Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:02:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 638
Total: 639

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Baby daughter in hospital - terrified  (Read 4861 times)

Kennedy

Baby daughter in hospital - terrified
« on: February 14, 2007, 04:45:18 pm »
I wrote on the old forums nearly two years ago about an encounter which I thought I'd gotten over.

I had protected oral and 2x protected vaginal sex with a sex worker in May 2005. After two weeks I came down with flu like symptoms which lasted 3 days (fever, night sweats, NO rash, NO lymph node swelling as far as I'm aware). I was worried because when I removed the condom it kind of slipped off in a way I'd not experienced before. Maybe there was a tear that I didn't notice and vaginal fluids entered the condom? I slept with around 5 other prostitutes after this in 2005. I believe I've put visiting sex workers behind me, I've been on the wagon for over a year.

Since then I got married and had a baby. My wife tested negative for HIV during her routine check-up during pregnancy. This HIV test would have been around 3 months since our last unprotected sex. We had sex twice during pregnancy (after we found out she was pregnant), both times I entered un-protected but put a condom on before I ejaculated.

I'm worried that during one of these time I may have infected my wife via pre-cum. Now my baby is 3 months old and has just been admitted to hospital because of a fever. She's on anti-biotics and will have to stay in hospital for 2 days. I'm terrified that she may have contracted HIV from my wife during pregnancy or via breast feeding. I read that first signs of HIV can show in babies between 2 and 3 months.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, I'm very stressed and don't know what to do.

Thank you.

Offline kentb

Re: Baby daughter in hospital - terrified
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 05:00:05 pm »
Have you tested positive for HIV?Nothing you have described is a risk for HIV.  Since you and your wife are clearly monogamous you should get tested for HIV,  not because you have had a risk,  but because of anxiety you have from your single days. You can put the issue to rest once and for all in your mind.
warmest regards, and enjoy your wife and new baby!

Kent
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 09:07:15 pm by kentb »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 05:24:33 pm »
Whatever is wrong with your child has nothing to do with HIV.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 05:33:46 pm »
Kennedy, condoms provide very effective protection whether you were with a professional or with a civilian in the past.

Based on what you have reported, there's absolutely no basis in HIV science to think that you were exposed to the HIV virus. It's a good idea when any couple decides to settle into secure monogamy to get tested together. So if you need the inevitable negative result then I would say get tested and collect your negative test result.

As a new parent, you need to get accustomed to the reality that babies and children get sick sometimes. It's scary when that happens. But, it doesn't mean your baby has HIV just because you have some lingering guilt or shame about having had some sex in the past with sex workers or about other aspects of your life before marriage.

I don't see any cause for concern about that, the condom slippage included, but as I said previously, for your peace of mind go and get tested. I certainly expect you will test negative and then you won't have to worry and wonder about it any longer.

Good luck with your baby. Becoming a parent is the most challenging and the best job in the world.

This is NOT an HIV situation. 

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 07:44:16 pm »
I accept that my worrying does likely stem from the guilt of visiting prostitutes in the first place. It's not made easier by the fact that I've never spoken to anyone about this apart from the people on this board.

I also agree that I need a negative test to put this behind me and carry on with my life.

That said, I'd still appreciate opinions on a couple of matters just to put my mind at rest during this difficult time:

• What would cause a condom to slip off (actually it kind of snapped off) instead of roll off like normal after sex? Would this be indicative of a failed condom?
  • If I am HIV+, how likely is it that my wife was infected during sex where no ejaculation took place?

I'm acutely aware of sounding like a bit of a nutcase now, so I think I'll sign off.

Thanks in advance.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 07:50:31 pm »
1.  When I pull a condom off it ALWAYS slips/snaps off.  It NEVER ROLLS OFF.  It is NOT an indicator of a failed condom.  A failed condom looks like a hula hoop with a grass skirt around the shaft of your penis.

2.  We dont play the ODDS game here.  It only takes ONE time.  That being said.  This is NOT AN HIV SITUATION!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Central79

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 08:37:03 pm »
There a lot going on here, but I don't think you're likely to have HIV (get tested). Even if you did have HIV, the chance of transmitting it to your wife is remote given what you're describing and even if she contracted HIV, there's a good chance the baby didn't.

So to get one HIV+ baby you have to go down a whole chain of (extremely) unlikely events. And gets get febrile illnesses all the time. There's a whole chapter in my paeds textbook on this stuff...

So get checked out if it's bothering you and take better care of yourself, your wife and your new child. Enjoy what you have - it must be great. You might want to consider seeing a counsellor or psychotherapist to deal with your sex worker compulsion.
Diagnosed January 2006
26/1/06 - 860 (22%), VL > 500,000
24/4/06 - 820 (24.6%), VL 158,000
13/7/06 - 840 (22%), VL 268,000
1/11/06 - 680 (21%), VL 93,100
29/1/07 - 1,020 (27.5%), VL 46,500
15/5/07 - 1,140 (22.8%), VL not done.
13/10/07 - 759 (23.2%), VL 170,000
6/11/07 - 630 (25%), VL 19,324
14/1/08 - 650 (21%), VL 16,192
15/4/08 - 590 (21%), VL 40, 832

Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 07:43:17 am »
We recieved good news on my daughter's test results. Although we're still waiting for blood culture results, initial tests show no sign of infection. She's back to her normal self today which is wonderful. It's likely she just caught a virus from somewhere.

Of course my head is still spinning, I'm still worried that the virus could have been caused by HIV/ARS. All the more reason to have an HIV test I suppose...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 09:32:03 am »
Kennedy, I believe you are worrying needlessly. However, only an HIV test result will confirm that you are HIV negative. That's what I expect your result to be, by the way.

So the only question is how long are you going to torture yourself with worry about this issue? Get tested, collect what I expect will be a negative result and put this concern behind you. What's the alternative? To keep on worrying about this forever? Uh uh. I don't think so.

So terrified or not, get yourself tested. I expect it to work out ok. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline Kennedy_

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 09:57:39 am »
Hi,

This is Kennedy. I'm sorry but I've created another user account - I changed the email of the old user account to a fake email address because I was paranoid it would appear on the site. Then of course I couldn't log back in with my original account details. D'oh!

Anyway, this morning I had an HIV test via a finger prick. It yielded a negative result within a few minutes. So, I just wanted to check with you that this test is considered definitative?

Is this test the same "rapid test" that is mentioned in the "testing lessons" part of this site?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 10:03:40 am »
A rapid test is just that. You get your results minutes afterwards.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 10:04:06 am »
If it was 3 months after your last exposure then yes it is.  If you are referring to the event 2 years ago, OF COURSE IT IS.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Kennedy_

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 10:11:08 am »
Yes, I'm referring to the incident two years ago. I just wanted to confirm as the test was so quick it all seemed so surreal.

Thanks to everyone for their support, the last few days have been an absolute nightmare. I'm glad I can finally put this behind me.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 11:06:28 am »
Congratulations on that happy and definitive test result.

Now take a breath and get on with your life.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.