Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:13:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 338
Total: 338

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: worried!  (Read 6952 times)

Offline fovis

worried!
« on: September 16, 2011, 06:49:18 am »
 i wanted to tell you my incident and take your advice, on work i hit in a sharp corner my solder i gained a scratch but not bleeding a lot,it didn't tear apart my shirt it was just a red scratch made under the shirt you could see the blood but it wasn't oozing it didn't bleed the shirt, (i try to describe as best as i can the incident), i was 1st wonder if i could get infected from the fact that i hit in an object that i don't know who touch it, maybe someone else would have hit himself there before me, and 2ND i left work 2 hours after i didn't put anything above the wound as it was covered from my shirt, if someone (with blood on hands) touched me there i would be in problem?or the shirt would prevent any infection? do you think i need to test or anything like that? or it is something i should just forget?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 07:04:00 am by fovis »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: worried!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 07:31:29 am »
You are worrying needlessly. HIV is a fragile virus. It is absolutely not passed from environmental surfaces such as you are concerned about or doorknobs, toilet seats, food, beverages, silverware, nicks at the barbershop, kissing or hand to hand.

Only unprotected intercourse (vaginal and anal) are confirmed sexual risks and otherwise through intravenous drug sharing of needles. That's it. Avoid those things and you will be well protected.

There is no need for further concern nor for testing.

Andy Velez

Offline fovis

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 08:54:33 am »
  Thank you for the quick and to the point reply, was wondering the same stands for spiting? i have in work one person that spits while talking and some times he does it in my (and not only) face, he doesn't use condoms from what he is saying which makes me think he might be positive, am i in any danger if i say if he has some blood in mouth (from a wound in his mouth or a dental issue) and while talking and spiting it ends up in my eye? do you see any risk?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 09:44:14 am »
Fovis,

As Andy already told you, the only real risks an adult is likely to come across are unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse (or sharing needles).

Not only is saliva not infectious, but it also contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to infect. Not one person has EVER been infected through spitting or kissing. You are not going to be the first.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline fovis

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 11:55:26 am »
  Another Question occurred to me and i need your advice, for about 3 years i was living in my parents house until my house was finished so i moved (this happened on July 12 this Summer, i moved in my own house), my question, without knowing it and without caring i used to save and share my razors with my father, i was wondering assuming he has hiv, i say it cause i don't know his status, was i by any chance in danger? should i test at the 12 week point? i don't remember to save immediately after him or seeing any blood on my razors at any time, but the mind spins... so do i need to test over this? was i in danger? please answer me thank you!! I must tell that i tested at 16 of august (as part of blood donating).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 12:17:59 pm by fovis »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 12:37:02 pm »
Fovis,

As Andy already told you, the only real risks an adult is likely to come across are unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse (or sharing needles).

Not only is saliva not infectious, but it also contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to infect. Not one person has EVER been infected through spitting or kissing. You are not going to be the first.

Ann

We are not here to respond everytime you come up with another WHAT IF situation you think up. You've been told what the real risks for HIV are. And your father's old razorblades is not one of them. If you continue to return with these fanciful mind spin questions you are going to find yourself getting a Time Out from this site. Consider yourself warned.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 12:39:33 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline fovis

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 12:42:43 pm »
 Sorry Andy i didn't mean to frostrate you and i made my search before posting, finding a lot post about razors or barbers, the different on my situation that drove me to post was the duration of sharing my razors, again i am sorry if made y angry and thank you for your answer.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 05:39:31 pm »
Just keep it simple and get on with your life. It comes down to using condoms for vaginal and anal intercourse and not sharing needles intravenously. Yes, it really is just that simple. 
Andy Velez

Offline fovis

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 06:51:12 am »
 Hi all One fast question please, i was urinate last night in a toilet in a cafe, my question the water(assuming mixed with some infected blood or seemen from the guy before me) that splashed back on my foreskin (i am uncut) either from the toilet either from the toilet sit (my urine that hits and comes back) is by any chance a way of transmission?? you see any risk on what i described? thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 07:10:13 am by fovis »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 07:55:55 am »
■Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline fovis

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 08:02:15 am »
 I got it rapid y mean there was no risk at all and i should not ask this kind of Questions cause i will end up with a time out which of course i don't want!!! Thank you for your responce.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 08:54:39 am »
HIV is a fragile virus. It is not passed in the matter you are concerned about nor on any environmental surfaces such as doorknobs, food, hand to hand, toilet seats, toilet water and such.

As long you use condoms consistently for vaginal and anal intercourse you will be well protected against the sexual transmission of HIV. Now cut out the unnecessary drama and get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline fovis

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 03:56:13 am »
  Hi to all people here that are helping us so much and education us ever more!  Just so i know and ofc without wanting to gain a time out of the site, i wanted to ask something to the experts here, early i asked something about spiting (meaning receiving spiting from someone while he is talking to you in your eye) ofc with some blood mixed in it in my eye and the answer i got is that there is no way to happen, meaning there is not a risk of getting hiv, i wanted to ask if the same stands for a wound/scratch, meaning if someone spits on a wound or a scratch you have, does the same thinks apply as in the other answer i got? Again there is no risk? Thank y in advance!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 04:49:18 am »
■Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline fovis

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 04:53:42 am »
  Rapid when ever i see y answering, i am afraid the timeout is close, i got it, the no risk, i mean and i am sorry that i spend your time on a no risk situation.  I just thought it was a different think spiting in the eye with spiting on a scratch / wound, obvious the same thinks stands for both. Thank you for your time.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 08:25:11 am »
As Rod has told you, spitting is not a risk for HIV transmission. Nor for instance is getting globs of semen on your penis from some object like a toilet seat or even someone ejaculated on to you.

Again, it's a fragile virus and you should re-read what has been said to you about risks and non-risks.  On an ongoing basis you need to apply the information you have been given so that you are not running here every time you of another "but, what if..."

And I am going to warn you that if you continue to do that you are going to find yourself getting a Time Out from the site. Keep it simple as we suggested previously. 

Andy Velez

Offline fovis

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 02:13:13 am »
 I am folowing your advices and i am putting in my daily life all the information you provide here on the site and it is really helpfull, one question tho that i couldn't "answer" my self and i didn't found answered on the forums either (well i think so!!), where i work (at a cafe) i was cleaning (and i still do some times) the toilet (used by a lot every day) so by accident i came in touch with some used toilet paper, regardless the contact i should assume that the situation applies to the "rule" that air and small changes in temp and pH and moisture renders the virus unable to infect and also that no environmental surfaces / objects can infect?? or thinks are different when it has to do with toilets or toilet used papers? Meaning that it is impossible to be infected the way i described cause the fragile virus will be inactive way faster than it will get in contact with me?  i hope the clarification i need wont lead me out of site (time - out), and thank you.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 02:50:23 am »
NO environmental objects can infect.

Not a SINGLE one.

You Can ONLY be infected through unprotected vaginal or anal sex, or sharing IV drug needles.

The fact that we have said this over and over speaks loudly. You are being irrational.

Therefore, logic and reason are useless here. As is this site.

Please seek professional help in order to deal with your irrational fears. We absolutely cannot help you any more.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.