Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:40:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 467
Total: 470

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: NYC firefighters refuse to play gay rugby team over HIV threat  (Read 5315 times)

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
this crap appeared on the advocate website today

News June 22, 2006

Firefighters allegedly refuse to play gay rugby team over HIV threat

The all-gay Gotham Knights rugby team won a quarterfinals match in an annual tournament in Queens, N.Y., last weekend—though not in the way they had wanted. The team’s opponents—a team that includes members of the Fire Department of New York—forfeited the match, citing “concerns” about the HIV status of the Knights players. The Gotham Knights and Rock/B Fire rugby teams never took the field on Saturday for their scheduled quarterfinals match in the Rockaway Rugby Sevens Tournament, after a member of the Fire team allegedly asked the Knights whether they could guarantee that none of their players were HIV-positive. “He came up and said something like, ‘I don’t mean to be a jerk, but...’ and then he asked if we could all confirm that we were not HIV-positive,” Knights player Eric Merfalen told OutSports.com Tournament chairman John McCann has a slightly different account.

He told OutSports that the team was “going to play, but Gotham gave the team notice that some players were HIV-positive after being asked.” Either way, experts agree that the chances of a player contracting HIV through sport are miniscule. One 1998 study found only one possible transmission of HIV has ever occurred on the playing field of any sport, and even that has never been verified. A spokesman for FDNY told OutSports that the team was absolutely not acting in the name of the department. Jim Long told the site, “The department in no way would sanction or condone any discrimination of any person based on preference, race, or medical history.” (Sirius/OutQ News)
http://gayestneil.blogspot.com/
Check out my friend Neil's blog that gives a interesting first hand perspective on this situation

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
Re: NYC firefighters refuse to play gay rugby team over HIV threat
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 04:27:26 pm »
Didn't something similar come up when Magic Johnson was going to play for the Olympic 'Dream Team'...?
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 02:16:47 am »
The Gotham Knights and Rock/B Fire rugby teams never took the field on Saturday for their scheduled quarterfinals match in the Rockaway Rugby Sevens Tournament, after a member of the Fire team allegedly asked the Knights whether they could guarantee that none of their players were HIV-positive.

I imagine the fellows in Rock/B Fire learned that Gotham Knights was a gay team, then they talked about this-that-whatnot, then they probably sat down for a vote. 'Majority wins' type thing. Too bad, it might have been a growth/learning type thing for everyone

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 06:20:26 pm »
Hey I woulda taken on the Gotham Knights all by myself if I had to.

Oh...were we talking about rugby here?   
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 07:47:15 pm by JohnOso »

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 07:35:33 pm »
Maybe the Gotham Knoights should have replied " Can you guarentee the same"
Cheers
Johnny- whose been with a few firemen!
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 07:31:21 pm »
Maybe the Gotham Knoights should have replied " Can you guarentee the same"
Cheers
Johnny- whose been with a few firemen!

touche!

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 10:00:35 pm »

I didn't think the FDNY was afraid of anything. This might harm their rep.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.