Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:19:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 374
Total: 374

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Poll

Is a star rating in people's posts helpful?

No, I don't like it
25 (67.6%)
No want to say/not bothered
9 (24.3%)
Yes, I like it
3 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Voting closed: June 23, 2006, 03:06:44 am

Author Topic: STARS OR NO STARS IN POSTS?  (Read 17100 times)

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
STARS OR NO STARS IN POSTS?
« on: June 08, 2006, 03:06:44 am »
Not to pre-empt the mods, but people's busy and a poll was promised/requested.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
Re: STARS OR NO STARS IN POSTS?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 03:12:00 am »
it will be done.

This is premature and without any background or the opportunity to really discuss this.

This poll is invalid and really should not have been posted.   Sorry Newt, but I think you overstepped some bounds here. 

I do have an argument in favor of the 'rankings', and matty as well has his own arguments against this.  

I just want this to be a fair poll with the opportunity for everyone to express their opiniions.   Till the owners are ready to post  the promised poll, I think it in bad taste for you to push the issue.

Please note that your topics of voting are extremely confusing as well.

you ask, "is the star rating helpful?"

and the first possible answer is : "No, I like it"

Well, it really can't be both can it?  Either you DON'T like the ratings or you do.... Your option is directly contradictory to any question..... and makes this a very FLAWED survey.

You should have waited for the mods to post it... and not tried to pre-empt them with your thread here.

Please close this poll as it is premature and has serious wording issues which make it invalid.   Let the mods post their own poll when they are ready.

I'm sure it hasn't been forgotten.

(with much respect to you newt, because i ADORE you)

Bailey
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 03:27:26 am by DingoBoi »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 04:01:25 am »
Methinks Newt is, in part, having a little fun here. ;D

The poll questions:

"No, I like it"
"Yes, I dislike it"

are cute. Hehehehe.

I agree that the Mods will post the poll when they're ready. No doubt they're still busy bedding down the new software and whatnot.

MtD
(Who bets it's just his luck that the poll will be called this weekend when he's away)

Offline Cliff

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 04:07:33 am »
It's not that serious (the vote).  Plus if people want to state their views or vote here, then I don't think that would make things all that confusing, should the mods have an official vote (which will probably be a sticky any way) later.  Give the people some credit for having a brain.

I can understanding wanting to give people some time to try out the new forums, but at the end of the day, you either like the stars/ratings or you don't.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 04:29:13 am by Cliff »

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 04:40:39 am »
and if the poll questions were concise and accurate, i mght agree....  but since they aren't this poll is invalid and any discussion might be biased.

But the questions aren't valid.

Offline newt

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 06:04:37 am »
I have edited the questions to be the right way round.

I have no strong views either way, I have no vested interest in this going one way of the other... but why wait? does it matter who starts the poll? is there (a yet to be tested and revealed) poll etiquette?

If Peter wants to defer the question he can lock the thread and post his own poll later, but it's a simple question, and generated quite a debate on pro's and con's in another thread B4 hand. 

You empower people, they act. What's the difference between an "official" & "community-led" poll? If mods don't want general people posting polls then they can take the option off the boards.

I have personal views on polls, namely that they have huge potential to set flamebait & encourage poll trolls (yes there's one lurking under this bridge right now), and therefore they are candidates for exclusion from general posting options.

- matt

Offline Optimistic

• An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctors Away!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 06:05:16 am »
what stars? Do you mean the stars under our names?  I didn't even notice them until this post.

Justin
12/06 (Atripla): cd4 - 260; cd% - 33%; vl - 169
1/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 267; cd% - 38.1%; vl - 132
4/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 373; cd% - 33.9%; vl - <50
7/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 287; cd% - 35.8%; vl - <50
9/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 356; cd% - 39.5%; vl - <50
12/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 517

Offline Optimistic

• An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctors Away!
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 06:08:29 am »
When I read a post, i don't care about the stars to be honest.  I don't pay much attention to it. I pay more attention to peoples' thoughts and what they have to say.....for me, it is irrelevant whether there are stars or no stars.

Justin
12/06 (Atripla): cd4 - 260; cd% - 33%; vl - 169
1/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 267; cd% - 38.1%; vl - 132
4/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 373; cd% - 33.9%; vl - <50
7/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 287; cd% - 35.8%; vl - <50
9/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 356; cd% - 39.5%; vl - <50
12/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 517

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 07:45:54 am »
Hello,

I will wait until the mods set up a poll, But Actually I don't really care, one way or the other. To be quite honest, I don't look at the number of posts, I look at the information provided.

When I joined up on the former site, it wasn't to see how many posts I could make in a given amount of time. It took me a long enough time, to get comfortable enough to  get posting anyway. I actually don't like typing, and depending how the arthritis is in my hands, I like to keep everything short.

I joined here for information, and to share my experiences of living with this virus for 20 years, for those who like to read about them. If I can answer questions, I will do that also. Got to let the newcomers know, that life doesn't end with a positive diagnosis.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline doyourowndamndishes

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 08:36:15 am »
Here here Ray!

The stars really don't matter to me.  Shit, anyone can just keep pumping out questions or reply to every query under the sun with a simple, non-informative response just to bump up their "ranking".  I don't think that just because a person posts often or infrequently that their opinion and their knowledge is any more or less valid.

Cheers,

Alan
"All that we are is theresult of what we have thought." -Buddha

Offline Cliff

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 08:57:08 am »
Not a huge deal, but I don't like the stars nor the classification.  I think the information is useless and only serves to point out (incorrectly, at times) someone's status.  For example, someone may not be a newbie (i.e., they've been a member for a long period of time but they just don't post very often)....and yet the system will call them a newbie (or a junior member), when infact they may be a very seasoned member (just not a prolific one).

Plus this place is too busy already with all these icons, smileys, ding dongs and jiggamajiggs.  Sometimes less is better.

No vote for me, but the world won't crumble if it stays.  Plus I'm a Junior Member now so I really don't give a flying f*ck what you newbies think.  You freshmen can just kiss my sophmore arse.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 09:22:32 am by Cliff »

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 09:05:56 am »
What are the "stars" ? Could someone explain the "what" of what everyone's talking about for us newbs? Thanks :)
"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful nor conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, adaptation in A Walk To Remember

CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 7 Nov 2006
CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 5 Feb 2007

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 09:09:40 am »
I don't mind the stars it's the damn titles attached to them I hate.

I voted in this poll just to tick Dingo off.  When the "official" poll is started I'll vote again.

RAB

(Who's "member" is FULL!)

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 09:15:57 am »

I am glad someones got a full member. I can' hardly get my member up.... I don't believe I just said that :P
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 09:17:52 am »
Molten,

All that info and star stuff is just above your picture icon. :)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Iggy

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2006, 09:18:56 am »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 09:48:29 pm by Iggy »

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 09:19:59 am »
Whose member is full

I am glad someones got a full member. I can' hardly get my member up.... I don't believe I just said that

ROFLMAO! We still love ya JRE.

BTW, thanks for the info on what "stars" you all were referring to.
"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful nor conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, adaptation in A Walk To Remember

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2006, 09:22:04 am »
Iggy:

it places people in a false hierarchy and perhaps gives them a sense of entitlement that is not real.

What do you mean it isn't "real"?  My entire being is defined by that damn status!  Now you're telling me it isn't "real"?    >:(

RAB

(Who's entire life has just been turned upside down!)

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2006, 09:22:25 am »
....in the spirit of democracy I will also vote in favor of RAB's full member. If RAB's full member makes me see stars...then I'm all for it.

Hal ::)

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2006, 09:24:35 am »
"makes you stars" or makes you SEE stars?

If it's the latter, hot dang! Mwahaha!

Molten
(The evil, twisted redhead)

Offline Cliff

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2006, 09:27:52 am »
Looks like the voting is 11 to 1 for shutting down the stars and crap.  I think we have enough votes to have a consense here.  The public has spoken and we have elected Bush by a wide margin.  Peter, shut 'em down.

Cliff
(Who likes this new not-so-democratic approach to the forum).

P.S.- Some Full member jerk, AKA Rocky, just told me he couldn't speak to me because I'm not a full member yet.  These stars and classifications are ruining friendships, can't you people see this!!!

P.P.S.- Rocky voted yes in the poll, just wanted to let everyone know that.  ;D

P.P.S.S.P.S- The voting is now 12 to 1.  Landslide.

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2006, 09:51:27 am »
OK, isn't the 'Full Member' rating added at 100 posts?  Given a few weeks, or days in some cases, wont all of the regulars be Full Members shortly anyway ????    You can keep that 'Sr. Member' tag though... Won't we all be Senior Members soon enough.... Click Here to See Sr. Members..     :-\
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 09:56:15 am by Lwood »
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2006, 10:06:07 am »
Trivial Pursuit!

In a year, nobody will give a shit, including Iggy.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2006, 10:28:08 am »

The whole thing is pretty irrelevant, isn't it?  I mean, if I were to vote, I would say to do away with it since it really serves no purpose.  I guess to me it doesn't matter if someone has 1 or 4001 posts.  I am still going to respond the same way

Offline Robert

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2006, 10:29:15 am »
well if this freshman has to kiss Cliff's sophomore ass, I'm willing to be newbie for a long, long, time. I've never had a problem with hazing.  As for Rab wanting to flaunt his member, well I can handle that too.

robert

(whose very fickle and voted against the ratings.  But just who is first among equals?)

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2006, 10:58:38 am »
If I'm gonna look anything like those babes in Lwood's link, I don't EVER want to be a Sr. Member.
My eyes!!   :o
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2006, 11:09:48 am »
OMG!!!!
I just became a full member, and don't know what to do with it. ;D
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Trish

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2006, 11:19:15 am »
Hmmm, all this talk about full members... I can't handle it!!! :o

And like you Lisa, I certainly don't want to be one of those members in Lwood's link.  Eeewwwww!!! :( ::)

As far as the Stars and all, it's irrelevant...doesn't matter to me.  I don't even look at them and in the old forums I never took much notice of how many posts I had or anyone else.  No matter to me.  If it's gone, I wouldn't even notice and if it stays, I wouldn't notice then either.
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2006, 11:30:45 am »
I don't mind the stars it's the damn titles attached to them I hate.

I voted in this poll just to tick Dingo off.  When the "official" poll is started I'll vote again.

RAB

Rab are you saying your full of it? ;D ;D ;D
It kind of reminds me of when you'd get a gold star in school. It was dumb there and it's dumb here.

Ladies. Lwood??? Now theres a star I wouldn't mind sitting under.

Terry
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 11:34:33 am by Terry »

Offline Iggy

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2006, 11:35:54 am »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 09:48:00 pm by Iggy »

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2006, 11:50:16 am »
aww Tim - thanks for singling me out for my opinion!  :-*

Only because you are worth it my dear, you are simply worth it. ;D

In Love.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2006, 01:26:39 pm »
polls are always flawed, in some way...

i don't much care for the stars(reminds me of junior school + getting stars for good behaviour), but if i had to choose, i'd rather see the wording changed, like "new member" etc. at the moment, just seems a bit hierarchical, which i don't think is the aim of this site.

btw newt..."poll troll"...priceless

kate

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2006, 11:37:48 pm »
Lwood, I can't believe you posted a link to Silverdaddies.

What's worse is the fact that I think I have an ad there...... :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline newt

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2006, 12:17:51 am »
I am amazed that as i type this thread's got more or less the same views and 2 x as many replies as David's rather touching and important disclosure thread...

stars....smart person can add these 2 pics to the message icons or the smiley set

- matt

Now playing - BBC World Service

Jr Member

(perhaps the thread's real purpose is to help people bump up their post count past "Newbie" (this would be social poll trolling, mild and perhaps forgivable, like using salad cream instead of mayo)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2006, 01:27:29 am »
I'm with Cliff.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2006, 08:40:24 am »
perhaps the thread's real purpose is to help people bump up their post count past "Newbie" (this would be social poll trolling, mild and perhaps forgivable, like using salad cream instead of mayo)

My dear man, using salad cream instead of mayo IS unforgivable!!!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Steven

• A Place To Start
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2006, 12:57:40 pm »
(perhaps the thread's real purpose is to help people bump up their post count past "Newbie" (this would be social poll trolling, mild and perhaps forgivable, like using salad cream instead of mayo)

I'll go along with that....

BUMP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.