Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:22:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773215
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 482
Total: 484

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Are you dieting now?  (Read 82225 times)

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
Re: Are you dieting now?
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2010, 11:44:47 am »
Well, it is measurement day and I have decreased in size, not that I am surprise, which means the diet is working.  My weight is now 195 lbs, a loss of 35 lbs since the doctor’s visit.  Now for the rest: the neck is still 15” unchanged; the chest is from 42” to 41”; the stomach is from 41” to 38”; the waist is from 42” to 39.5”; the butt is from 44” to 42”; the thigh is from 26.5” to 25” ( looking less like cottage cheese); the calf  is from  16.5” to 18”; and the bicep is unchanged.  I took pictures and I can see the different.  Now I have just two to three months to get to my goals of 160 lbs and stay there.  I may go vegan, but let’s not go crazy yet.  I have to find some vegan meals that I find suitable.  Onward and upward we go.  In this case, let’s stick with downward.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2010, 11:50:26 am »
Ms. P--

Yes, I did notice the difference when I stopped drinking the Pepsi. But I was still continuing to lose when I was drinking the grapefruit juice. A gymrat told me that grapefruit juice burns fat. I tend to believe it because at the time, it was basically the only thing I was drinking with an occassional glass of water. Maybe hiking up and down the subway stairs prolly helped too. Who knows?

Now if I could lose this pouch from 3 C-sections, that would be lovely. I want to have a slim waist and a gangster booty.... ;D
I say grapefruit juice was your crutch and that you should switch to water with unsweetened lemon juice.  I do not think grapefruit juice burns fat, although it has less calories that sodas and fruit juices.  The water and unsweetened lemon juice has close to zero calories.  Exercise and a proper diet burns fat, not certain foods I think.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2010, 06:23:00 am »
Another reason why I am trying to stay healthy.

Diabetes Responsible for 10% of Vascular Deaths
MedPage Today
Published: June 25, 2010
More than one in 10 heart disease deaths may be attributable to diabetes, researchers say.

In a meta-analysis of more than 100 studies, diabetes was associated with a twofold increased risk of the disease and was estimated to be accountable for 11% of vascular deaths, according to Nadeem Sarwar, MD, of the University of Cambridge in England, and colleagues.

They reported their findings online in The Lancet and will present them during an oral session at the American Diabetes Association meeting here.

"In this decade, about 10% of vascular deaths in populations in developed countries have been attributable to diabetes in adults, corresponding to an estimated 325,000 deaths per year in high-income countries alone," Sarwar and colleagues wrote.

"This burden will increase if the incidence of diabetes continues to rise, even if rates of vascular disease continue to fall because of decreases in smoking, improvements in treatment, or other reasons," they added.

There have been uncertainties about the magnitude of associations between heart disease risk and stroke, and diabetes and fasting glucose concentration.

So to quantify those associations for a wide range of circumstances, the researchers conducted a meta-analysis of individual risk factors in patients without vascular disease from studies in the Emerging Risk Factors Collaboration.

They included 698,782 patients in 102 prospective studies. The mean age was 52 and 43% were women, with the majority in Europe, North America, and Australia, and the remainder in Japan or the Caribbean.

A total of 7% of patients reported a history of diabetes at baseline.

Over the study periods, there were 52,765 nonfatal or fatal vascular outcomes.

The researchers found that patients with diabetes had around a twofold increased risk of heart disease, ischemic stroke, and other vascular deaths:

Coronary heart disease: HR 2.0, 95% CI 1.83 to 2.19
Ischemic stroke: HR 2.27, 95% CI 1.95 to 2.65
Hemorrhagic stroke: HR 1.56, 95% CI 1.19 to 2.05
Unclassified stroke: HR 1.84, 95% CI 1.59 to 2.13
Other vascular deaths: HR 1.73, 95% CI 1.51 to 1.98

The researchers said that risk was about a third higher for fatal than nonfatal myocardial infarction, "perhaps suggestive of more severe forms of coronary lesions in people with diabetes than those without, differential response of the myocardium to ischemia, or possibly in part, differential coding of deaths from coronary heart disease."

Risk of heart disease among diabetics was higher in women than in men, in patients ages 40 to 59 than those 70 and up, in nonsmokers than in smokers, and in those with below-average systolic blood pressure.

Risk of stroke was higher in women, the same younger age group, and in those with above average body mass index (BMI).

These findings, the researchers said, warrant further study.

Also, at an adult population-wide prevalence of 10%, diabetes was estimated to account for 11% of vascular deaths, they added.

Yet only moderate associations were found between impaired fasting glucose and risk of heart disease and stroke.

Fasting blood glucose concentration was non-linearly related to vascular risk, with no significant associations between 3.90 mmol/L and 5.59 mmol/L.

But risk of heart disease increased with increasing plasma glucose concentrations:

5.60 to 6.09 mmol/L: HR 1.11, 95% CI 1.04 to 1.18
6.10 to 6.99 mmol/L: HR 1.17, 95% CI 1.08 to 1.26

The researchers added that risk was "substantially higher" among those with concentrations of 7 mmol/L or higher.

The study was limited in that it may not be generalizable to patients in low- or middle-income countries.

In an accompanying commentary, Hertzel C. Gerstein, MD, of McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, said it remains unknown whether the spectrum of dysglycemia is causally related to cardiovascular outcomes.

Trials of glucose-lowering therapies have shown a modest reduction in myocardial infarction, but "the size of the effect strongly suggests that glucose is not the only player," he wrote. Others could include fatty acid and lipoprotein metabolism, visceral fat deposition, hepatic function, and renin-angiotensin, among others.

"Any or all of these factors (and others) might promote cardiovascular disease through various known and unknown mechanisms," Gerstein wrote. "Large, long-term clinical trials of insulin-replacement therapy, incretins, and other approaches targeting one or more of these abnormalities ... are certain to shed more light on the link between dysglycemia and serious outcomes."

The study was supported by the British Heart Foundation, the UK Medical Research Council, and Pfizer.

The researchers reported relationships with Denka, diaDexus, GlaxoSmithKline, Merck Sharp and Dohme, Novartis, Pfizer, and Roche.

Gerstein reported relationships with sanofi-aventis, GlaxoSmithKline, Eli Lilly, Novo Nordisk, AstraZeneca, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Roche, Medtronic, Merck, Bayer, Bioavail, and Janssen-Ortho.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2010, 08:35:03 am »
The real reason for me losing all this weight is that even 10 lbs over weight is too much. Every day I see obese people, but I never looked in the mirror until this diet. Now I know that I am obese and I am committed to become slim. Just 30 to 35 lbs to go, which translated into 3 to 4 months. Just in time for Halloween.  lol

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2010, 01:13:52 am »
I may have been over stating that 10 lbs is too much, while if I were just 10 lbs over weight, I would be happier.  That would mean just two weeks to get to my goal.  Staying on the Atkins for 37 days seems simple now, but there is still a chance to get off it.  Even when I am out, I feel either thursty which I can confuse with hungry.  I usually grab a shiskabob from a cart vendor and a bottle water.  That usually keeps my hungry at bay till I get home.

Also, I have been doing heavy weight training.  Now, my body demand more protien, which I do supply with chicken or beef.  I still have my two salads a day so there is my fiber.  I'm still shrinking in size and weight so once again I am waiting to reach my weight and size goal.  That is 160 lbs and  a 30" waist line.  That would be far from the past of 230 lbs and 50" waist line.  Yes, I will check with my doctor to make sure that my vital organs are not harmed in any way, shape or form. 

The finish line seems so far away, but I must remind myself that this race to a better body is worth the wait.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2010, 10:52:49 pm »
I have found a workout that I can keep up with.....The Wii Fit. I started working out on it today. It has a lot of workout options, scale and BMI counter. The scale says I weigh in at 150, I use to weigh about 165. I guess changing my diet and cutting off the soda did cause me to lose some weight. I still say the grapefruit juice had something to do with it too....Yeah, I know wishful thinking on my part. The BMI counter thing says normal BMI is 22, mine was 26. Not too bad, I thought it was gonna be worse.

So wish me luck on becoming a lean, mean, ghetto Queen....hehe ;D
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #106 on: July 01, 2010, 05:39:09 am »
I have found a workout that I can keep up with.....The Wii Fit. I started working out on it today. It has a lot of workout options, scale and BMI counter. The scale says I weigh in at 150, I use to weigh about 165. I guess changing my diet and cutting off the soda did cause me to lose some weight. I still say the grapefruit juice had something to do with it too....Yeah, I know wishful thinking on my part. The BMI counter thing says normal BMI is 22, mine was 26. Not too bad, I thought it was gonna be worse.

So wish me luck on becoming a lean, mean, ghetto Queen....hehe ;D
That's right,  YOU GO GIRL!!!   And congratulations on your efforts.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #107 on: July 01, 2010, 09:32:05 am »
That's right,  YOU GO GIRL!!!   And congratulations on your efforts.

Thanks. I think I'll keep my efforts posted here since it seems like you and I are the only ones posting here now....lol
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #108 on: July 02, 2010, 12:08:01 pm »
Thanks. I think I'll keep my efforts posted here since it seems like you and I are the only ones posting here now....lol
There are others reading this thread, so I'm hoopeful that this Biggest Losser thread will help others.
I did my measurements this morning and general I lost an inch in the buttocks area from 42" to 41".  With my new weight lifting workouts and diet, I am slowing getting to my goal.  I did cheat by having a gyro yesterday with everything for lunch, which included hot sauce, white sauce, and barbeque sauce.  My ketosis was down to moderate, but it went back up to large.  Now I see that my goal will be reach in two to three months at the latest.

The last time I did this diet, I lost the weight but I did not really notice it until I tried on a size 32" pants and fit them perfectly.  They were even a loose fit.  Now that I am keeping records in the form of pictures and measurement, I can see the difference. 

I wish everyone good luck in getting to your goals and keeping the weight off.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #109 on: July 02, 2010, 12:12:48 pm »
To add, I will see my Doctor next week Friday and see if my blood test indicated any problems with my diet.  My main concerns are my kidneys an liver.  The blood test will show any abnormalities if any has occurred and the doctor will make recommendations I am sure.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2010, 03:15:14 pm »
Folks may be doing more lurking than posting. I think it's just you and me, kid. But I'll keep posting my progress from time to time. I took a break today from the usual workout. I feel guilty about that but I am feeling the burn in a few places especially my legs and stomach. I'll probably jump on the Hoola Hoop game a little after dinner. If I don't do my usual workout, I atleast want to do something. Plus the Hoola Hoop games helps with my stomach area, my problem area.

For my height, 5'3, I am told I should weigh 125 but that just seems too skinny for me. So, I have made my target weight 140. Just to see how I look. Taking baby steps and shooting for 10 pounds. I don't have a measuring tape. I'll try to remember to get one while running errands tomorrow.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #111 on: July 04, 2010, 11:31:38 am »
Folks may be doing more lurking than posting. I think it's just you and me, kid. But I'll keep posting my progress from time to time. I took a break today from the usual workout. I feel guilty about that but I am feeling the burn in a few places especially my legs and stomach. I'll probably jump on the Hoola Hoop game a little after dinner. If I don't do my usual workout, I atleast want to do something. Plus the Hoola Hoop games helps with my stomach area, my problem area.

For my height, 5'3, I am told I should weigh 125 but that just seems too skinny for me. So, I have made my target weight 140. Just to see how I look. Taking baby steps and shooting for 10 pounds. I don't have a measuring tape. I'll try to remember to get one while running errands tomorrow.
I understand the it maybe too skinny thing, for afterall, you want some junk in the trunk.  But remember, it is good health that is really the goal.  And if you do reach 125lbs and don't like it, you can always balance your weight so to maintain at 140lbs.

I  have been at 195lbs for five days, while I have been also reducing in size.  This is the point when my body is maintaining weight but losing fat.  Hopefully, by two week, I will be 190lbs.  

I still cannot believe that I had allowed myself to reach 230lbs and a waist size of 42”.  (OK, 48” ) Now when I look back, I feel Dam, why I did not do something sooner.  I think basically, I had stop looking in the mirror and hallucinated that I was in good if not great shape.  All the while, I was massive while in an unhealthy body.  

So, once again I am getting into smaller and smaller pants, while really noticing the change.  Actually, my smallest jean is slipping off my ass.  Ah, what a wonderful thing to happen.  Now to lose 35 lbs to a weight of 160lbs with a waist size of 30” and I will set my next goal to stay that weight limit.  

Grapefruit juice, as you mention, is great.  I think it also acts as an appetite suppressant.  I know when I drink it, the bitter taste and the funny feeling it puts in my stomach make me not want to eat for a while.  However, as long as it works out for you, all is good.  

I am walking more and trying to get my legs cured from the pulled groin, I have now self-diagnosis.  (I will insist my doctor to send me to see a specialist who can properly diagnose the groin problem area)  Imagine my doctor wanting to cut me up and have my hips replace for a torn muscle.  Thanks goodness I am too stubborn to follow the doctor's order.  I could be wrong and I may have arthritis, but I doubt it.  If it were arthritis, I would be in greater pain and less mobile.  

The goal is still for end of October, by Halloween, and then keeps it off.  Good luck to all.

Yours truly,

Red_Dragon888

« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 11:34:59 am by red_Dragon888 »

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #112 on: July 04, 2010, 11:36:52 am »
P.S.   I think that people are interested in this link, and may just like to see our progress.  I hope more will input their progress.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #113 on: July 04, 2010, 01:38:51 pm »
Since it is the holiday,I am going to take a break today. Then back to it on Monday. I have noticed that a lot of my pants that were tight fitting are now a little baggy on me. So, I must be doing something right. Instead of catching the bus and riding it to my destination, I got off a few blocks early just to walk. At this point, I'll take my exercise where I can get it. I remember not even being motivated enough to wanna walk anywhere.

I may have to drop to 125 just to find some pants that fit. Most of the clothing stores do not have clothes for women with junk in their trunk. It's frustrating to say the least. And if someone out there following this post is motivated to better their health that is a good thing. My oldest sister motivated me to exercise. That and I got tired of hearing myself whining about my weight... :D
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2010, 12:48:50 pm »
Since it is the holiday,I am going to take a break today. Then back to it on Monday. I have noticed that a lot of my pants that were tight fitting are now a little baggy on me. So, I must be doing something right. Instead of catching the bus and riding it to my destination, I got off a few blocks early just to walk. At this point, I'll take my exercise where I can get it. I remember not even being motivated enough to wanna walk anywhere.

I may have to drop to 125 just to find some pants that fit. Most of the clothing stores do not have clothes for women with junk in their trunk. It's frustrating to say the least. And if someone out there following this post is motivated to better their health that is a good thing. My oldest sister motivated me to exercise. That and I got tired of hearing myself whining about my weight... :D
I am glad to hear that your clothes are not fitting, for to the point, my clothes are loose and I fear the day when I have to buy a new wardrobe.  That would mean 90%, if not 100%, of my old wardrobe had to go to charity or the trash. 

I have been looking around for clothes in various department stores when I finally reach a 30” waist.  Size small shirts, 30” pants and 38” suits, it’s like I going back in time in a slim guy’s body.  I do have these sizes ready to wear in storage just waiting for me the wear them. 

When it comes to walking, I am a waking guru.  The walks are getting better for I have found that if I wrap my thighs with ace-Band-Aid, there is no pain and walking is nicer. 

I must state that I use to blame the HIV medication for my steady weight gain, but it was me not trying to get in a program that would help me reach my goal of 160lbs without dying.  Atkins works for me and if I can just stay on program, the goal will be reach and I can stop hiding from the mirror.  My legs are the problem now, for they look like tree trunks.  Soon, my body will start to reduce the fat on the legs and torso and I will have the swimmer’s look that I am aiming for.   

My measurements are Friday and I expect to see at least a half-inch decrease on the torso and legs.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2010, 05:35:28 am »
Well, it is another great day and I weight now 189lbs.  Great news except that I did not anticipate to get to this weight for two weeks which means I lost four pounds in a day. (A very hot day where I am from) Well, I did work out and skipped dinner because it was late and I hate to eat and take meds just before bedtime.  Luckily, I am seeing my Doctor today and she can tell me if everything is all right with my body.  My main concerns are my kidneys and liver functions for I may have been over working them.  Every time I lose weight, I fear for the worst since in years past, weights lost meant you are dying of Aids.  That Aids dilemma will always come to my mind; however, with proper medical guidance, I still feel I can look and feel healthy in my weight goal of 160lbs, which would be satisfactory for my height of 5’8”.  I hope others are doing well in the battle of the weight control and dieting.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 05:39:19 am by red_Dragon888 »

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2010, 05:55:09 am »
I also stop drinking alcohol since yesterday for Atkins says it acts like a carbohydrate, which will increase insulin levels and turn into fat, so I am eliminating that from my diet.  This may have been the reason why I have been slowly losing weight for I have been drinking wine and vodka on the regular since Gay Pride Day.  I am not happy about giving up my one of my sinful pleasure but I will comply until I reach my weight goal. 

I cannot wait to reach 180lbs for that means I will be a 34" waist or close to a 32" waist.  Right now, my waist size is 39".  Now I have just 7" and 30lbs to go, which is better than the start of 14" and 70lbs. At least, I know what I look like when I am 30lbs off my weight goal.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2010, 01:32:25 pm »
Due to the recent heatwave over here, I could not get a good workout in, it was just too hot. Today, it has cooled down and I am at my bf's house. He has an AB-rocker so I am going to start using that when I am at his house. I have also started using Hydroxy cut, I think it is called. You mix it with water and drink it but it can only be used twice a day. I think I am seeing some improvements in my waist. I look more curvy but I just have to beat down this pouch I have from 3 C-sections. I mean even that has gone down but I just basically need to tone it up, that's where the AB-rocker comes in.

I know about those sinful pleasures. I have decided today that I need to cut back on toking the good green. Not that I am having any issues just that I have noticed that I am toking a lil too much. And since things are now stress free in my life, I think it is time for me to stop smoking. I had a good success rate the last time but I just started back up due to stressful things that were going on.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2010, 05:44:52 pm »
Due to the recent heatwave over here, I could not get a good workout in, it was just too hot. Today, it has cooled down and I am at my bf's house. He has an AB-rocker so I am going to start using that when I am at his house. I have also started using Hydroxy cut, I think it is called. You mix it with water and drink it but it can only be used twice a day. I think I am seeing some improvements in my waist. I look more curvy but I just have to beat down this pouch I have from 3 C-sections. I mean even that has gone down but I just basically need to tone it up, that's where the AB-rocker comes in.

I know about those sinful pleasures. I have decided today that I need to cut back on toking the good green. Not that I am having any issues just that I have noticed that I am toking a lil too much. And since things are now stress free in my life, I think it is time for me to stop smoking. I had a good success rate the last time but I just started back up due to stressful things that were going on.
No matter how good the “good green” is, and I know the feeling, it still maybe best to hold off until you reach your goal of loosing the pouch.  The “good green” tends to make one less active, hungrier, which does not burns calories, unless you consider lying around goring yourself while enjoying the hallucinating experience an exercise.

I am not too keen on diet drinks or products for I am loosing the weight and the Atkins’ Diet method is working well.  They all advertise you may never lose the weight unless you use their products.  However, I hope it works for you. (Note of caution: some product can harm the kidneys or liver so check the web for information and make sure your doctor check your vitals) Today, lethargic feelings, physically and mentally, hence part of my mind wanted to eat anything with sugar in it to eradicate the sensations. To combat this dilemma, I took a catnap for an hour, which was refreshing.  The raining weather may have amplified the mood. 

How I hate the thought that I may not have a piece of chocolate cake ever again, but one slice would put a couple pounds or kilos back on the body, and I worked too hard to get to a swimmer build.  It is a mind set to eat like my ancestors did 400 years ago, before sugar and grains, to stay lean. 

Right now, I have a bulge on my midsection and I cannot wait to get it off.  My mind, playing tricks, wants me think that the inches lost will not matter; however, when I compare a size small shirt with a size large or a 30” pants with a 40” pant, one can see that there is a big difference.  I guess I find it hard to believe that I have a small frame hiding in a mass of fat; well, I just have to deal with it and have a “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” point of view when I get to my goal.

Oh, I saw my doctor today and she finds my vitals are in excellent condition.  My viral load, “VL”, is “undetectable” and my “CD4” is in the range of 600.  She is worried that my CD4 is fluctuating, which maybe due to lab error, so she wants another blood test in six weeks.  My liver and kidneys vitals are also in the good range. 

I hope others are able to have a good healthy diet and I would like to hear if anyone is on “Jenny Craig,” the “Hollywood Diet,” “Nutrisystem”…etc.  Good heath, Good Dieting and have a Good Day.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2010, 10:29:16 pm »
It has been a while but I, again, just went through all my pants.  I have a total of 25 and only two are size 32".  The rest are eight 36", six 34", seven 38" and two 40".  The 40's, and 38's are easy to fit into, but I still have some time to fit into the 36's.   Time will tell if I will ever reach 32".

I am amazed that I once fit in the 32" and still had room.  Now my waist is 39" and I hope in three to four weeks at most to reach that size again.  Yes, that is a bit over ambitious, it just I am a bit anxious to lose the weight. 

I am now down to two meals a day, (chicken or some meat and a salad) and I am not hungry to eat more.  I had a sugar attack again today, but it turns out that I was just fatigue and I took a nap to rest and the attack went away. 

I hope others, if they are on a diet, are having great success in getting to their goals.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2010, 03:06:59 pm »
Actually, I have been doing good despite my toking. I don't have any sweets around when I have the munchies. I have been buying things for salads, eating veggies or eating fruit. And yes, I use to just sit around when I toke but what I do now is exercise before I toke.

Glad to hear that you labs turned out good. Keep up the good work. You're working for a swimmer's build huh? I am not trying to go to that extreme but just get rid of this gut and tone up a lil. I assume you have a time frame for this weight loss? Myself, not so much, I just know that with exercise and change of diet I will shed some pounds. I have already but I just want to motivate myself to exercise to stay in good health. Does that make sense? I know it will make a big difference with my diabetes though I have never had really really high sugars like some people in my family. Theirs tended to be in the 5-600 range. And with exercise and diet I think I can maintain mine. Time will tell once I make my way to a doctor.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2010, 06:31:13 pm »
I am glad to hear that you are still making progress.  All you have to do is keep the sweets away and do not be tempted by the eating.  I myself had a dream last night that I eat a chocolate Easter egg and tried to spit out the candy before I had swollen it.  Wow, nightmare by candy. 

Thank for the congratulations for the labs.  I am happy that it all looked OK, and even my blood sugar levels were fine, which was surprising to me.  There is diabetes in my family too so I am worried that I might becomes one if I do not watch my health. 

Yes, I have a time line but I am not worried for I want a swimmer's body for next year but I will maintain it all winter long as a means to ensure that I will not back track to the old habits of eating. 

Good health is the first priority and then comes the diet, for after all, who wants to be thin and sick.   (That what models are for)  Luckily, when one has good health that is all icing on the cake; pardon the food pun. 

Well, take care and good luck.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2010, 04:57:13 am »
Ready or not, here is my measurement for the week.  I have decided to focus on the waist and the weight for they are what matters.  The waist is 37.75" and the weight is 186lbs.  I am averaging one inch a week so to reach 30" will take to September mid-month.  I am happy with the results and now I know what I look like 25lbs over my goal.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2010, 05:17:26 am »
Ready or not, here is my measurement for the week.  I have decided to focus on the waist and the weight for they are what matters.  The waist is 37.75" and the weight is 186lbs.  I am averaging one inch a week so to reach 30" will take to September mid-month.  I am happy with the results and now I know what I look like 25lbs over my goal.
I am also averging 4lbs a week.  If this holds up, then by September 10th, eight weeks, I will be 130lbs, my goal weight.

Offline elf

« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2010, 05:46:08 am »
Eating normally (avoiding sweets) but going jogging every day for 80 minutes. My route is 13 km /8.1 miles long. :)

Offline David_CA

« Reply #125 on: July 16, 2010, 11:27:47 am »
It's all about balance...  too much fat / calories in and not enough out.  I see no reason to cut out healthy foods because they contain starch when all I need to do is exercise and cut down (or cut out) on some of the not-so-healthy things that I consume. 

I generally go to the gym every day before work and do 30 minutes of cardio.  I also go twice a week after work and work out.  If I don't have time in the morning, I go for a walk.  On weekends, I get exercise from projects, working in the yard, etc.  The point is that I increase the number of calories I burn and try to moderate some of the foods that I eat.  Sure, I'll eat pizza, fries, a burger, whatever, but just not every day (or every other day).  If a gym wasn't an option due to location, finances, or whatever, I'd have to find something else to do.  For about 13 years, I used a stair-stepper machine at home.  Besides helping keep me at a decent weight, I'm healthier due to the exercise, look better, and feel better.  Our bodies are designed for a balanced diet and a fair amount of exercise, but most of us are off balance on one or both of these.

On a side note... I take Atripla in the mornings.  Granted, Adderall helps some of the 'brain fog', but I still don't truly feel awake until I exercise. 

Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #126 on: July 17, 2010, 08:49:29 am »
It's all about balance...  too much fat / calories in and not enough out.  I see no reason to cut out healthy foods because they contain starch when all I need to do is exercise and cut down (or cut out) on some of the not-so-healthy things that I consume. 

I generally go to the gym every day before work and do 30 minutes of cardio.  I also go twice a week after work and work out.  If I don't have time in the morning, I go for a walk.  On weekends, I get exercise from projects, working in the yard, etc.  The point is that I increase the number of calories I burn and try to moderate some of the foods that I eat.  Sure, I'll eat pizza, fries, a burger, whatever, but just not every day (or every other day).  If a gym wasn't an option due to location, finances, or whatever, I'd have to find something else to do.  For about 13 years, I used a stair-stepper machine at home.  Besides helping keep me at a decent weight, I'm healthier due to the exercise, look better, and feel better.  Our bodies are designed for a balanced diet and a fair amount of exercise, but most of us are off balance on one or both of these.

On a side note... I take Atripla in the mornings.  Granted, Adderall helps some of the 'brain fog', but I still don't truly feel awake until I exercise. 

It is all about balance, but I have to get within five pounds of my weight goal, which is one hundred and sixty pounds.  Once I have that, then I can see what foods I can eat and what exercise plan I can follow to maintain my desired body form.  I have been there once, and I plan to get there again.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #127 on: July 17, 2010, 11:05:14 am »
I read an article recently, though I'll have to look to find it, about quick vs slow weight loss and the ability to maintain that loss long-term.  It was not surprising to me that the studies that showed moderate dieting plus exercise often took a couple of years (to get to the desired weight).  Diets such at South Beach and Atkins yielded much faster results, but most subjects experienced rebound due to the unrealistic restrictions of those diets (primarily Atkins).  Diets such as Weight Watchers, which are attempting to moderate most types of foods, while educating, were much more successful.  The diets that had the best long-term success and overall health results were those which moderated intake of less than desirable foods while adding exercise.  It kind of reminds me of that old story of the tortoise and the hare... slow and steady.
Black Friday 03-03-2006
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #128 on: July 17, 2010, 10:21:52 pm »
I read an article recently, though I'll have to look to find it, about quick vs slow weight loss and the ability to maintain that loss long-term.  It was not surprising to me that the studies that showed moderate dieting plus exercise often took a couple of years (to get to the desired weight).  Diets such at South Beach and Atkins yielded much faster results, but most subjects experienced rebound due to the unrealistic restrictions of those diets (primarily Atkins).  Diets such as Weight Watchers, which are attempting to moderate most types of foods, while educating, were much more successful.  The diets that had the best long-term success and overall health results were those which moderated intake of less than desirable foods while adding exercise.  It kind of reminds me of that old story of the tortoise and the hare... slow and steady.
Atkins is like the Military Boot Camp way of losing weight but I hope while I keep track this thread, and at home, I will be better able to not rebound and hence stay in my goal.  Besides, don't believe everything you read especially off the web.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2010, 10:24:11 pm »
It is also the case of "comparing  apples with oranges,"  esp. if you do not have all the facts. 

Offline David_CA

« Reply #130 on: July 17, 2010, 10:58:46 pm »
Atkins is like the Military Boot Camp way of losing weight but I hope while I keep track this thread, and at home, I will be better able to not rebound and hence stay in my goal.  Besides, don't believe everything you read especially off the web.

What I mentioned about long-term 'sensible' diets vs what are considered 'fad' diets seems like common sense to me.  We should exercise more and eat what we're supposed to, not cut out most of an entire class of foods.  Most people I know who have done Atkins have not maintained their weight loss.  Did you lose the weight you mentioned with Atkins or something else?  I think that the high failure rates are due to the difficulty of long-term compliance.

While I'm not losing a lot of weight currently, I am putting on muscle.  When I miss a few workout days at the gym due to being out of town, my weight drops a bit because I still get a fair amount of exercise without gaining muscle.
Black Friday 03-03-2006
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2010, 11:05:17 am »
What I mentioned about long-term 'sensible' diets vs what are considered 'fad' diets seems like common sense to me.  We should exercise more and eat what we're supposed to, not cut out most of an entire class of foods.  Most people I know who have done Atkins have not maintained their weight loss.  Did you lose the weight you mentioned with Atkins or something else?  I think that the high failure rates are due to the difficulty of long-term compliance.

While I'm not losing a lot of weight currently, I am putting on muscle.  When I miss a few workout days at the gym due to being out of town, my weight drops a bit because I still get a fair amount of exercise without gaining muscle.
i know people who had great success with atkins and they do not need to advertise.  in time we shall see.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2010, 06:05:52 pm »
i know people who had great success with atkins and they do not need to advertise.  in time we shall see.

I know a bunch, too.  They were successful... until their weight came back.  Before that, they were always hungry.  Me, I'll just eat (mostly) what I want and exercise.   ;)   Good luck to you!
Black Friday 03-03-2006
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #133 on: July 20, 2010, 06:42:52 am »
I know a bunch, too.  They were successful... until their weight came back.  Before that, they were always hungry.  Me, I'll just eat (mostly) what I want and exercise.   ;)   Good luck to you!
Well, I pretty much have the shape of you and I like it.  At least, of the picture you have up on the forum.  

My weight came back because I took shortcuts, allowed someone to convince me that I looked too thin, I felt too thin and my legs looked like sticks, I had feared that HIV was the real reason for my thinness, and/or I just stop the Atkins diet for I thought I was thin and I did not need the diet anymore.  Hence, I went to 230lbs in a couple of months.

Now I know I have sensitivity to sugar and certain foods so I must watch what I eat.  My legs look less like cottage cheese and more like American cheese.  My stomach looks good (a little ripple is showing) and I feel I need to lose just ten more pounds to be happy, but I rather lose twenty-five more just to see what I would look like.

I too, "Me, I'll just eat (mostly) what I want and exercise," but what I eat is more conducive to not make me gain weight.  I still may have a piece of cake (sugar free) on New Years, but I ain't worried about it.  My favorite treat is cold chocolate milk.  It is made without sugar and tastes good.  I also have been working out hard at the gym, so I am also building muscle as well as losing fat.

Thanks for caring and good luck to you too.   :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 06:57:09 am by red_Dragon888 »

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #134 on: July 22, 2010, 02:07:58 am »
I am at the point that I am not losing weight, but I am getting shapely.  I guess the muscle/fat ratio is equalizing with the fat reducing in mass while the muscle is raising in mass.  Still, I just hope that have a "six pack" so I can go shirtless and feel sexy before winter.  ;) 

The cold chocolate milk treat I'd mentioned before is really cocoa with heavy cream, crushed ice and water.  I never knew that cocoa could taste so good without sugar.  Now if I can make a cocoa cake without sugar and like it, that would be great.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #135 on: July 22, 2010, 08:03:28 am »
but what I eat is more conducive to not make me gain weight.

It's not "WHAT" you eat that causes one to gain weight -- it's the "AMOUNT" of it that does.  Of course eating fruit over french fries is a good thing -- but french fries, on occasion won't cause weight gain.
I've been using Weight Watchers and continue to eat mostly the same foods I always have -- just less.  Guess what -- 9 weeks in -- I'm down 23.8 lbs.  This approach is far more sustainable for me, because nothing is "forbidden" -- which would just make me want it.

Good luck,

Mike

Offline NycJoe

« Reply #136 on: July 22, 2010, 06:33:31 pm »
I am also on a sensible diet.  Sensible in that it does not eliminate ANYTHING from my diet.  I can have carbs, fats, you name it.  It is ALL about moderation.  As Bocker mentioned, french fries are not evil.  Eating them every day and in great quantity is.  For me, I eat right 5-6 days a week then I have my "free" day or two where i eat what I want.  I have lost 15 pounds like this in a month and will continue to do so.  I do the treadmill every day for 30 minutes in addition.  If you tell your body that you can't have this or that, that is ALL it's going to want.  LOL  Trust me, I know and have been there.  I look forward to Saturday when I can have pancakes for breakfast and a burger for dinner.  Just keep moving!  That is the key.

Joe

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2010, 12:17:43 am »
It's not "WHAT" you eat that causes one to gain weight -- it's the "AMOUNT" of it that does.  Of course eating fruit over french fries is a good thing -- but french fries, on occasion won't cause weight gain.
I've been using Weight Watchers and continue to eat mostly the same foods I always have -- just less.  Guess what -- 9 weeks in -- I'm down 23.8 lbs.  This approach is far more sustainable for me, because nothing is "forbidden" -- which would just make me want it.

Good luck,

Mike
I do not disagree with your statement, "It's not "WHAT" you eat that causes one to gain weight -- it's the "AMOUNT" of it that does;" however, and this is a my opinion, what I eat may cause weight gain.  I can only assume that your metabolism is different for my own, so it is again comparing "apples with oranges."  (yeah, apples and oranges my make me gain weight if I am not careful)  I am glad that Weight Watchers works for you. My it keep working until you reach your ideal weight or size.

P.S.  If I workout like five hours a day, eating would not be a problem.  Of course, it depends on the workout.  I feel like dancing.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 12:30:38 am by red_Dragon888 »

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2010, 12:20:07 am »
I am also on a sensible diet.  Sensible in that it does not eliminate ANYTHING from my diet.  I can have carbs, fats, you name it.  It is ALL about moderation.  As Bocker mentioned, french fries are not evil.  Eating them every day and in great quantity is.  For me, I eat right 5-6 days a week then I have my "free" day or two where i eat what I want.  I have lost 15 pounds like this in a month and will continue to do so.  I do the treadmill every day for 30 minutes in addition.  If you tell your body that you can't have this or that, that is ALL it's going to want.  LOL  Trust me, I know and have been there.  I look forward to Saturday when I can have pancakes for breakfast and a burger for dinner.  Just keep moving!  That is the key.

Joe
Yes, exercise is also helpful in gaining muscle and losing fat.  Congratulations on your success.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2010, 06:36:26 am »
I am not happy with measurement day, but I did lose half an inch on the waist, and lost 1 pound to 185lbs.  Now I am thinking that there are the days of my really discontent.  It is the season of the last angry few inches.  The last eight inches will be the longest and the last 25lbs also.  As long as I am making progress, it is just a waiting game.  

I have a new book on weight training called, "Strength Training, The complete step-by-step guide to a stronger, sculpted body," ISBN 978-0-7566--5447-4.  It's a really good book with illustration details of the muscle areas and different level guides for working out.  I just skipped to the weight training part and will start it this week at the gym.

My projection of my goal is for mid-September, and again, I just have to wait and do what I have to do to meet my goal.  It feels like a tumultuous task, but I am willing an able.  I hope others are doing just as well.  Have a great day.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2010, 07:56:08 am »
I do not disagree with your statement, "It's not "WHAT" you eat that causes one to gain weight -- it's the "AMOUNT" of it that does;" however

But you do, Blanche, you do disagree.............

and this is a my opinion, what I eat may cause weight gain.

Again, I will state a fact (a fact that really can't be ignored) -- the food doesn't cause weight gain -- it's the calories that cause weight gain -- well the excess calories.  A calorie is a calorie -- whether from a cube of refined sugar or from a leaf of lettuce.

I'm happy for you and your success -- and hope it continues, but I also know how desperate some folks are for the "easy solution" to weight and I think it's important that they keep hearing the truth -- burn more calories than you eat and you will lose weight -- no matter the type of food you put in your mouth.

Mike

Offline NycJoe

« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2010, 09:20:51 am »
Isn't that the truth.  My doctor told me I could eat a hot fudge sundae and donuts every day and as long as I burned MORE calories then I took in I would still lose.  Of course I wouldn't be getting all the  nutrients I need but you get my drift.  Calorie deficit to lose weight.  Case closed.  Now doing a low carb or some kind of diet like that may take it off faster, but it can not be maintained.  Moderation people!  I had McD's fries last saturday and still lost 2 pounds this week.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2010, 03:02:07 pm »

Again, I will state a fact (a fact that really can't be ignored) -- the food doesn't cause weight gain -- it's the calories that cause weight gain -- well the excess calories.  A calorie is a calorie -- whether from a cube of refined sugar or from a leaf of lettuce.

I'm happy for you and your success -- and hope it continues, but I also know how desperate some folks are for the "easy solution" to weight and I think it's important that they keep hearing the truth -- burn more calories than you eat and you will lose weight -- no matter the type of food you put in your mouth.

Mike
Ignorants is truly bliss for she who does not know exposes her intelligence. May I ask one question before I prove how ignorant I am, where do you get your facts from.  I guess from the book of knowledge listed under "make it up as I go along guide." lol  Sorry, but I do have my moments of joviality.

I figure you are lashing out at me for your own reasons.  Simply put, you have your guide and I have mine.  Let's just agree to disagree. BTW, I am burning calories and I am eating what I think will help me get to my goal weight and I have read "The Atkins Revolution Diet," cover to cover and I am betting you just found facts on the web for your arguments.  As for your insinuation of a "bad diet,"  you have failed to convince me what makes it a "bad diet."  I eat lettuce, tomato, and beef, and chicken and cucumber, ( ha, made yu say cum)   ;D and avocado, and egg, and shrimp and onions, and garlic and lamb chops, and hamburgers, and cheese and ... yes, I eat different proteins and low carbohydrates, but I seriously limit my high carbohydrates intake and I exercise to add to the mix.  How is that bad?  Is it that you can't have your "cake and eat it too?"  Pardon the PUN.  ;)  (ha, made you say pun)  ;D

Oh... sorry, I just realize that I just wished it away and therefore I am thin.   So there.  :D

PS I get it.  "Food don't causes fat." The world is flat, the sun circles the earth and "dish ran away with the spoon." lol Get over it.   8)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 11:50:05 am by red_Dragon888 »

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2010, 03:11:13 pm »
Isn't that the truth.  My doctor told me I could eat a hot fudge sundae and donuts every day and as long as I burned MORE calories then I took in I would still lose.  Of course I wouldn't be getting all the  nutrients I need but you get my drift.  Calorie deficit to lose weight.  Case closed.  Now doing a low carb or some kind of diet like that may take it off faster, but it can not be maintained.  Moderation people!  I had McD's fries last saturday and still lost 2 pounds this week.
Please be warn that you eat at McD's at your own risk.  Did you ever see the video of the workers taking a bath where they clean the cooking utensils.  lol  Again, "if you can't handle the heat, stay the HELL out of the kitchen."  I never said it was a popular diet, for even I, way back when, was very questionable in giving up my treats which were my mainstay of life.  I was a whole cake a day man myself, with a bag of potato chips, a liter of soda and cookies just in case the sugar levels get low and the always get low.  Heck, I thought that sugar was a missing vitamin. 

No doubt, I will have my treats when I meet my weight goal, but by then I will know what will help me maintain my weight and what amount will blow me up again, but thanks for yur concern.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2010, 03:18:14 pm »
A whole cake in one day?  I have a difficult time eating one slice in one sitting, the icing is so rich.  I can also make a pint of ice cream last three weeks.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2010, 03:22:51 pm »

Again, I will state a fact (a fact that really can't be ignored) -- the food doesn't cause weight gain -- it's the calories that cause weight gain -- well the excess calories.  A calorie is a calorie -- whether from a cube of refined sugar or from a leaf of lettuce.

eating a pound of chocolate cake is not the same as eating  a pound of lettuce.  you mean to say that the pound of cake calories intake are the same as the lettuce calorie intake?  I think not.  Besides, when I say food and you insist I should say calories, then "my back."   Later on there will be a class on how the molecular structure of the atom can affect the biological factors of the metabolic system of the human body.  Please have your text and notebooks ready for there will be an exam after the class.   :D  

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2010, 03:26:27 pm »
A whole cake in one day?  I have a difficult time eating one slice in one sitting, the icing is so rich.  I can also make a pint of ice cream last three weeks.
Dam, I forgot that I always had cake with ice cream. That is right, a half a gallon in two days. yes, my sweet tooth has no bounds.  Hi, my name is red_Dragon888 and I am a Sugar Addict.  Sweets are my kryptonite.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 11:46:00 am by red_Dragon888 »

Offline bocker3

« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2010, 04:40:06 pm »
eating a pound of chocolate cake is not the same as eating  a pound of lettuce.  you mean to say that the pound of cake calories intake are the same as the lettuce calorie intake?  I think not.  Besides, when I say food and you insist I should say calories, then "my back."   Later on there will be a class on how the molecular structure of the atom can affect the biological factors of the metabolic system of the human body.  Please have your text and notebooks ready for there will be an exam after the class.   :D  

Darling -- read what I wrote than talk to me about ignorance -- A calorie is a calorie no matter where it came from.  Now, of course there are more calories in a pound of chocolate cake than in a pound of lettuce.  Again, I was pointing out that it isn't about the food type -- it's about the calories.  The body uses (or stores) these calories the same way.  I am not making this up as I go along sunshine -- I have a medical background with a couple of degrees to go with it, so can your smugness. 

Now -- I am not lashing out at you (prior paragraph excluded, as it was a bit of a lash) -- I am happy as can be that your approach is working for you.  I have and will continue to wish you success in it.  I am simply trying to insure that you don't misinform others that it's the food that matters -- it doesn't, it's the calories in vs. the calories burned.  It's quite simple math.  One can have a poor diet, nutritionally, and still lose weight if they burn more than they eat.  Deny it all you want, but the math will speak for itself.

Mike

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #148 on: July 24, 2010, 11:42:52 am »
Darling -- read what I wrote than talk to me about ignorance -- A calorie is a calorie no matter where it came from.  Now, of course there are more calories in a pound of chocolate cake than in a pound of lettuce.  Again, I was pointing out that it isn't about the food type -- it's about the calories.  The body uses (or stores) these calories the same way.  I am not making this up as I go along sunshine -- I have a medical background with a couple of degrees to go with it, so can your smugness. 

Now -- I am not lashing out at you (prior paragraph excluded, as it was a bit of a lash) -- I am happy as can be that your approach is working for you.  I have and will continue to wish you success in it.  I am simply trying to insure that you don't misinform others that it's the food that matters -- it doesn't, it's the calories in vs. the calories burned.  It's quite simple math.  One can have a poor diet, nutritionally, and still lose weight if they burn more than they eat.  Deny it all you want, but the math will speak for itself.

Mike
Dear Sweetheart,
I am just playing and letting you explain your point of view.  As for your credentials, I find the smartest people can be the dumbest. (present company excluded of course, maybe) lol 

You just caught me in a joking mood and I, like you, am just helping us to make a stronger point.  I am sure that others who read this will find the argument interesting and enlightening.  Oh yes, the math will speak for itself, that we both agree on.  Besides, Atkins is agreeing with your view.  How odd?  Did you read his book I wonder?   ;)

Take care.

Yours,

red_Dragon888

Offline bocker3

« Reply #149 on: July 24, 2010, 12:33:35 pm »
Dear Sweetheart,
I am just playing and letting you explain your point of view.  As for your credentials, I find the smartest people can be the dumbest. (present company excluded of course, maybe) lol 

You just caught me in a joking mood and I, like you, am just helping us to make a stronger point.  I am sure that others who read this will find the argument interesting and enlightening.  Oh yes, the math will speak for itself, that we both agree on.  Besides, Atkins is agreeing with your view.  How odd?  Did you read his book I wonder?   ;)

Take care.

Yours,

red_Dragon888

Yes, I did read Atkins -- and I tried his diet.  The day I realized that I had eaten too many vegetables and couldn't eat any more, but COULD consume more bacon or eggs, I decided that this wasn't for me. 
I don't argue this approaches ability to succeed in removing weight, but from a nutritional standpoint, limiting vegetables and avoiding fruit in favor of meat seems a little off-kilter.

Again -- I wish you success.

Mike

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.