Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:26:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773293
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 668
Total: 668

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Time Person Of the Year  (Read 6283 times)

Offline tednlou2

Time Person Of the Year
« on: December 11, 2013, 01:15:34 am »
It will be announced on the Today Show Wednesday morning.  Anyone have any bets?  I think either Pope Francis or Snowden.  Snowden has certainly impacted the news.  I know the elderly woman who brought the DOMA case is also being considered.  While huge, I don't think that will make it.  May be pleasantly surprised, though. 

Ok, so I posted this also on Facebook.  As soon as I hit post, I immediately got 2 friend requests.  I mean instantly.  Both were very young looking girls.  One profile said she was from Russia.  Anyone else think that's more than a coincidence?  They obviously don't know me too well, or they would have tempted me with young hot guys.  My file must not be complete.  I did recently read we all have a file...every single one of us.  But, they must be behind on mine..lol. 

Anyway, back on topic.  Who do you feel shaped the news and world most in 2013?

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: Time Person Of the Year
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 08:02:49 am »

Ok, so I posted this also on Facebook.  As soon as I hit post, I immediately got 2 friend requests.  I mean instantly.  Both were very young looking girls.  One profile said she was from Russia.  Anyone else think that's more than a coincidence?  They obviously don't know me too well, or they would have tempted me with young hot guys.  My file must not be complete.  I did recently read we all have a file...every single one of us.  But, they must be behind on mine..lol. 

So -- are you saying that the Gov't is trying to "get you" because you put Snowden's name on your Facebook page?  I'm not really following this.........??

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 08:12:26 am »
City buses in Washington DC have "Thank you Snowden" posters on them:

http://rt.com/usa/thank-you-snowden-buses-311/
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 09:55:37 am »
PAPPA FRANNY! yay!

At least it's not Miley ::)
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 12:29:04 pm »
So -- are you saying that the Gov't is trying to "get you" because you put Snowden's name on your Facebook page?  I'm not really following this.........??

You act totally shocked someone would be suspicious.  I rarely ever get friend requests from total strangers.  Could be a coincidence, but it is not like they aren't monitoring for key words and phrases. 

Anyway, I was right about Pope Francis.  I do think he has changed so much and created so much dialogue and debate.  He is causing many Catholics to return to the church.  He has many repubs calling him all sorts of names.  He has caused this atheist to consider going to midnight mass this Christmas with the family, like they do every year.   

Offline buginme2

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 12:44:02 pm »
I vote Pope Francis.

I went to a Catholic Jesuit university for college.  It's very refreshing to see a Jesuit as Pope.   The Jesuit arm of the Catholic Church is IMHO is the premier force in the world for the betterment of the poor and otherwise disenfranchised.  He is awesome.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 01:52:00 pm »
As refreshing as Pope Francis happens to be, he still leads one of most medieval organizations in the world and old habits die hard.  When the church allows women to serve equally with men, I will be impressed.  When the church admits that it has a pedophile problem and works proactively to rid every last one from their midst, I will be impressed.  When the church admits the pain and devastation it supported by rallying against the use of condoms to curb disease, I will be impressed.  When the church admits the abhorrent way it has treated all non-straight people, I will be impressed.

Just because he changes the tone of the conversation, does not mean that the church is going to change its behavior.  I am still waiting to see if he can reform the church with actions and not just with flowery speech.

Joe
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 01:56:18 pm by Joe K »

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 02:19:01 pm »
As refreshing as Pope Francis happens to be, he still leads one of most medieval organizations in the world and old habits die hard.  When the church allows women to serve equally with men, I will be impressed.  When the church admits that it has a pedophile problem and works proactively to rid every last one from their midst, I will be impressed.  When the church admits the pain and devastation it supported by rallying against the use of condoms to curb disease, I will be impressed.  When the church admits the abhorrent way it has treated all non-straight people, I will be impressed.

Just because he changes the tone of the conversation, does not mean that the church is going to change its behavior.  I am still waiting to see if he can reform the church with actions and not just with flowery speech.

Joe

Fair criticism.  He has a mountain to cross.  He is young enough to be around for at least 20 years, so hopefully he continues to make progress in changing the priorities to the poor and sick and not silly things like condom use.  I hope it doesn't take nearly that long, because the changes are needed now. 

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 06:11:07 pm »
You act totally shocked someone would be suspicious.  I rarely ever get friend requests from total strangers.  Could be a coincidence, but it is not like they aren't monitoring for key words and phrases. 

Suspicious that they are monitoring for keywords -- not shocking. 
Suspicious that they sent friend requests from Russian girls in order to "get you" -- well, that borders on tin foil hat territory, IMO.  Perhaps -- I'm going out on a limb here -- you have been hacked (millions have) -- but I get friend requests from folks I don't know fairly regularly - and I haven't mentioned Snowden's name (oops -- let's see if those girls start hitting on me).   ;)

Offline buginme2

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 06:52:49 pm »

Joe
But the article is for person of the year not organization of the year.   Even more reason for him to win. 

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 06:55:14 pm »
I was kind of hoping the CEO for Wal Mart would get it...  ;)
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline mitch777

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 07:08:03 pm »
I was kind of hoping the CEO for Wal Mart would get it...  ;)
Maybe next year. So sad. :( lol.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Dan0

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 07:09:34 pm »
Below quote from finalist for 'Person of the Year' Edith Windsor from www.joemygod.com

"I am honored that Time chose me as one of the number 3 individuals in the top 5 nominees for ‘Person of the Year,’ but I am just one person who was part of the extraordinary and on-going fight for marriage equality for all our families. There are thousands of people who helped us come this far and we still have a lot more work to do. The gay community is my ‘person of the year’ and I look forward to continuing to fight for equal rights and educate the public about our lives alongside my gay brothers and sisters and our allies. Even without taking the ‘Person of the Year’ even being in the top 5 is an extraordinary way to end a year that has been historic for all of us and truly spectacular for me and gave me the chance to tell my story via Time through an interview and audio interview with photo slideshow. Thea would be thrilled, proud and so happy to see what we have all accomplished together." - Edith Windsor, via email.

"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
10/2013 Stribild Still UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline mitch777

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 07:13:37 pm »
Sweet.^
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 07:16:31 pm »
Suspicious that they are monitoring for keywords -- not shocking. 
Suspicious that they sent friend requests from Russian girls in order to "get you" -- well, that borders on tin foil hat territory, IMO.  Perhaps -- I'm going out on a limb here -- you have been hacked (millions have) -- but I get friend requests from folks I don't know fairly regularly - and I haven't mentioned Snowden's name (oops -- let's see if those girls start hitting on me).   ;)

This debate is actually on topic, since Snowden came in second.  We have learned so much how our goverment operates.  It is like the NSA has become its own branch of government.  I do wonder whether the president really didn't know many of these things.  Of course, plausible deniability is good for presidents.  But, many think they just did these things on their own and the president was lied to. 

If they can scan key words (and they can and do), then why is it far-fetched a computer algorithm could notice I've mention Snowden many times and decided to send me friend requests hoping I would engage with this RUSSIAN girl.  I have used many words lately like terrorist, blowing up, assassination (in relation to the JFK anniversary) and who knows what else.  I have mentioned Putin.

It probably is a complete coincidence.  I was half joking, but given how pervasive the spying and gathering is, I just have no idea.  Am I worried about me?  No.  Worried they are getting out of hand (now spying on gamers in underwear)?  Yes.  Many would have laughed at gamers and asked why do they think the nsa would be concerned with some gamers still living at home and sharting their underwear.  So, I was mostly making a joke, but it is a shame we do have to wonder about these things.  Just for the record, I don't subscribe to websites and feeds from sites about spying.  I don't have it as a cause.  I usually tell people they should just expect it.  Please don't think I sit around worrying about this.   :) :) :)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 07:45:50 pm »
  I have used many words lately like terrorist, blowing up, assassination (in relation to the JFK anniversary) and who knows what else.  I have mentioned Putin.

It probably is a complete coincidence.

Oh honey no...they are totally watching you.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Dan0

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 08:17:31 pm »

I have mentioned Putin.

So long as you haven't mentioned the Snow-Trollop PALIN, we're GOOD!
"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
10/2013 Stribild Still UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 08:31:55 pm »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.