Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:13:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 338
Total: 339

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Another restaurant meal ruined  (Read 14059 times)

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
Re: Another restaurant meal ruined
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2009, 07:49:33 am »
Another mum speaking up.  I have 6 children ranging in age from 12 (as of last week) to 5.  In that group, we have 3 autistic children 1 of whom also has a comorbid diagnosis of MR.  When we are out in public, they are absolutely expected to behave themselves. I don't care if we are in McDonald's or Fish Bones. And, believe me, they know where the line is and what the consequences are for crossing it.  There were times when Hubby or I ended up eating dinner in the car while one of our children had a "meltdown".  But, most times, we are complimented about our children's behavior.  We do have 1 daughter who eats sitting under the table.  But, she's quiet and doesn't bother anyone.  She doesn't particularly like eating in front of people.

As for complaining, I don't usually have to.  I use it as a teaching opportunity for our own children.  After hearing a family using your family as an example of how NOT to behave, we find it doesn't take long for the parents to get the kiddies under control.

Of course, on that very rare occasion when Hubby and I go to dinner by ourselves, we tell the hostess to put us far away from children and offer an extra tip if no kids are seated with-in 4 tables of us.

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Cliff

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2009, 07:50:40 am »
Children are such a rare sight for me that I don't mind seeing them act up in public.  I generally only see them on the tube (going to the zoo or some overpriced London attraction).  It's funny seeing some random business man trying to discreetly move a child's dirty shoe off his £2,500 suit.  The child, picking his nose while asking his mom how many more stops they have, is completely oblivious to the insult.

I've been known to let my nieces and nephew act up in public.  I rarely get to see them, so on the two times a year I do see them, I don't discipline them.  Bad uncle.  Probably. But hey ho life's short and all.  Plus they'll grow out of it.  I did (mostly).

Complain to the manager/staff but I wouldn't address the family directly.  Kinda puts them on the defensive and begs an unnecessary confrontation.  Plus they actually may be great parents.  Just tired that night.  Or they could be bad uncles and aunts.  In which case, let it slide, please.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2009, 09:07:19 am »
When did it become acceptable to accost other patrons at a restaurant and criticize the behaviour of their family members?

Swimming against the tide here, yes, you were wrong to speak up in the manner that you dd.  There is a time and a place for face to face confrontation and an upscale restaurant is not it.   (Duelling, when fashionable was customarily reserved to isolated glades and the banks of the Hudson. :))

I realize that all here are offering opinions only, but this one is way out there.  You did absolutely nothing wrong.  From the OP:
Within a few minutes the children at the table nearby began running around the restaurant yelling and carrying on.  They climbed up on the banquet seating bench, running back on forth.  Their parents were watching but said nothing.  This continued for an extended period of time with the parents watching but saying nothing.

Finally, not willing to have our dinner interupted any longer I asked the parents in a calm polite tone "could you please get your children under control their behaviour is very disruptive".

These weren't children giggling a bit too loudly or arguing like kids do.  These were children that were running around the restaurant.  That is not OK.  Their parents were aware of what they were doing and did nothing.  Yes, the kids were acting like kids, but there are places where children have to behave.  Theaters and restaurants come to my mind.  If this had been in a store or other public place were you could have easily stepped away from them, that would be one thing.  You did nothing more than ask the parents to do their 'job'.  Those parents showing you the menu where it says 'family night' just proves their ignorance.  They misunderstood 'family night' to mean that the restaurant was providing a table-side playground.

When I was very  young, I didn't dare misbehave in public.  I remember one time my mom threatened me with "Do you want me to pull down your pants right here in front of everybody and spank your bottom?"  I stopped.  Immediately.  It wasn't the fear of the spanking that bothered me, it was the fear of having everybody see my butt that go to me! (Imagine that  ;) )

Some, if not many Americans, do try and be polite.  I was taught to hold the door for people - men or women, to offer my seat on a bus, etc to the elderly or needy (pregnant, sick, whatever), to assist older folks when they drop things, you know, general courtesy.  I don't necessarily think that one generation is always worse than others, but having manners is something that seems so 'old fashioned' to a lot of younger kids.  

If I had been in the OP's situation, I would have either asked the parents to control their children or asked the waitperson to be moved due to the disruption of those children.  I also would have let the parents hear me ask to be moved.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 02:56:10 pm by David_NC »
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2009, 01:13:43 pm »
This has been an interesting discussion, thanks for the support from most.

I've decided to send an email to the mgmt/owners of the restaurant to inform them of the situation, and get their feedback.  I'll post their reply if I get one.

When did it become acceptable to accost other patrons at a restaurant and criticize the behaviour of their family members?

Swimming against the tide here, yes, you were wrong to speak up in the manner that you dd.  There is a time and a place for face to face confrontation and an upscale restaurant is not it.   (Duelling, when fashionable was customarily reserved to isolated glades and the banks of the Hudson. :))

No matter how calm you think you were (although you mention you simmered for a while), the remark you made was inflammatory on its face and the reaction unsurprising. 

As others have pointed out, your real "beef" (as it were) is with the restaurant management which did not provide the anticipated atmosphere of calm.  The appropriate technique at an upscale restaurant is to summon the waiter and discreetly state the reason that you demand a new table and a refund.  Starting quarrels with the other diners is considered déclassé.

Yrs
A Dvted reader of Mrs. Post

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I couldn't disagree more.  I hardly think that the parents were "accosted" by my remark.  I did not criticize their children, only informed the oblivious parents that their children's behaviour was very disruptive.  I think we were the ones who were "acosted" by the out of control children.

Remember the behaviour was so beyond what any reasonable person would  consider acceptable for virtually any public area, other than a playground.

And while I do conceed that speaking with the mgmt opition exists, in the real world of short staffed restaurants it sounds better on paper then in practice.  There was only one water on duty, if I had asked him to intervene, the parents would have been pissed off at him, and probably stiffed him.  No dispute that mgmt has a responsiblity here, but so do the parents.  And in my opinion the parents responsibilty is far, far greater.   Putting a waiter in a position where he might have to sacrifice 1/2 or a 1/3 of that nights income seems unfair too.

Some people are consious of how their actions affect others, some are indifferent.  I belong to the first group because I was taught, and I believe, that it is simply polite, and respectful to do so.

My partner and I have had this discussion with others here in town, and we have been overwhelmed with how many people have similar stories.  I don't know whether crime rates are up or down.  But civility cetainly has taken a turn for the worse.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline fearless

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2009, 06:39:56 pm »
We say "please" and "thank you" in Philadelphia, so I'm tempted to accuse all Australians for being hateful, nasty, impolite malcontents :)

I will say this, from my experience Americans in general are very good at please and thank you and service generally. We could learn a thing or two from you in this regard. Shop assistants in Sydney are notoriously rude and unhelpful. Service in the rest of the country is generally better.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2009, 09:05:34 pm »
I will say this, from my experience Americans in general are very good at please and thank you and service generally. We could learn a thing or two from you in this regard. Shop assistants in Sydney are notoriously rude and unhelpful. Service in the rest of the country is generally better.

With 11.1% unemployment in North Carolina I've noticed a marked improvement in customer service. Everyone at restaurants and stores is being extra friendly and attentive, almost as if their lives depend on it.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 09:07:12 pm by GSOgymrat »

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2009, 09:59:01 pm »
No matter what the price, you should be able to enjoy a meal without a  pack of wild apes running loose.  I agree with Assurbanipal that the real problem was a failure of restaurant management.  I probably would not even involve the waiter, but get up and go find the manager (much more effective than waiting for him to come to you).

It's unfortunate that you were put in that position in the first place.  One thing I've learned is that you can't educate louts, and they resent attempts to do so.  If it really bothers you then maybe you could write a letter to the restaurant ownership and tell them what you think of spending $75-100 for a McDonalds dining experience.       
It's a complex world

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.