Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:45:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773205
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 532
Total: 533

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My story so far....  (Read 6628 times)

Offline NewYorkKat

• Hangin' On Staying Strong
My story so far....
« on: January 10, 2007, 08:54:45 am »
First and foremost thanks to everyone who posted on my first posting. I am very grateful and I feel like we are family already! Muchas Gracias! Danke!

My boyfriend got tested for HIV and he came back negative. We both agreed that we will not have any sex until March due to me going for my second blood test for my VL and T-cell count and him get rested for HIV again! Our relationship is now more stronger than ever and we are both staying strong through this. Communication has been playing a key role in all of this and he suggested that I go to private doctor instead of a clinic. Let's see how this works as the clinic I am going to right now is great but they can do better.

I went to my first doctor visit and she said I should have a Hep A/B vaccination, a tetanus shot and a pneumonia shot. I got all of them done that day except the pneumonia shot. I also had a anal Pap smear done to check any STD's. I go back for the another shot next week and I go again in March for a follow up blood test.

Since my diagnosis, I still hit the gym 3 times a week doing more lifting.I have been drinking a ton of water at room temperature using Brita water bottle to filter out the "junk" and with a squeeze of lemon which help me with vitamen C. Eating more vegetables, gave up drinking coffee, alcohol and processed foods. I also learned to relax and treat my self every 2 weeks to reflexology ( I love getting my feet rubbed!)

I hope I am on the right track. Is there anything else I should do? Avoid? Do more of or less of?

My biggest problem still I think too much about what lead me to be infected. Especially when i sleep. I find that praying helps and thinking about how good life is gets me some rest but it's the thinking that can be driving me crazy.

Thanks so much for reading this and any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I will keep you posted.

Offline ChaplinGuy

• Eat my left foot
Re: My story so far....
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 09:11:53 am »

Hey there NYKat, it's good to hear that you are doing so well. You sound a lot like me when I first learned the news. Through a lot of determined thinking and giving in to the irreversability of it, I think I was able to shed the worry and charge ahead.

Like you, I also found solice diving into the gym, rededicating myself to marathon training, and by taking my already pretty healthy lifestyle a step further. (Although I wish I knew how you could give up coffee - I am most impressed.) And how great to know someone else who does reflexology - it's a wonderful treat and very helpful for getting your body and mind to just let go of the tension.

I think that you will find, especially given your already strong will, that your mind will start to clear and you'll become comfortable in your status. I know it didn't feel that way for me at first, and I constantly thought about it - my future, what if I had just..., etc. But you begin to let go and just accept it.

Good to meet you!

Zach

Offline rick21007

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 09:23:10 am »
Hey!  Good to hear the update.  Sounds like you are on top of it---especially the pro-active, postive outlook!  The two greatest things you have going for you IMO--your relationship with your husband and your relationship with God.  I am really happy for you!  Learning to deal with hiv is pretty much about learning to live isn't it!

Best, Rick

Offline koi1

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 09:00:31 am »
Hi,
My diagnosis came long after a time when I was more self destructive, which is probably when I got infected.
So tryign to figure out who gave it to me was of no use. I know why I got it, but figuring out with my therapist why I was so self destructive ten years back has been at best insightful, since I have matured quite a bit since then. Nevertheless the new diagnosis did bring some of those feeling of worthlessness back from the past, but having a support system and friends here kept me from really feeling sorry for myself.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline rick21007

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 09:29:55 am »
Hey Rob---you were diagnosed and then joined the forums just a few weeks beofre i did, so we were both pretty much in the same place around the same time.  I have really appreciated your posts and that early PM giving me encouragment.

Being gay in this society, and for many of us being gay and being from the families we grew up in little wonder we struggle with feelings of worthlessness.  I remember one of my early thoughts right after I was told of my hiv diagnosis was "so this is what it felt like to be a leper."  My self esteem is pretty robust for which I give credit to the wonderful people in my life as much as to doing my own Life's Work.  But there was a time when I didn't have enough self-esteem to qualify as having low self esteem.

It is so apparent from your posts that you are a special guy.  You really are!  And I also believe you are plenty smart enough to figure it out.

Best, Rick

Offline NewYorkKat

• Hangin' On Staying Strong
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 10:21:17 am »
I know what you mean. After my diagnosis I felt like "I should have been straight or a church kid!"

Growing up gay and being made to feel worthless can be really hard.

Since I was not a drug abuser or a promiscuous person (Mine was a one time deal and yes that's all it took!) I think my recovery might be good. My VL is low and my T-Cell is high start so maybe it's a good sign. (Don;t want to jinx it!)

Anyway, I am glad I found this forum.

This morning my husband wanted sex and I said "NO!". Only if I said that in Germany! (Shoulda, woulda, coulda...)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.