Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:17:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 474
Total: 475

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Please tell me I am just going bezerk.....  (Read 4463 times)

Offline Mantra

Please tell me I am just going bezerk.....
« on: March 07, 2012, 01:17:57 pm »
Hello guys,

What a great site and what insightful forums.  You guys are an inspiration.

Was diagnosed recently and went on Atripla....even before doing the bloodwork.  The CD4 subsequently has come at 405 and no VL yet, but the floater in my eye (in my estimation) has become more pronounced since I learned of the CD4. I am (understandly) obsessed by the floater (which I have had for years...even in "negative era"). My doc does not believe this is even a factor and that a flaoter is a floater.

But I have been voraciously reading articles on the internet about this topic and am having a truly "Carrie Bradshaw-ish" type moment: Is this considered immune reconsistution of a previously unknown CMV retinitis or is this is my mind playing games with me? Can immune reconstit. occur at higher CD4 levels?

This whole diagnosis was very disappointing (but not entirely unexpected in view of  my having thrown caution to the wind and engaged in sexually less than protected conduct and occasional meddling with drugs).  These factors were limited to a particular time in my life and are no longer factors, as I now consider this diagnosis the path to a new, health-driven beginning!  I hope that there is hope for me yet!  I take full responsibility for my actions, but nevertheless pray for a bright future.

Thanks for being in the trenches guys and for all the wonderful input you have added in these useful forums. 

Yours,

Driven to Distraction!

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Please tell me I am just going bezerk.....
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 05:39:46 pm »
Hi Mantra!

Welcome to the Forums. I'm sorry you're here but glad you found as all the same.

Look, your doctor is right. A floater is a floater. Particularly as you've lived with the little darling for all these years. It's not uncommon for newly diagonsed folks (and some not so newly diagnosed types) to blow these things out of proportion.

What were utterly unremarkable things before suddenly become Life Threatening Omens of Impending Doom.

My advice is to stop googling this stuff. It's only going to get you bad information and make you crazy. When it comes to HIV information you need only two things.

1. Your doctor/health care team;
2. This website.

I strongly encourage you to check out our Lessons section which contain wealth of knowledge presented in a clear, straightforward manner.

Most of all, welcome. :)

MtD

Offline Mantra

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 06:25:31 pm »
Dearest Matty,

Thank you SO much. I really am going crazy.  Your encouraging response comes at a time of complete desperation and worry, particularly as I am not sure about the outcome of whether CMV is involved and what the hell is going on with me.

I am in agreement with you, as well, as to the notion of all things suddenly being harbingers of some chaotic event.

Thanks again and a big hug for your kindness.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 07:04:36 pm »
Dearest Matty,

Thank you SO much. I really am going crazy.  Your encouraging response comes at a time of complete desperation and worry, particularly as I am not sure about the outcome of whether CMV is involved and what the hell is going on with me.

I am in agreement with you, as well, as to the notion of all things suddenly being harbingers of some chaotic event.

Thanks again and a big hug for your kindness.

No problem Mantra. :)

I appreciate that this stuff can be overwhelming so let me show you how to use our Lessons to get some useful information which is relevant to your circumstances.

First we look up the lesson on CMV, which we find here: http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/CMV_6768.shtml (You can find the links to all our lessons in the red link I posted above.)

That lesson tells us that CMV is really not something to freak out about unless your CD4 count is lower than 50:

Being infected with CMV is no reason to panic. CMV is only a threat when the immune system becomes damaged. If your CD4 cell count falls below 50, you're at a much greater risk of developing CMV disease, particularly CMV retinitis (discussed below).

Well that's good to know, particularly as your CD4 count is 405. So straight away we can be pretty confident that you're not at risk of developing CMV retinitis.

And CMV is not a problem at all unless you've been infected with it. You should ask your doctor to arrange a CMV test if that hasn't been done already.

The AIDSmeds Lessons are an invaluable resource in this way. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Cheers,

MtD

Offline Mantra

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 07:36:02 pm »
THANK YOU . THANK YOU SO MUCH MATTY. Yes, the blood work was done for CMV; still waiting.

And i checked out the lessons, you highlighted, too.

You are an amazing person.

Cheers and I am in your debt my friend.
 :)

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 08:02:43 pm »
THANK YOU . THANK YOU SO MUCH MATTY. Yes, the blood work was done for CMV; still waiting.

And i checked out the lessons, you highlighted, too.

Bookmark them. They're good stuff. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

You are an amazing person.

Well, maybe a little. ;)

Cheers and I am in your debt my friend.

Not at  all, I'm glad I could help.

Best regards,

MtD

Offline Mantra

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 06:22:27 am »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.