Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:33:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 476
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 452
Total: 452

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: delayed seroconversion?  (Read 8210 times)

Offline terran

delayed seroconversion?
« on: April 24, 2007, 10:26:01 pm »
Hi everybody.

A couple weeks after a regretted incident I developed a splotchy rash. Didn't think much of it, then I started losing weight. I was at 240, now at 210. I am also experiencing what seems to be thrush. It gets kinda heavy, then I brush for like 30 min and mouthwash. And it will return in a couple days. I have also been getting staph boils, and styes. Which could be a sign of a weakened immune system. Though I tested negative at the 6 month mark.
Question is, how many people test neg at 6 months, and then positive in say 1 year?
I have also been getting a bumpy rash on my left arm. I'm a bit confused.

Offline terran

Re: delayed seroconversion?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 11:02:35 pm »
And my lymph nodes have been getting sore in my neck. Sometimes my right one will be sore for a day or two, then my left and vice versa.

Question is to the positive members, how long did it take you to turn positive? Did you know that something was going on?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 05:21:07 am »
terran,

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six WEEKS. The three month window period exists merely to catch the rare person who takes slightly longer than six WEEKS to produce enough antibodies to test positive.

You tested negative far outside the window period and this means you are without doubt hiv negative.

See your doctor about what's troubling you physically. Other than knowing it has nothing to do with hiv, we cannot help you further. You need to see your doctor to get to the bottom of what is going on.

You are conclusively hiv negative.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline terran

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 09:00:03 pm »
Ok, these white patches don't go away on the inside of my cheeks. I have recently developed small pimples on my nose. Maybe a staph infection. And my vision has recently been getting blurry, I have to blink my eyes a bunch to kinda correct the problem.

So, if my symptoms were related, would the antibody test picked it up with a symptomatic individual nearly 7 months exposure? I tested neg with a antibody and nat on the 18th. Which was 6 months 18 days. Wouldn't it of caught it by then, or is hiv a slow process that takes much more time before it can be detected with modern testing protocalls?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 09:18:32 pm »
Terran,

You are not HIV positive. End of story. You tested negative at 6 months which is more than sufficient to satisfy the window period requirement.

You are not a delayed seroconverter. If you were you wouldn't be sitting around asking questions on Teh Interwebs about AIDS, you'd be very ill in a hospital somewhere. Only a tiny proportion of people with very specific conditions don't show antibodies beyond the 13 week mark and I can assure you that you ain't one of them.

As for your symptoms, well you've already received the good oil about that from Ann. We cannot help you with your non-HIV related problems. You need to see your doctor about those.

MtD

Offline terran

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 09:54:40 pm »
So, what you're saying in a nutshell, is that an infected individual is usually in the hospital by the 7 month mark? I really understand what your sayin man. But just TRY to hear me out. Please.
So, yall that have allready tested positive, did you just know what was goin on when you took the test?
I just don't understand where the data came from as far as the 6 month rule. Seems kinda early to me. I was always told that god has a funny sence of humor. But I really can't seem to move on with myself as I see this stuff goin on with my body.
What really gets me, is I asked the woman that I was with if she had it, and told her my symptoms. She said "I hope its not too painful for you"
So try to hear me out. I really don't have anybody to talk to with these issues.

My question is for yall that had a positive test. What led you to be tested in the first place? Did you start experiencing things that have never happened to you?

I don't want to blow up the forums. But this is a bit devastating for me.

And doesn't current treatment allow for people to live a normal lifespan. Even with all the late breaking drugs?

I know I need to visit a doc, but try to hear me out. 6 months just seems early.

Ill pray to the good lord to look after everyone on aidsmeds.com

Say a prayer for me too if you would.

Love yall.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 10:12:38 pm »
So, what you're saying in a nutshell, is that an infected individual is usually in the hospital by the 7 month mark? I really understand what your sayin man. But just TRY to hear me out. Please.

No, what I'm saying is:

You are not HIV positive.

You read that, right?

My question is for yall that had a positive test. What led you to be tested in the first place? Did you start experiencing things that have never happened to you?

Matty the Damned does not normally discuss his stuff with Worried Wells but it seems appropriate here.

I reported risky sexual behaviour to my GP. In particular, lots of unprotected insertive and receptive anal sex. As a matter of course she had me tested for HIV antibodies. The test came back positive.

I had no symptoms of anything. I didn't feel ill.

I engaged in risky sexual behaviours over a long period and contracted HIV.

It's that simple.

MtD

Offline terran

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 10:23:06 pm »
So, this is my last post.
What I want to know, is of the thousands of folks that post with their concerns. How mant of them do you consider might be harboring the virus from the things they tell you are happening to them?
Have you ever told someone that they should consider testing in another 6 months just to be sure?
Where did this 6 month information come from?
If a person tested negative at 6 months, but experienced everything associated with it, that we've learned about in the last 25 years.. Should that person be convinced that they have nothing to worry about?

Confused, confused..

Take it one day at a time, and don't stop loving yourself. That's what I tell myself, and it seems to be working, if it turns out that I really am positive. Fuck it, it is what it is.

The sun will still set, and the moon will still orbit with me here or not. Enjoy the experience.

Take it easy yall.

Ill write in 3 months.

Much love.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 10:50:31 pm »
The CDC's old guideline was testing out to 6 months for a conclusive test and in 2001 it was changed to 3 months except for the rare cases of people that are on illegal IV drugs, people on chemo, persons on antirejection drugs for transplants and persons with a severe depleted immune system.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 06:27:28 am »
Terran,

The six month window period is a left-over from the early days of the pandemic when we didn't know much about the virus. Hiv has been with us for over twenty-five years and we know a lot more about it now.

One of the things we now know is that the VAST majority of people will seroconvert and test positive by six WEEKS. Not months, WEEKS. The window period now stands at three months to catch the rare person who take a little longer than six WEEKS to test positive.

You are hiv negative, without doubt. See your doctor about your symptoms - you have ruled hiv out as a possible cause. There are other illnesses out there, so get to the doctor.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline terran

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 10:32:53 pm »
Alright yall. The past couple weeks my neck nodes have been hurtin.
So, if it turns out I do become positive. Then a person just has to buckle down and say fuck it. There's people still alive and well from the 80's, probably healthier than a lot of negatives. Just been doin a lot of thinking, as it has really impacted my life.
We have the capabilities to provide a reasonably normal lifespan for hiv positive people, so who's to say one can't outlive the other? This has really been a reality check. I have allready quit smoking, and plan to start eating better.
I use to think about and be scared of hiv all day everyday, when I would see the white spots in mu mouth, then noticed staphyollocus on my hair follicles. But now I just say fuck it, smile and try to forget about it. If I do turn positive in the future, I sure as hell won't beat it with a bad attitude.

So, everybody. Its nice to have someone to talk to about this. I can't share it with anyone else.

Hiv or not, you gotta be happy and love yourself.

Remember everybody. Fuck it!!!
We have the capabilities to treat it, and live a normal lifespan.

Have a good attitude and love yourself.

Had to vent, I feel better now.

Much love.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 10:36:00 pm »
We have the capabilities to treat it, and live a normal lifespan.

Terran,

You leap way ahead of yourself, my son. You're not going to test positive. You don't have HIV. Your nodes are swollen because you keep prodding them. Prodded nodes swell.

Stop prodding your nodes and get on with your life.

MtD

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 10:43:11 pm »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 10:45:06 pm »
Terran,

If you know what's good for you, you'll read carefully that last post by Roddles.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.