Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:33:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 228
Total: 231

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I don't get the Tea Party  (Read 32991 times)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
I don't get the Tea Party
« on: November 03, 2010, 07:02:33 am »
I am a registered Democrat and my candidates won. Yeah.

I don't understand the Tea Party. Any Tea Partiers in here? Is it just a new branch in the Republican Party?

I don't understand why it is a "populist" movement - but so against health care reform, for example.  It seems (to me) its really some kind of civil libertarian movement.

I dunno, I guess as a born and bred Democrat, I'll never really get the logic.  Could you be unemployed and still be a Tea Partier, this year?  Could you be uninsured and be a Tea Partier?  Could you be struggling for a secure present and future and be a Tea Partier? 

It reminds me of those California college students I met this summer in Europe. Who were such civil libertarians - universal health care??? Who needs that?  No clue whatsoever about how capitalism can make some peoples lives a pile crap and worry.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: I don't get the Tea Party
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 07:45:18 am »
First -- NO, I am not a Tea Partier.

However, their main tenets seem to be:

1.  Stop spending
2.  Cut taxes (TEA stands for Taxed Enough Already)
3.  If it isn't expliciting stated in the US Constitution, then the Federal Government can't do it -- only the states.

Of course, they then talk about getting back to god... so just like the current political parties they talk out of their mouths AND theirs ass at the same time.

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 10:40:43 am »
You might find this survey from a few months ago pretty interesting -- lots of detail about opinions of people who say they support the tea party

A New York Times/CBS News poll of backers of the emerging Tea Party movement shows that its supporters are more affluent and better educated than the general public. They tend to be white, male, and married. They are loyal Republicans, with conservative opinions on a variety of issues. And their strong opposition to the Obama administration is more rooted in political ideology than anxiety about their personal economic situation

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/04/14/us/politics/20100414-tea-party-poll-graphic.html?ref=politics
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 02:09:55 pm »
They tend to be white, male, and married. They are loyal Republicans, with conservative opinions on a variety of issues. And their strong opposition to the Obama administration is more rooted in political ideology than anxiety about their personal economic situation

Also, I always feel there is a lot of underlying racial prejudice involved....just sayin'   ???
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 03:06:43 pm »
I think it's hard for any one of us to identify with any conservative political movement for a couple of pretty basic reasons.  We're all minorities in one way or another and that is not who conservativism serves.  I'm a white male and southern which is the target for say republican or tea party ideals, but I'm also gay and hiv+.  I do have my conservative leanings, but most of them are financial.  This of course ignoring the fact that the republicans are no longer the party of fiscal responsibility.  Anyway, I could never be a part of a political movement that sought to broaden the financial gap between people, deny healthcare or education to anyone, or deny civil rights.  Those things are so ingrained in conservativism now I have no idea how those parties are still able to appeal to younger people.  If they ran on a platform of economic reform alone without all the gray social issues they might be a more desirable party to younger people, but they keep going further and further right and into insane territory.

Offline Lucky2behere

• Kick'n a bugs butt
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 03:34:59 pm »
I thought Tea bagging and Tea Partys were the same   ;)
March 2010 tested HIV Pos
probably infected 2.5 years
Sept.  2010 CD4 520 %24 vl 18,000
Nov.   2010 CD4 560    ?   vl  1,400
Dec. 5 2010 Started Truvada Isentress
Jan.  5 2011 CD4 380   ?    vl      63

Granny60

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 03:42:15 pm »

I dunno, I guess as a born and bred Democrat, I'll never really get the logic.

i clearly see your problem understanding mech...... it is the breeding and born Democrat part.  Tea baggers are conjurred up  by the witches in the coven and do not breed, hence your lack of understanding! ;D Now where did I hide the wooden stakes and silver bullets????
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 04:39:32 pm by Granny60 »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 03:51:54 pm »

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 04:04:17 pm »

Granny60

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 04:42:51 pm »
So the teabaggers and republicans  cried a river to get elected. Time will prove as in the past,  they still haven't fixed shit.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 04:53:44 pm »
So the teabaggers and republicans  cried a river to get elected. Time will prove as in the past,  they still haven't fixed shit.
Neither did the democrats. How did the DADT go? How did the gay marriage go? Simple promises that he couldn't even take care of.

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 04:58:22 pm »
My understanding off the tea party is that it angry right wing simplistic Christian and potentially very dangerous hopefully it will show itself as your basic ludicrous power drive by Sarah palim and co that will disintergrate under real responsibility and give us all a good laugh.
However listening to them on the BBC world service and sensing the Republican establishment  wanting to draw them in , they could be scary.
t
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline mecch

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 05:15:12 pm »
Well it would be nice if the dems would grow a set of balls and stand up for the party platform they have half-assed pursued.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 05:22:30 pm »
“Over the last generation,” the authors write, “more and more of the rewards of growth have gone to the rich and superrich. The rest of America, from the poor through the upper middle class, has fallen further and further behind.”

As if to underscore this theme, it was revealed last week (by David Cay Johnston, a Pulitzer Prize-winning former reporter for The New York Times), that the incomes of the very highest earners in the United States, a small group of individuals hauling in more than $50 million annually (sometimes much more), increased fivefold from 2008 to 2009, even as the nation was being rocked by the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.

Last year was a terrific year for those at the very top. Professors Hacker and Pierson note in their book that investors and executives at the nation’s 38 largest companies earned a stunning total of $140 billion — a record. The investment firm Goldman Sachs paid bonuses to its employees that averaged nearly $600,000 per person, its best year since it was founded in 1869.

Something has gone seriously haywire in the distribution of the fruits of the American economy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/02/opinion/02herbert.html?src=me&ref=homepage
Op-Ed Columnist
Fast Track to Inequality
By BOB HERBERT
Published: November 1, 2010

Granny60

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 05:37:34 pm »
Neither did the democrats. How did the DADT go? How did the gay marriage go? Simple promises that he couldn't even take care of.
So Roddy,  what do you think you will have if the republicans get rid of health care and make the gays all hide quaking under a rug because retaliation and retribution are the norm? The republican right wing wack jobs and the nut case Rand Paul have already said they would introduce legislation to repeal healthcare. >:(  Every side has to give and take. ;) Dems gave a little to get a lot done in a short while.  ;D Republicans  never have done shit but bitch because the democrats can run someone attractive and smart  enough to get a blow job and they can't,  started an expensive war both in $ and lives that can't find the weapons of mass destruction they claimed were there to start with; and then they bitch about expenses????? Give me a break! ::)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 06:38:55 pm »

Are those for John Boehner as he cries for the 27th time?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 06:55:43 pm »
Are those for John Boehner as he cries for the 27th time?
Nah it's for all the democratic liberals that lost their seats and for Obama.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 06:57:42 pm »
Nah it's for all the democratic liberals that lost their seats and for Obama.

Really?  I mean, you actually posted this?  I know you've been gone a while, but this seems to reek of someone just attempting to stir shit and calling it political discourse.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 07:01:10 pm »
Really?  I mean, you actually posted this?  I know you've been gone a while, but this seems to reek of someone just attempting to stir shit and calling it political discourse.
Really? You don't like it when people don't agree with you? Apparently you didn't see the election result. It seems that a whole hell of a lot of people didn't agree with you.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 07:04:53 pm »
Really? You don't like it when people don't agree with you? Apparently you didn't see the election result. It seems that a whole hell of a lot of people didn't agree with you.

You can refer to my previous post to which your reply has absolutely nothing to do in the way of a coherent conversation.

Offline Assurbanipal

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 07:11:25 pm »
... I do have my conservative leanings, but most of them are financial.  This of course ignoring the fact that the republicans are no longer the party of fiscal responsibility.  ...

Ahem -- there is a big perception vs reality issue here.  The fact is that republicans have not been the party of fiscal responsibility since before any of us were born including all but a few years of the early 20th century.  There's a handy chart somewhere that George Will (not exactly your bleeding heart liberal) was using over 20 years ago.  It shows that the actual fact is that the debt as a percent of GDP tends to increase under Republican Presidents and decrease under Democrats.  His explanation is that while Democrats may be the party of tax and spend, Republicans have for decades been the party of borrow and spend. 

You may of course say -- but what about RIGHT NOW?  Right now, the deficit is large primarily due to the recession bringing tax revenues down.  If you graph expenditures and taxes you will see that, even with the increases in government spending due to additional unemployment the spending line is continuing on its historical path (which we need to do something about)  The huge deficits are caused by a sudden change in the slope of the tax rates. http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/17/why-have-deficits-exploded/

And, like a typical Democratic President, Obama already has a bipartisan commission looking at ways to bring the deficit and debt down.
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2014 VL UD - 48

Offline ds4146

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 09:11:07 pm »
You can refer to my previous post to which your reply has absolutely nothing to do in the way of a coherent conversation.
I don't think you read the reply that he was responding too.....don't jump the gun. As for Johnny, who has time to count how many times he has cried? It could be better spent I am sure.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 09:55:30 pm »
This is hilarious, but hey teabaggers you still didn't get him out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QbNGnvBR7k

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 10:49:00 pm »
It will be interesting to see how things go with the Repub establishment and these tea-baggers--especially when the House has to raise the debt ceiling in the Spring.  I've had republican friends on facebook so happy and say we need to get spending under control.  Where were they when Bush and repubs increased gov't more since Johnson?  We can spend over $1 Trillion on a war of choice in Iraq that was not paid for and they don't blink an eye.  However, provide healthcare that will save $1 Trillion and all hell breaks loose. 

How do they plan to decrease spending?  Rand Paul talked about raising the retirement age early in the election, but pulled that back.  They want to keep the Bush tax cuts in place that were never paid for.  Those tax cuts have been in place for almost a decade and obviously don't work.  They don't want to cut defense.  So, where are the cuts coming from?  They like to talk about these $1 million dollar grants to science museums and the like.  However, that is pocket change in the big picture.  If they are serious about cutting spending, then they will have to raise taxes, cut defense and Medicare---3 things even the tea-baggers seem unwilling to do. 

In exit polls, it was older folks already on Medicare or getting close to being on it who most wanted healthcare repealed.  So, they want their healthcare but don't want anyone else to have it.  How generous of them! 

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 11:13:52 pm »
Frankly all this bickering about Repubs and Dems and who's right and who's wrong is just chatter in my opinion.

I worry about my brothers and sisters in the midst of the ADAP crisis, those who have just been kicked off or who are on waiting lists. Those who have to go to bed and wonder where they are going to get their Meds and If they are going to be alive next year. I  had high hopes for "change" under Obama and a Democratic Congress...but in 2 years very little has been done to address the ADAP problem, and I'm MAD over that! The Democrats have shown that they are going to do nothing to address this Crisis and it's obvious they dont intend to do anything about it (until maybe 3 years from now)so it's time for them to go!!

Will the Repubs do anything about it? Don't know but at least history shows that they've tried...Repub Pres (2006?) appropriated emergency funds to clear ADAP waiting lists...2010- 4 Repub senators submitted the The Access ADAP Act, also known as S.3401, which would have allocated $126 million to clear the waiting lists NOW, it fell on the deaf ears of a Democratic Pres and Congress and was never even acknowledged.

I'm not ashamed to be a one-issue man. I'm not Repub or Dem, I'm for a group who will help out my brothers and sisters. If I needed only one reason to fire the Democrats that would be it. I may feel the same about the Repubs in 2 years, but time will tell.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 11:18:34 pm »
Frankly all this bickering about Repubs and Dems and who's right and who's wrong is just chatter in my opinion.

I worry about my brothers and sisters in the midst of the ADAP crisis, those who have just been kicked off or who are on waiting lists. Those who have to go to bed and wonder where they are going to get their Meds and If they are going to be alive next year. I  had high hopes for "change" under Obama and a Democratic Congress...but in 2 years very little has been done to address the ADAP problem, and I'm MAD over that! The Democrats have shown that they are going to do nothing to address this Crisis and it's obvious they dont intend to do anything about it (until maybe 3 years from now)so it's time for them to go!!

Will the Repubs do anything about it? Don't know but at least history shows that they've tried...Repub Pres (2006?) appropriated emergency funds to clear ADAP waiting lists...2010- 4 Repub senators submitted the The Access ADAP Act, also known as S.3401, which would have allocated $126 million to clear the waiting lists NOW, it fell on the deaf ears of a Democratic Pres and Congress and was never even acknowledged.

I'm not ashamed to be a one-issue man. I'm not Repub or Dem, I'm for a group who will help out my brothers and sisters. If I needed only one reason to fire the Democrats that would be it. I may feel the same about the Repubs in 2 years, but time will tell.

-Will

Bravo!  I say we raise the price of the cookbook and we start to fund a "Will in 2012" campaign!

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 11:27:13 pm »

As if to underscore this theme, it was revealed last week (by David Cay Johnston, a Pulitzer Prize-winning former reporter for The New York Times), that the incomes of the very highest earners in the United States, a small group of individuals hauling in more than $50 million annually (sometimes much more), increased fivefold from 2008 to 2009, even as the nation was being rocked by the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.
I'm trying to figure out what these people could possibly be doing to earn this kind of money?  $50,000000 in one year for one person?  Isn't that like $12,000/hr, if they work 80 hours a week?

I'm with you, I don't get the Tea Party either, at all.
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2010, 01:25:31 am »
IMHO tea baggers are libertarians that just haven't been in a position where they needed to rely on gov't.  I see this as part of what we're likely to continue to see... interest groups increasingly irate about their share of the pie.  If the tea baggers make cuts that begin to drive the disabled into the streets, you will see the charge of the wheel chair brigade descend upon DC. 

The problem is that the US has been a pig at the trough for a long time.  The rest of the world has finally begun to demand their share (think China, India, Brazil, etc.)  I see no way the US can compete against the rest of the world and maintain the middle class as we have known it.  In time the pie will grow larger for all, but in the short run, it's our time to feel some pain.  Unfortunately, Americans seem to be so oblivious to their relative wealth, they continue to delude themselves that with the right tinkering, the government can make things go back to 2005.  Tea baggers are an "each man for himself" party and screw the rest of the country... real patriots!  IMHO this is the time we need just the opposite... the German strategy of spreading the pain across society to limit the number that end up in total financial ruin.

Commodity inflation will eventually make us all poorer and that's just something we better get used to... being happy with what you need, not what you want.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 01:27:40 am by MitchMiller »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2010, 07:48:17 am »
One thing you will never see is a teabagger cut up his medicaid card or surrender his benefits and enter the free market they all adore.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2010, 11:58:21 pm »
This is a great example of what to expect from the tea-baggers.  Bill Maher showed this video last Friday.  He pointed out that progressives don't act this way.  This video is a great example of how repubs/tea-baggers feel.  I had a family member who said people on unemployment for more than a couple months were just lazy.  He said they should get a job at McDonald's.  I said, "First of all, unemployment is called unemployment insurance for a reason.  It is not a hand-out.  Secondly, you would have the bread winner of a family give up benefits he/she has earned to go work at McDonald's, which would cause them to loose their house, car, and money for kids?"  They would end up on welfare--if they could get it. 

Anyway, here is the terrible video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_PX5L_v_7I&feature=related

Granny60

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2010, 12:08:40 pm »
Asshole teabagger should  quit what he is doing and go get that job a McDonalds and see how long he can maintain his wonderful lifestyle of nice home, insurance and gas hog SUV.  Prick would be crying the instant he saw his first paycheck.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2010, 12:52:11 pm »
Asshole teabagger should  quit what he is doing and go get that job a McDonalds and see how long he can maintain his wonderful lifestyle of nice home, insurance and gas hog SUV.  Prick would be crying the instant he saw his first paycheck.
There are not enough jobs since a lot of the democratics are going to be pushing to the front of the lines at the unemployment office. Bush didn't  have anything to do with this midterm elections and there weren't enough teaparty people to pull this off. So as Obama admitted Wednesday he takes full responsibilty for the election results, which is rightly so. Let's bring up the trip to Asia, and your concerns about ADAP funding. How much money will be spent on this trip and will it be a failure like the pitch for the Olympics? Like with the elections we'll have to wait and see.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2010, 01:08:09 pm »
Let's bring up the trip to Asia, and your concerns about ADAP funding. How much money will be spent on this trip and will it be a failure like the pitch for the Olympics? Like with the elections we'll have to wait and see.

It's amazing how much of a sucker for propaganda you always are.  Reminds me of your hatchet job with Gov. Rendell's fictitious baby killing factory in Harrisburg.  Why anyone here doesn't dismiss 110% of your political posts is beyond me (oh wait, most people do!)

http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201011040049

(also see related links below the clip)

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2010, 02:04:06 pm »
It's amazing how much of a sucker for propaganda you always are.  Reminds me of your hatchet job with Gov. Rendell's fictitious baby killing factory in Harrisburg.  Why anyone here doesn't dismiss 110% of your political posts is beyond me (oh wait, most people do!)

http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201011040049

(also see related links below the clip)
Don't cry Ms P because your state flipped.  :)

Offline Assurbanipal

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2010, 03:43:02 pm »

-Will

I fear I don't believe you are without political motives.  Because, you see, if you really look at the last two years without blinders what happened in reality is this:

1) In 2009 the Ryan White care act was reauthorized.  It passed the Senate unanimously, but in the House there were 9 votes against it.  Surprising no-one (else) all 9 nay votes were by Republicans.  In fact, 4 of those Republicans were from Texas. 

2) This Senate maneuver looks suspiciously like show-boating.  The bill introduced by Burns has only 5 Senators signed on to it -- all Republicans and none in the leadership; there is no corresponding bill in the House.  If a Senator really wants to make a change in the law they go for co-sponsors; and it is really quite peculiar that Burns didn't get his fellow NC senator (who is also on the HELP committee) as a co-sponsor from the other party.  It indicates a certain lack of commitment to the bill.

3) You make no mention of the letter in the House, signed by 75 Democrats and 1 (and only one) Republican which was sent to the Administration and actually got them to free up $20 million in additional monies.

4) And you seem to ignore the fact that federal funding went up for ADAP this year , even before the extra $20 million, while state funding declined on average by a third.  NASTAD (which is a collection of state employees), tries its best to disguise this fact in its published reports, pointing out that the federal dollars did not go up enough (true -- but they were 35% or more in the right direction than the States) and suggesting that the States reduced funding due to budget problems with Medicaid.  But who stood in the way of additional stimulus money for State Medicaid?... well, that would be Senate Republicans...

5) Finally, since this is driven by State choices about where to reduce funding, perhaps it would make sense to look at the States that have implemented waiting lists and look at which party controls that State.  Something tells me the answer is likely to swing pretty red there also, although a careful analysis would need to look at both the governor and legislature control. 

Frankly, the Administration can and should do more to push support for ADAP through Congress.  But the indirect efforts they have taken to date to relieve pressure on State budgets have been frustrated by Senate Republicans.  To argue that this fig leaf of a bill in the Senate, supported by almost none of the Republicans and not actively pushed by its sponsors somehow gives Republicans a free pass is either naive or disingenuous.
2014 VL UD - 48

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2010, 04:26:19 pm »
Don't cry Ms P because your state flipped.  :)

Is that the best you can do after another of your factually challenged assertions?  Typical trolling, and pathetic.

ps: hats off to Assurbanipal, including many points I've tried repeatedly to make about the current ADAP crisis the past four or so months none of which seems to gain much traction, or is fo only for five minutes.  Fortunately his post there was more succinct than what I've attempted.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 04:31:28 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2010, 06:40:17 pm »
Is that the best you can do after another of your factually challenged assertions? Typical trolling, and pathetic.

ps: hats off to Assurbanipal, including many points I've tried repeatedly to make about the current ADAP crisis the past four or so months none of which seems to gain much traction, or is fo only for five minutes.  Fortunately his post there was more succinct than what I've attempted.
Is it not a fact Ms P that Pennsylvania flipped to Republican?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and-video/video/2010/11/03/presidential-press-conference
Pay particular attention to the question answer section of Obama'a White House Press Conference.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2010, 06:42:49 pm »
***blathertrolling***

Please retract your transparently partisan right wing hack assertion made at 12:52:11 PM

Wall Street Journal

Fuzzy Math Dogs Obama’s Asia Trip

By Jonathan Weisman

As if Tuesday’s shellacking wasn’t enough, President Barack Obama is getting pilloried by the right on the cost of his 10-day trip to Asia, with outlandish hyperventilation going directly from suspect Indian media reports to conservative U.S. media outlets and commentators without a pause for fact-checking.

First, the Press Trust of India reported that Mr. Obama’s entourage would be spending $200 million a day for two days in India, a claim that was quickly repeated last night by Rep. Michele Bachmann (R., Minn.) on CNN. White House spokesman Tommy Vietor said, “The numbers reported in this article have no basis in reality,” and are “wildly inflated,” but “due to security concerns,” he would not offer an alternative price tag.

Snopes.com, a website devoted to myth busting, noted that even if the Indian press has correctly reported the size of the president’s entourage – 3,000 – the cost would work out to $66,000 per person per day, “a figure that stretches credulity to the breaking point.” Factcheck.org noted that the entire war in Afghanistan costs $190 million a day.

But the report is demonstrably incorrect. It says the White House had blocked off the entire Taj Mahal Hotel in Mumbai – it hasn’t – and that the press traveling with Mr. Obama will be staying there. We won’t. Besides, the press pays its own way at considerable cost to the media outlets, not the U.S. taxpayer.

Now a new rumor has emerged courtesy of India’s NDTV. Mr. Obama, the outlet says, “will be protected by a fleet of 34 warships, including an aircraft carrier, which will patrol the sea lanes off the Mumbai coast.” The White House called that ridiculous. But on the conservative Drudge Report website, it’s on the home page – in huge type.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 06:44:56 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline mecch

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2010, 07:06:16 pm »
And he and his 1000 number entourage will be transported on diamond bedazzled elephants, thousands of kilometers across highways strewn with rose petals, all paid for by the White House.  They are all staying in luxury suites in the best Indian palaces.  blah blah blah blah
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 07:13:06 pm by mecch »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2010, 07:15:31 pm »
Please retract your transparently partisan right wing hack assertion made at 12:52:11 PM

Wall Street Journal

Fuzzy Math Dogs Obama’s Asia Trip

By Jonathan Weisman

As if Tuesday’s shellacking wasn’t enough, President Barack Obama is getting pilloried by the right on the cost of his 10-day trip to Asia, with outlandish hyperventilation going directly from suspect Indian media reports to conservative U.S. media outlets and commentators without a pause for fact-checking.

First, the Press Trust of India reported that Mr. Obama’s entourage would be spending $200 million a day for two days in India, a claim that was quickly repeated last night by Rep. Michele Bachmann (R., Minn.) on CNN. White House spokesman Tommy Vietor said, “The numbers reported in this article have no basis in reality,” and are “wildly inflated,” but “due to security concerns,” he would not offer an alternative price tag.

Snopes.com, a website devoted to myth busting, noted that even if the Indian press has correctly reported the size of the president’s entourage – 3,000 – the cost would work out to $66,000 per person per day, “a figure that stretches credulity to the breaking point.” Factcheck.org noted that the entire war in Afghanistan costs $190 million a day.

But the report is demonstrably incorrect. It says the White House had blocked off the entire Taj Mahal Hotel in Mumbai – it hasn’t – and that the press traveling with Mr. Obama will be staying there. We won’t. Besides, the press pays its own way at considerable cost to the media outlets, not the U.S. taxpayer.

Now a new rumor has emerged courtesy of India’s NDTV. Mr. Obama, the outlet says, “will be protected by a fleet of 34 warships, including an aircraft carrier, which will patrol the sea lanes off the Mumbai coast.” The White House called that ridiculous. But on the conservative Drudge Report website, it’s on the home page – in huge type.

Did Penn. flip or not?. Did I say how much the trip cost? No, I said we will have to wait and see.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2010, 07:28:28 pm »
Still moving the goal posts I see and trying to make your faulty, erroneous statement about someone (or something) else.  A simple reading by anyone here can see what you're doing (and attempt to do all of the time).

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2010, 07:41:01 pm »
Still moving the goal posts I see and trying to make your faulty, erroneous statement about someone (or something) else.  A simple reading by anyone here can see what you're doing (and attempt to do all of the time).
I do believe Ms P you have got it all backwards. Enjoy your stay in your newly Republican state.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2010, 07:49:57 pm »
Roddles, you either have a very low IQ, dementia or you sniff glue all day. First you made a comment that we can't afford to fully fund ADAP because Obama is making a trip to India.  I point out that this is erroneous information being sent out in a concerted manner by right wing blowhards like Beck, Limbaugh, etc which, as usual, you lap up without any sort of independent analysis (complete with factual links), then you try and move the goal posts with a comment about the election results in the state I live in, something that has no bearing at all on what's being discussed.

In short, you're a troll.  And not a particularly compelling or savvy one at that. I'm going with "sniffs glue" if it's any consolation.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2010, 07:55:35 pm »
Roddles, you either have a very low IQ, dementia or you sniff glue all day. First you made a comment that we can't afford to fully fund ADAP because Obama is making a trip to India.  I point out that this is erroneous information being sent out in a concerted manner by right wing blowhards like Beck, Limbaugh, etc which, as usual, you lap up without any sort of independent analysis (complete with factual links), then you try and move the goal posts with a comment about the election results in the state I live in, something that has no bearing at all on what's being discussed.

In short, you're a troll.  And not a particularly compelling or savvy one at that. I'm going with "sniffs glue" if it's any consolation.
I'll forgive you Ms P.  :)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2010, 08:24:23 pm »
I fear I don't believe you are without political motives.  Because, you see, if you really look at the last two years without blinders what happened in reality is this:

Political Motives? Frankly I could care less about who was in power for the last 2 years whether it be Obama, Bush or Mother Theresa...the Fact is that ADAP is still in crisis, and ultimately the responsibility lies at the feet of the current Congress and current President. Period.

BTW, I voted for Bush, AND I voted for Obama.

You can lay out as many points as you wish however it doesnt change the fact that there are still upwards of 3000 people on ADAP waiting lists, and the fact remains that under the Democratic Congress very little would change. Did I absolutey state unequivocally that the Repubs would take care of this? No I did not. Re read my post.

Sure the Dems got some money freed up for ADAP, but If you recognize that $25million is necessary to provide a quality of life and access to drugs for "some" people why the hell wouldn't you do the full $126million and take care of everybody on the list? This is the crap that pisses me off.  Oh and this wonderful "Test and Treat" initiative, it should be called "Test and put you on the back burner cause we will not fund ADAP and we cannot even get the current people waiting on Meds" While I applaud the T&T initiative, I laugh because there are no means to "treat" the people. Do they think we are stupid? Apparently so.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2010, 08:27:48 pm »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2010, 11:55:59 pm »
If you want to solve the ADAP crisis, you must look to each state and their contributions to the program. The reason there are waiting lists, is NOT because of Congress or the president, it is because of states that cut their funding. If all state funding for ADAP had remained stable over the past few years, there would be no waiting lists. Check the facts and you will find that states like Florida, have purposely reduced their formulary, while changing eligibility so they provide fewer drugs to fewer patients. This has nothing to do with Washington, but everything to do with local state government. If you really want change, you need to understand what the problem is and exactly who can fix it.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2010, 01:23:01 am »
BTW, I voted for Bush, AND I voted for Obama.

-Will

Yeah I'm guessing you did the Bush thing back in 2000.

You see people, this is why we can't have nice things. ::)

MtD

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2010, 02:05:28 am »
Yeah I'm guessing you did the Bush thing back in 2000.

You see people, this is why we can't have nice things. ::)

MtD

Well surely no one was stupid enough to vote for him twice, right?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.