Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:42:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773290
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 697
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 681
Total: 681

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Reviving the Immune System  (Read 7043 times)

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
Reviving the Immune System
« on: August 21, 2006, 11:30:29 am »
Very interesting article in the Wall Street Journal today.  I dont have access to the web version, but I did read the hardcopy version this.  Here is the link.

http://online.wsj.com/public/health?mod=0_0005

edited because medicines are screwing with my brain as usual.

Also edited to add... the more i read this post the more i realize how frigging ridiculous it was of me to post it.  You cant access it.  Im sorry guys, the medicines are REALLY messing with my head today, im not thinking clearly!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 12:09:08 pm by ACinKC »
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline ACinKC

Re: Reviving the Immune System
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 03:27:51 pm »
Well... I tried to report myself to the Moderators to get this thread deleted as it is of NO value.  And you just spent 35 seconds of your life that you will NEVER get back reading this MUNDANE nonsense that hints at a wonderful idea and yet goes nowhere!

Anyway, when I tried to report myself to a moderator I got THIS Error!

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense! 

As goes this post.  Maybe I'll continue to post a bunch of nonsense here.

What kind of panties? How many licks does it take for a dog to get a teaspoon of peanut butter off the roof of his mouth?  Saxophone.  3 feet tall with red hair.  Thank you.
RIDE!!!

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 03:34:27 pm »
Hey ACinKC:

Do not get rid of this topic. Someone could have subscription...

Alex

Poz since Jul 19 2006
Initial numbers : CD4-250 VL 3500
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Started HAART: Combivir+Efavirenz Aug 26 7:38 pm
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
February 17 Combivir stopped.
April 3 -07 : Started ddi+3tc+efavirenz...
Gay and positive (What a lack of Identity...:) )
Looking for my Ben....

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 03:43:10 pm »
I have a sub..    

Immune System Might Be Revived
To Fight AIDS, Studies Say
By MARK SCHOOFS
August 21, 2006; Page B1

A spirited race between top immunology teams is set to culminate today with the publication of two scientific papers reaching broadly similar conclusions about the AIDS virus: It exploits the human body's natural mechanism for shutting down the immune system, and the process can be reversed.

The findings raise the tantalizing possibility that doctors one day could switch a patient's immune system back on, so that it could resume its fight against HIV, or even cancer cells, certain parasites or the virus that causes hepatitis C. Those very different diseases "have one common denominator," says Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases. "They persist. They're chronic."

The studies, published in the journal Nature and its sister journal, Nature Medicine, build on almost 15 years of work by other researchers, including Kyoto University Prof. Tasuku Honjo, who in the early 1990s discovered a molecule, which he named PD-1, on the surface of disease-fighting T-cells. Subsequent research revealed that PD-1 is a natural regulator of the human immune system, acting like a brake on rampaging T-cells and potentially preventing them from attacking the body itself.

The latest findings are preliminary, and there isn't any way to predict whether this avenue of research will ever yield new treatments. And there's one more blazing caveat: Switching the immune system back on -- the most obvious treatment strategy -- might trigger autoimmune disease. Scientists currently studying PD-1 are sobered by the shocking experience of a German drug company's clinical trial conducted in London in March, in which six healthy volunteer patients received an experimental drug to stimulate the immune system and landed in intensive care, their lives in the balance, because the drug sent their immune systems into massive overdrive.

Nevertheless, research in this area is exploding. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is funding a team researching how to turn the immune system back on in hepatitis C patients. Researchers at the National Institutes of Health are studying PD-1 in tuberculosis, one of the world's leading killers.

"This isn't just HIV," says Harvard University immunologist Bruce Walker, the lead researcher on the study published in Nature. "This is much broader."

Research has progressed furthest in cancer, where scientists have shown that PD-1 can shut down immune responses when it is activated by certain types of tumor cells. Last month, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved human testing of an experimental antibody designed to reverse the shutdown and permit the immune system to resume fighting cancer cells. The experimental drug is being developed by Medarex Inc., of Princeton, N.J., and Ono Pharmaceutical Co., of Japan.

When a virus or other pathogen enters the body, immune-system cells multiply furiously and send out potent chemicals, called cytokines, which cause inflammation. "When you get the flu, for example, you feel sick not so much because of the virus, but because of the immune system -- that's what gives you the aches and fevers," explains Drew Pardoll, an immunologist at Johns Hopkins University who has studied PD-1. Left unchecked, the raging immune response, including an excess of cytokines, could damage the body.

In a simple infection, such as the flu, the immune system apparently does its job and subsides. But if a pathogen isn't quickly cleared out, as in the case of chronic disease, then PD-1 goes to work and shuts down production of key types of immune-system cells. Much of this basic understanding was achieved only late last year in a study published in Nature and led by Emory University Prof. Rafi Ahmed and a student of his at the time, Daniel Barber.

The research being published today goes further to address one of the most vexing mysteries in the biology of AIDS. Key immune-system cells known as HIV-specific CD8 killer T-cells exist in high numbers in many HIV-infected patients. Early in the course of the infection, these cells kill other cells carrying the virus. But in long-term patients, these cells barely fight the virus at all. The reigning theory was that HIV somehow disabled them. That may still be true in part, but today's studies reveal that HIV actually exploits the body's own mechanism for shutting the cells down.

The PD-1 molecule buds on the surface of the killer T-cells that target HIV. By itself, PD-1 is inert and does nothing. But when PD-1 encounters a partner molecule, or ligand, the interaction sets off a chain reaction inside the killer T-cells. The T-cells multiply much more slowly or not at all, and overall they secrete far less of their powerful cytokines, the researchers found. Essentially, they abandon the fight.

The most dramatic finding is that the process can be reversed, at least in a test tube. When researchers added an antibody that blocked the interaction between PD-1 and its ligand, then the killer T-cells revived. They started multiplying again, and cytokine production increased. "I've never seen something as black and white," said Rafick Sékaly, a professor at Canada's Université de Montréal and a leader of the team whose study was published today in Nature Medicine.

The team, led by Harvard's Dr. Walker and researchers Cheryl Day and Daniel Kaufmann, made a further finding: Not only can PD-1 shut down the killer CD8 T-cells, but it also can affect command-and-control cells, known as CD4 cells. In other words, PD-1 acts on both the infantry and the generals. In one particularly striking bit of research, Dr. Kaufmann revived CD4 cells in five of six AIDS patients whose CD4 cells had shown zero activity against HIV.

Taken together, today's studies suggest that two critical types of immune system cells -- CD8 and CD4 -- can in most patients be rescued and remobilized to fight HIV.

The Walker and Sékaly research teams both are keen to test the hypothesis by giving patients an antibody that blocks the interaction between PD-1 and its ligand. The two researchers have initiated discussions with Medarex, developer of the experimental antibody about to be tested in cancer patients. Dr. Sékaly has even sent blood samples to Medarex so that it can run laboratory experiments on them.

In addition, Harvard University researcher Gordon Freeman has made his own antibodies to PD-1 and its ligands. He is busy planning tests of them in monkeys, with an eye to testing them in humans infected with HIV and hepatitis C.

Recently, Dr. Walker launched a new study of what he terms "elite controllers," the 0.33% of HIV patients who keep the virus in check for many years without drugs. Dr. Walker believes that one reason these rare patients stay healthy may be that their immune cells lack PD-1, or that the interaction between PD-1 and its ligand might somehow be short-circuited. He has already begun to test these theories but doesn't yet have results.

A third scientific team, led by Richard Koup, chief of the immunology laboratory at the National Institutes of Health's Vaccine Research Center, also has been researching PD-1 in HIV. That study is scheduled to be published Sept. 5 in the online edition of the Journal of Experimental Medicine. Dr. Koup's team found that the interaction between PD-1 and its ligand appears to cause CD8 cells to die, not merely to stop functioning.

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 03:45:06 pm »
Of COURSE you do Jack!  Im pissing myself laughing over here!  You shady republican you!  Thanks man!
RIDE!!!

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 04:38:31 pm »
Only good paper in US.  I own shares in MEDX,unfortunately. CEO and his wife are implicated in the option scandal and it has killed the stock price. They will have restate earnings for past 5 years. they have some very interesting stuff in trials.

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 06:06:53 pm »
I dont understand a word but sounds great!
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 06:32:41 pm »
Thank you Jack...That sounds promisisng.
Poz since Jul 19 2006
Initial numbers : CD4-250 VL 3500
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Started HAART: Combivir+Efavirenz Aug 26 7:38 pm
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
February 17 Combivir stopped.
April 3 -07 : Started ddi+3tc+efavirenz...
Gay and positive (What a lack of Identity...:) )
Looking for my Ben....

Offline Eldon

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 07:37:16 pm »
Hello ACinKC, it is Eldon. Stemcell transplants? Could this be a possibility? I found a related article that I would like to share: http://www.wchstv.com/newsroom/healthyforlife/2088.shtml#transcript.

Enjoy each moment of your day.

Offline RobT

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 06:49:26 pm »
The news sounds gr8, but like blondbeauty, I do not understand a word of it

RobT

9/27/2005-1st test results
Viral Load >1,000,000
CD4 204
CD4%age 18
CD4/CD8 ratio .23
11/24/2005- Sustiva/Truvada
04/18/2006
Viral Load 140
CD4 402
CD4%age .21
CD4/CD8 ratio .39
06/27/2006
Viral Load 42
CD4 409
CD4%age .21
08/01/2006
Viral load- undetectable
CD4 493
CD4%age .33

Next lab: 09/01/2006
Current meds: Atripla
VL: undetectable
CD4: 630

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 10:29:04 pm »
Interesting. I really would like to see where this goes.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 11:52:09 pm »
Goes??  It can only go UP ! ;)

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 11:58:21 pm »
"What kind of panties? How many licks does it take for a dog to get a teaspoon of peanut butter off the roof of his mouth?  Saxophone.  3 feet tall with red hair.  Thank you."

Boxer briefs. At least 17. Tenor. My pet goblin. You're welcome.

Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 12:03:42 am »
eep.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 12:07:52 am »
oopsie..  can you pitch me another? :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.