than dogs. I grew up with both and could never figure them out. lol.

m.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2013, 11:44:41 pm »
Thanks all for the suggestions.

I'm not sure that he's actually "spraying", as most of the spots have been on the seat cushions -- not the back or arms.  It's all quite odd and a new experience for us.
I will call the vet again on Thursday to get him in to have his urine tested -- even if they need to keep him for part of the day.  I think that has to be ruled out first.

We haven't changed his litter type -- it's the same type he was using when we adopted, as we didn't want to change anything besides his house and owners -- but we may change the current bag (maybe there was something "funky" about this particular lot of it).

We put a bowl of food in the middle of the couch earlier, then went out.  when we came back he had eaten the food and urinated in the far corner.  for now, I've just pulled up the cushions.  I'll resoak it with the "Nature's Miracle" spray that everyone raves about -- then, perhaps try the aluminum foil thing as an interim until we get his urine tested.

If his urine comes back OK, then we may need to try some drastic.  I've been wanting new furniture for that room for a while now and Sid has wanted no part of buying new stuff.  Maybe I'll get my way ---   ;D.  Of course, if he pisses on new furniture...........................   :o

He's such a loving and fun guy, otherwise.  I can't imagine actually giving him away -- he's such a nervous cat, that I am not sure I could do that to him.  Plus, I've never given a pet away -- not sure I could. 

At least it's only been on a couch that I am tired of anyway (17 years old).

Thanks again - -and Merry Christmas eve!!

Mike

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2013, 06:23:09 am »
Well, if you get a new couch, maybe you could put the one he urinates on in some room that you don't go into much, then he would still have his favorite pee spot, and you could keep him. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2013, 07:29:16 am »
Mike, that sounds like a UTI to me (not spraying). Male cats are notoriously prone to it.

Cranberry tablets are a very good remedy (and prophylactic) for cats. One of my male cats kept getting a UTI and the antibiotics the vet gave sold me would work, only for the UTI to come back a few weeks later. I started giving him cranberry instead and it cleared up and stayed cleared up.

I also discovered a brand of cat food that actually has cranberry as one of the ingredients and it is also bladder-health-friendly. Many brands contain too much ash and that clogs males' pipes up, contributing to infections. The brand is James Wellbeloved - but there may be others out there that also have cranberry.

I always knew when Vester had a UTI because he'd start pissing in the bathtub. If it wasn't taken care of, it would quickly go from a dark yellow to obviously having blood in it. Poor kitty!

I've known when other of my cats had UTIs because they will pretty much always start peeing in places that will catch your attention - like a couch. In my experience, cats who are somehow emotionally distressed will pee in more out-of-the-way places.

Try some cranberry tablets asap - you may find you won't need to take him back to the vet. Just like with antibiotics, it can take a day or two for it to really kick in.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline bocker3

« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2013, 03:47:52 pm »
OK -- so we finally were able to get a urine sample from my BIG Stanford.  They were unable to get any with the "normal" needle, because he carries most of his fat tissue around his bladder.  Finally gave me some "non-absorbent" cat litter and I was able to collect a sample at home.

He does have crystals -- and a little blood, but no infection.  Started him on a special diet.  Hopefully this will help -- he hasn't peed on the couch in days now.  Of course, I've been spraying it with something that is supposed to repel cats.  I'll wait a couple days then stop with the spraying.  If the couch remains "pee free" for a couple weeks after that -- I will then go out and buy new furniture.

Ann -- wasn't ignoring  your advice -- just wanted to see if he did have crystals, and if so, were they due to acidic (oxalate crystals) or alkaline (struvite crystals) urine (yes, I've done thousands of urinalyses in my day.....).  Not sure that cranberry tablets would help with acidic urine.  Of course, his pH is high, so they would have been a possibility.

At any rate -- thanks all for your help.  This poor little guy has had a tough couple of days and is sleeping in my lap as I type this......

Hugs,
M

Offline Dan0

« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2013, 05:00:30 pm »
And that is what I dealt with for over ten years with my cat....crystals and blockage. We switched to Royal Canin for Urinary Tract health and that helped....but the main goal was to get him to drink more water....so in with the canned food went the water. That helped but they still formed about every nine months to a year and back he would go. What finally did him in was when we didn't catch it in time and by the time we made it to the vet he was so stressed out that his heart gave out. So, in my mind, it was manageable. Maybe not in HIS mind...but he wasn't the brightest bulb on the tree, either. When you're pretty you don't have to be particularly smart (talking about cats, people!)

Best of luck!!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 05:02:35 pm by Dan0 »
"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
10/2013 Stribild Still UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2013, 06:07:40 pm »
So glad he's doing better, Mike!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2013, 09:47:59 pm »
Mike sorry to hear about Stanford, Hope he gets well soon. He's lucky to hvae such a caring owner ;)

Meanwhile my cat just annoys me with his pretend pirate reenactments...

« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 10:08:42 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2013, 09:24:46 am »
I'm glad to hear things seem to be working out, Mike.

It wouldn't hurt to see if you can't find a cat food that includes cranberry. It's not so much the acidity of cranberry that works for bladder problems, it's another ingredient that I can't bring to mind right now (and don't have time to google).

While Vester would always allow me to give him the pills (he trusts me implicitly), my other cats weren't so easily duped treated. I used to have to wrap his mother up in a throw-rug and wear heavy gardening gloves to get a pill down her! The food-route is so much easier - and less dangerous.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2013, 09:32:24 am »
Those cranberry pills are a winner . My mom endured years of bladder and kidney infections and those cranberry pills stopped it in its tracks .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline bocker3

« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2013, 02:12:24 pm »
I'm glad to hear things seem to be working out, Mike.

It wouldn't hurt to see if you can't find a cat food that includes cranberry. It's not so much the acidity of cranberry that works for bladder problems, it's another ingredient that I can't bring to mind right now (and don't have time to google).

While Vester would always allow me to give him the pills (he trusts me implicitly), my other cats weren't so easily duped treated. I used to have to wrap his mother up in a throw-rug and wear heavy gardening gloves to get a pill down her! The food-route is so much easier - and less dangerous.

Pill Pockets -- the best invention EVER for pilling a cat.  I would have lost my mind without these when my last cat, Charlie, was taking as many pills a day as I was!!

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/greenies-pill-pockets-cats-chicken-1-6-oz-ct?SourceCode=INTL405&CAWELAID=499559913&catargetid=530002460000000567&cadevice=c&mkwid=tajrpZ3o&pcrid=18953397607&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CNzroYiR1rsCFYl9OgodtngAyQ

I will look into the cranberry pills too.

M

Offline britchick

« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2013, 03:37:33 pm »
Re Pill pockets for cats.Just shown your post to my sister.She has a 16 yr old cat who keeps pretending to take the pill, hold it in her mouth, then hides it, when my bro in law or anyone apart from my sis tries to give the med.So my sister is googling this right now to see if we can get the pockets here in the Uk

britchickx

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2013, 03:42:06 pm »
Pill Pockets -- the best invention EVER for pilling a cat.  I would have lost my mind without these when my last cat, Charlie, was taking as many pills a day as I was!!

HA! I tried the same type of product (just different brand) with Phylis (Vester's mum, RIP) and she'd eat it alright, but only the treat went down, the pill always got spat out on the floor. Then she'd look at me with that look cats get in their eyes when you know they're laughing at you. She'd even ask for another! She was one crafty little minx!

Re Pill pockets for cats.Just shown your post to my sister.She has a 16 yr old cat who keeps pretending to take the pill, hold it in her mouth, then hides it, when my bro in law or anyone apart from my sis tries to give the med.So my sister is googling this right now to see if we can get the pockets here in the Uk

britchickx

You posted when I was typing.... I got them in the UK (well, on the Rock) but I can't for the life of me remember what they were called. I want to say "Pill Poppers" but don't hold me to it. Like I said, it was a different brand. I think my vet carried them, or it may have been a pet shop. My memory is playing with me again. (sorry lol)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline britchick

« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2013, 03:56:15 pm »
Ok, Greenies are now selling the pil pockets in the Uk through Amazon, so we will order some.Cant stop smiling, just had a pop up for a book about Yoga for cats!!!

britchickx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.